Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:00 am
First Year

Re: Harry and Ginny - Where to From Here v7

Quote:
Originally posted by jelly_legs
I think so too....Or at least I hope so... I believe they will end up together after Voldemort's death. I can just picture Harry, after finishing Voldemort off, running towards her and kissing her.
As much as I would love for that to happen, I think that Harry will dissappear and no one will hear from him, at least for a few days but then eventually, I agree, Harry and Ginny will end up together.

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:00 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I also thought that Hermione would be the one to spill the beans. If Hermione thinks that Ginny might have any use in the Horcrux search, I could see Hermione telling her about it without first consulting Harry. She has done it before (like with McGonagall and the Firebolt in PoA).
i agree hermione is a very likely suspect. i don't see ron doing it. he's very loyal to harry and seems to still always see ginny as a little girl. i could see ron's loyal streak coming out in this respect and agreeing with harry that she doesn't need to know and wouldn't understand. another option i think might be likely is her finding out while the trio is at the burrow, but not due to anyone telling her directly. i could see the trio sneaking off to ron's room to discuss developments and strategies and ginny following with fred and george's most clever, most mentioned, and most used invention: the extendable ears.

"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"

"Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!"...this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiKels View Post
Because Ginny resembles Lily, it is almost as if Harry is viewing Ginny as a reminder of his mother. He can't ever talk to his mother again, but Ginny is still there. I don't mean to say that Harry loves Ginny because she is a constant reminder of his mother, but I like the idea of the literary parallel between Harry and Ginny, and Lily and James.

Anyway...back to the actual topic. I think that Harry is going to try to stick to his noble ideals about leaving Ginny to do his duty and find the horcruxes. However, Ginny has never been one to sit around while Harry (or any other of the people she is close to) is in danger. And Ginny can most likely be an asset to Harry. She has already proven to him (in the ministry of magic) that she can defend herself and fight without serious injury. (and, hey, she is good at that Bat-Bogey Hex.) However, I don't know anything specific that she is particularly good at. But who knows what she can do. We have never really seen her at clases in Hogwarts.

They're going to have some type of meeting during Deathly Hallows. J.K. Rowling has spent a while setting them up and I don't think she is just going to completely seperate them now. If the book was going to have a happy, fairytale ending, Ginny and Harry would end up together. With the books being like they are, I'm not really sure what will happen to them in the end.
What do you think of the much presented cliche that "Men tend to marry women who remind them of their mothers" etc.?

Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:14 am
First Year

Ginny's personality suits Harry's personality very well. I don't think Harry likes her just because she looks a bit like Lily. In fact, I don't know if they actually look that much alike.

Ginny: flaming red hair, flowing down her back; has brown eyes
Lily: dark red hair, falling thickly down to her shoulders; has emerald eyes

Plus, Harry really never knew his mom so I highly doubt he fell for Ginny because she reminded him of his mom. I think he fell for her because she's got the perfect qualities for him.

There is differently a parallel between Harry and Ginny and James and Lily. However, the parallel is not just merely looks or superficial character. Harry and James are very different and so are Ginny and Lily. I think the parallel is there to show the love the couples share and how strong they can be together.

Kings of Europe: '77, '78, '81, '84, '05

You'll Never Walk Alone
Old April 22nd, 2007, 3:03 am
Second Year

Ginny's the only one he can end up with. What other choice is there? Introduce a new character? nada

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:22 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally posted by YNWA
Ginny's personality suits Harry's personality very well. I don't think Harry likes her just because she looks a bit like Lily. In fact, I don't know if they actually look that much alike.

Ginny: flaming red hair, flowing down her back; has brown eyes
Lily: dark red hair, falling thickly down to her shoulders; has emerald eyes

Plus, Harry really never knew his mom so I highly doubt he fell for Ginny because she reminded him of his mom. I think he fell for her because she's got the perfect qualities for him.

There is differently a parallel between Harry and Ginny and James and Lily. However, the parallel is not just merely looks or superficial character. Harry and James are very different and so are Ginny and Lily. I think the parallel is there to show the love the couples share and how strong they can be together.
I have to admit, the physical similarities between James/Lily and Harry/Ginny were originally why I didn't like the Harry/Ginny ship. I thought it was slightly Oedipal (altough I didn't know that word when I thought it :P) and I also was guilty of underestimating Ginny.

After OotP, I became a huge H/G fan and have been ever since. Because up until OotP, we hadn't really seen either Lily or Ginny's personalities, nor had we seen the egotistical James. After that, the differences were extremely apparent. In fact, I would say that if we are going to compare relationships, that Ron and Hermione are more like James and Lily. Harry and Ginny have a relationship that is all their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_Patterson
Ginny's the only one he can end up with. What other choice is there? Introduce a new character? nada
Well, some people would argue that he could end up with Luna, Hermione, or one of the other girls, but it isn't just that there isn't another choice. Harry and Ginny are perfect for each other because Ginny can get through to him in a way the others can't, she's powerful enough to hold her own beside him, and he is already a close family friend. In that way, there is no other choice because Ginny is his perfect fit, not just because no other girl characters have a large enough role to be plausible.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old April 22nd, 2007, 5:27 am
Banned

So we know that Harry's power that voldemort doesn't have or know about is LOVE and that will help vanquish him? I wonder how. Will he see Ginny and Harry loving each other so much that it completely astounds him causing him to let down his guard and then someone else (eg Snape or even Wormtail?) finishes him off?
The mind boggles. Either way I hope they end up together in life (preferably) or death.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 9:36 am
Fifth Year

I still see Harry and 'the dark lord' dead, and Ginny crying over Harry's body. Sorry about that, but that's what I think will happen!

Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:17 am
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling7 View Post
So we know that Harry's power that voldemort doesn't have or know about is LOVE and that will help vanquish him? I wonder how. Will he see Ginny and Harry loving each other so much that it completely astounds him causing him to let down his guard and then someone else (eg Snape or even Wormtail?) finishes him off?
The mind boggles. Either way I hope they end up together in life (preferably) or death.
I think we got a preview of it in Order of the Phoenix, near the end when Voldemort was possessing Harry in the ministry the mere thought that he was going to see Sirius again sent Voldemort screaming out of his mind like he'd been scalded. Now Harry was beginning to see Sirius at that time as a combination Brother / Father figure and the emotional intensity of that possibility of a reunion had affected Voldemort severely. How much more intense would the emotion be if Harry knew he's going to be reunited with a live Ginny?

We know love is an alien concept to Voldemort and we've seen that the emotion behind it can actually affect him too. Frankly Harry doesn't stand a chance in a one on one duel with Voldemort so there must be another way for him to win here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1771 View Post
I still see Harry and 'the dark lord' dead, and Ginny crying over Harry's body. Sorry about that, but that's what I think will happen!
What you think will happen or what you hope will happen?

To me, and I'll be the first to admit I've become quite attached to them as a couple, that kind of ending while possible doesn't seem probable. It would, I think, be at odds with the elements of the story that Jo has already spun as well as being something of a cop out ending for Jo. 'Neither can live while the other survives.' suggests to me that the final resolution will have Harry not only surviving but living his future and if it comes to that place then Ginny will be a part of it.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Deevo
'Neither can live while the other survives.' suggests to me that the final resolution will have Harry not only surviving but living his future and if it comes to that place then Ginny will be a part of it.

They broke up at the end of HBP, but the way JKR wrote it.... They still have considerably deep feelings for each other. It's just that stupid Voldemort and stupid evil is getting in between them . So, yeah, I agree with Deevo; Harry survives the war and his relationship with Ginny will eventually go back to the way it was...hopefully anyway.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:12 pm
Fifth Year

It is often said that people are commonly attracted to those who are similar to their opposite gender parent. Much has been made of Ginny's similarity to Lily, both in looks and personality. Does anyone see similarities between Harry and Mr. Weasley?

Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:25 pm
First Year

Here I am again!

I'm sorry, but I just noticed that dweaselqueen posted something...

Quote:
Originally posted by dweaselqueen
Well, some people would argue that he could end up with Luna, Hermione, or one of the other girls, but it isn't just that there isn't another choice.
Yup, there IS not any other choice . Harry and Ginny belong together...but that's not why I quoted. It is because...well...I know you said SOME people and I'm not directing this to you, but...HE COULD NEVER END UP WITH HERMIONE!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!

Okay I'm done...note that a melodramatic heron shipper posted this...

Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:41 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post
It is often said that people are commonly attracted to those who are similar to their opposite gender parent. Much has been made of Ginny's similarity to Lily, both in looks and personality. Does anyone see similarities between Harry and Mr. Weasley?
Personally I feel that the parental similarities in appearance and character are less important than many might consider. Consider the common points.

Appearance:
  • Ginny and Lily: Both have red hair though Lily's is described as a dark auburn shade while Ginny's is the classic Weasley flaming red, beyond that we know little of Lily's appearance beyond the vague descriptions Harry has offered us.
  • Harry and James: Being father and son it's not at all surprising that they have a resemblance.
Personality:
  • Ginny and Lily: Beyond both having been seen to stand up for the underdogs we know little else about Lily's personality beyond that she had little time for James as a fifteen year old yet by the time they were seventeen they were a firm couple.
  • Harry and James: Well unlike their appearance Harry and James seem about as far removed from each other personality wise as it is possible to be. Where James seems to have been the classic prankster a la the twins Harry is a much more reserved character.
Couple dynamic:
  • Again we haven't much to go on but from what we've seen James and Lily seem to fall more into the squabbling couple dynamic much like Ron and Hermione though with far more self confidence. It's a bit difficult to judge though as we have had limited vision of the former. As far as other established couples we only have Arthur and Molly as examples and again their couple dynamic seems to be more like Ron and Hermione's than anyone else. Because of their respective life traumas and trials it would appear that Harry and Ginny seem to fall into something of a category of their own in that respect being as a relationship between equals but, like James and Lily before them, we've barely seen the start of it so it's a bit difficult to judge at this point.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 5:11 pm
Sixth Year

Hmmm maybe its just me, but ive never liked the fact that Harry and Ginny resemble James and Lily a lot, i think its just kinda creepy.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 7:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I also thought that Hermione would be the one to spill the beans. If Hermione thinks that Ginny might have any use in the Horcrux search, I could see Hermione telling her about it without first consulting Harry. She has done it before (like with McGonagall and the Firebolt in PoA).

However, I think that Ginny will be involved at the end. If she isn't involved to a great extent in the Horcrux Hunt, she is going to be in the battle. It is only when Harry sees Ginny in battle that he will stop underestimating her. While Harry is always alone at the climax, he always needs other people to get there. With love being Harry's greatest power, he is going to need Ginny, his romantic love, to propel him to the final conflict. As well as the trio, and Hagrid, and other various members of the order.

Harry going to need a lot of people when you think of it. I don't see Hagrid (since I think he's going to be long gone before the end of the book, as with Remus, Tonks, etc). Ron and Hermione for sure...and you could be right about Ginny. The confrontaiton is so deeply personal between LV and Harry that I don't see a lot of people standing around. Yes, Ginny could be a help, not a hinderence in the sense he will be so worried about her (hope that does not happen). When you think about it, Harry worrying about Ginny might be a problem.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 9:17 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter
hmm....I can't think of any similarities between Harry and Mr. Weasley off hand. But then, Hermione doesn't seem to resemble Molly much either, at least not to Ron. Both Hermione and Molly nag Harry to some extent, but I don't think that's why Ron is attracted to her. In fact, the only character who resembles a parent is Ginny to Lily, but even that is based more on looks than on personality.

Quote:
Originally posted by banana_fritter
Yup, there IS not any other choice . Harry and Ginny belong together...but that's not why I quoted. It is because...well...I know you said SOME people and I'm not directing this to you, but...HE COULD NEVER END UP WITH HERMIONE!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!

Okay I'm done...note that a melodramatic heron shipper posted this...
Hey, as long as that isn't directed at me, be as melodramatic as you want. Because I totally agree.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old April 23rd, 2007, 5:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveros View Post
Hmmm maybe its just me, but ive never liked the fact that Harry and Ginny resemble James and Lily a lot, i think its just kinda creepy.
There is nothing creepy about a son resembling his father, and apart from being popular girls (they are not the only ones) I don't see how Ginny and Lily resemble each other in a creepy way. One has dark red hair, the other tomato red. So they are both fond of Harry, that happens to every man, he has (had) a mother who loves him and then (years later) a girlfriend. I dont think JK has ever meant for Lily and Ginny to resemble each other, I think that comes from fandom.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
There is nothing creepy about a son resembling his father, and apart from being popular girls (they are not the only ones) I don't see how Ginny and Lily resemble each other in a creepy way. One has dark red hair, the other tomato red. So they are both fond of Harry, that happens to every man, he has (had) a mother who loves him and then (years later) a girlfriend. I dont think JK has ever meant for Lily and Ginny to resemble each other, I think that comes from fandom.
They have resemblances, but nothing too startling really. I agree with you about JKR not intentionally making them resemble each other. But perhaps they had similar personalities. Perhaps in book 7, as we learn more about Lily, we will see whether this holds true or not. From what we already know, however, they both seem to be very cheeky characters who are not afraid to speak their mind. Their aesthetic look has little to do with their actual similarities, IMO.

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:16 am
Second Year

They seem similar also from meeting each other at the school. In both cases, it took the guy a while before noticing and later doing something about the attraction. So it goes a little more then just fleeting looks. Now it would be very similar if JKR chooses to go the ending with Ginny trying to sacrifice herself for Harry. Now that would be a bit too much.

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Actually, I got the impression that James had had a crush on Lily for a while, where Harry didn’t notice Ginny in that way until their sixth year.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies