Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Old July 8th, 2007, 11:51 pm
First Year

Re: Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mock_Turtle View Post

The fact that:

1. JK has made Hermione the most clever witch of the year,

AND

2. JK has said that Ravenclaw is where the most clever are housed,

strikes me as extremely odd. I think there may be more going on here.
As DD said "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Hermione is in Gryffindor because she chooses to do brave things. Hermione is very smart and a hard worker, but what she truly values is being brave and doing the right thing.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods." ~Stephen King
"He'll be famous...there will be books written about Harry - every child in our world will know his name!" ~MM
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
originally posted by Tara_Kedavra
I think Hermione will do something ridiculously heroic in book 7, to validate the hat`s decision to place her in Gryffindor as opposed to Ravenclaw.
I think we may have to see several ridiculously brave actions in book 7. Hermione will have to prove once and for all that she is a Gryffindor and not a Ravenclaw, and so will Percy and Wormtail but proving that their not Slytherins. I'm really eager to see Percy redeem himself, and Wormtail still has that life debt to pay off.

Quote:
originally posted by Tubasrock77
I think that there are many minor details that will have millions of readers repeatedly banging their heads against the wall come the 21st.
I agree. I have a feeling my head will be very sore by the end of DH!

Here's another minor detail I've always wondered about: Ron always jokes about things, and some of them turn out to be right! Therefore when Ron said, "I don't care if my tea leaves spell, Die, Ron, die, " I always get worried. Do you think that may come into play?

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Second Year

I'm going to say this again, to try and dispell the idea that Hermione needs to prove herself, she needs to proove herself no more than Ron does, they both have done brave things.

JKR clears up the very idea that Hermione should be in Ravenclaw when Hermione clearly says "Me? Books and cleverness..." and then something long the lines of, there are more important things. She recognises that bravery and courage is much more important, she has said it. Add two and two people!

The only people doubting her place in Gryffindor are those that haven't been paying attention to the books!

Old July 9th, 2007, 12:40 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbysfriend View Post
Other mimor details: the Weasleys, Diggorys, Lovegoods and Fawcetts all live near each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara_Kedavra View Post

Do they all live near each other? I didn`t know that. I know the Weasleys live near a muggle village, as Fred (or was it George), who said in OotP that they wanted to impress the girl in the paper shop with their card tricks cos she said they were like 'real' magic? Surely there`s not more than one wizard family in that muggle village.
In GoF, when the Weasley's and the Diggory's (plus Harry and Hermione) were waiting for the Portkey, they were wondering if anyone else would be coming. The names Lovegood and Fawcett both came up.

Also, I'm not sure if this is really a minor detail, but I think that the locked chamber in the Department of Mysteries has to come up. The one that Dumbledore said contains love. It didn't play a key plot role in either OoTP or HBP, so it has to have something to do with DH. JK's said that she thinks OoTP is a little long, but there isn't a good place to cut it. If the locked chamber isn't important in DH, she wouldn't have included it in OoTP.

Image made by Kevin Palivec. Malathar's Dragons

Dragons don't like spoilers!
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!. Witty and clever sig images are of course bonus, but not required.
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:54 am
Sixth Year

I'm sure that the locked door will come into play. It's full of Harry's power (i.e. love). Maybe a trip there will reinforce to Harry how important love is, since at the end of HBP he is definately underestimating it.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 9th, 2007, 3:10 am
First Year

Herminione is SMART and BRAVE. She is also loyal. People can have many traits at once. Even good and bad. I think that the Sorting Hat even realizes this and thus its song has evolved along the way thoughout the books. Since choice and unity are themes throughtout the septology-the answer the question as to "why" Hermione or any of the others (Neville-could be a Hufflepuff) were placed in Gryfindor has to do with how they choose, unite AND show courage in the books. People can be two things at once. They can show be brave AND smart. They can also be good----and do bad things. It is what they choose that is important as well as how they use these traits to work together.

Old July 9th, 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

Anyone else remember the throwaway remark about a heavy silver locket in Grimauld Place that none of them could open in OotP?

Any takers on who the locket actually belongs to...?

Old July 9th, 2007, 3:33 am
First Year

What about in the fourth book when the Weasley twins say Bagman ran away from Hogwarts at the end of the third task, just at the time when Voldemort called the Death Eaters to him?

Old July 9th, 2007, 3:44 am
Forum Elephant

As J.K. hardly ever notes unneccessary details, I would have to think you will see the room that couldn't be opened in the MoM (OOTP) and at least one object from the RoR (HBP).

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 9th, 2007, 3:50 am
First Year

Theory's are made around these "thowaway details" but let me tell you some thing, not every single little detail is indicative of a future plot point or plot device. some turn out to be but there are just as many that really are just throwaway details.

There is no truth, there are only inumerable individual beliefs, ideas and perceptions.

I'm advertising my Harry-era, OC, slight AU fanfiction via my sig! Owl me if you're interested!
Old July 9th, 2007, 4:08 am
Second Year

somewhere in SS/PS, harry says that he always feels as though snape is reading his mind which is, of course, true! though u don't learn it until oop.

Old July 9th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I always thought Fudge's comment at the end of PoA about how Dumbledore should watch out for Snape and that he seems unbalanced was important.
Fudge says that when Snape throwing his hissy fit.
Oooh! I never thought of it like that before!

Also, I minor detail I forgot to include before is Snape`s hand twich during the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa. The way that detail is bracketed off makes it stand out even more. Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scifanac View Post
Theory's are made around these "thowaway details" but let me tell you some thing, not every single little detail is indicative of a future plot point or plot device. some turn out to be but there are just as many that really are just throwaway details.

Yes, I realise that, and that`s why i`m specifically asking which of the seemingly minor details could be indicative of future plot points. If all minor details and throwaway remarks were important, it`d be pointless asking the question. Get me?

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:32 pm
Second Year

Ok, here's a good 'un. In GoF, Voldemort says he will give Wormtail the chance to serve him, for which other Death Eaters, would: give their right hands for." Voldemort humour, I love it! [i.e he actually has to give up his hand!]

Remebering from memory there, but still, funny no?

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardDoW View Post
Ok, here's a good 'un. In GoF, Voldemort says he will give Wormtail the chance to serve him, for which other Death Eaters, would: give their right hands for." Voldemort humour, I love it! [i.e he actually has to give up his hand!]

Remebering from memory there, but still, funny no?
Extremely funny I just started re-reading GoF and got to that part. I laughed hysterically knowing what happens at the end already tee hee hee

As for Hermione...she should be in Gryffindor. She's very brave and courageous and wants to do the right thing at all costs. Look at her tattling on Harry's brand spanking new Firebolt to McGonagall in PoA.

And if you are looking at Hermione's house placement and questioning it, the same could be said for Neville too. I also think he's in the appropriate house, but argument could be made that he belongs in Hufflepuff instead. Particularly in the first few books.

Old July 9th, 2007, 10:57 pm
First Year

I won't take credit for noticing this (as others have posted about this on this site), but Dumbledore telling all of the Dursley's the exact location HQ for the OotP. This might be a minor detail, but might be something else.

Another thing that has been posted is that Dobby/Kreacher had the ability to follow Malfoy at Hogwarts. Can/are they still able to follow him?

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Third Year

Haha I just got that right hand one, ewww sill freaks me out

The Evolution! - Check for all the latest news daily!

FantastiX Forum! What do YOU want to talk about?!
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:13 pm
First Year

Neville being in Gryffindor may have a role to play. He hasn't showed much bravery yet, so he might have a big role in DH. Keep in mind, the prophecy could have been meant for him too, but LV chose Harry instead.

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Second Year

Neville has shown bravery, did he, or did he not, continually show up to Snape's classes? A slight bravery, but it's something. He stood up to Crabbe and Goyle, he stood up to Harry, Hermione and Ron and he went to the Ministry.

I think we will see further examples, funny feeling he's due a return!

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLupin View Post
As J.K. hardly ever notes unneccessary details, I would have to think you will see the room that couldn't be opened in the MoM (OOTP) and at least one object from the RoR (HBP).
I agree there will be a few of those things popping up. Right now, though, it's hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. But, that's part of the fun, too, isn't it?

That locked room, though, that's definitely something we'll see again, I bet, along with the locket from Grimmauld Place. (The latter might just be a red herring, but I'm betting it shows up again, regardless.)

RIP Grandma Viv, Maxie, and Devon. We miss you!
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:02 am
First Year

I've always thought that the giant squid is bound to do something by the end. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at least once in every book.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies