Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Old June 4th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Banned

Re: Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Well at least a few people have twigged as to what I said of an earlier post. Yes I even think that Albus little disagreement with Mundungus was staged so if anyone found out that both Aberforth and Mundungus were with the Order then they would discount any communication with them. If the DE's were a lot like Crabbe and Goyle (ie their IQ matched their shoe size) then they wouldn't have the sense to put two and two together and make four or connect Aberforth and Mundugus together let alone Albus. Voldemort was probably too arrogant and wrapped up in his horcrux making to even consider the relationship.

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:02 am
Third Year

I mean how would Voldemort find out that Dumbledore has a brother in the frist place. Like some have said very few people have meet him and he does keep a low profile. If by chance he did learn that Aberforth was another Dumbledore how could he know that he'd still be alive to this day? Just because they look similar don't mean people would go, "hey that's Albus's bro right there." I mean there are cases of strangers who look very much a like and bumping into eachother in the street like wow thats weird.

Old June 6th, 2007, 5:27 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Aberforth was in the newspapers at some point for the inappropriate charming of a goat. So, I would presume that at that point LV would know. Wormtail and Aberforth are also in the same picture together (OoTP), so Wormtail can tell LV about Aberforth. However, Wormtail may not have known that Aberforth was the Hog's Head barman.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 6th, 2007, 6:49 am
First Year

I still think that it's highly suspicious that Aberforth walked away from his exchange with Mundungus right when Harry walked up. I find myself wondering if Albus had confided his horcrux theory to Aberforth. Then, when Aberforth saw Mundungus with Slytherin's locket, he purchased it for safety until Dumbledore could kill the horcrux.

However.

Why would Aberforth have let Dumbledore go off in search of the fake locket that night? Or did they even know that it was the locket that was supposedly inside the cave? If I was Dumbledore, I would have probably wanted to rid myself of the unknown horcrux before the locket (and with the skilled Hogwarts professors nearby).

I can see both problems and decent ideas in this theory, but it's just a dabbling. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. I'm just still hoping that Albus discussed how to kill a horcrux with Aberforth. If he DOES have the real locket, then maybe Aberforth and Harry will destroy it together.

And I definitely agree that Voldemort just doesn't think of Aberforth as a threat. He must know of his existence, but Albus makes Aberforth sound extremely odd, and I think LV and the DE might be buying it.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneFan7 View Post
I still think that it's highly suspicious that Aberforth walked away from his exchange with Mundungus right when Harry walked up. I find myself wondering if Albus had confided his horcrux theory to Aberforth. Then, when Aberforth saw Mundungus with Slytherin's locket, he purchased it for safety until Dumbledore could kill the horcrux.
That's a good point, I had totally forgotten about that exchange, I just re-read the passage in the book. Maybe that is indeed why Mundungus was having a conversation with Aberforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Aberforth was in the newspapers at some point for the inappropriate charming of a goat. So, I would presume that at that point LV would know. Wormtail and Aberforth are also in the same picture together (OoTP), so Wormtail can tell LV about Aberforth. However, Wormtail may not have known that Aberforth was the Hog's Head barman.
You're right, Peter will have known he was Albus' brother. If Aberforth has managed to run the Hog's Head and maintain his secrecy then that is a remarkable feat. Iwould have thought Voldemort would have tracked down Dumbledore's family as closely as he could. Maybe the fact that he hasn't is a testament to Albus' hard-work.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:16 pm
Student

Maybe Voldemort tried to find Aberforth at one point but couldn't because of his low profile and no knowledge of where to look. After a while Voldemort could have just given up the search.

Old June 6th, 2007, 3:48 pm
Banned

Then again - as someone has suggested - Aberforth is regarded as superfluous by Voldemort simply because Albus has hinted at his so-called inferiority to cover his (in reallty) superiority?

Old June 6th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Suteki da ne

Assuming that Aberforth is the Hog's Head Barman (think it is proved???), Voldemort wouldn't have him killed because it is the Death Eaters' pub

Besides, Aberforth is a lot less prolific than Albus

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 6th, 2007, 4:15 pm
Second Year

aberforth doesn't seem like too much of a threat to the DE. he has no where near the talent of his brother and probably doesn't seem worth their while.

Old June 6th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Banned

Well I think that's the impression Albus and Aberforth have given and Voldemort has been too arrogant to consider otherwise however this could play a part in his downfall - underestimating Aberforth.

Yes is his the Hogshead barman - read the relevant interviews by Jo and you will find our suspicions about this barman well founded.

Last edited by inkling7; June 7th, 2007 at 3:12 pm.
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Assuming that Aberforth is the Hog's Head Barman (think it is proved???)
JK confirmed it in the leakymug interview

Old June 6th, 2007, 5:59 pm
First Year

Since we know that Voldemort has a habit of underestimating things (ie. power of love, R.A.B., etc.), I think it's safe to assume that he really is just underestimating Aberforth. If he had any inkling that Aberforth possessed any facet of knowledge of his horcruxes, Aberforth would have long been burnt like toast in a hyperactive toaster oven. :::runs over and starts beating her own t.o. for wrecking her raisin toast yet again!:::

Old June 6th, 2007, 6:14 pm
First Year

Maybe it is not common knowledge that Aberforth and Albus were brothers. They could be half brothers and not share a last name. Therefore Voldemort (who is short sighted) would not even presume that Aberforth and Albus could be brothers.

In fact if my memory serves Aberforth is only mentioned twice by name. In POA when Dumbledore is talking about his dealings with goats and when Moody shows Harry the photo of the old order. Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe it is only Dumbledores close friends that even know he has a brother. As he and Harry leave in HBP he tells Madam Rosemerta that he is going to have a drink at the Hogs Head, not that he is going to visit his brother. Why not? A clever plan to fool any death eaters? Then why keep it up this long?

Old June 6th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Suteki da ne

I'm sure that they are full brothers, as Dumbledore called him "My own brother"

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 6th, 2007, 6:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
I'm sure that they are full brothers, as Dumbledore called him "My own brother"
True. I wish we knew more, anything about the Dumbledore family history.

Old June 6th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Suteki da ne

I think that Aberforth is an interesting character even though we don't know a lot of him...I don't know why Voldemort would want him killed though

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 6th, 2007, 7:11 pm
First Year

Maby aberforth Dumbledore is a death eater of maby he is under some sort of protection.

Well monkey's eat bananas which grow on trees and trees grow cherries too. And George Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Therefore, George Washington was a monkey

This Quote was originaly typed by Markle
Old June 6th, 2007, 7:23 pm
First Year

Maybe he hasnt had him killed because hes never stood openly against Voldemort as Albus has done and Voldemort is perhaps too scared to try, taking this into account...more trouble than its worth. if Voldemort is scared of Albus it makes sense he would be scared of brother. Voldemort ordered Dumbledore killed in HBP because he never wanted to fight him face to face again because he knew that he would lose just as he did at the end of OOTP. Also maybe he never went after Aberforth for the fear of incurring Albus' wrath.

Old June 6th, 2007, 7:32 pm
Suteki da ne

Which means that, with Albus out of the way, if Voldemort wants a clear pathway in order to kill Aberforth, he's got one

- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 6th, 2007, 7:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Which means that, with Albus out of the way, if Voldemort wants a clear pathway in order to kill Aberforth, he's got one
But is Aberforth powerful enough or know enough for Voldemort to bother with him. I suppose it depends on how active the Death Eaters become.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives