Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Draco join the "good" side? v2

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:23 am
First Year

Re: Will Draco join the "good" side? v2

i am betting that draco and his mom slip away during some major DE event and head to a safe place

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 8:42 am
Banned

I think he will hide somewhere with his mother with the help of Snape. Then I think he'll go to the side that seems to be winning OR he will be one of those that help unite all the houses at Hogwarts.

Old July 1st, 2007, 9:12 am
Third Year

I do believe he will come over to our side. I've believed in Snape's good side for awhile, so now that Draco is with Snape I feel that Snape will convert him and make him see why he should come to the good side. I don't know if Lucius can be saved, but he'll probably die so it won't matter.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:06 pm
Second Year

i think he will come over to the good side, but that it will be at great personal risk to him.
Either that or he has no choice.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 3rd, 2007, 1:21 am
First Year

This is a tough one... I think Draco got way in over his head in HBP and got scared. Whether that fear still runs through him or if he has faced it and overcame it, we'll soon find out. Personally, I think Draco will join sides with Harry... take some of that glory that he has always envied Harry having.

And oftentimes, to win us to our harm,
The instruments of darkness tells us truths,
Win us with honest trifles, to betray's
In deepest consequence.--

-Shakespeare's Macbeth
Old July 3rd, 2007, 1:32 am
Second Year

Absolutely he will. Currently, if I had to guess the fate of the Malfoys I would say Lucius dies, Narcissa and Draco survive and Draco ends up protected by Hogwarts and the side of good, becoming a professor at Hogwarts eventually. Narcissa and Draco are extremely redeemable characters IMO and Rowling even goes out of her way to show us this. I mean come on, Draco crying to Moaning Myrtle? Myrtle chastising Harry about Draco having feelings? Narcissa crying to Snape? Dumbledore saving Draco from commiting murder? Snape saving Draco after Harry Sectumsempras him? It would be a waste of writing if JKR DIDN'T redeem Draco/the Malfoys after all of that hard work setting it up!!! Even Lucius is shown as the victim of his own ignorance, literally in the case of the diary. He's not beyond redemption either but I have a feeling JKR will go the way of killing Draco's father and saving Draco's mother.

Draco, imo, was put into the story for the specific purpose of being a redeemable character, much, much like Snape. It's part of growing up to realize that the cliques of high school are meaningless in the face of real evil in the real world. When you see people at high school reunions you once hated, you don't bite their heads off. The people you grow up with end up being your doctors, dentists, teachers of your children, etc. We have to learn to overcome childhood rivalries, all of us, and Draco smacks of that bit of moralism to me. (I do think he'll get a bit punished, though, perhaps he really is a werewolf instead of a Death Eater! Can you say Lupin all over again?)

Last edited by oneinhufflepuff; July 3rd, 2007 at 1:41 am.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 1:35 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardsBestGirl View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree.

In fact, at the end of HBP, I think Draco was seconds away from taking Dumbledore up on his offer of protection.

Even Harry - who loathes Draco - noticed that Draco lowered his wand while talking to Dumbledore and is described as believing Draco wouldn't have killed Dumbledore.

I think Draco realizes now that being in with Lord Voldemort's crowd is serious, dangerous and not merely something to be cocky about. He's only a 17 year old boy, and the realization that death is imminent and Lord Voldemort kills is enough (I think) to snap him to the side of the Order of the Phoenix.
When you brought up this quote, the first thing I thought is that it could easily go either way, for after he lowers his wand he refuses to accept DD's offer. Also, would the Order even trust him after what he has done (not just trying to kill DD, but harming Ron as well)?

Old July 3rd, 2007, 1:37 am
Second Year

I strongly believe he will turn up good after all or at least I hope so. Proof of that is his hesitation on the tower went he was supposed to kill dumbledore.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 5:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff View Post
Absolutely he will. Currently, if I had to guess the fate of the Malfoys I would say Lucius dies, Narcissa and Draco survive and Draco ends up protected by Hogwarts and the side of good, becoming a professor at Hogwarts eventually. Narcissa and Draco are extremely redeemable characters IMO and Rowling even goes out of her way to show us this. I mean come on, Draco crying to Moaning Myrtle? Myrtle chastising Harry about Draco having feelings? Narcissa crying to Snape? Dumbledore saving Draco from commiting murder? Snape saving Draco after Harry Sectumsempras him? It would be a waste of writing if JKR DIDN'T redeem Draco/the Malfoys after all of that hard work setting it up!!! Even Lucius is shown as the victim of his own ignorance, literally in the case of the diary. He's not beyond redemption either but I have a feeling JKR will go the way of killing Draco's father and saving Draco's mother.

Draco, imo, was put into the story for the specific purpose of being a redeemable character, much, much like Snape. It's part of growing up to realize that the cliques of high school are meaningless in the face of real evil in the real world. When you see people at high school reunions you once hated, you don't bite their heads off. The people you grow up with end up being your doctors, dentists, teachers of your children, etc. We have to learn to overcome childhood rivalries, all of us, and Draco smacks of that bit of moralism to me. (I do think he'll get a bit punished, though, perhaps he really is a werewolf instead of a Death Eater! Can you say Lupin all over again?)

I think you're right about the redeemable character. I've always thought that Malfoy was placed in there for that very reason. Why? I can't explain, just something about him I guess.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm
First Year

Well, since Draco failed to kill Dumbledore, he's going to run because he will expect Voldy to come after him. He's failed his one big mission and is going to go into hiding - probably in a very amateur way. But Snape made the Unbreakable Vow to protect Draco, so he's going to be bound to take him somewhere safe. And where will he take him? The Order of the Phoenix.

Maybe not directly to the Order, but to someone who can protect him. I really think Draco's going to turn good, and fight against the Death Eaters in the final battle. But I also think he's not a powerful enough wizard to survive a war. Either way, Draco's headed for the chop.

[What would Dumbledore do?]

ACCIO HAGRID!
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:30 pm
Second Year

yes absolutely, as will Snape, and Wormtail...

Oh, how bout yes to all of the Malfoy's...

*pretty world*

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:16 pm
Lycanthrope

I know Draco was portrayed as a bully, but we did not have his viewpoint during the telling of the tale.

To us, Harry comes across as mostly good even though from time to time he does things that could be construed as "bad" - like breaking school rules, etc - but we forgive him because we get to hear how he is thinking and we can justify most of his behavior. Even his wrongful behavior we forgive because we get to read his 'remorse'

We don't read any of Draco's thoughts, we don't know if he feels remorse or why he chooses to do the things he does. We might feel that he is justified in all he thinks, does and says if we knew his thoughts.

JKR has indicated that he is just a plain old classic bully and not a character to warrant sympathy. But has JKR reallly sat down and worked out why that might be? Perhaps she has and that is what led her to begin to redeem his character in HBP.

In any case, I don't think we really know the extent of any 'badness, evil, goodness, remorse' etc. about Draco, so it is hard to determine if he'll ever consider really joining the Order against Voldemort and if he did so, we wouldn't know why he did it unless she tells us.

I don't think it much matters. I like the idea of him being the one who goes back to teach at Hogwarts. That would be too hilarious, had never crossed my mind.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:24 pm
Second Year

goodness and badness are relative...

Draco may not think of himself as a bad person, but then again he might

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie33 View Post
Draco falls between the lines of "Good" and "Bad". EVIL is too strong a word for him. He's extremely arrogant and prejudiced, but that's FAR from being Evil/Bad.
Dudley Dursley, for example is a Criminal. He chooses to beat up little kids because he enjoys it. He also lies to his Parents because they've failed to wake up and notice what's really going on. He also steals from 10 year-old kids for the thrill of seeing them cry. The proof is in the fact he LIES to his Mother about having "tea" with his friends and being "oh so sweet" to his Auntie Marge, etc.
With Draco though I see him as being a little different. He is very arrogant and thinks the world owes him a living. He's been raised to believe the World owes him a living and things should be handed to him on a Silver Platter because he's a Malfoy and his Father is a Governor.
As to whether he will join the "Good" side, I don't think he will. The "Good" side are "weak". In his mind, they're "weak" because they believe that Sunshine and Puppy Dogs cure all ailments. Sorry I had to quote Dr. House there. He'd also have to admit he was wrong and work with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley and Hagrid. Basically I see him going where Snape goes. Unless Snape dies early in the book and Draco is left on his own, I don't see him going to the Order.
He's going to go where he will feel safe, right now it's with Snape. Plus he has to watch out for Voldemort and his Father.
Unless everyone he usually uses for safety are gone, I don't see him joining the "Good" side.
Since when is Dudley considered a criminal? He's just a normal teen boy, o.k, maybe he steals once in a while, and he's a bully, but a criminal? No.

The fact of the matter is that Draco couldn't prove himself to Lord V., so Snape had to fulfil his Vow. The Death Eaters and using Crabbe and Goyle were just for his own protection, supposedly his allegance was to the Voldemort, but seen otherwise after his failed attempt at Dumbledore. He wasn't willing to kill, much rather he was scared to kill. Draco's father is a known Death Eater, but he doesn't necessarily have to be like him, he's done with allegiance to Voldemort b/c he would probably be killed if seen by Voldemort or a Death Eater, so my guess is Draco is going to hang around in the middle: flee away from the scene and act cowardly like he usually does; or he can prove himself to the Order, but I don't think this will happen. His original intentions were not to join the Order, to never join the Order, he was born a Death Eater in a sense, and being a Slytherin helped him.

Which Marauder Are You?
Old July 4th, 2007, 12:27 am
Third Year

Draco will always be the way he is because of the way he was brought up. The only way he goes to the good side is if his father does.

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:44 am
Second Year

I understand where you are coming from but I think people change...I also think that he wasn't capable of murder, and now he knows that...to be a death eater you have to be able to kill and torture. I don't think that he will change sides necessarily, but when it comes to saving himself and his family over serving the dark lord he will save himself and his family, which means that he isn't a true death eater...or at least not one that Voldemort would want

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:55 am
First Year

Draco's too far gone to join the good side. It wouldn't be believable.

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:56 am
Second Year

Draco just saw the leader of the Order get killed. Surely he'll think the Order can't help him. He knows he doesn't have what it takes to be a Death Eater. Draco's going to go on his own. And the life expectancy of those who try to escape Voldemort is short indeed.

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:57 am
Second Year

If he can regret his decisions then he isn't too far gone, and his actions show that he can feel regret...why would he cry in the bathroom

Also his reasons were slightly noble...he did what he did because he didn't want his family to die, that isn't a selfish thing

But I agree that he won't join the Order or anything that drastic

Old July 4th, 2007, 1:00 am
First Year

I agree. Draco is not the kind of boy who actually kills and tortures. So yes, he's mean sometimes, but as HBP has proved, Draco isn't actually capable of murder.
I think he'll join the "good" side. Not because he wants to defeat the Dark Lord, but because he wants to save what's remained of his family - his mum.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies