Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Old July 8th, 2007, 7:29 pm
Second Year

Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

What seemingly throwaway remarks, (or minor detials) from the previous books do you think will be important to Deathly Hallows?

For instance, it`s only a minor detail that Hermione is a Gryffindor, but surely she should be in Ravenclaw (the house that favours the academic)? I`m sure that that`s leading somewhere.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 9:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:16 pm
Third Year

Re: Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara_Kedavra View Post
For instance, it`s only a minor detail that Hermione is a Gryffindor, but surely she should be in Ravenclaw (the house that favours the academic)? I`m sure that that`s leading somewhere.
I don't see Hermione being a Gryffindor as a minor detail at all - if she was in Ravenclaw, Harry and Ron would not have shared classes or a common room with her, they would not have become friends with her, and she would not have been an integral part of Harry Potter's adventures. Hermione being a Gryffindor is central to most of the plotlines through the series.

Old July 8th, 2007, 8:22 pm
First Year

Quote:
I`m sorry if this has been posted before, I looked and couldn`t find anything like it anywhere, so here goes.

What seemingly throwaway remarks, (or minor detials) from the previous books do you think will be important to Deathly Hallows?

I agree with powerof7 because although she is very intelligent, which would associate her with Ravenclaw house, ultimately preventing her being close to Harry/Ron.

And you could argue that she also had many qualities that Gryffindor would have looked for in a student, possibly surpassing her academic qualities, but i very much doubt that.

Spoiler: show
I'm a spoiler!

Snape is a hero
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:23 pm
First Year

I agree, Hermoine being a Gryffindor is VERY important. And while she is intelligent and therefore should be in Ravenclaw, I have to say that during the last six "years" she has proven herself extremely courageous.
As for another throw away comment, Hermione did say that the sorting hat considered putting her into Ravenclaw. So, like Harry not wanting Slytherin House, perhaps Hermione discussed this with the hat in order to come to the Gryffindor conclusion.

First Year

There's no way Hermione being in Gryffindor in a minor detail.
Look at all the stuff she goes through with Harry and Ron? Surely that's the bravery part.
....There's no where that says 'you're smart so you have to be in ravenclaw'.
...Not trying to snap or be rude, of course. Just pointing it out.

Professor McGonagall is amazing.

"I wonder, how you can expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

"I should have made my meaning plainer. He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."

"Are you quite sure you wouldn't like a cough drop, Dolores?"
First Year

Quote:
I`m sorry if this has been posted before, I looked and couldn`t find anything like it anywhere, so here goes.

Well, if you put that together with the special edition cover art of DH, it looks as if Hermione will be switching houses to Ravenclaw (if you assume that she is wearing Hogwart's robes in the cover). So, she would be the first to change houses. But everyone assumes that that is just a tear on her sleeve, so they dismiss that theory.

First Year

I think that everything is a minor detail until it is made big. Put simply enough!!! Hmm... as said above, if Hermione was in Ravenclaw, Harry and Ron would probably be dead. They would be dead right from the first book providing they got as far as discovering what the Philosopher's stone was, they would have been killed by the Devil's Snare. Hmm.... that's a point actually.... as I said before, every single thing that happened in this book led on to something else - creating a fantastic series.

Old July 8th, 2007, 8:28 pm
First Year

Hmm, there are loads of minor details, but the problem is many may just be a Red Herring. I think some things that are minor but will relate to the plot may be when dumbledore pleaded with Snape, it is minor because it is only a word or two. But this has caused a large debate and may be highly relevant to the plot;
Snape Good/Bad.

Umm im sure i have read so many small things that could foreshadow huge events but i can't think of any right now.

I'm a spoiler!

Snape is a hero
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerof7 View Post
I don't see Hermione being a Gryffindor as a minor detail at all - if she was in Ravenclaw, Harry and Ron would not have shared classes or a common room with her, they would not have become friends with her, and she would not have been an integral part of Harry Potter's adventures. Hermione being a Gryffindor is central to most of the plotlines through the series.
Yes, but why drill into our heads that Hermione is "the brightest witch in their year," and then inform us that Ravenclaw is in fact where the most clever and academically-inclined are housed? Yes, Hermione is very brave, but I don't feel as though this trumps her cleverness.

The fact that:

1. JK has made Hermione the most clever witch of the year,

AND

2. JK has said that Ravenclaw is where the most clever are housed,

strikes me as extremely odd. I think there may be more going on here.

Mr. Johnson ruined Deathly Hallows for his son, informing him of the truth behind the Sibling Theory.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Fifth Year

Other mimor details: the Weasleys, Diggorys, Lovegoods and Fawcetts all live near each other. Could that be important? Why did Ludo keep showing up late when the death eaters were causing trouble at the World Quiddich match? Was it just hiding from his debtors? Or was he with someone else too?

Can you guess where I am?
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mock_Turtle View Post
Yes, but why drill into our heads that Hermione is "the brightest witch in their year," and then inform us that Ravenclaw is in fact where the most clever and academically-inclined are housed? Yes, Hermione is very brave, but I don't feel as though this trumps her cleverness.

The fact that:

1. JK has made Hermione the most clever witch of the year,

AND

2. JK has said that Ravenclaw is where the most clever are housed,

strikes me as extremely odd. I think there may be more going on here.
Maybe there is a reason why Hermione is in the same house as Harry, i did think of the Sibling Theory but the sorting hat placed Hermione in Gryffindor, maybe Harry stating he didn't want to be in Slytherin changed anything, maybe Dumbledore had a say in it, meaning whatever house Hermione went into Harry would as well.

Im not going to say anymore because it's probably just a coincidence.

I'm a spoiler!

Snape is a hero
Old July 8th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Erm..You all misunderstood. What I was trying to say is that, I think Hermione will do something ridiculously heroic in book 7, to validate the hat`s decision to place her in Gryffindor as opposed to Ravenclaw.

Also, Neville was the last person (or one of the last people) to buy a wand from Ollivander`s. This could be significant too, I think. I don`t know why, I just have a gut feeling that that could be going somewhere too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysfriend View Post
Other mimor details: the Weasleys, Diggorys, Lovegoods and Fawcetts all live near each other. Could that be important?

Do they all live near each other? I didn`t know that. I know the Weasleys live near a muggle village, as Fred (or was it George), who said in OotP that they wanted to impress the girl in the paper shop with their card tricks cos she said they were like 'real' magic? Surely there`s not more than one wizard family in that muggle village.

Old July 8th, 2007, 8:54 pm
First Year

I didn't mean to speak for you, I was simply stating my thoughts on the matter. I hope you're right about Hermione doing something extremely brave in DH.

How do you know that Neville was possibly the last person to get his wand?

Mr. Johnson ruined Deathly Hallows for his son, informing him of the truth behind the Sibling Theory.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 8th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
I didn't mean to speak for you, I was simply stating my thoughts on the matter. I hope you're right about Hermione doing something extremely brave in DH.

Neville didn't get his wand until the summer between OoTP and HBP, due to the one he was using upto then (his fathers) getting smashed in the Ministry of Magic. By then Harry, Ron and Hermione at least had their own, so we can assume that most other people would have also had their own.

E in all three W.O.M.B.A.T.S

I trusted Severus Snape.
Old July 8th, 2007, 9:15 pm
First Year

Now from the special edition cover of DH we see the tattered trio fleeing on a dragon. So where do we see dragons mentioned in every book? Yes on Hogwarts motto: "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus".

Could this be the minor detail that will turn out to be that slap palm on forehead moment? Could the trio have to tickle a sleeping dragon?

The idea came to me when last week people were discussiing their school motto on the radio.

Old July 8th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:

Oh that`s OK.

Well, I was re-reading Half Blood Prince last week, and Neville re-marked (on the train on the way to Hogwarts), that his gran bought him a new wand (to replace the one he broke at MoM fight), and he stated that he was possibly Ollivander`s last customer.

Old July 8th, 2007, 9:37 pm
First Year

I think that there are many minor details that will have millions of readers repeatedly banging their heads against the wall come the 21st. I remember the quote about Neville getting one of the last Ollivander wands, I don't know if it'll be important, but now that Nevill has a proper wand of his own he may show new and better magical abilities. About Hermione being in Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw, I think that like Harry, she asked to be in Gryffindor. Remember, on the train, she said that she wanted to be, and that Ravenclaw was only "all right." That's not to say that she would not have been in Gryffindor anyway. She saved Harry and Ron from the Devi's Snare, and even had they been able to evade it, Harry would still be stuck between the purple and black fire trying to figure out that logic problem. I was so mad when they cut that part from the PS/SS movie!!! But that's a topic for a different thread....

R.I.P Severus Snape, a true hero.

"We sort too soon."
~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Old July 8th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I always thought Fudge's comment at the end of PoA about how Dumbledore should watch out for Snape and that he seems unbalanced was important.
Fudge says that when Snape throwing his hissy fit.

Old July 8th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Second Year

I didn't even bother reading the other posts but I will state this, at the end of the very first book JKR clears up this very idea, Hermione clearly says "books and cleverness" and then something long the lines of, there are things more important. Add two and two people!

She places bravery, nerve and courage aove books and cleverness, which is not what a Ravenclaw would do, who place cleverness above everything else, it's what sums them up as a person, Hermione is more than that, or she wants to be. I think this is what also inspired her slightly different character in the movies, they had to make it clear she was brave, sadly at the cost of Ron. [off topic i know, but had to get it down! ]

Last edited by WildCardDoW; July 8th, 2007 at 10:31 pm.
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I always thought Fudge's comment at the end of PoA about how Dumbledore should watch out for Snape and that he seems unbalanced was important.
Fudge says that when Snape throwing his hissy fit.
I was just reading that part and thought it highly amusing!!! Then again, I laugh at a lot of Harry Potter stuff!!
Perhaps all the minor details that we have never mentioned (if there are any) will be all the things that are important in DH and as somebody said, we'll all be hitting our heads in a 'that was SO obvious' way!!!
About Neville's wand... I think that he may show some more strength now that his wand is truly matched to him and I think he's stronger anyway... that's just a small detail but maybe for another thread.... hmmm I don't know anymore! Just bring out the book and show me all the answers already!!!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies