Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Discussion: The Horcruxes

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:39 am
Genius Loci

Discussion: The Horcruxes

This thread is to discuss the Horcruxes. Depending on how much work it is, we may split some horcrux debates to their own threads, depending on their varying importance to the plot.

The Forum Rules are in operation as always.

Questions:

1. What did you think of Umbridge having Slytherin's locket?

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose?

3. Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes?

4. Were the Horcruxes in places you expected them to be?

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes?

Last edited by Hes; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:04 am. Reason: forum rules link changed
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:21 pm
First Year

Re: Discussion: The Horcruxes

I never would have expected Umbridge to have Slytherin's locket, and that was a nice twist. I also liked the method that horcruxes could be destroyed and I didn't think the sword of Godric Gryffindor was overused. I actually never noticed until someone told me about it that ever horcrux was destroyed by someone else:

Riddle's Diary - Harry
Gaunt's Ring - Dumbledore
Slytherin's Locket - Ron
Hufflepuff's Cup - Hermione
The Lost Diadem - Crabbe (it was his fire thing that destroyed it)
Nagini - Neville
Harry's Horcrux - Voldemort

That was certainly interesting to find out. I liked the adventures they had finding the horcruxes. They went to places I expected, like Gringotts, and some I didn't expect, like the Ministry. As for the book that Hermione got, I don't really care that much. They explained it well I guess, and it does sort of fit her character.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:38 pm
First Year

(refer to questions in original post)

1. I think it was a great excuse for the Trio, Harry especially to get back at Umbridge. Freeing muggle-borns, and getting Mad'Eye's eye, made it work well.

2. It shows Gryffindor's involvement in helping Muggle-borns even hundreds of years after his death. I don't see any problem with a heroes using a legendary sword. I don't think that concept can ever be overused.

3. It is fitting that so many had a part in killing Riddle.

4. They were in very logical places.

5. As Vortex said, that's typical of Hermione.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:00 pm
First Year

In regards to Umbridge having the Slytherin locket, I was actually pretty amazed at the gumption she had to not only wear it as she was, but to claim that it was her own family heirloom!! Umbridge has never failed to shock me!

I can't imagine anything else really being effective in destroying the Horcruxes. How many other weapons could there possibly be that would be powerful enough to destory such dark magic? I don't think it was overused in the least, it was perfect.

I think it's important that so many people had the opportunity to "stick it to 'em!" I think it said a lot about the magical worlds hype about Harry being the Chosen One. It proved that you don't have to be Chosen or even an overly remarkable wizard to bring down Voldemort. It's a huge moral lesson right there.

I think I was really shocked by the location of the diadem. I can't believe that Voldemort was so naive to really think that was his special place! Hah!

I thought it was hilarious that Hermoine only had to use the Accio spell to get the book. Dumbledore meant for them to get it, I'm certain.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:05 pm
Fifth Year

I thought that this was an interesting twist. Umbridge seems like just the kind of person who wouldn't notice the evil that that locket emitted. I just wish we could have known how much of the evil she was doing was her and how much was the locket.

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose?
There were only so many things JKR could have used to destroy the Horcruxes. It would have gotten confusing if every Horcrux had been destroyed by a different thing. There was just the right variety.

Surprised, yes; displeased, no. I thought it was nice to see that many people helping Harry. Although I liked seeing Neville get his moment of glory, I really would have liked to see Ginny kill Nagini and have had Neville do something else.

For the most part yes, but that didn't matter to me. It was the process of getting them that made it interesting, not the process of finding them.

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes?
Since it was Hermione, no. If it had been Ron saying "Haha, accio horcrux book, I would have been surprised. Coming from Hermione, though it seemed like a brilliant idea. It also would have been more surprising if we had seen it happen rather than just hearing about it.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:17 pm
Snidget of Champions

I must admit that I was not thrilled of it at first. However, like xCPBear57x said, it was a reasonable way for the trio to get revenge on Umbridge. However, the buildup to getting in the Ministry was quite a good read, so I cannot feel disappointed about who had the Horcrux. I knew that the trio would have to get into the Ministry sometime during the book, and I am glad that JKR used this setting to retrieve a Horcrux. It is the perfect scene: The trio, probably the top three Undesirables, has to break into the Ministry (where everyone is on the lookout for them) undetected, and then retrieve a Horcrux from the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister. Absolutely one of the best parts of the story: it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I would not say that it was overused, except for it being used to kill Nagini. It makes sense that a relic of a founder would be able to destroy another (even though it would be possessed with a piece of soul). And, when one thinks about it, it only destroyed 3 Horcruxes, and we did not see Dumbledore use it, nor did Neville's use of it truly sink in. I highly doubt that there would be a better way to destroy a Horcrux - it is the most fitting way.

At first, yes, but then it made perfect sense. Ron and Hermione certainly deserved to destroy a Horcrux each, considering, without them, the retrieval of the Horcruxes would not have been possible. I think it would have been ridiculous if Harry had to destroy them all - somewhat monotonous, if you ask me. No, JKR did it right when only one person destroyed a Horcrux each.

Absolutely not. The only one I was correct on (and I even had this Horcrux split between two things/places) was the tiara. I never truly liked the theory, but I also had a hunch it would be used. However, I was wrong when I thought Nagini would be in the Riddle House (protected by Wormtail, which is how he would repay his debt), the cup would be in the countryside where Riddle learned he could talk to snakes (I thought the cup being in Bella's vault was somewhat foolish, actually), the locket with Aberforth/still in Grimmauld Place, and I had no idea that Harry would be a 7th Horcrux. Of course, I am proud to say that I stuck with the Nagini-is-a-Horcrux theory to the very end.

This surprised me in no way. With everything said about Dumbledore, I am certain that Dumbledore wanted the trio to find those Horcrux books. Thus, I am certain that he lifted an enchantment that did guard them to allow Hermione/Harry to retrieve them easily.

It seems as if many of the fans guessed Voldemort's Horcruxes and their locations somewhat easily, with twists here and there. Many believed of the tiara, locket, and cup (and some did believe the cup was in Gringotts - even some believed it was with Bella), and Nagini staying with Voldemort was no surprise. However, I am not criticizing JKR for her seemly act of 'unoriginality,' for she had these ideas in her head from the beginning, and she was not about to change them because some fans guessed them. It does not truly matter what/where the Horcruxes were, but how the hunt for them was written.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; July 24th, 2007 at 3:37 pm.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:24 pm
First Year

1. I was surprised to see her having the locket. She is such an evil toad and I groaned out loud when it was revealed she was returning to the story.

2. I don't think the sword was overused at all. The tiara destruction surprised me, I didn't expect it to be Crabbe who did the spell to ruin it.

3. Nope, I liked it. It showed how everyone was a part of it.

4. The one under the pond was unexpected, but I was one of those people who thought the tiara in the Room of Requirement was a Horcrux in HBP so I was smugly satisfied when it turned out to be true. Voldemort was so arrogant.

5. That was such a Dumbledore thing to do I laughed. It was very easy but I found it charming rather than offputting.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:39 pm
First Year

I liked that they had to go up against her again, she was just as arrogant then as she was in OOTP.

Over used? I don't think it was over used at all.

Yes, but I thought it was a good touch that Harry was not in this fight alone.

Yea, there were no surprises really on where they found them.

No, I'm sure it was planned that way.

"4. The one under the pond was unexpected,"

what was under the pond?

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:41 pm
Snape Lover

*meh* I thought that was a bit strange, but definitely in character. I was disappointed with how confusing the cave explanation was. Who put the potion there to begin with? How did more potion get there after Regulus was killed? I'd loved to see a thread about the locket horcrux, the cave, Regulus, and Kreacher!
I don't think it was. It was their primary means and an important relic. I was confused about how Neville got the sword at the end though. Didn't the goblin have it?
3. Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes? I thought that was pretty awesome! Really good! So many people had a hand in it, spread the love. I really enjoyed the horcrux!Hermione/Harry baiting Ron I thought that was well done.
Um...not really, but I had no clue really. Gringotts was interesting for sure, I was surprised about the RoR!
5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes? Umm...Not really, I mean for Tom to find out about them there must have been ready knowledge somewhere. The library never fails Hermione without a good excuse

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:46 pm
Fifth Year

It was odd but the excursion to steal it from her was a good way of showing the depth to whoch the Ministry had become infiltrated and evil.

No, I don't think so. It would have been dull if it was all the same, but it wasn't. I'm going to think some more about the methods for each one before I wirte much on it, though.

That for me was one of *** best bits of the book. That it was Harrys' quest, but that it was shared by his supporters, and that some fo the destruction was done by accident.

It works because Harry is a symbol, he's the chosen one, he's a rallying point for one side. He is the one who kills the head of the other side. But he is representing the others, he's everyman, he's doing something they all want done, and it turns out that he can only acheive this because they've helped him. They are all working together, and he is trusting people to help him, which Voldemort never does.

The tiara and snake - yes, absolutely. The cup, no, I hadn't thought of that at all. The locket - I thought Mundungus would have sold it, perhaps back to Borgin and Burkes.

initially, but as everyone's said, it's logical that Dumbledore would organise things so the trio would get the book.

"Manners, Potter, or I'll have to tell you a spoiler," drawled Malfoy. "You see, I, unlike you, have no regard at all for others' feelings, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out spoilers."

"Yeah," said Harry, "but you, unlike me, will be banned, so get out and leave us alone."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:47 pm
Second Year

1. What did you think of Umbridge having Slytherin's locket? I really wasn't too surprised at it. I wonder, did she go to hogwarts, and if so what house was she in? Also, was she holding onto it knowing that it was something belonging to Voldemort? I did like how they were able to have there revenge on her personally and take the Locket from her.

2. What did you think of the destruction methods for each Horcrux? Was the sword of Godric Gryffindor overused for that purpose? No, I don't think the sword was over used, but I guess I was kind of surprised at how easily that hermione and ron got the basilisk fangs. How did they get back out of there when the last time they were flown by Fawkes.

3. Were you surprised at how many different people destroyed Horcruxes? Not really, I thought it was kind of great how it really was a team effort...minus voldemort.

4. Were the Horcruxes in places you expected them to be?No, not at all. Umbridge having one, one in Bellatrix's safe, and Harry being one, that was nuts. Also about Nagini, I thought dumbledore said to rule out the snake in HBP?

5. Did it surprise you how easy it was for Hermione to get the book about Horcruxes? No, I think Dumbledore left it accesible on purpose when the truth about voldemort started coming out. Thinking either harry would find it, or Hermione would find a way to retrieve it.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:48 pm
First Year

I thought the idea was awsome!They had to get even with Umbrige in one way,but I never imagined it would be so rewarding!It was a really good twist to place the locket with Umbrige,in the Ministry of Magic!Harry,Ron and Hermione really had to work to get this one!

Come to think about it,I don't think it was overused!What could they have done,collect a basilisk fang for each Horcrux?)And it would have been useless,since the sword already had basilisk venom imbibed in it,so..Great way to dispose of the Horcruxes!

I thought it was really great how everyone had their part in the story,and how it couldn't had been done without them all!I enjoyed Neville the most!He finally had his moment of glory!

Nope,nothing could have prepared me for Umbrige!And the cup in Gringotts,and the tiara in the Room of Requirement!Actually,the tiara caught my eye during HBP,when it was mentioned being there when Harry hid his book,but I didn't suspect it was Rowena Ravenclaw's!

I think it was of Dumbledore's doing!He wanted to aid them in their quest!

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:49 pm
First Year

That was a nice surprise, I did not quite like that she had that bloody eye on her door. That bothered me quite a lot. Poor guy.

The sword wasn't overused, it was quite clear why they did need the sword, for what reasons and it wouldn't have been believable if they would have had to find other things, that matched the swords characteristics.

Yes, that suprised me. But it was nice to see, that Ron got his chance and did it.

Yes. Those places did not surprise me.

Hehe. That was nearly too easy. But I liked it.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:07 am
Second Year

I still don't get how Voldemort could have hidden a part of his soul in the RoR, where all the other hidden things were so clearly visible.

that truly IS arrogant. His weakness that was his downfall

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:23 am
First Year

1. I thought it was brilliant!
Quote:
It is the perfect scene: The trio, probably the top three Undesirables, has to break into the Ministry (where everyone is on the lookout for them) undetected, and then retrieve a Horcrux from the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister.
2. Not overused at all.

3. Harry has always had his friends to help him, it was natural to me they'd have their part in this too.

4. I expected Nagini to stay with Vold*****. As for the others , I had sort of speculated right, but there were little suprises too.

5. Dumbledore had made this possible.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
I still don't get how Voldemort could have hidden a part of his soul in the RoR, where all the other hidden things were so clearly visible.

that truly IS arrogant. His weakness that was his downfall
That really was quite lame. Voldemort's official reason is that he's so incredibly unique and intelligent that he's the only one who would have the foresight to hide something extremely valuable to him in the RoR....WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS THAT HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE HAVE ALSO HIDDEN ITEMS IN THE PLACE. I don't buy that for a second, but then again Voldemort did some pretty stupid things in this book, further undermining his aura of invulnerability. The hiding of the Horcrux in the RoR, for one, is a plainly visible illustration of his colossal stupidity.

Considering the insecurities and fears manifested in Dumbledore and Ron's attempts, I wanted to see what Hermione had to endure when she destroyed the cup. Sadly, it happened offscreen.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:18 am
First Year

1. I was surprised that Umbridge had the locket, I thought it would still be in Grimmauld Place. I thought it was a great twist though and a good way to get her a place in the story.

2. I was also happy with the destruction methods, and the sword didn't feel overused. The one that felt a bit stretched was Crabbe's (fiendfire?). That he actually summoned one of the few things that could destroy a horcrux in the room where a horcrux was.

3. I was surprised that everyone got a crack at destroying them, but I liked the fact they did. Neville's heroics were one of the highlights of the book for me

4. Well, the one that I got wrong was Nagini. I thought there was only 6 horcruxes + the piece of soul left in VM. It didn't occur to me that as VM didn't know that he'd made Harry a horcrux, he would split his soul again and end up with an "extra one", as it were. So I guessed: diary, ring, locket, cup, something of Ravenclaw's (probably the tiara in room of requirement) and Harry. Well, I thought Harry's scar itself most likely, because I thought if it was Harry himself it would be difficult to see him living, and I always thought he would make it.

5. I could never feel surprised about Hermione getting any kind of book from anywhere anyhow ever

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:36 am
Sixth Year

I was shocked that it was her. Honestly I didn't expect to see her play such a big role in DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantsea View Post
In regards to Umbridge having the Slytherin locket, I was actually pretty amazed at the gumption she had to not only wear it as she was, but to claim that it was her own family heirloom!! Umbridge has never failed to shock me!
I suppose I put too much belief in the fact that everyone would know the Slytherin locket if they saw it. Come to think of it, it's entirely possible Umbridge didn't know it was a Slytherin relic either!

I wasn't expecting them to use the sword that way. I figured once the protections were gone it was just a matter of destroying the vessel. To this day I can't believe the Secret Keeper question beat out the How to Destroy a Horcrux question on JKR's poll.

Definitely! I figured the trio would be involved, but somehow Harry would be the one doing the destroying. Funny how no one ever destroyed more than one.

Some were and some were not. I really didn't thing the RoR would be used. Honestly, it's a secret room but when Voldemort hid it didn't he see all the other items in there and wonder if it was secret enough?

I don't believe it was easy at all. I think it was clever how she came up with the idea and I think Dumbledore was counting on her do something like that.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:57 am
Zonko's Employee

I didn't honestly see how it could be of importance. It all came clear later on though.

It was used for the locket, to reach the cup, and to kill Nagini. Was that all? Overused, meh, I would go that far. The horcrux organization and brilliance will go down in history. JKR astounded me beyond all other brilliance with her writing.

It would get lame if it was just Harry. It was nothing less, nothing more, than perfect.

The cup and the headcrest, no. The rest, yes. Especially the locket.

Just another part of Dumbledore's grand plan.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:19 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thagrimreaper View Post
That really was quite lame. Voldemort's official reason is that he's so incredibly unique and intelligent that he's the only one who would have the foresight to hide something extremely valuable to him in the RoR....WHEN IT'S OBVIOUS THAT HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE HAVE ALSO HIDDEN ITEMS IN THE PLACE. I don't buy that for a second, but then again Voldemort did some pretty stupid things in this book, further undermining his aura of invulnerability. The hiding of the Horcrux in the RoR, for one, is a plainly visible illustration of his colossal stupidity.
I thought that too, but then I concluded that Voldemort must have been the first person to ever discover that room. There is no way that, as you say, he would've stored something as valuable as the horcrux in a place that hundreds of other people clearly had access to. The room is first described as containing items from thousands of students; between Voldemort hiding it there, and Harry discovering it in HBP, it's not inconceivable that thousands of students would've passed through Hogwarts in that time.

XIII
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone