Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Scholastic releases DH deluxe edition cover!

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Scholastic releases DH deluxe edition artwork!

Samatha Scattergood for Waterstones - Which is your favourite member of the Order of the Phoenix?
HP Lexicon, Edinburgh "cub reporter" press conference, ITV, 16 July 2005
JK Rowling: I keep killing all my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix, but there is one member of the Order of the Phoenix that you have not yet met properly and you will ** well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't really met them properly yet and you will meet them in seven, so I am looking forward to that.

What if it is Aberforth

Maybe the animagous one was a my imagination...I am still searching though

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Fifth Year

OMG OMG *jaw drops to the floor*

It's Norbert, it has to be! Though Norbert was described as a 'crumpled black umbrella', which means he's a black dragon, and this one looks more bronze.

OR.. I know!

It could be an animagus.. get this: Maybe Snape is a dragon animagus, and they're all riding on Snape's back, yay!

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever_charmed View Post
Aberforth... I wonder what would he be? Oh, I remamber. A GOAT, possibly. Why is Ron's hair blond-like again. Just like on the UK cover art...
This makes me a hypocrite (in terms of my previous hair colour musings, heh), but Ron's hair is definitely red - the pale parts are from the sunlight coming from the right side of the image, I think.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
First Year

Alberforth is quite a tattered old wizard...the dragon deffinately looks tattered and old, whereas Norbert is a young dragon

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Second Year

"Antipodean Opaleye
The Antipodean Opaleye is considered by wizards worldwide to be one of the most beautiful species of dragon. They are found in New Zealand but are known to migrate to Australia when territory is scarce. It weighs between two and three tons and its flames are bright scarlet. Described as having iridescent, pearly scales and multi-coloured pupil-less eyes, the Opaleye never kills humans, its favourite food being sheep. Its eggs are pale grey and may be mistaken for fossils by Muggles. A series of kangaroo killings in the 1970s were attributed to a male Opaleye ousted by a dominant female."

"Norwegian Ridgeback
The Norwegian Ridgeback, in the form of Norbert, was the first dragon encountered by Harry Potter during his time at Hogwarts. The book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them notes several facts about this species, including the prominent jet-black ridges on its back (hence the name), the fact that, unusually for dragons, the species preys on water-dwelling creatures (as well as most large land animals), and the fact that this particular species develops its fire-breathing abilities at the age of 1 to 3 months, which is earlier than other species of dragon. It is also a rarer breed of dragon and is especially aggressive towards its own kind. The eggs of the Norwegian Ridgeback are black and can be placed in the center of a fire to hatch. [HP1]"

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_%28Harry_Potter%29
I think the dragon is a Antipodean Opaleye because of the pupilless eye and the fact that they don't harm humans.

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:43 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
If anyone was gonna fly a dragon, it'd be Harry.
I totally agree. It could be that Dumbledore found out that a true heart is needed for possesing a dragon. Dumbledore knows almost every thing what`s going on in Hogwarts, therefore I`m sure he knew about Norbert. And why should he allowed Hagrid to hatch a dragon. While he discovered the 12 uses of dragon blood he could have learned something to tame a dragon.

Quote:
And where are they, do we think? Scotland? I like the idea that it's Godric's Hollow... if I was going to choose a house to be the Potter's, it would be that one in the background, at the base of the second mountain.
I`m convinced it is Scottland because I think the books will end in the same country in that the whole story plays. And where are such high mountains, if not in Scottland?

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsweape View Post
ravenclaw is blue. but i don't think the blue on her sleeve is actually ON the robe. i think it is a rip in the robe, revealing her blue shirt beneath the robe.
Oh yeah, I forgot. But it does make since that since Hermione is the way she is that she alone would want to stay at Hogwarts, out of the 3 of them that is.

Secret Keeper

I will go with the majority and say Norbert and also add that perhaps this explains the school moto of:

Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Second Year

There is only one dragon that is not dangerous to humans and that have no pupils:

The Antipodean Opaleye is considered by wizards worldwide to be one of the most beautiful species of dragon. They are found in New Zealand but are known to migrate to Australia when territory is scarce. It weighs between two and three tons and its flames are bright scarlet. Described as having iridescent, pearly scales and multi-coloured pupil-less eyes, the Opaleye never kills humans, its favourite food being sheep. Its eggs are pale grey and may be mistaken for fossils by Muggles. A series of kangaroo killings in the 1970s were attributed to a male Opaleye ousted by a dominant female.

I found this on another site. It is from fantastic beasts and where to find them.

Sorry Som! we posted 1 minute from each other loool!

"You said once before, that there was a time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
"We're with you whatever happens."

Join the ASA today and help prevent SPOILERS!.
Old June 8th, 2007, 4:44 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsoofold13 View Post
If Hermione is wearing Hogwarts robes in that, then she changed houses, because the robe has blue to it too, not just the shirt on the inside, but also on her left sleeve (right from our perspective).
Looks like a simple rip on her left shoulder, revealing her shirt beneath.

Also, remember that none of the robes have a House patch on them in the novels, that's something from the film that we see.

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:45 pm
Oracle Octopus

One thing that interests me about the cover is the back ground....it is a mountainous region with a village in its valley.

When I re looked at the list of Dragons on Lexicon I came across the Hebridean Black Dragons whose description also fits the dragon in the art work. What is more interesting is that these Dragons are found on Hebrides Islands which is located northwest of mainland Scotland...this is quite close to Hogwarts.

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:46 pm
First Year

Look at Harry's right cheek! there seems to be a strip of some sort-- maybe a bandage?

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
This makes me a hypocrite (in terms of my previous hair colour musings, heh), but Ron's hair is definitely red - the pale parts are from the sunlight coming from the right side of the image, I think.
Trust me, I was one of those people that were always saying, Ron has red hair, and now I'm starting to get confused. But no matter. We'll see in 42 days...

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
the Hebridean Black Dragons
But this dragon is more bronze than black...

I still think Snape's animagus is a dragon.. that's why it was secret for so long!

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Samatha Scattergood for Waterstones - Which is your favourite member of the Order of the Phoenix?
HP Lexicon, Edinburgh "cub reporter" press conference, ITV, 16 July 2005
JK Rowling: I keep killing all my favourite members of the Order of the Phoenix, but there is one member of the Order of the Phoenix that you have not yet met properly and you will ** well, you know that they are a member, but you haven't really met them properly yet and you will meet them in seven, so I am looking forward to that.

What if it is Aberforth

Maybe the animagous one was a my imagination...I am still searching though
There are other members of the Order we know but haven`t met properly, like Elphias Doge, Hestia Jones, Sturgis Podmore, Kingsley Shacklebolt. It could also be one of them.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Second Year

Actually I just looked at that page, perhaps it could be a Peruvian Vipertooth?

Quote:
The Peruvian Vipertooth is a small (about fifteen foot long) and swift dragon with copper-coloured skin and smooth scales. The dragon has short horns and venomous fangs. It enjoys preying on humans to the point that the International Confederation of Wizards had to order a mandatory cull of these dragons to lower their exploding numbers. Besides humans, the Vipertooth will also eat goats and cows. According to J. K. Rowling's website, the first Peruvian Vipertooth was caught by Harvey Ridgebit, a famous Dragonologist.

Mai fan fics... let me show you them. (click the spoiler tag!)

Ravenclaw and proud
until JK puts me in Hufflepuff...
Old June 8th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post
But this dragon is more bronze than black...
Where does it say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runes View Post
I still think Snape's animagus is a dragon.. that's why it was secret for so long!

Second Year

so what the heck is going on with harry's robes? the statement released says they are all in tatters, so maybe that's what's going on there. but to me, it looks like he is wearing some kind of strange material. it almost looks like tree bark or something. also, it doesn't appear long enough to be a robe or a cloak like ron and hermione are wearing. so what is it? just normal, tattered muggle clothing?

maybe it is some special, magical article of clothing that gives harry control over the dragon!

or maybe it is just an ugly, fuzzy sweater.

First Year

What is Hermione looking at?

Old June 8th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ofdecember View Post
Look at Harry's right cheek! there seems to be a strip of some sort-- maybe a bandage?
Kind of looks like it. Is there somewhere we can go to get a magnified look? I know they have it for other covers....

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies