Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Comments on: Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread

Old June 20th, 2007, 3:57 am
Zonko's Employee

Comments on: Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread

WARNING: This is a spoiler free area. For all Deathly Hallows discussion, please head to The Deathly Hallows Forum. Any posts in this thread that are considered to be spoilers shall be deleted by staff. Thank you.

The time has come to test your divination skills in the Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Contest! Read the rules and post your theories over there and post any questions or comments here.

Last edited by Pegasus; July 13th, 2007 at 7:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 4:45 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Comments on: Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread

This looks exciting
Do we have to answer all of the questions?

Old June 20th, 2007, 4:47 am
Zonko's Employee

Nope, just the ones you have an opinion on.

Old June 20th, 2007, 5:16 am
Trelawney's Apprentice

What a good and thorough list! Normally, I don't predict things in the books because I don't want to be so caught up in being right or not (which is a big deal for me ) but this looks fun, so I'll fill it out (mostly random guesses ) and look at it after I'm done reading!

Old June 20th, 2007, 3:33 pm
Second Year

Will we all get to know the results we got? Or will we only be notified of if we won? How many winners will there be? Is there a certain # of things right you must get to be a winner? What if we don't learn what happens for one of the questions? Like, what if we don't find out if Percy was a spy? Will that question not count, or will we get points if we put down "we won't find out"? I know, lots of questions!

Last edited by muggle_born1; June 20th, 2007 at 7:46 pm.
Old June 20th, 2007, 5:43 pm
First Year

If you've read "the little things" on MuggleNet, they tell you that they're speculating Jo always introduces something briefly in one book and then it is crucial two books later (1-3 Animagi; 2-4 Polyjuice Potion; 3-5 Prophecies; 4-6 the Pensive). I think 5-7 is the Veil in the Department of Mysteries.

Old June 20th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthedarklord
If you've read "the little things" on MuggleNet, they tell you that they're speculating Jo always introduces something briefly in one book and then it is crucial two books later (1-3 Animagi; 2-4 Polyjuice Potion; 3-5 Prophecies; 4-6 the Pensive). I think 5-7 is the Veil in the Department of Mysteries.
Well, first of all, welcome to COS. If you want to share your theory, you should probably post it here:http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=89630. This thread is for discussing the Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread. Good idea though.

Old June 20th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Seventh Year

Personally, i found some of the questions really pointless (sorry, just my opinion!), such as if there was anything more to Treaver or not? Well, seeing as Neville seems to have got rid of him some point in the third year, i just don't think that that question will be answered.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old June 20th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle_born1 View Post
Will we all get to know the results we got?
Most likely not. We might give the top ten.

Quote:
Or will we only be notified of if we won?
If you win, you will be notified.

Quote:
How many winners will there be?
We have multiple categories that will be revealed after judging.

Quote:
Is there a certain # of things right you must get to be a winner?
No. The point totals are based on the total number of correct and incorrect answers. The person with the highest point total wins.

Quote:
What if we don't learn what happens for one of the questions? Like, what if we don't find out if Percy was a spy? Will that question not count, or will we get points if we put down "we won't find out"? I know, lots of questions!
If the question wasn't answered, then the questions will not be counted in the final point total.

Last edited by Katze; June 20th, 2007 at 9:21 pm.
Old June 20th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
Personally, i found some of the questions really pointless
Our sincere apologies for attempting to inject a bit of fun into the questions

Old June 20th, 2007, 9:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post
If the question wasn't answered, then the questions will not be counted in the final point total.
Alternatively, you could mark "this will not be addressed" as the correct answer. We put those in the "101 Questions" survey simply because many of the test makers thought a lot of questions common on the net simply would not be addressed.

Having experience with that, one thing that you might do is post an example of how you would like the answers to be given. For the 101 questions, I posted my answers immediately, just to given an example of the format. It does not eliminate questions: but I'm sure it reduces them AND it lets people who actually read the instructions answer them!

Hmmm, my "gleam" hypothesis has a few takers, I see!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:05 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Our sincere apologies for attempting to inject a bit of fun into the questions
Sorry. It's just that i thought that this was meant to be about serious guesses that truely could (and would) be answered in the book.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:33 pm
Fifth Year

Is #41 like an extra credit question?

Old June 20th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Hmmm, my "gleam" hypothesis has a few takers, I see!
I like that theory

Won't this test be a lot of work to grade? The opinions can be varied. I suppose, though, that any really crazy thing that JKR introduces that only a few people guess will be the real tip off.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Sorry. It's just that i thought that this was meant to be about serious guesses that truely could (and would) be answered in the book.
In jammi's defense, I will point out that he was always very serious when we put the 101 Questions together: I put in most of the goofy responses! What can we say, jammi is a serious boy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
Won't this test be a lot of work to grade? The opinions can be varied. I suppose, though, that any really crazy thing that JKR introduces that only a few people guess will be the real tip off.
That is why we went multiple choice: too many of us who put the test together had too much experience grading!

In reality, short answer is the best format for the test taker: people get sooooo hung up on multiple choice because things are not exactly what they want them to be, and 99% right is not enough. Also, thinking of everything that someone suspects is tough. (It actually is tougher for a "real" test: you have to put out the known answer plus some answers that look plausible, without putting in things that students will think are "tricks.")

Still, the best way to grade this will be to search for particular words. It is pretty easy to write programs to do that: read through each string response and then if the key word is there, it's right; if not, then it's wrong.

OR...... brew a lot of coffee and grade until your brain rots.....

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:11 am
Mad Hatter

Quote:

As Jessica stated, we are trying to have a bit of fun. This is the last book after all... However, the answers should be serious. Please note that you do not have to answer every question. If there is one you find too humorous, you may skip it.

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:54 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Is #41 like an extra credit question?
Yeah, is it? If so, how does that work? A point added for correct speculations; a point deducted for incorrect?

Old June 21st, 2007, 1:00 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbProfNeville View Post
Yeah, is it? If so, how does that work? A point added for correct speculations; a point deducted for incorrect?
Yeah pretty much. When we did this for OotP, I posted my excellent theory that McGonagall was Harry's godmother in that section.

Old June 21st, 2007, 1:18 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Yeah pretty much. When we did this for OotP, I posted my excellent theory that McGonagall was Harry's godmother in that section.
I bet that Dumbledore would die, although on another group! (Nobody guessed Sirius!)

We had one here for HBP, too: but the results were all deleted when the forums did maintence during the hiatus one week prior to the book!

We had results for the same Prediction Survey from another site, but the answers were generally sooooo wrong (and, it turned out, most of the questions sooooo irrelevant!) that most of the questions were answered by "this was not relevant!" That left a big 75 way tie for last, really.....

I do remember a few things about the results from the Tolkien site. There were a fair few people who thought that Voldemort had survived by leaving his soul in Harry or somewhere else: amusingly, there had been a pretty strong "either/or" debate prior to Prince! (Rowling had told us to ask ourselves the question about how Voldemort survived before the book came out, you might recall.) Nobody guessed at the soul splitting, however, which is not surprising: Rowling is (insofar as I can find) the first author to do that.

Let's see, what else: Dumbledore was a popular candidate for dying, and Ginny was twice as popular a choice as Luna for Harry's next girlfriend. The Half Blood Prince's identity was split between Dumbledore and Tom Riddle (on the grounds that Tom and Voldemort were different). A couple of people guessed Snape. So, in general, we stunk! I do not even remember the other questions, they were so magnificantly irrelevant......

It was easier asking questions for Hallows: at least we know what the general plot will be, whereas we had none for Prince.

Old June 21st, 2007, 4:35 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
So, in general, we stunk! I do not even remember the other questions, they were so magnificantly irrelevant......
Well, now I feel better. The only thing I guessed right for HBP was the correct interpretation for the prophecy, which isn't saying much since Dumbledore pretty much explained it in OotP.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies