Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place?

Old April 30th, 2007, 8:52 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place???

The entire school knew Harry could do a Patronus. He sent one after Malfoy and co. in PoA during the Quidditch match when Malfoy was pretending to be a dementor.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:00 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
The entire school knew Harry could do a Patronus. He sent one after Malfoy and co. in PoA during the Quidditch match when Malfoy was pretending to be a dementor.
Not quite, that was a vague gasseous effort not far beyond what he'd done in the classroom with Lupin, a far cry from the stag he produced later.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:10 pm
First Year

Harry is "Dumbledore's man , through and through, " so of course Umbridge didn't like him.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:17 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Not quite, that was a vague gasseous effort not far beyond what he'd done in the classroom with Lupin, a far cry from the stag he produced later.
That doesn't appear to be supported by canon. I don't have my book with me right now, so I can't re-read the passage, but I have taken the following quotation from http://www.geocities.com/willowsevern/ :

Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 13"That was quite some Patronus," said a voice in Harry's ear.

Harry turned around to see Professor Lupin, who looked both shaken and pleased.

Although perhaps many students can't recognize a Patronus.

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Fourth Year

As I recall Umbridge was on the MOM's side in not believing DD or Harry about Voldemort's return. They all were apart of the smear campaign that year. Until Voldemort entered the MOM for the prophecy. Then they had no other choice. What I don't understand is Percy's attitude. I understand that he wants to do well and all, but he knew Harry better than that. Why was he so against him with no appology?

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
Because Umbridge was the Ministry's #1 goon?
lol that's pretty much how i feel

Old April 30th, 2007, 10:30 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
That doesn't appear to be supported by canon. I don't have my book with me right now, so I can't re-read the passage, but I have taken the following quotation from http://www.geocities.com/willowsevern/ :

Prisoner of Azkaban, Chapter 13"That was quite some Patronus," said a voice in Harry's ear.

Harry turned around to see Professor Lupin, who looked both shaken and pleased.

Although perhaps many students can't recognize a Patronus.
Could be, I always felt the description was pretty vague myself.

Prisoner of Azkaban Bloomsbury edition - P 194He didn't stop to think. Plunging a hand down the neck of his robes he whipped out his wand and roared, 'Expecto Patronum!'
Something silver white, something enormous, erupted from the end of his wand.

As you say though I doubt many if any of the student body would have recognised it for what it was. Certainly the staff would but I doubt any of them would have thought to forward such information to the ministry.

Old May 1st, 2007, 3:04 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema View Post
Excellent question, and a good thread.

Umbridge was sent to Hogwarts for a reason. The Ministry didn't like the fact that Dumbledore was educating the students about the reality of Voldemort's return- they wanted to keep the idea under wraps. Therefore, they had to both remove Dumbledore and silence Harry.

Her entire goal was, I believe, to intimidate Harry into silence so he would not cause disgareement with the Ministry approved take on events.
She acts like a press secretary for the Ministry, she sees her job as promoting the official version of events, regardless of the truth. She is not above illegal methods to control events and people so that her party's "truths" will be the only ones heard. They were afraid that their "political party" would lose power and they would lose their hold on the government.
By controlling Hogwarts, she could control the beliefs of at least a small portion of the population. Some people will do all most anything to preserve their power base.

Can you guess where I am?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 2:32 am
First Year

The ministry's TOADY

Old May 4th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

At first this seems like an easy question to answer,
She thought Harry was talking lies to stir up trouble
She thought Harry was arogant and attention seeking

However, I think we forget that she was the one to order the dementors after him. If she simply wanted to silence him she could have tried something else, but she literally tried to kill him and another consequnce of her action was putting a muggle in harms way. So she obviously didn't care about the risk she was taking when sending the dementors after Harry.
Her ethics is "as long as she recieves the desired end results, who cares about the means to get them"
we also see this in her attempt to us truth serium and an unforgivable curse. This lady is just plain evil!
We know we haven't seen the last of her yet and we just might find out in the next book why she was so determined to silence Harry. I haven't found anything in other books to explain this.

Old May 6th, 2007, 2:59 am
Third Year

Fudge was mad at Dumbledore(actually I call it jelosy) and Harry. I think that Umbridge had a crush on Fudge and was also mad at Dumbledore so she send those a Dementors. I think she hated Harry is because she hated Dumbledore

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old May 6th, 2007, 3:19 am
First Year

Umbridge is a bellatrix black with a MOM badge. She enjoyed using the cruatius curse on harry. As bellatrix tells us rightous indignation is not enough to make the curses have real power you have to embrace them, enjoy them.

Old May 6th, 2007, 3:26 am
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by dill View Post
Umbridge is a bellatrix black with a MOM badge. She enjoyed using the cruatius curse on harry. As bellatrix tells us rightous indignation is not enough to make the curses have real power you have to embrace them, enjoy them.
Well I suspect she would have tried to use it but it's questionable if she could have. Every action of hers in the Order of the Phoenix book suggests she's a mediocre witch at best and I would think that casting an unforgivable curse would take some serious power along with intent.

Old May 6th, 2007, 1:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Still, seriously though guys, Why did she send the Dementors? I mean I understand the MOM probably wanted to silence him, but Dementors are very Extreme!!
Maybe that is just how she thinks about punishment...in extremes. We see this definately throughout the book.
But, yet I still get shivers when I think of her ordering the Dementors after Harry in the first place...What ever she had against Harry is big!
I wonder if it is something to do with is parents or the past Order....

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:13 pm
First Year

Maybe she was secretly (or openly) in love with Fudge, or obsessed with him or something (ick!) and she really, really wants to do things that will make him happy. I know the first part sounds outlandish, but in OOtP she really does seem to be quite fond of Cornelius.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:15 pm
First Year

i think she just wanted the mom to have the 'best' reputation, and to keep it, and so got rid of anything/body she believed to be tarnishing the reputation.

ahhhh...tennant

lupin
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Second Year

I think it was just that Fudge was convinced that Harry was lying and Umbridge thinks that Fudge is God so she hates Harry already..

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
As I recall Umbridge was on the MOM's side in not believing DD or Harry about Voldemort's return. They all were apart of the smear campaign that year. Until Voldemort entered the MOM for the prophecy. Then they had no other choice. What I don't understand is Percy's attitude. I understand that he wants to do well and all, but he knew Harry better than that. Why was he so against him with no appology?
I think Percy was blinded by the Ministry. He loved working for Fudge and wanted to do everything right. Even though he knew Harry well, he was blinded by his love for Fudge and authority. I think Percy was power-hungry and maybe thought that if he sided with Fudge, he coukld become Minister himself. That's my view on how things are with him.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:12 am
Seventh Year

Re: What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place?

He was very close to Dumbledore and Dumbledore never got along with the Ministry. I guess she disliked that and then even more so when he started saying that Voldemort was back (which she and the Ministry refused to believe).

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:43 pm
First Year

Re: What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place?

I agree that she disliked Harry because he was close to Dumbledore, but I think it was also just because Harry was 'different'.
She seems like the type who believes that children are children, and should be seen and not heard. I think she felt threatened by Harry, seeing him as a troublemaker and someone who questions authority. She was possibly jealous of his fame at such a young age too.

Dumbledore's Man Through and Through

Once a Vodemort-lovin', half-blood hatin' Death Eater, always a Voldemort-lovin',
half-blood hatin' Death Eater

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives