Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why didn't Lily apparate with Harry?

Old June 29th, 2007, 6:35 pm
First Year

Re: Why didn't Lily apparate with Harry?

The only thing I believe prevented Lily from apparating would be time. Its like suppose Voldemort comes in through the front door. Both Lily and James probably head to the door to see whats up. I say they both went to the door or were near because James told Lily to take Harry and run. It takes Voldemort barely any time at all to kill James and then hes heading straight for Harry. Lily just gets to the room where Harry is and Voldemort is right behind her. She has no time to do whatever escape plans they had cuz they wouldnt be stupid enough to not have one. She has no time to escape so she realizes she has to try to stand in fight. And to answer your question from my pov I think that if given the oppurtunity Lily would have apparated with Harry for it seems the easiest and most effective way to escape because Voldemort won't know where she apparated to.

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2007, 6:50 pm
First Year

Harry at age 16 had trouble breathing first time at side along apparation. He could have died at age one. She must have know there was at least a chance if she stood ground.

Old June 29th, 2007, 6:52 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by req4adrm
Which sets up my question that I asked previously, to which no one has yet replied: So, let me just make sure I understand what everyones thoughts are on the matter. It seems the majority thinks something was keeping Lily from being able to apparate, no one is saying that if Lily could have apparated both herself and Harry to safety that she wouldn't have, right?
I think that is the majority consensus. Lily was unable to apparate due to restrictions of the protections on the house, time, and/or panic. However, it seems to me that though they wanted to protect the house, they wouldn't have made it so difficult to get out in case of an emergency. I put it down to time and panic.

Old June 29th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Student

I don't think that she could with all the protections on the house, but then one must ask why make it impossible to apparate if it could save them?

Old June 29th, 2007, 7:45 pm
Third Year

No idea... Good question though.

Old June 29th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Second Year

I go with the charm places a bar on apparition to and from the house, or there was a form of charm which stopped apparition to and from Godrics Hollow. Because if you could apparate I don't think LV would have bothered knocking on the front door.

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:30 pm
First Year

Isn't it possible that she just couldn't envision a place that she though was safe enough for her and Harry to go?

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofrekm View Post
Isn't it possible that she just couldn't envision a place that she though was safe enough for her and Harry to go?
I would think, giving her current circumstance, that anywhere would be better at that moment. They could always go somewhere else later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonforever View Post
I go with the charm places a bar on apparition to and from the house, or there was a form of charm which stopped apparition to and from Godrics Hollow.
Like I've said before, the fact that a charm would prevent apparition into a house is very understandable. However, for it to also prevent apparition out leaves the residents in extreme peril in a case like this.

Old June 29th, 2007, 11:00 pm
First Year

yeah is rigth i didnt think about that,,, she could have scape,,, but why she didnt is a good question... there must be a good reason that explain why she couldnt leave her house, maybe the spell that dumbledore has on the house and the protection as a guardian he has on the house make impossible to apparate inside the house or outside maybe who knows...
well my other theory is that she has to stay in the house for an especific reason that we only gonna know when the las book be realesed...

Bye...
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore is dead but is my grandpa!!!
A Weasley vamos a coronar!!!!! : ) : P
i WaS gOnE bUt NoT tO fAr AwAy....!!!!I lOvE yOu Baby you are the best housband almost 3 years having you by my side!!!!!kisses...RoSe!!!!!

Old June 30th, 2007, 1:50 am
Arithmancer

I believe that Lily chose to stand and fight. Perhaps not so much fight as stand her ground. She was in a desperate situation and I'm sure all her thoughts were focused on Harry and Harry's survival. I don't believe though that she had proper time to think about things that she could do. Perhaps she didn't think of apparition. Perhaps Voldemort put an anti-apparition on the House or perhaps the charm on the house restricted Apparition. It's a good question though.

I believe though that time prevented her from apparating or it was her choice to stand and fight.

Old June 30th, 2007, 2:06 am
First Year

In OOTP, Dumbledore draw a anti-apparate shield to stop the captured DE from escaping. Voldemort would have done the same prior to enter the house. It would have been a standard procedure for DE prior to storm a house. Would be quite meaningless to storm a house and find that everyone is gone via apparation/fireplace etc.

Old June 30th, 2007, 2:20 am
Third Year

Its a very good question. At first, I had to think of it. The only thing that I can think of would be that if they had left then the series would be very different. Voldermort would have not killed Lilly and Harry would not have gone to The Dursley family. I do think that maybe Lilly would have gone to Dumbledore for help but then I don't know who thinks would end up.

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

Viva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old June 30th, 2007, 2:34 am
First Year

i think she didn't apparate with harry because it might have hurt harry since he was only a baby,when he apparated with dumbledore he feel some sort of side effects,just imagine those side effects on a baby.That would be a major .

made by me
Old June 30th, 2007, 3:09 am
First Year

Aaaaannddd... if you just think of it straight forward... What would be the point of the story if Lily didn't die? Harry would be raised like a normal boy. (Perhaps still a little famous for him and his mum escaping and all) But still! There wouldn't be a point. If it wasn't panic, then it was just good writing. Not everything has to have a reason, and this might just be one of those little things that Rowling didn't think completely through.

Old June 30th, 2007, 3:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by req4adrm View Post
I'm not sure if this question has been addressed here before, but why didn't Lily simply apparate with baby Harry after (or even before) she saw Voldemort kill James?

We've now been shown that it's possible to apparate someone who can't apparate themself (in HBP - DD apparates Harry twice, Harry then apparates DD because he is too weakened), so why wouldn't she have chosen what seems to be (at least to me) such an obvious solution.
To me the most obvious answer is that you couldn't dissaparate(or whatever you wright it like) from the house. Dumbledore says that many wizard houses have this charm so you can't apparate in them, maby you can't disapparate from them either, like in hogwarts.
But also, think like Lily. Suddenly the door blasts open; Voldemort himself is standing on the doorstep. James says you need to take Harry and run. You run taking Harry with you. You need to protect your son. A green flash. You hear a body fall on the ground. You look behind you. James! You close the door. Voldemort found you. James is dead. You need to protect your son. You here footsteps on the stairs. The door opens. A green flash, then blackness.
Now seriously, did you think one moment of dissaparating?

Old June 30th, 2007, 7:05 am
Zonko's Employee

I thought there were probably anti-apparation wards there.

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old June 30th, 2007, 9:16 am
Fifth Year

I don't think there was time, anyhow....Voldemort probably would have followed them!

Old June 30th, 2007, 1:33 pm
First Year

These are what I think that could have stopped her apparating:

1. She didn't know how to apparate (unlikely, but possible)

2. The charms on the house stopped her from apparating. (Rember Fred and George could apparate around the OotP Headquarters but not out or into it)

3. Voldemort cast a spell on the house to stop apparation.

4. She tried to apparate, but was so frightened and stressed she was unable to do so.

Hmmmm.....there are probably more reasons, but I think no.2 or 3 is most likely.

Old June 30th, 2007, 2:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayEagle View Post
Aaaaannddd... if you just think of it straight forward... What would be the point of the story if Lily didn't die? Harry would be raised like a normal boy. (Perhaps still a little famous for him and his mum escaping and all) But still! There wouldn't be a point. If it wasn't panic, then it was just good writing. Not everything has to have a reason, and this might just be one of those little things that Rowling didn't think completely through.
Agree!

Old June 30th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Third Year

I don't think she could do it. She was under extreme stress that Harry is going to die (and James already did) and thus, lost all her magical powers that moment of time. It seems to me that she did not even bother to throw a deflecting spell on LV...

Maybe for the "love charm" to work, one must sacrifice without using any defence. This could be another possibility.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives