Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Comments on: Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread

Old June 21st, 2007, 9:32 am
Sixth Year

Re: Comments on: Official "Deathly Hallows" Prediction Thread

Um, hi. Kind of a picky question, but here goes: if I think Harry will die, but I also think that he'll come back again having done his whole "Mystical journey of soulosity Oooo000OOOO!" bit, could I just put that he dies? Technically, he would have died, after all... only he'll have come back again afterwards. Or is the dying being counted as final? (What an odd sentence. *sigh*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111
Well, now I feel better. The only thing I guessed right for HBP was the correct interpretation for the prophecy, which isn't saying much since Dumbledore pretty much explained it in OotP.
Me too. We did this on another forum, and I got the dedication and the potion (on the cover) right. I was totally off on everything else. Like Snape dying, for example

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:59 pm
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
Um, hi. Kind of a picky question, but here goes: if I think Harry will die, but I also think that he'll come back again having done his whole "Mystical journey of soulosity Oooo000OOOO!" bit, could I just put that he dies? Technically, he would have died, after all... only he'll have come back again afterwards. Or is the dying being counted as final? (What an odd sentence. *sigh*)

I would say exactly that. Say that he dies and comes back, because that is a completely different answer than dying or living by itself. If he dies and comes back you will be right. If he dies, or he lives you would be wrong in that answer.

Old June 21st, 2007, 4:14 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks2005 View Post
I would say exactly that. Say that he dies and comes back, because that is a completely different answer than dying or living by itself. If he dies and comes back you will be right. If he dies, or he lives you would be wrong in that answer.
Okay, thanks, I'll do that! (Though I think I've confused myself a little now... maybe I'm making it too complicated )

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old June 21st, 2007, 4:42 pm
Banned

This was fun!! Some of them made me think, and some just made me laugh. It's good cos after I've read the book, I can look at my answers and just be like 'you doofus...'

Quote:
Me too. We did this on another forum, and I got the dedication and the potion (on the cover) right. I was totally off on everything else. Like Snape dying, for example.
Really don't blame you for thinking [or hoping] that

Old June 21st, 2007, 8:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Okay, thanks, I'll do that! (Though I think I've confused myself a little now... maybe I'm making it too complicated )
heh: undoubtedly! In general, my advice to students on open questions is just state what you think the answer is.

The tough part is that many students do not understand the question. The tougher part is all of the weasels who know what the question is, but who hope that they can trick you into giving the answer. The one benefit here is that only a handful of people who actually know the answers....

That being said, Leaky Cauldron has a huge 400 question survey. It's multiple choice and computerized, which makes it easier to mark! However, they fail to include a lot of "none of the above" or "we will not learn that" options that are necessary. Also, a lot of their questions have possible responses that are not mutually exclusive: but you can mark only one...

And, to top it off, they ask questions that already have been answered. (Yes, Snape has used James' cloak: he used it in Prisoner!)

Nobody said this was easy!

Quote:
Me too. We did this on another forum, and I got the dedication and the potion (on the cover) right. I was totally off on everything else. Like Snape dying, for example
Yeah, I missed that, too.....

What cracked us up was that the one set of questions we had that really were pertinent just inspired more argument. For example, we did ask what Snape's motives were and if we would learn them. Many people there said, especially a couple who had guessed from Order that Snape had a thing for a certain protagonist's mother, cried a ha! We were shown to be right! Others said that, no, it was not shown. So, we argued about the apparent answers, too.

$50 says that we'll be doing that with this quiz after Hallows.....

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; June 21st, 2007 at 8:33 pm.
Old June 21st, 2007, 9:42 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
In jammi's defense, I will point out that he was always very serious when we put the 101 Questions together: I put in most of the goofy responses! What can we say, jammi is a serious boy.....
Hay! I can be fun too, it's just that my fun doesn't come from putting funny answers to serious questions! You know what i mean, right...?

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old June 21st, 2007, 9:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
That being said, Leaky Cauldron has a huge 400 question survey. It's multiple choice and computerized, which makes it easier to mark! However, they fail to include a lot of "none of the above" or "we will not learn that" options that are necessary. Also, a lot of their questions have possible responses that are not mutually exclusive: but you can mark only one...
Do you have a link to that survey? I couldn't find it.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 1:09 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
Hay! I can be fun too, it's just that my fun doesn't come from putting funny answers to serious questions! You know what i mean, right...?
heh, true! That was my job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Do you have a link to that survey? I couldn't find it.
Here it is!There are a lot more questions of the "Trevor" variety: in fact, I think that is there. I suspect that the people here tossed Trevor in for levity, but I'm not so sure with the other one: they have questions about every imaginable detail. Indeed, even the details that are addressed get "is there something more to BLANK?"

I prefer the one here: it's only 40 questions rather than 400, only a couple of "silly" and that just provided a chuckle rather than being annoying. (Personally, I laughed at the Trevor question: and I provided it with an equally serious answer.....)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:00 am
Sirius' Girl

The very last question -- the "anything else?" one -- if we put down a prediction that is not otherwise covered in the quiz, and it is right, do we get a bonus?

Old June 22nd, 2007, 3:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimagine View Post
The very last question -- the "anything else?" one -- if we put down a prediction that is not otherwise covered in the quiz, and it is right, do we get a bonus?
That sounds like a fine idea. Since it isn't specific, we can count it as the "extra credit" question.

Nice suggestion.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 4:35 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post
That sounds like a fine idea. Since it isn't specific, we can count it as the "extra credit" question.

Nice suggestion.
But then if it's wrong, are we penalized points? I feel like I'm in the running for the House Cup and Snape is going to take 10 points from me if I don't get his allegiance right or something.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 5:22 am
First Year

good question list!

I'm really excited that some one else shares my theory about Frank Longbottom being there on the night Harry's parents were killed!!(albeit only 3 or 4 last time I checked)

Someone from the order has to have been there to tell DD what happened, and that's why we saw his ward in OOTP but didn't see him-he's recovering!!

am going to keep checking to see who else thinks he was there!

Old June 22nd, 2007, 5:47 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbProfNeville View Post
But then if it's wrong, are we penalized points? I feel like I'm in the running for the House Cup and Snape is going to take 10 points from me if I don't get his allegiance right or something.
this is just like proctoring a midterm! (I'm glad I'm not doing it, or I would be )

Old June 23rd, 2007, 2:49 am
Second Year

Hey, I got another question. What if you put "maybe" as your answer? Can you get 1/2 a point? Such as: maybe ___ will die. Does that maybe void it? Or does it not matter and I am asking a dumb question?

Old June 23rd, 2007, 6:48 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle_born1 View Post
Hey, I got another question. What if you put "maybe" as your answer? Can you get 1/2 a point? Such as: maybe ___ will die. Does that maybe void it? Or does it not matter and I am asking a dumb question?
I think that's a good question. On a good many of the questions, I feel I put in too much information or did a "could be this " OR "could be that" thing. Perhaps the simpler the better!
Great list though- covers the main stuff and I for one, enjoyed the brevity! Who knows, Trevor might be the next muggle prime minister.

JOHN 5:24
Proud owner of EXCEEDS EXPECTATION in WOMBAT#2
Quote: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." Albus Dumbledore

People who have not been in Narnia sometimes think that a thing cannot be good and terrible at the same time.

The giant squid's favorite snack is folks who spoil!
Join the ASAtoday and help preventspoilers!.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 8:13 am
Curse Breaker

Out of curiousity, how will you "grade" generally correct vs. specifically correct? Take the "gleam" example: some people have said that it will lead to Voldemort's downfall whereas others have offered specific reasons why it will. So, if one of the specifics is exactly correct, then a lot of people will be generally correct. Will there be a difference in grading?

(I have run into the situation where student A sees that student B got better marks for the "same" answer when A said "pie" and B said "cherry pie" and the answer was "cherry pie" and A does not understand why he/she got fewer points! )

Old June 23rd, 2007, 9:44 am
Master Seer

Whimsey, what is your gleam theory? (Just post the link if there is one)

as for pointless questions or not - I for once greatly enjoyed someone's answer 'Trevor is a toad with an escape plan'

Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:32 pm
Fifth Year

Well I answered them but I am terrible at this sort of thing!

I enjoyed that. Thank you

Old June 23rd, 2007, 2:11 pm
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle_born1 View Post
Quote:
Out of curiousity, how will you "grade" generally correct vs. specifically correct? Take the "gleam" example: some people have said that it will lead to Voldemort's downfall whereas others have offered specific reasons why it will. So, if one of the specifics is exactly correct, then a lot of people will be generally correct. Will there be a difference in grading?

(I have run into the situation where student A sees that student B got better marks for the "same" answer when A said "pie" and B said "cherry pie" and the answer was "cherry pie" and A does not understand why he/she got fewer points! )
We will grade based on correctness of course. Maybe is a bit up in the air. It will have to be discussed among the judges because it is too open for interpretation.

As far as exactness and general, I believe that the one who has it exactly correct will get the points.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 5:52 pm
Sirius' Girl

One more thing: we can add to or edit our answers if we get to it before the "outage", right? There are some things that I just do better when I'm not being "helped" by Baby Evie (although the world is always much more interesting when she is around)...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies