Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place?

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Second Year

Re: What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place?

I think the original reason why Umbridge had a beef against Harry had to do with her wanting power and she saw Harry as a threat because he associated himself with Dumbledore. Rather than get rid of Dumbledore right away, she sought to discredit Harry and to wreck havoc on his summer by sending out the dementors.

That woman is so evil!

Old July 29th, 2007, 3:58 am
Second Year

She was in such an alliance with the Ministry that she couldn't face what was in front of her face--Voldemort's retrurn-so, she couldn't stand those who agreed that he did come back. It wasn't just Harry, she looked for reasons to punish or get rid of those in alliance with Harry/Dumbledore.

Old July 29th, 2007, 4:13 am
Third Year

I think like a lot of other people, especially the ones who wanted to discredit Dumbledore, Umbridge wanted to silence Harry just to prove he's human and not "The Chosen One." Umbridge didn't have to know Harry to discredit him. He was trying to tell everyone that LV was back, when the Ministry was saying LV was a done deal from over a decade ago. I was just talking to my mother about this the other day. Imagine, if you will, that we didn't know that Hitler shot himself instead of being defeated by his last victim, and we didn't have a body to prove he was gone, and then some kid claims "Hitler" did some murders in Israel in 1958 and he was there-----if you lived in Israel, would you want to believe he was back?!?!

Being stuck in the heat of the moment is very scary. I don't blame the Ministry for wanting to discredit LV had risen, I blame them for fully believing that Harry was not telling the truth. If LV did in fact not rise again, prove it, since it is believed Harry is lying, show me proof that he was, and the Ministry and all of Harry's discreditor's couldn't. Death is not to be played with. People act stupider than usual when panic is involved. JK couldn't release DH on 7/7/07 because of the London bombings, like the London bomber's were going to do anything to ruin the Harry Potter release, ya, that was their agenda. I would think happiness is something you should try to focus on in a crisis, not relive the past. I have my own experience in knowing that in the face of conflict, people will assume the position of pretending something has not gone terribly wrong and happened than acknowledge that it did. Umbridge was doing what she felt was the right thing in OOTP by sending the dementor's to attack Harry (who I wonder why they could if Harry was being protected so well.....oh ya, I forgot who apperated away....).

Last edited by Saiorri; July 29th, 2007 at 4:15 am.
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:21 am
Third Year

In my poinion, Umbridge was just a nasty woman... on the edge of being a full blown sadist. I think that she got pleasure form hurting, and that Harrys views on Voldemort, as well as infuriating her, were just a good excuse to inflict some pain on somebody!

Old July 30th, 2007, 2:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1984 View Post
In my poinion, Umbridge was just a nasty woman... on the edge of being a full blown sadist. I think that she got pleasure form hurting, and that Harrys views on Voldemort, as well as infuriating her, were just a good excuse to inflict some pain on somebody!
She was a sadist. You can't let children cut themselves to write in their own blood and not be a sadist.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:08 am
First Year

Harry was saying what the Ministry didn't want people to believe. So her evil mixed with her extreme love of the ministry.

Old August 1st, 2007, 10:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCurio View Post
She was in such an alliance with the Ministry that she couldn't face what was in front of her face--Voldemort's retrurn-so, she couldn't stand those who agreed that he did come back. It wasn't just Harry, she looked for reasons to punish or get rid of those in alliance with Harry/Dumbledore.
I agree. She couldn't say anything else, she was in the ministry. I would imagine if she had beleived Dumbledore and Harry at first, she would have talked herself out of it (very well, obviously).

Old August 2nd, 2007, 6:00 pm
First Year

I believe that Umbridge was a zealotical follower of Fudges. It was mentioned numerous times that she would perform numerous actions that Fudge didn't know about it. As for her motivation, i believe she was just so fanatically loyal to the Ministry and to Fudge, as well as ministry teachings, that whatever she saw as being contrary to what the ministry thought, it was to be eradicated.

Why did she hate Harry in particular is kinda easy to explain. Harry was the wizarding world's hero. He had done all sorts of things that everyone looked up to. IE, why Fudge and Scrim both wanted him supporting the ministry. Umbridge probably knew this as well, but since Fudge did not want to believe that Voldemort was back, she followed her loyalties to the minister. When you go at odds with the hero of the world, there aren't that many things you can do. People look to the government, people look to their heroes.

So about the only thing you can do is to discredit the hero. If enough people in high positions do it, then peer pressure kicks in, and people start to believe the ministry. People would much rather believe the people who control the government, than some kid, who somehow defeated Voldemort, though no one knows how.

Back on topic, and to the point, Umbridge hated Harry, because he presented a threat to the integrity of the ministry and spoke out contrary to what Fudge, and thusly Umbridge believe.. He was vocal in his views, and people could rally around someone like that (which inevitably happened). Thus the belief that Dumbledore was making an army, and so on.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:51 pm
Third Year

She was making herself look good to Fudge. Fudge didn't like that Harry was saying that LV was back. She wanted to kiss up to Fudge.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:08 pm
First Year

i think its obvious that she didnt like the idea of harry and dumbledore claiming that voldy was back

KU ALL THE WAY

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Add this to your signature to join!
Old August 15th, 2007, 1:00 am
Second Year

I really don't understand Umbrige. She doesn't seem to be the type who would be particularly loyal, but she goes along with Fudge's wishes. I guess I just don't understand people who can lie to themselves and others with such conviction...

52% Obsessed with Harry Potter.
(take the quiz )

WOMBAT: Level 1=E, Level 2=E, Level 3=E.
PROUD GRYFFINDOR!

Old August 15th, 2007, 1:19 am
First Year

Well , she was from the ministry and we all know the ministry dislikes the famous Harry Potter , and Umbridge adored Cornelius Fudge who , at the time , was Minister of Magic and he strongly disliked Harry

Also , right from the beginning Harry stood up to her -- when she first mentioned she'd be teaching with the books and no wands would be used , that they weren't going to be physically practicing spells , he didn't like it and spoke up about it . Umbridge said something to the effect of " who do you expect to have to use these spells against outside of school , Lord Voldemort?" and Harry answered with something like " that's exactly who i plan on defending myself against " and saying something about Voldemort being back and seeing as the ministry wouldn't admit it , Umbridge did not like Harry speaking those "lies" in front of the other students.

Old August 16th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Second Year

Re: What did Umbridge have against Harry in the first place???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
However, I think we forget that she was the one to order the dementors after him. If she simply wanted to silence him she could have tried something else, but she literally tried to kill him and another consequnce of her action was putting a muggle in harms way. So she obviously didn't care about the risk she was taking when sending the dementors after Harry.
Her ethics is "as long as she recieves the desired end results, who cares about the means to get them"
we also see this in her attempt to us truth serium and an unforgivable curse. This lady is just plain evil!
My thinking as well. Fudge just would not accept the fact that Voldemort was coming back to power, the thought was probably too scary for him to bear. Because of this, he tried to silence all of the people proclaiming Voldemort's return...mainly Harry and Dumbledore.

So when he sent Umbridge to Hogwarts in order to silence Harry, Umbridges nastiness was a bad match for the job she had. She took it really way too far, especially seeing as Harry was only looking out for the good of the rest of wizard and muggle-kind alike.

Animegus: Wolf
You're the strong and silent type. Wandering the Forbidden
Forest at night in your animegus form while you ponder the mysteries of life.

Hufflepuff
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~Albus Dumbledore
Old August 18th, 2007, 5:27 am
Fourth Year

I believe that her reason, as a lot of posts mentioned, was to stop Harry from disseminating (along woth DD) the fact that Voldemort was back. Fudge was so afraid of the fact that the commom knowledge that the Dark Lord was back could show that he was an inefective minister, that she took the issue to her hands. Being an evil persom, she didn't mesure her efforts, her first moove was to stop Harry using dementors.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives