Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Old June 6th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Why hasn't Voldemort had Aberforth Dumbledore killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnygen View Post
But is Aberforth powerful enough or know enough for Voldemort to bother with him. I suppose it depends on how active the Death Eaters become.
Yes, I don't see Aberforth being targeted if he hasn't been already. There have been plenty of opportunities for Death Eaters to attack him before now. As you have said, maybe we will see a rise in their activity that exceeds even that of HBP.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 8:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Shaw View Post
Yes, I don't see Aberforth being targeted if he hasn't been already. There have been plenty of opportunities for Death Eaters to attack him before now. As you have said, maybe we will see a rise in their activity that exceeds even that of HBP.
I was a bit surprise that they weren't more active in HBP. After what was reported to the Muggle Prime Minister there was any dramatics.

Old June 6th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I doubt Aberforth was a DE. However, I also doubt that LV and the DE's knew of how much information Albus gathered from Aberforth. I don't think they realized that he was the Hog's Head barman, so they didn't realize that he was in perfect position to be a conduit of info. If the DE's had realized this, I would bet that Aberforth would have been in much higher danger. Basically, he was hidden in plain sight (often the best way to hide).

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old June 7th, 2007, 1:25 am
First Year

Maybe it isn't common knowledge that the barman of the Hog's Head and Dumbledore are related.

Old June 7th, 2007, 1:50 am
Second Year

I don't think he had him killed because I think he's going to use him, or he's going to need some use from him, to get to something that he doesn't have.

Old June 7th, 2007, 1:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm not entirely sure Snape knew the man who caught him spying on Dumbledore was his brother. I kind of think Voldemort either doesn't know Aberforth exists or that he does but considers him trivial.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 7th, 2007, 3:21 pm
Banned

Or that Snape does know and is on the good side. Either way Jo has said that Albus' family will be a good source of information - meaning Aberforth (I think it unlikely that another unknown member of the Dumbledore family will appear). I'm really looking forward to meeting Aberforth properly in this (but unfortunately) final book.

Old June 7th, 2007, 5:09 pm
First Year

i don't think that voldemort would have considered aberforth a threat, like people (and dumbledore) have already said. aberforth was illiterate and probably not very intelligent. dumbledore was the kind of guy who, even if his family was hurt/killed, i don't think he would have retaliated all that much. dumbledore's smart, he wouldn't have gone after voldemort without a very wise plan.

I LOVE KURT COBAIN.
1967-1994 R.I.P.
Old June 7th, 2007, 5:43 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

It's a side topic to this thread, but I'm not entirely sure that Aberforth was illiterate and stupid. He wasn't as learned and brilliant as Albus, but my reading of Albus' comment in GoF was that it was typical brother-brother banter. And, to be barman of the Hog's Head, gathering intelligence for the Order of the Phoenix, probably took a fair degree of intelligence.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old June 7th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Banned

People have also said that Albus was most likely having a brotherly joke when he was talking about the literacy of Aberforth. I also happen to think this is the case and that Aberforth has a strong possiblity of being quite a powerful wizard in his own right.

Old June 7th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Suteki da ne

I don't think that Aberforth was stupid or illiterate either. I've said things like that about my brother before, when I know that he's cleverer than me...and he wasn't even there at the time...everyone I know does it, but it's funnier when they are there

Besides, I think that the "I'm not entirely sure he could read" sort of trailed off, I think he was aiming for a bit of humour

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old June 7th, 2007, 7:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling7 View Post
....Either way Jo has said that Albus' family will be a good source of information - meaning Aberforth (I think it unlikely that another unknown member of the Dumbledore family will appear). I'm really looking forward to meeting Aberforth properly in this (but unfortunately) final book.
Where did Jo say this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm wondering what Aberforth or Dumbledore's family could be a good source of info for. Dumbly's past, Horcruxes, things not to do with goat's.......?

Old June 7th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnygen View Post
Where did Jo say this? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm wondering what Aberforth or Dumbledore's family could be a good source of info for. Dumbly's past, Horcruxes, things not to do with goat's.......?
Quote:
Dumbledore's family would be a profitable line of inquiry, more profitable than sweet wrappers.
Link to full account

Staying on-topic, I think that LV must be unaware of the connection and how much Aberforth helped out. Even though Wormtail and / or Snape may be able to tell LV that Aberforth was in the Order, they may not have told LV the key detail, that Aberforth is working at the Hog's Head.

Old June 7th, 2007, 7:50 pm
Sixth Year

I doubt Voldemort knows that Aberforth even exists. He may have been a member of the original Order, but not many of those members still exist, and of thsoe that do, I doubt any of them would turn information over very willingly. Also, I doubt Voldemort would consider him much of a threat since he isn't a high-profile wizard now.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old June 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
It's a side topic to this thread, but I'm not entirely sure that Aberforth was illiterate and stupid. He wasn't as learned and brilliant as Albus, but my reading of Albus' comment in GoF was that it was typical brother-brother banter. And, to be barman of the Hog's Head, gathering intelligence for the Order of the Phoenix, probably took a fair degree of intelligence.
Yeah, we haven't seem much of Aberforth to judge whether he is illiterate, but if he was, Dumbledore would keep such a piece of information private at his discretion. I think Aberforth knows more about Albus' wanderings and knowledge than people understand and the fact that Voldemort has overlooked him (or chosen not to find him) is a great oversight on his part.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 7th, 2007, 9:30 pm
Fifth Year

I don't think Voldy thinks Aberforth D. (hereafter DD2) is a threat - I mean he was in the Prophet fro practising inappropriate charms on a goat, and DD said he wasn't entirely sure if DD2 could read - he doesn't really sound like "The New Albus Dumbledore", does he?

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old June 7th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkling7 View Post
Or that Snape does know and is on the good side.
He wasn't on the good side that night, though. Had he known, he could have, rather easily, told Voldemort who caught him...again, assuming that he knew and that this information was considered important.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:48 pm
Third Year

I don't think Voldemort thinks Aberforth is a real threat either. I mean, the way Dumbledore 1 talks about him, you would think someone had to dress him in the morning.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)

Last edited by IntricateLogic; June 7th, 2007 at 10:50 pm.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:21 am
First Year

Maybe Voldemort is afraid of Aberforth just like he was afraid of Albus and because Aberforth has never openly stood against him and is never outspoken hes sees it as more trouble than its worth to try and kill him. It makes sense to me that if hes scared of Albus he would then be weary or at least slightly concerned about facing someone with the same bloodline as Albus.

Old June 8th, 2007, 12:41 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think so... Dumbledore was known as the only one he ever feared so I'd say he either doesn't know about Aberforth or he does know but doesn't care.

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives