Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Any writers trying to get published? v.5

Old December 3rd, 2009, 8:09 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Any writers trying to get published? v.5

I love writing, I've written several fan-fics here, and I love reading and after high school for a while I wanted to be a writer and actually took an online writing course, but I've figured out that I have a hard time finishing the story. So I've moved on, but I keep coming back to writing, I've finished a few stories, but I go back over them time to time to edit them and make the better, but other than my mom, I haven't let anyone read them. Recently however I wrote a short story, well short compared the the other things I've written with my best friend as the main character for her birthday present, she gets a happily ever after in the book, which is sweet. another friend of ours has hijacked (in a good way) the story and has gone through it with her mom who's an English major to edit it for me. ( my spelling and grammer is horrible.) and as soon as i get that back I can go back over it and give it to her. Knowing my friend however if she likes it, when she finally gets to read it. she'll push me to see about getting it published. The thing about that story was that for once I had no problem staying on the ball, and finishing it, in a matter of weeks, and I felt it was my best work to date. So I keep telling her, maybe in a few years they're be a sequel. My friend makes for a great main character, and it's funny, and was fun to write.

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2009, 5:52 am
First Year

Whenever I try to right a novel of my own, for one, I never finish it. I always end up starting a new one because of a new idea. Two, they always come out sounding like rubbish. I can never write a decent sounding novel. It always sounds soo... cliche.

Old October 8th, 2010, 3:38 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
And for those willing to set their stories lose upon the world, 25 tips from a slush-reader at the estimable journal Andromeda Spaceways inflight Magazine.

I like #22.

Warning: As few punches are pulled, some bits may offend due to language.
Nice list, I especially like #13. In a book I read recently by Stephen King (On Writing), he mentioned an editor's note that was sent to him way before he became famous: 2nd Draft=1st Draft-10%. It's just so true. Tons of times when I've written something, and I go back to edit and shorten it, I realize how much useless detail or excess writing I've put in there, and it really helps to cut it down.

I'm currently working on a novel right now, and I hope to finish it in the next several months (but seeing as I'm currently in college . . . we'll see). Looking back on my old writings, I know that I've improved a lot. For instance, I have a few fanfics on here that I wrote 3 or 4 years ago. I think it's a huge sign of improvement that I can look back on those and realize how terrible they truly were.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:58 am
Second Year

Does anyone have advice on agents? I've been trying to find one for my teen fiction novel for a few months now. It's a slow process and it's hard to fully research and do school at the same time.

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:21 pm
Sixth Year

What do people think of publishing through Amazon's Kindle online? It sounds like a really interesting thing, and a very simple and convenient way to get your work out there.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old October 23rd, 2010, 7:33 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don't know. How much marketing will you get? It's just an e-book and just sold on amazon.com. There's a lot to consider.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 25th, 2010, 2:38 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I don't know. How much marketing will you get? It's just an e-book and just sold on amazon.com. There's a lot to consider.
I suppose it depends on the licenses you allow. There this thing about deciding to allow people to share the stories with their friends (I guess electronically somehow) which would certainly give you greater marketing advantages, but you don't get paid for stories that are shared with others, they'd have to buy it themselves. The e-book thing is relatively new, but it seems to be popular so far.

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old October 26th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

That's true. I guess you could look at it that way. If you choose to go that route, good luck!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 1st, 2010, 7:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
What do people think of publishing through Amazon's Kindle online? It sounds like a really interesting thing, and a very simple and convenient way to get your work out there.
I've published four books on Kindle and I'm working on a fifth. Yes, it's easy to do, but it's also not easy going indie.

I spend two hours a day doing marketing. Marketing can be as easy as joining readers' forums and posting as a reader with links to your books in your siggy. Or it can be as difficult as begging review sites for reviews. There's twitter and facebook as well, especially if you already have a presence there.

I always suggest putting together a paper edition because it gives you more credibility as an author. You can do it for less than $100 using PoD.

I've seen some indies snag book deals with publishers or with Amazon Encore. Karen McQuestion, e.g., was picked up by Amazon Encore after selling 36K books in 11 months. Boyd Morrison was picked up by Simon & Schuster. There are a lot more, but these are two of the bigger success stories.

I wouldn't go any other way. If you're serious about it, pm me and I'll walk you through the process.

ETA: There's also publishing through Smashwords to get greater exposure, but Kindle should be your first outlet.

Last edited by Desraelda; November 1st, 2010 at 8:04 pm.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:08 pm
Third Year

I entered a competition to win a book deal with a £1000 advance. I'm in the final 2 now and it's pretty exciting. Trying to finish off my final entry today - half way through but it's taking ages!

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old July 6th, 2011, 4:24 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
I entered a competition to win a book deal with a £1000 advance. I'm in the final 2 now and it's pretty exciting. Trying to finish off my final entry today - half way through but it's taking ages!
Wow, that's quite an accomplishment. Is it with a major publisher? Keep us posted.

Old July 7th, 2011, 1:33 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
That's really exciting! Best of luck to you.

And thank you, Wab, for the awesome link. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and taking the tips to heart. I think my favorite was #11.

Corollary 3.1 has also become very special to me. As I love writing fiction, and I am an Accountant, this is finally confirmation that my stories will eventually be read! (How awesome is that?)

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old August 19th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Second Year

I have a question:
How do you like to read books on how to write?

Do you read until you hit some prevalent advice then immediately go try to apply it to your work, or do you just read the book through?

I'd like to know everyone's opinions and preferences.
Me, I don't get very far in writing-advice books because every paragraph I'm trying to think how to use that information to correct my current works :P

Ta ta for now,
~Ignolopi

Do want to learn Japanese too? Come join me at my Nihonashi Blog.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:41 pm
First Year

Keep in mind everyone that there is a difference between going an indie oute and self publishing. You should never pay your own money to self publish a book. There are tons and tons of these new small indie minded publishing companies popping up and honestly if you can't get one of them to bite, you probabaly shouldn't waste you own money.

I'm sory if that sounds harsh. But hey, I'm a Slytherin.

That said, I'm not saying any one on here who has self published is a bad write, they just may not know better. I've lucked into having a few writes in various fields take me under their wings and the first thing they say no matter what the field is NEVER SPEND YOUR OWN MONEY. As for publishing on Kindle, it is free, so that's cool, but I'd still push to find a publisher first.

On a real fast side note, I JUST GOT MY AUTHOR COPY OF THE HORROR COLLECTION MY SHORT STORY WAS PUBLISHED IN! It's sooooo cool to see my name in a book I can hold in my hands.

Old August 21st, 2011, 1:07 am
Registered Animagus

Absolutely. Money flows toward the author.

It isn't strictly necessary to pursue a publishing contract at this point. The industry is evolving rapidly and publishers and agents are pursuing successful ebook authors.

If you decide to go the indie route, practice your cover design skills, blurb writing skills, and join a critique group. Check at your library to see if there's an authors group you can join to get feedback.

I had a small publisher for my first book, but in order for the publisher to make money, she had to price it too high to sell. She did no advertising for me and I had to do all promotion myself. Sales were non-existent. Nothing against her. She's a very nice lady and we're still friends.

If I'm going to do all that myself, and believe me, most publishers won't do much if anything for a new author, I would rather take all the profits for myself, too.

Each author needs to look at the pros and cons between indie and trad. Follow the blogs, keep up with the trends, and when you're ready, you'll be better equipped to make a decision.

Old October 10th, 2011, 4:47 am
First Year

The publisher who published my short story Gracie asked to put it in their Best Of anthology. Obviously I said yes!

Old August 9th, 2012, 5:02 pm
Sixth Year

Does anyone have any advice on how to get a children's book published? I wrote a poem last Christmas that I think could make a decent children's book for the holidays, but I have no idea where to start to get my foot in the door for publishing. Has anyone here published a children's book before? I don't want to just start blinding sending off the manuscript because I've heard that most publishing companies don't accept unsolicited manuscripts.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
This website is absolutely indispensible if you're serious about becoming an author - I was directed here by a friend who I met at a writer's workshop (a friend who's published, by the way, although pretty unknown right now): http://www.duotrope.com

Go there, tell it what genre/length/payment you're looking for, and it will give you all kinds of options as to where to send your work. AND it will tell you how reliable they are, how many requests they get, what percentage of manuscripts they accept out of those they're sent, and whatever else you could possibly want to know. Check it out - it's awesome.
That's a really neat website, but I wasn't how to fit my story in the categories since it is a Christmas/Christian children's poem.

Last edited by GrangerHermione; August 9th, 2012 at 5:05 pm.
Old August 11th, 2012, 3:41 pm
I trusted Severus Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFloo162 View Post
Keep in mind everyone that there is a difference between going an indie oute and self publishing. You should never pay your own money to self publish a book. There are tons and tons of these new small indie minded publishing companies popping up and honestly if you can't get one of them to bite, you probabaly shouldn't waste you own money.

I'm sory if that sounds harsh. But hey, I'm a Slytherin.

That said, I'm not saying any one on here who has self published is a bad write, they just may not know better. I've lucked into having a few writes in various fields take me under their wings and the first thing they say no matter what the field is NEVER SPEND YOUR OWN MONEY. As for publishing on Kindle, it is free, so that's cool, but I'd still push to find a publisher first.
Just saying, there are now several Print On Demand outfits that will let you self-publish with minimal cost. You need to research them, though, because several of those outfits are non-reputable.

Not having the courage and patience to slog through the traditional route, I just went ahead and self-published my own book with Createspace, Amazon's self-publishing service.

Costs to me were:
1. $10 for the ISBN number
2. $25 (I think) for the extended marketing plan, that makes my book available, not only on Amazon, but on Barnes and Noble and other sources. (I don't think the additional listings have gone through yet, though.)
3. About $8 for each proof copy I ordered while still finding typos and trying the get the cover right.
4. I have to pay for every physical copy I want. Though I get a big discount, so I can resell at a profit.

Re 'never spend your own money' I will have no trouble recouping my minimal expenses and making a profit. But probably not a big one.

About my only real gripe is that Createspace could not get the spine on the way I wanted it. (Their automated program kept wanting to resize the spine to be smaller than the actual book width) I settled for less than perfection on that in the end, and have learned from it. The cover design for my next book will have a spine that doesn't need precision positioning.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the first crate of books to come. I work in a library, where local authors' books are often offered for sale, so I have a local sales venue all set up. And my job gives me some useful connections among library buyers and book review groups.

The downside to self-publishing is that every sale pretty much has to be made by me. I have to buy my copies to sell, I have to go to local stores and ask them to sell my book, I have to publicize it whichever way I can (cough) and there's not the same prestige attached to publishing yourself as being published. And, admittedly, my book would probably be even better if it had had the advice of a professional editor.

On the upside, I am in total control. For one thing, I was able to create my own cover art and illustrations, which they would not have allowed me to do if I was professionally published.

I have friends who were professionally published, and the stories I've heard from them have convinced me that it is not exactly a bed of roses. One friend had an editor demand countless, niggling rewrites until she simply sent in the original version of the manuscript again, which the editor then said was 'finally' perfect. One friend published with an indie publisher, and when her book won some awards and outsold the publisher's own books, some nasty ego-related problems developed. I have friends who waited for over a year to get their royalties, and had to finally threaten legal action, and publishers who kept them making manuscript rewrites for months or years before suddenly deciding they didn't want to publish the book after all. As Desraelda said above, most publishers will not bother publicizing a new author's book, either.

So, anyway, I am newly self-published. If you're interested in checking it out, I have some sample chapters on my website.

Old August 11th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwolf View Post
I have friends who were professionally published, and the stories I've heard from them have convinced me that it is not exactly a bed of roses. One friend had an editor demand countless, niggling rewrites until she simply sent in the original version of the manuscript again, which the editor then said was 'finally' perfect. One friend published with an indie publisher, and when her book won some awards and outsold the publisher's own books, some nasty ego-related problems developed. I have friends who waited for over a year to get their royalties, and had to finally threaten legal action, and publishers who kept them making manuscript rewrites for months or years before suddenly deciding they didn't want to publish the book after all.
All of which are reasons you need a good agent.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm
I trusted Severus Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
All of which are reasons you need a good agent.
Getting an agent is just as hard as getting a publisher. Maybe harder.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner