Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake

Underground Lake #40 - The Deathly Hallows Underground Theory

Old July 1st, 2007, 8:01 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Underground Lake #40 - The Deathly Hallows Underground Theory

Discussion of The Underground Lake #40 -- The Deathly Hallows Underground Theory by Brandon Ford.

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2007, 8:39 am
First Year

Re: Underground Lake #40 - The Deathly Hallows Underground Theory

I think the translation of the title for Sweden by JKR herself was "Harry Potter and the Relics of Death"...so I think the Deathly Hallows refer to the horcruxes. But I love the theory that Voldy is trying to merge the living and the dead. That makes a lot of sense.

Old July 1st, 2007, 8:41 am
First Year

Hi! That is certainly an interesting and inovative () theory. Its always great to hear some new ideas. Thanks!

However, I think Deathly Hallows more likely refers to the Horcruxes, because of the alternative title for the translators -- Harry Potter and the Relics of Death.

'Sounds like the sort of mental thing Dumbledore would say.'
Old July 1st, 2007, 9:46 am
First Year

interesting theory. Although the other posters seem to think the translated title indicate that the relics of death are the horcruxes I can see them just as easily being the souls of those killed via a curse. Notice I say via a curse, as Sirius ended up there when cursed but not AK'd ( no green light indicated I got the impression he was just stunned and fell through) Those behind the veil are the remnants of death directly as opposed to the horcruxes which house a piece of a "live "soul that is split by another's death. Nothing holy about the horcruxes but the same may not be able to be said about the others who have ended up behind the veil. The problem I see with this is assuming that all who are AK'd are holy. Take for instance the deatheater who got ak'd by the blond deatheater does falling through the veil make you holy?

I think my head is beginning to hurt - July 21 can not come soon enough !!!

Old July 1st, 2007, 10:01 am
Second Year

Hi Brandon, nice to hear from you again. Nice editorial. My beliefe is that Hallows are things, not a place. Jo translated the title for a non english country and it came out "Relics of Death". That to me means objects, ie. horcruxes.
Though I whole heartily agree with your train of thought that Voldemort has been absent for two books now and I myself have been curious as to what his plans where if he did kill Harry, his last remaining threat.
What urks me alot is that Voldemort and Snape have told the DE's that Potter is, "Medioker to the last degree." What must be going through the DE's minds when Voldemort continues to set elaborate plans to destroy Harry Potter instead of just ignoring him and going on with his plans to do whatever he wants to achieve. They must think he's gone around the twist a few times and back. They dont seem to think of him as much of a threat, then why go after him at all? If I were a DE I would think that we were wasting our time with Potter and his freinds.
Im interested to find out if any of the DE's revoult or ignore Voldemorts orders in DH to save their own skin. After all, thats what Slytherins do, right? HeHe.

Last edited by kerri; July 1st, 2007 at 10:04 am.
Old July 1st, 2007, 2:36 pm
Second Year

I think you did a great job. It is giving me something else to think about. You do go places that I never would have gone. Again Great Job!

Old July 1st, 2007, 3:19 pm
Inconceivable!

This is a very interesting theory. I am not sure it is right. But I think the author of this editorial is the same one who guessed the idea that was similiar to the horcrux theory, so maybe it has a chance to be right.

Personally, I hope Harry doesn't go into the veil and fight in the "other world". But that is just the way I feel. It has nothing to do with what JK Rowling could possibly come up with. The new quote that they discovered (mentioned on the Leaky Cauldron today) about JK Rowling talking about death, could almost support this editorial. She suggests that in book 7 they get very close to death, but not quite there.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old July 1st, 2007, 3:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I hadn't thought about it, but Voldemort might quite like to get control of the "land of the dead." It's an interesting idea, and a new one, and this late in the game that's great. I do think that Harry at least will visit the realm of the dead (perhaps in a vision, perhaps in actuality); this happens in Greco-Roman mythology and JKR does like to use her sources. He has gone underground at the climax of each book except GoF, and he was in a graveyard then.

Enjoyed the editorial!

Old July 1st, 2007, 5:09 pm
First Year

"WE KNOW EVERYTHING! As I said above, the past six books have been slowly feeding us information, bits and pieces of seemingly unrelated events that fit together to make a puzzle."

Jo has already said that everything we need to solve it is in the first 6 books.

"All I know is, we’re going to see Voldemort out in the open for once."

Yes, the cover of book 7 shows us that.

I do like the veil theory though.

Old July 1st, 2007, 6:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurrectio3 View Post
I think the translation of the title for Sweden by JKR herself was "Harry Potter and the Relics of Death"...so I think the Deathly Hallows refer to the horcruxes. But I love the theory that Voldy is trying to merge the living and the dead. That makes a lot of sense.
Hear, hear. Do the math:

Deathly Hallows = Relics of Death = Horcruxes. Q.E.D.

Even so, Brandon's theory about what Voldemort intends to do could be sound. Though I think having 7 horcruxes would probably give an evil dark lord a fairly secure feeling about his own immortality. The question is, what do you do with your life once you have made sure it will never end? I think the only fitting occupation for an unkillable wizard with a disregard for other people's lives, morals, rights, and happiness - a wizard who hates muggles and loves power - would be to take over England as a sort of demonic Oliver Cromwell. Equal parts revolutionary reign of terror, fascist police state, and dark-wizard-style theocracy. After England...the world?

By the way, I always thought *I* was the author who guessed something very similar to the horcux theory. See my editorial "I KNOW! I KNOW!", which ended in a very similar way to B. Fizzle's current piece - that "I'm probably way off and I almost hope I am but I have a spooky feeling I'm really close" stuff. Great minds think alike, eh?

"Er - I don' want ter be rude, but who the ruddy hell are you?" - Hagrid

Last edited by FishEByrd; July 1st, 2007 at 6:39 pm.
Old July 1st, 2007, 6:42 pm
Third Year

Interesting theory!

I always thought that due to Voldmorts absence...He must be planning somthing HUGE up his sleeve! And this might just be it. I always thought there was somthing more to that Veil....And as soon as i saw the U.S. cover i knew that they must be on the otherside of the Veil, And it makes sense for Voldemort to want to take over the land of the dead because his ultimate goal is to conquer death and live forever....And what better way to do that then to use his "relics of death".....I believe that his Horcruxes serve more than one purpose other than just a 'safeguard'....Just as Dumbldore mentions about Riddle's diary, I think that Voldemort could be using his Horcruxes as an anchor so he can be able to travel safely to the otherside of the veil without dieing so he can take over.

Mcgonagall:Do you think it will work Severus?
Snape: Of course it will....The WB muggles will think this necklace is worth millions of dollars and they will grab it, Then the spell i casted will work and they will all turn into........
Mcgonagall:A bunch of babbling, bumbling band of baboons!....Now Hurry up and package it already!...Serves them right!.
Old July 1st, 2007, 8:12 pm
Fourth Year

I agree that the veil contains the souls/life essence of the dead, and I like the idea that they're behind the veil - but as we see in OOTP with Sirius, don't you have to be dead to pass through the veil ?

Also agreed that LV must have something big planned. I figure now he summons up his armies and with DD gone, attacks MoM and Hogwarts, the two centres of wizarding world. And, he unleashes a massive man-hunt on Harry.

Old July 1st, 2007, 8:52 pm
Student

This is awesome! I love this theory, it makes sense. It made me wonder if LV trying to get into the M.O.M to get the prophecy was a red herring, what if he was really trying to get to the Veil or test something at the veil. Plus what about the scene with Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione at the veil. I think Harry was on one side with Ginny and Ron, and Hermione on the other and she made Harry come to her side. Not that I want Ron and Ginny to die and I am definatly not a H/HR shipper. But what if that was foreshadowing to a choice that Harry will have to make at the end, Stay in behind the veil or not? Hmm this is a good theory.
About the title, I always thought that Deathly Hallows was just a fancy name for Horcuxes, but it could have a double meaning, it's not unlike Jo to give us one thing and have it mean something totally dfferent than we thought. The title itself could be a redherring.

Old July 1st, 2007, 9:01 pm
Second Year

I like this theory! It's similar to various ideas I've had since we learned the title.
There is another quote from JKR in an interview that could support this, but unfortunately I can't find the exact quote, so I'll have to paraphrase: "In book seven, Voldemort does finally get the leg room he's been waiting for" This could mean a lot of things, obviously, but I thought I'd mention it....

Another possible reference to the "Underworld" is in PS/SS - the "toothless old ferryman" who gave the Dursleys and Harry a ride to the hut on the rock.

and over our heads will float the Blue Bird, singing of beautiful and impossible things,
of things that are lovely and that never happen, of things that are not and that should be."
- Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:27 pm
First Year

the background of the cover looks like an ampitheatre which is where the veil is in the department of mysteries. This supports deathly hallows refering to the veil in some way

Old July 1st, 2007, 11:50 pm
First Year

Hi Brandon,

nice editorial! I like your ideas. Jo ties more meanings to one thing and leaves more interpretations open to some things in the books. When contemplating on Deathly Hallows, I became deeply convinced that the title has several meanings. One of the main things that bothers me is that some people ponder too much on Deathly Hallows being one thing, instead of realizing that it's a plural!

Another thing which strikes me is the interpretation of Deathly. I don't know why there's so much attention on the Hallows, while Deathly gives us some clues too. When you would translate it in Dutch (my native language) and retranslate it in English, it would become something like 'dead-ish' or 'like dead/appearing dead'. This could very well point toward the horcruxes, because they are inanimate objects, but containing a piece of a living soul, so they appear to be 'dead objects'. Another idea is that Deathly refers to people that appear to be dead.

Death is an important facet in the Potter books, almost in a Shakespearian manner. We have had clues and discussion, but I think we may say with certainty that the last word about the dead hasn't been said! -- James, Lily, Cedric, Sirius, Dumbledore, all characters we'd like to see more of. And I think we will see more of them and therefore I like your theory about the veil, being a 'beyond' world where those who appear to be dead, are yet alive. They are the Deathly and they will aid Harry for the sake of Love - the greatest magic.

How, when, what, will be a mystery until we read the final book, but like I've said in several other threads, Jo told us that book 7 will reveal her religious thoughts and ain't Life and Death very religiously loaded subjects? And isn't it very Christian to believe in the promise of the Eternal Life? What does this mean for Harry's actions in book 7, being so influenced by Dumbledore's preaching of Love and standing up for others?

Maybe a Seer could say... thanks again!

“Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.”

- Dumbledore's man through and through -

Last edited by Pearl84; July 1st, 2007 at 11:52 pm.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 1:45 am
First Year

JKR is good for having redherrings in her title/stories.
Example: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire". While the "goblet of fire" in the title refers to the goblet that is used in the triwizard tournament, the real crux of the story is LV coming back in human form.

I think the same thing is occurring with this last book.
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". While the "Deathly Hallows" in the title refer to the relics of the four founding fathers, the real crux of the story will be LV, Harry and the veil. Brandon's makes a great effort of describing the true stroyline that will involve these three things and the relics of death will tie all three together.

We must also remember that Halloween is a celebration of a day in which the boundary between the world of the living and the dead become BLURRED. I think Brandon's point of view can provide some concrete evidence that LV might try something on Halloween when the veil separating the living and the dead at the MOM is at it's weakest; hence the "bridge" that Brandon is talking about.

LovelyL

Old July 2nd, 2007, 2:15 am
Second Year

WE must remember Brandon was spookily close to guessing about Horcruxes before book six came out. I'm not certain he isn't J.K Rowling herself. He could very well be right about this too.

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Visit this website
godisimaginary.com/index.htm
Old July 2nd, 2007, 3:36 am
First Year

Great editorial Brandon!Something to ponder before the 21st,at any rate!Really liked the idea of LV,bridgeing the two world's in some way.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 4:01 am
Inconceivable!

I think my main objection to the idea that Harry et.al. will revisit the veil is that it is in the Ministry of Magic. I just don't picture the action going back there. At the time the Death Eaters and Voldemort were able to get into it, the powers that be, Cornelius Fudge, etc, were denying Voldemort's return. Lucius Malfoy had Fudge's ear. That situation is changed now. Scrimgouer is not as foolish as Fudge. I doubt that Death Eaters can just waltz right into the Ministry in Deathly Hallows. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEByrd
By the way, I always thought *I* was the author who guessed something very similar to the horcux theory. See my editorial "I KNOW! I KNOW!", which ended in a very similar way to B. Fizzle's current piece - that "I'm probably way off and I almost hope I am but I have a spooky feeling I'm really close" stuff. Great minds think alike, eh?
Congratulations for figuring that out. Not many people did.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake