Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 3:52 am
Fourth Year

Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

If Voldemort has been so keen throughout the years, to rid himself of Albus Dumbledore, why has Voldemort never gone after his family members to provoke albus to attack? Like Aberforth? Aberforth doesn't seem like the type who has an extensive knowledge in spells, like his brother (although appearences can be decieving). We are told by Dumbbledore, himself, that he doesn't even think his brother can read. He sounds like a pretty easy target... almost.

Could Voldemort not know about Aberforth exsistence? I'd say yes he would know right off the bat, since Snape overheard the prophocey why not tell Voldy about Dumbledore's brother being the one to catch him. Except for the fact that Albus could have made Snape promise not to reveal such information. Or Snape may not have put one and one together to connect the two together...

Moody had stated tha Aberforth was a strange bloke, and I believe, that he was only present for a few order meetings (the old crowd). It seems like Aberforth keeps a very low profile... I have always wonder if Aberforth was perhaps Albus himself transfigured or something... but I digress.

What are your thoughts? Do you believe Voldy knows about Aberforth? Why do you think Voldy hasn't tried to have Aberforth killed? Maybe not personally killed by his own hand, since we know Voldy only kills significant people, but by his death eaters.

Ideas?

I REALLY Had Always Trusted Severus Snape!!
"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" ~ Albus Dumbledore

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218

Last edited by Hunter; June 11th, 2007 at 3:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:36 am
Second Year

Re: Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

i don't think aberforth has done anything anywhere near to some of the things his brother has. Voldemort may not see him as a threat or maybe he doesn't want to challenge the brother of albus dumbledore.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:38 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Right, I don't think Voldemort considers Aberforth to have such an importance like Dumbeldore or to be a major threat as elfears91 has mentioned.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:42 am
Fifth Year

Agreeing with the unimportance factor here. Although it is odd that Voldemort obviously knows where to find Aberforth and hasn't tried to kill him, especially considering Aberforth is part of the Order, but then again, it'd be pretty easy to kill Hagrid, who also is in the Order....

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:50 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
Agreeing with the unimportance factor here. Although it is odd that Voldemort obviously knows where to find Aberforth and hasn't tried to kill him, especially considering Aberforth is part of the Order, but then again, it'd be pretty easy to kill Hagrid, who also is in the Order....
True, but Hagrid is protected at Hogwarts alot of the time.... Aberforth seems to be 'always' be around the Hogshead or in it. I just found something a little odd about that, as far as no enemy ever going after Dumbledore's 'family'. ALthough (again I digress) I have wondered if Grindelwald may ave kiled Dumbledore's family... "There are worst things then death". Why not losing ones family members... and having to live with that knowledge that they are not alive but you are or caused it for being who you are.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:56 am
Fifth Year

Actually, yes, Hagrid seems to live at Hogwarts like Dumbledore, so he might not be as easy to kill as I think. But you can Apparate right into Hogsmeade....

Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:00 am
Zonko's Employee

I really wonder if Voldemort even knows Aberforth is Albus's brother. I'm sure his name isn't avoided by those who should know for no reason.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:03 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema View Post
I really wonder if Voldemort even knows Aberforth is Albus's brother. I'm sure his name isn't avoided by those who should know for no reason.
Hey, if the HP fanbase can figure out Aberforth is the Hog's Head barman based on the fact that he smelled like goats and looked like Dumbledore, so can Voldemort, I'd say

Also, you have to remember that Aberforth's magical ability is one of the more interesting debates when speculating about DH. He might not be as easy to kill as we think; after all he is Dumbledore's brother.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
Hey, if the HP fanbase can figure out Aberforth is the Hog's Head barman based on the fact that he smelled like goats and looked like Dumbledore, so can Voldemort, I'd say

Also, you have to remember that Aberforth's magical ability is one of the more interesting debates when speculating about DH. He might not be as easy to kill as we think; after all he is Dumbledore's brother.
Plus Aberforth was in the paper for his improper use of charms on goats ! So Voldy must have read that issue!

Yeha i have debate just exactly how 'powerful' Aberforth might be... it's hard to determine with what we know about him.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:25 am
Second Year

I abslolutely shudder to think what Aberforth did to the poor goats to make the paper And sice his own brother is even doubting his ability to read....still people can learn to compensate for not having certain abilities. I mean really if he was as bad off as we think, why would he be inducted into the Order? Goat control??
I agree with most students upto this point, I just think Voldemort has underestimated Aberforth, and merely sees him as a non-entity.
But hmmmm....since when has being a non-entity kept Voldermort from killing to get a reaction???

Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:32 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyseyes View Post
I abslolutely shudder to think what Aberforth did to the poor goats to make the paper And sice his own brother is even doubting his ability to read....still people can learn to compensate for not having certain abilities. I mean really if he was as bad off as we think, why would he be inducted into the Order? Goat control??
I agree with most students upto this point, I just think Voldemort has underestimated Aberforth, and merely sees him as a non-entity.
But hmmmm....since when has being a non-entity kept Voldermort from killing to get a reaction???
Exactly! It almost makes it seem that Voldy doens't have knowledge about him.... One would think that it is possible the Voldy might suspect that Albus would have Aberforth helping him somehow. Perhaps there are protection surronding Aberforth that Albus put in place, like blood protection between brothers? Much like the blood protection Harry has at the Dursley's.

There is an 'interesting' occurance that happens in HBP that could be related to this... I don't have the exact quote but it is right as Harry and Dumbledore are leavig to go off to the cave. And they pass the Hog's Head. For the split second the sign for the Hog's Head moves, and I believe there wasn't any wind present. Does anyone have that quote? And know what I'm talking about?

Last edited by Hunter; June 3rd, 2007 at 5:35 am.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:55 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Exactly! It almost makes it seem that Voldy doens't have knowledge about him.... One would think that it is possible the Voldy might suspect that Albus would have Aberforth helping him somehow. Perhaps there are protection surronding Aberforth that Albus put in place, like blood protection between brothers? Much like the blood protection Harry has at the Dursley's.

There is an 'interesting' occurance that happens in HBP that could be related to this... I don't have the exact quote but it is right as Harry and Dumbledore are leavig to go off to the cave. And they pass the Hog's Head. For the split second the sign for the Hog's Head moves, and I believe there wasn't any wind present. Does anyone have that quote? And know what I'm talking about?
Here it is:

Quote:
HBP, page 554
A minute later they turned the corner into the side street where the Hog's Head's sign creaked a little, though there was no breeze.
Not sure what significance it has though, any suggestions?

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

www.iqtest.com - My IQ: 142
Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:59 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroman View Post
Here it is:

Not sure what significance it has though, any suggestions?
Thank you for finding the quote! And there is a significance to it... the question is.... what!?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 6:03 am
First Year

The sentence right after the quote I posted says that the pub appeared to be completely empty. probly not unusual, but it adds another peice to the discussion.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

www.iqtest.com - My IQ: 142
Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:04 am
Second Year

I had never thought about this before. Now I wonder why it didn't occur to me sooner. Anyway, Aberforth seems to be the type who prefers to work behind the scenes, and let the other members of the Order do the really important stuff (not to say that his position at the Hog's Head isn't valuable, but you know what I mean!). It may just be that Aberforth is farther down on Voldemort's priority list. If you were going to pick which brother poses a more obvious threat, you'd def. go with Dumbledore.

What it really comes down to is that we don't know all that much about Aberforth yet, so it should be really interesting when we finally "meet" him in DH.

- Kristen

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:53 am
Banned

Perhaps the goat smell has something to do with bezoars or his patronus is a goat (remember the order members communicate using their patronuses) or he is an animagus - a goat.

I think Voldemort's arrogance has made him overlook Aberforth who I think is a spy for Albus - remember Albus said he was very friendly with the barman at the Hogshead when advising Tom Riddle he knew there were deatheaters waiting for him in the pub. A barman overhears lots of things especially from loose-lipped drunks.

I also think Albus was having a little joke when he said he didn't know if his brother could read or not (maybe to protect his undercover brother spy)and I suspect Aberforth is a powerful wizard in his own right.

I'm actually hoping he'll turn out to be a slightly grumpy old man who is every bit as eccentric as his brother Albus who along with the Weasley twins will provide much needed comic relief in this seemingly dark last book in the series.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 1:52 pm
Fourth Year

Here's something I never thought of. In OOTP Sirius tells the trio that Mundungus was banned from the Hogshead years ago (and that barman has a very long memory). However in HBP, Aberforth is conducting a business deal with Mundungus on the street in Hogsmeade. I wonder if he knew that Mundungus was selling Black family heirlooms and was trying to obtain certain items of a more sensitive nature. Does Aberforth know about the locket somehow? Now I feel certain he has the locket and Harry will have to deal with him in order to destroy it.

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 2:00 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, if i remember correctly, Aberforth did draw his coat up to hide his neck right when Harry looked at him in this scene.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 2:06 pm
ASA Signature Champion

I believe Voldemort is not aware that Aberforth is the Hog's Head barman. Here's why:

HBP, Dumbledore and Voldemort discussing the Death Eaters"Then if I were to go to the Hog's Head tonight, I would not find a group of them --- Nott, Rosier, Mulciber, Dolohov --- awaiting your return?..."
"Your are omniscent as ever, Dumbledore."
"Oh no, merely friendly with the local barmen," said Dumbledore lightly.

Voldemort was surprised that Dumbledore knew where the Death Eaters were, and he would never have positioned them at the Hog's Head if he thought Dumbledore's brother owned the pub.

I'm certain that Voldemort knows Dumbledore has a brother, but I'm also sure Voldemort does not know where Aberforth is. Aberforth does keep a very low profile. Moody told Harry he only met Aberforth once, on the day the photo of the original Order was taken. I think the reason for this secrecy is to keep Aberforth from Voldemort's knowledge.

Currently... enjoying my wood-burning stove

Riddle Thread * Ask the Brits * Chocolate!
Old June 3rd, 2007, 3:30 pm
Fourth Year

I'm surprised Harry hasn't recognized Aberforth for who he is. He saw him in Moody's photo. The book's narrator said the man looked familiar to Harry.

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives