Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

More Metamorphmagi

Old April 24th, 2007, 10:58 pm
Second Year

More Metamorphmagi

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Do you think we'll see another Metamorph, and do you think you know who it will be?

I think we will... as for who it isprobably someone we won't expect and who has been in the background.

Regulus maybe, or Aberforth?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:00 pm
First Year

Re: More Metamorphmagus'

I think harry will end up doing it to get to get an edge up on his quest/voldemort.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:05 pm
Second Year

Very interesting idea... Harry learning to become one. I like it! Though I think it's been said that it is very difficult to learn if you weren't born with the ability... so that may take up too much time for this to be the last book if Harry is spending all his time learning to do it.

But again good idea.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:08 pm
First Year

it's possable he inherited it from his dad and just hav'nt discovered it yet. I mean, he never tried before. You never know.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jookyle_ View Post
it's possable he inherited it from his dad and just hav'nt discovered it yet. I mean, he never tried before. You never know.
remember, though, that james potter was not a metamorphmagus, he was an animagus. also, we have no evidence that being an animagus is an inherited trait, as there do not appear to be any within the same family [at least that we have seen].

"Why does everyone in L.A. dress like they are from some horrible version of the future?"

Ahhh, words of wisdom from MGG

Mark my words, MGG is PURE GENIUS.
[Strange, yes, but genius. ]
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmywheezy View Post
remember, though, that james potter was not a metamorphmagus, he was an animagus. also, we have no evidence that being an animagus is an inherited trait, as there do not appear to be any within the same family [at least that we have seen].
rofl, I forgot there were two. But anyways, it's not like we've encountered that many families with metamorphmagus/animagus. It's pretty open to the possablilities.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Student

I think that Harry could learn to be one if he thought that it would be helpful. I don't see him doing it just for fun though.

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:22 pm
Second Year

Actually, I have been wondering if this talent by Tonks or anyone else is important to the plot at all. Polyjuice potion makes for a better disguise. If we can't think of a use for it, why would JKR bother making another metamorph...

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:22 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jookyle_ View Post
But anyways, it's not like we've encountered that many families with metamorphmagus/animagus. It's pretty open to the possablilities.
that is true. it isn't over until the book is out and rowling has said it's over. we still may see a lot of things we have't seen quite yet. as for this being one of them....who knows?

"Why does everyone in L.A. dress like they are from some horrible version of the future?"

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, this is far out in left field but JKR did say that someone was going to do magic later in life. What if being a metamorph is a dormant gene in Harry's family and it just now shows up? Kind of like being born with blue eyes but eventually many people eye color changes later. Or your born blonde but by the time you're ten you're brown?

Old April 24th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Well, this is far out in left field but JKR did say that someone was going to do magic later in life. What if being a metamorph is a dormant gene in Harry's family and it just now shows up? Kind of like being born with blue eyes but eventually many people eye color changes later. Or your born blonde but by the time you're ten you're brown?
hmmm. interesting proposal. one would assume, though, that such a gift-one that one is supposedly 'born with'-would present itself earlier in life. one may point out the fact that harry was able to sponataneously re-grow hair when petunia cut it so short. i myself would use this argument, BUT:

Harry is a Metamorphmagus
A Metamorphmagus is a wizard who has the innate ability to transform their appearance completely, for instance, from black to white, young to old, handsome to plain and so on. In Harry's extreme youth, he produced some impressive bits of uncontrolled magic when under stress, including making his own hair re-grow overnight after a particularly brutal haircut from Aunt Petunia (a dream that had its roots in my own childhood. My mother, God bless her, had the idea that she was much more skilled with the kitchen scissors than she really was, and I had a couple of shockingly dreadful 'trims' at her hands. How I wished that I could simply stick it all back on…)

Anyway: before they have received training, very young witches and wizards are prone to unstable surges of power, often accidentally producing effects that they may have to train for a few years to be able to reproduce deliberately. Their magical ability is bottled up for weeks at a time and then, when made angry or frightened, it simply explodes out of them, sometimes (as in the case of the vanishing glass in the chapter of the same name, 'Philosopher's Stone) causing at least as much inconvenience to themselves as others.

So Harry is not a Metamorphmagus – just a boy who was clearly magical from birth.

^^^ this comes from the rumors bin on rowling's official site. i think it's safe to say, then, that harry is not an animagus.

in my opinion, the 'magic later in life' will come from someone who has yet to show any ability at all.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:05 am
First Year

im sure there will be another one, because its just such a good story line.. but i definately don't think it will be Harry, or he will inherit it because i james had been a metamorph he wouldn't have had to work at turning into a stag, remember sirius said it took them the better half of 5 years or something?
i think if harry turned out to be one, it would make him seem so perfect and not like a normal teenager- wich is what JK has been trying to achieve amidst magic and vm and everything

Harry: You can't give a Dementor the old one-two!

Harry: So light a fire!
Hermione: Yes...of course...but there's no wood!
Ron: HAVE YOU GONE MAD! ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!
Old April 25th, 2007, 1:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culte Ventosus View Post
Actually, I have been wondering if this talent by Tonks or anyone else is important to the plot at all. Polyjuice potion makes for a better disguise. If we can't think of a use for it, why would JKR bother making another metamorph...
Polyjuice potion has to be redrunk because it only lasts so long. A Metamorph can change and stay that way as long as they choose. To me that would seem an easier way to be in disguise, not having to worry about whether you've drunk your potion.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 25th, 2007, 4:10 am
Third Year

It wouldn't be Aberforth... and I don't really think Regulus would be one (no reasoning, it just doesn't strike my fancy). But those are the only two people that we have heard of but not seen yet, aren't they? Hmm.... Tonks and Lupin's kid that everyone knows they should have together?

Harry won't learn it. He doesn't have the time--Metamorphmagi are born, not made, as Tonks put it.

Now that I can't think of any people that could possibly be Metamorphmagi, I am doubting there will be any more. They are extremely rare.

(P.S.-- can a Mod please fix the title? The plural of "metamorphmagus" is "metamorphmagi", isn't it? Or is the title not supposed to be plural...?
I am a perfectionist, not a know-it-all and certainly not a smart-aleck. Please, please bear with me in my weaknesses. )

Old April 25th, 2007, 8:37 am
Second Year

Re: More Metamorphmagi

My apologies, since I started the thread and spelled it wrong... I was excited about the idea and obviously not thinking correctly. I enjoy correct grammar as well and I feel your pain and now that you pointed it out it's bugging the HECK out of me... I wonder if I can change it since I started the thread...

EDIT: That would be a negative... dangit!

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Last edited by BelleGreenfield; April 25th, 2007 at 8:41 am.
Old April 25th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Third Year

I don't really think any other characters will be a natural born metamorphmagus. We have already been told that they are rare, and no new characters are going to be introduced in the last book. I think if JK had someone, like let's say for example, Bellatrix, step out and be like "Booyah! fooled you! I'm a metamorphmagi!"

I don't know about you but I would be upset.

Old April 25th, 2007, 9:44 pm
First Year

If the metamorphmagus trait is inherited, then one of Tonks' relatives might have it (someone in the Black family tree)--perhaps Regulus, Bellatrix, Narcissa, or Draco? If it were Draco or Bellatrix, I think we would already have a strong indication of it. It would be a very useful trait for Regulus, if he were once on a horcrux hunt. Narcissa? Don't know.

Old April 26th, 2007, 7:28 pm
Second Year

I know it's usually inherited... but I thought somewhere in the books it said that it could be learned it was just extreeeeeeemly difficult.

Anyway, didn't we hear that there was going to be a traitor? What if the traitor is a metamorphmagus?

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:44 pm
First Year

In the books, I believe someone(Dumbledore?) says that there are spies(plural) feeding information back to Dumbledore and the Order. So if there is a spy in addition to Snape, that person could well be a metamorphmagus--it would be excellent cover.

Old April 26th, 2007, 11:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleGreenfield View Post
I know it's usually inherited... but I thought somewhere in the books it said that it could be learned it was just extreeeeeeemly difficult.
well, rowling describes metamorphmagi as having an "innate" ability to transform themselves physically. this would mean that they would be born, not made.

you may be thinking of an animagus. although difficult, it is possible to train and become an animagus. i don't have my books and can't tell you exactly the quote, but this may be what you were thinking of.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies