Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 3:54 pm
ASA Signature Champion

Re: Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo View Post
I'm surprised Harry hasn't recognized Aberforth for who he is. He saw him in Moody's photo. The book's narrator said the man looked familiar to Harry.
That's true, but it was only briefly that Harry saw Aberforth in the photo and then Moody revealed Harry's parents and Wormtail and Harry didn't give Aberforth a second thought. There was also the awful scene minutes after that with Molly and the boggart, which bothered Harry a fair bit.

I think if Harry ever sees that photo again, he'll put two and two together this time. That would be an obvious plot link for Deathly Hallows to get the trio to go after Aberforth - something I'm sure they must do.

Currently... enjoying my wood-burning stove

Riddle Thread * Ask the Brits * Chocolate!
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:03 pm
Second Year

I agree that Dumbledore possibly played down Aberforth's abilities as a protection measure. Aberforth is in the position to gather information for Dumbledore and the Order. He wouldn't want his best spy to be in danger. I also think he may have the locket and will be able to help Harry destroy that horcrux. Aberforth does appear to be a behind the scenes kind of man and is very useful being so.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm
First Year

The trouble is that if you are truly afraid of someone, then you wouldn't wish to provoke them. Hurting Dumbledore's brother would probably be provoking him, which is the last thing that Voldy wanted to do.
I also agree with the fact that maybe Voldemrot simply can not find him. He already has a lot on his plate, I am pretty sure that he thinks he has better things to do than roaming the countryside looking for an illiterate wizard that most likely doesn't have information, power or anything.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:33 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholeigh View Post
I believe Voldemort is not aware that Aberforth is the Hog's Head barman. Here's why:

HBP, Dumbledore and Voldemort discussing the Death Eaters"Then if I were to go to the Hog's Head tonight, I would not find a group of them --- Nott, Rosier, Mulciber, Dolohov --- awaiting your return?..."
"Your are omniscent as ever, Dumbledore."
"Oh no, merely friendly with the local barmen," said Dumbledore lightly.

Voldemort was surprised that Dumbledore knew where the Death Eaters were, and he would never have positioned them at the Hog's Head if he thought Dumbledore's brother owned the pub.

I'm certain that Voldemort knows Dumbledore has a brother, but I'm also sure Voldemort does not know where Aberforth is. Aberforth does keep a very low profile. Moody told Harry he only met Aberforth once, on the day the photo of the original Order was taken. I think the reason for this secrecy is to keep Aberforth from Voldemort's knowledge.

I wonder why when Voldy returned to the Hog's HEad that night, after beig refused the DADA job, he didn't kill the barman? I mean here Dumbledore just told Voldy that he was friendly with him. WOuldn't Voldy see Aberforth as a threat then, because he was just told he was telling Dumbledore information about who arrived at his pub?

I REALLY Had Always Trusted Severus Snape!!
"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" ~ Albus Dumbledore

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:35 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

So far, every murder that Voldemort has perpetrated has had purpose. They have either been to obtain a horcrux anchor such as the ring or cup, to create a horcrux (perhaps Frank Bryce), to maintain his secrets such as the Potters, or to demonstrate his mastery of control as in the case of trying to kill Harry in the graveyard. Never have we seen Voldemort kill out of hand, or without purpose behind it. He is not a psychopathic impulse killer.

Up to this point, we have only seen Aberforth as perhaps Albus's exact opposite. He is a barman, not a scholar. He has had run ins with the law, such as his inappropriate charms on a goat. Aside from being Albus's brother, he really has posed no threat to Voldemort, or been in possession of anything of value to Voldemort. There would be no purpose in killing him, except to bring down the anger of the one wizard he has always feared. That would be counterproductive to dark and sinister purposes.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:45 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
So far, every murder that Voldemort has perpetrated has had purpose. They have either been to obtain a horcrux anchor such as the ring or cup, to create a horcrux (perhaps Frank Bryce), to maintain his secrets such as the Potters, or to demonstrate his mastery of control as in the case of trying to kill Harry in the graveyard. Never have we seen Voldemort kill out of hand, or without purpose behind it. He is not a psychopathic impulse killer.

Up to this point, we have only seen Aberforth as perhaps Albus's exact opposite. He is a barman, not a scholar. He has had run ins with the law, such as his inappropriate charms on a goat. Aside from being Albus's brother, he really has posed no threat to Voldemort, or been in possession of anything of value to Voldemort. There would be no purpose in killing him, except to bring down the anger of the one wizard he has always feared. That would be counterproductive to dark and sinister purposes.
I see what your saying, and I agree that Voldy isn't one to just kill at random. But I still have to bring up that numorous death eaters were waiting in the Hog's Head that night, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind killing Aberforth for Voldy.

I REALLY Had Always Trusted Severus Snape!!
"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" ~ Albus Dumbledore

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218
Old June 3rd, 2007, 4:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I see what your saying, and I agree that Voldy isn't one to just kill at random. But I still have to bring up that numorous death eaters were waiting in the Hog's Head that night, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind killing Aberforth for Voldy.
My personal assumption is that Voldemort was either too preoccupied with anger toward Dumbledore for refusing the job to him, that he had completely forgotten about the "local barman," Or more likely, Voldemort never intended to ever return, or have his Death Eaters return to the Hog's Head, therefore killing Aberforth was unneccesary at the time.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

www.iqtest.com - My IQ: 142
Old June 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm
Squee-worthy

I don't think Voldemort would want to provoke Dumbledore for one thing. Voldemort feared Dumbledore, and by attacking Dumbledore's family he would then have to face Dumbledore's full wrath. Although Voldemort was trying to kill Dumbledore for years, he needed to do so in a way where he too would survive, by attacking Aberforth, Dumbledore would not go easy on Voldemort. Second of all, if Voldemort knows that Aberforth is Dumbledore's brother, he probably doesn't care all that much, but I am going with the fact that Voldemort never knew.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 6:45 pm
ASA Signature Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I wonder why when Voldy returned to the Hog's HEad that night, after beig refused the DADA job, he didn't kill the barman? I mean here Dumbledore just told Voldy that he was friendly with him. WOuldn't Voldy see Aberforth as a threat then, because he was just told he was telling Dumbledore information about who arrived at his pub?
At a guess, I'd say Voldemort didn't go back to the Hog's Head. He has other ways to communicate with his followers and probably signalled them to join him elsewhere. Or, being the merciless person he is, he may have left the Death Eaters at the pub to face whatever trap Dumbledore may have sprung on them. That's what Voldemort did with his followers who were caught in the Department of Mysteries.

I think you raise a good point, though. Dumbledore had just revealed to Voldemort that he has informers in Hogsmeade, yet the Dark Lord apparently didn't act on this. I wonder if the village has some protection we're not aware of... or maybe just Aberforth

Old June 3rd, 2007, 6:59 pm
First Year

I believe that Aberforth will be a more prominent character in the last book. His name seems to be brought up more often than the other characters that Harry has never met. If Aberforth is the barman of the Hogs Head Inn, he could actually play a part in discovering one of the Horcruxes since the "dark" crowd seems to hang out there.

Who knows...

x | x Snape is a friend. x | x
Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:19 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

There is another possibility. If Voldemort knew that Aberforth was Albus's brother, and would likely pass information on to Dumbledore that he heard (barmen are always stereotypical purveyors of information) then Aberforth would make a great source to pass misinformation. If it was coming from his brother, Albus would believe it.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:22 pm
First Year

I don't even think Voldemort even knows that Dumbledore has a brother. Where could he have found out? It seems to me that only members of the Order actually know that the two are related.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:40 pm
ASA Signature Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
There is another possibility. If Voldemort knew that Aberforth was Albus's brother, and would likely pass information on to Dumbledore that he heard (barmen are always stereotypical purveyors of information) then Aberforth would make a great source to pass misinformation. If it was coming from his brother, Albus would believe it.
Now there's an interesting thought. It would have to be done very subtley, to convince Dumbledore, but it is possible and definately not a new tactic in wartime.

We still can't be sure that Voldemort doesn't have a spy in the Order, and in another thread someone very recently raised the question of why Mundugus was in the Hog's Head when the DA met there, since Aberforth is in the Order. The Hog's Head situation could be a lot more complicated than we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroman View Post
I don't even think Voldemort even knows that Dumbledore has a brother. Where could he have found out? It seems to me that only members of the Order actually know that the two are related.
It was reported in the paper that Aberforth was accused of doing 'inappropriate charms' on a goat. Unless Aberforth was convicted under a different name, which seems unlikely in a legal case, Voldemort will be aware that Dumbledore has a brother and what his name is. I think it's only Aberforth's location that Voldemort doesn't know.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:41 pm
First Year

I reckon that Voldemort doesn't know about Aberforth, or has killed him already in the past. Either that or he's not important at al to him.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catqueen93 View Post
I reckon that Voldemort doesn't know about Aberforth, or has killed him already in the past. Either that or he's not important at al to him.
How can Voldemort have killed Aberforth? He's perfectly alive and well at the end of book six

Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:52 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroman View Post
How can Voldemort have killed Aberforth? He's perfectly alive and well at the end of book six
He was at DD's funeral, right?

Anyway, I agree with pretty much what has been said so far; that Voldemort knows who Aberforth is but not where he is.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:14 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

If his name is Dumbledore, any dolt would recognize that he is at the very least a cousin to Albus. That alone would warrant investigating his true ties to the Headmaster by Death Eaters. If Voldemort did not have this thoroughly checked, then my respect for his prowess has been sorely damaged.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:29 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

I actually think that Aberforth is like a silent "killer". He hasn't made a big impact on anyone, which is why I think that he will be the one we will meet better in DH. To me, he's flying under the radar. So, I think he's safe for now, until--as I believe--he helps Harry and makes himself known in the wizarding world with whatever contribution he gives Harry.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old June 3rd, 2007, 8:37 pm
First Year

I'm not exactly sure if Voldemort knows that the barman is Albus's brother, but he does know that the barman caught Snape and that he told Dumbledore about his death eaters and who was there, how do we know that he hasn't been compromised??? It is said that Aberforth was in the old Order, but it never says if he joined the new one!?!? As for his powers I think he has more than he shows, but how he will use them is yet to be seen. I think Voldemort would've been angry at the fact the barman had interferred twice in his plans, and Voldemort's not a forgiving person!!

Old June 3rd, 2007, 9:14 pm
Green Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHPFAN View Post
I actually think that Aberforth is like a silent "killer". He hasn't made a big impact on anyone, which is why I think that he will be the one we will meet better in DH. To me, he's flying under the radar. So, I think he's safe for now, until--as I believe--he helps Harry and makes himself known in the wizarding world with whatever contribution he gives Harry.
Nice post . I think that LV knows that Aberforth exists; however, he has no idea that he's the Hog's Head barman. At minimum, he didn't know that in 1956 (or whenever LV applied for the DADA job), because he would never have had his DE's stay there. I think that as far as LV knows, Aberforth is not important at all. It is in LV's style to go after people through their family, but I don't think that LV was ever able to do this because he had no idea that Aberforth was hidden in plain sight.

Aberforth's hidden nature is likely to be blown open in DH; and I could definately see him being in danger then. He might not be able to be the Hog's Head barman any more - he would be in way too much danger, especially if he can't handle himself in the way that Albus could.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives