Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:14 am
Second Year

Re: Throwaway Remarks and Minor Details...

Given JKR's regular use of hiding a characters true associations or hiding of a characters true goals and personality's in ever book. (Quirell, Sirus, Moody, etc, etc) I'm starting to think that one of the main characters in the books is also playing such a double role. Not being evil, but just hiding their true intentions.

I would put Hermione at the top of this list. In almost every book there is a scene with Hermione knowing something or being asked (behind the scene) by someone (DD) to do something to help Harry. The scene with her showing up on the holidays in OotP after Harry's visit to see Mr. Weasely in the hospital is a prime example.

Out of all the characters, Hermione does and knows alot of things that always make me go hmmmm. Plus presenting a character to us in one light, while the truth is usually the complete oppasite, makes me think there is one more main character who is hiding under this falsehood.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:31 am
First Year

if she does there will be a big sale on ropes after the book is released

then why ask
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:40 am
First Year

It was important for her to be in Gryffindor. Yes she is smart but she was very needed in all of Harry's adventures. Surely if she wasn't in Gryffindor he wouldn't have gotten this far

Old July 10th, 2007, 6:54 am
Sixth Year

I'm pretty sure it's a given that without Hermione, Harry would be long dead. Or failed out of History of Magic long before O.W.L. year. I agree, she is a Gryffindor for a reason, possibly to highlight the choices over abilities theme.

Quote:
originally posted by HPgreyhound
Neville being in Gryffindor may have a role to play. He hasn't showed much bravery yet, so he might have a big role in DH. Keep in mind, the prophecy could have been meant for him too, but LV chose Harry instead.
Neville has shown a great deal of bravery. Just because he's never faced off with Voldemort like Harry doesn't mean he isn't brave. Neville has stood up to the trio, stood up to Malfoy several times, and let's not forget the Ministry of Magic. Neville refused to let Harry talk him out of going and he didn't even really understand what was going on, he didn't even know the truth about Sirius Black! And right before the Order came, Neville could've stayed in the Brain room with the others, but he decided Harry needed him more. He ran in to help Harry even though he couldn't pull off a spell (which he had to have realized by that point) and didn't want Harry to give up the prophecy even when faced with the curse that made his parents go insane. In HBP, Neville was one of the few members of the DA who rushed into the battle.

I agree though, that Neville will have a bigger role in DH. I am eager to see him in action with his new wand. Remember in OotP he broke his dad's wand and now he has his own. Since he got a new one, we haven't really seen him do anything big, other than knowing that he was in the battle at the end of HBP.

gah, what is it now?!? 11 days!!!

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Second Year

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardDoW View Post
Ok, here's a good 'un. In GoF, Voldemort says he will give Wormtail the chance to serve him, for which other Death Eaters, would: give their right hands for." Voldemort humour, I love it! [i.e he actually has to give up his hand!]

Remebering from memory there, but still, funny no?

The same here, I was re-reading GoF a few weeks back and noticed that for the first time

Does anyone else think that Snape`s hand twich during the actual Unbreakable Vow scene with Narcissa was a bit suspect?

I could easily be clutching at straws, but a few friends also think it could be significant.

Old July 10th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Eldest Gruff

You still make sure that this does not come to close to Things That Took Several Readings To Catch v 7.0, do you? Please discuss the importance minor details could have in book seven.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 10th, 2007, 7:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeramus View Post
I've always thought that the giant squid is bound to do something by the end. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at least once in every book.
The Giant Squid may do something in DH, but I don't think it will be significant. In GoF, it's been suggested that it helped Dennis Creevy get back into the boat with Hagrid after he fell into the lake on the journey to the castle on the first night of school.

I think that may be the extent of it's appearance, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara_Kedavra View Post
Does anyone else think that Snape`s hand twich during the actual Unbreakable Vow scene with Narcissa was a bit suspect?
Yes, I do think that this was significant. I think it showed his hesitation in accepting the unbreakable vow. It may also prove to be more significant in DH. We'll soon see...

Old July 11th, 2007, 7:26 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
The Giant Squid may do something in DH, but I don't think it will be significant. In GoF, it's been suggested that it helped Dennis Creevy get back into the boat with Hagrid after he fell into the lake on the journey to the castle on the first night of school.
I don't know. I would be more inclined to wonder about it's involvement if we hadn't already had a battle at Hogwarts. I just don't see what it could do that would be important. It's not like it can leave the lake or that's in a horcrux or something. (haha, could you imagine? ) Maybe it's like Peeves and is just a feature of the grounds.

Quote:
Definately. It's one of the main reasons I think Snape is good! I don't think we will hear mention of the twitch again (it's not like anyone saw it) but I think that it will be one of those clues that is obvious in hindsight.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 11th, 2007, 5:12 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
Given JKR's regular use of hiding a characters true associations or hiding of a characters true goals and personality's in ever book. (Quirell, Sirus, Moody, etc, etc) I'm starting to think that one of the main characters in the books is also playing such a double role. Not being evil, but just hiding their true intentions.

I would put Hermione at the top of this list. In almost every book there is a scene with Hermione knowing something or being asked (behind the scene) by someone (DD) to do something to help Harry. The scene with her showing up on the holidays in OotP after Harry's visit to see Mr. Weasely in the hospital is a prime example.

Out of all the characters, Hermione does and knows alot of things that always make me go hmmmm. Plus presenting a character to us in one light, while the truth is usually the complete oppasite, makes me think there is one more main character who is hiding under this falsehood.
Perhaps this theory could be expounded on a little more? What could those "true intentions" be? What else does she do/know that suggests she may be playing a double-role? What falsehood is Hermione hiding under?

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old July 11th, 2007, 5:44 pm
First Year

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums, but i was wondering where you all had seen the special edition cover art for DH. I've only seen the adult edition (showing the locket) and the childrens edition (showing the trio faliing on gold and jewels).

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great. Also, aplogies as I know this doesn't belong in this thread.

=)

Old July 11th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileithyia View Post
That locked room, though, that's definitely something we'll see again, I bet, along with the locket from Grimmauld Place. (The latter might just be a red herring, but I'm betting it shows up again, regardless.)

Just had a thought about that locket that I can almost guarentee people have mentioned somewhere but anyway...

The locket was mentioned as a side remark during the cleaning of Sirius's house. Well, the locket that Harry sees in the memory at the Gaunts is silver, so is the one of Sirius's, but the one they get from the cave is gold. Its minor details like that that play an important role in the book. The fact that the true horcrux is silver and the fake is gold is meant for us to connect it back to the unopenable locket. Also, it completely coincides with the RAB being Regulus Black-how else would the locket have ended up at 12 Grimmauld Place?

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream."

~ Vincent Van Gogh

Unrequited love is the curse that hurts the most.

I am a proud Potter addict.
Old July 11th, 2007, 7:18 pm
Third Year

Yes, there is the locket...
That got me to thinking, Lockhart. Nothing special about the prof. himself, but it got me to remembering the "Droobles best blowing gum" thing which had a hidden message which hasn't taken part in anything yet - that's almost certainly going to have something to do with something.

Neville is the centre of all of this yet again. Neville received tonnes of these wrappers from his parents and couldn't work out what it was. We know there is an annagram in there and also that Neville's rememberall (as far as I remember) didn't remind him of what he forgot - so we now have two mysteries surrounding Neville.
Has Neville done enough to warrant being a Gryffindor? we know Ron in the first book was in the chess-set, in the second book he went into Aragog's lair with Harry despite his apparant fear of spiders, he has been on all Harry's adventures (give or take) while Hermione has also been in most of his adventures. Harry himself is definately a Gryffindor. Now that only leaves Dean who is a background character. But don't let us forget that JKR was originally going to have Dean with his own sub-plot of a muggle father and witch mother, or was it the other way round? either way, he hasn't shown that much aptitude in my opinion to be a real Gryffindor. Meanwhile Seamus seems like he should be a bit of a Slytherin to me, I would like to hear people's views on that. Neville has stood up to his friends in book one, he has not done all that much else as far as I remember until book 5. So maybe we need one last defining point from Neville - if he remembers what he forgot and uses it well it would put his half-squib, stuttering, hopeless reputation the boot forever. I think because of this he will die, because he has been almost destroyed by so many people and the person who arguably has been the kindest to him was Barty Jr. who tortured his parents and destroyed his life in the first place. Don't forget, Neville could have been in the prophecy. He is like a mirror image of Harry if Harry's parents wound up differently and he had not received magical excellence from Voldemort.
The rememberall would point toward a memory charm in my opinion. They could be thrown off - don't forget Lockhart popped up at the same time as Neville meets his parents which could have been a suttle prod in the right direction to get our minds working towards memory charms, just an opinion but I haven't seen anything to contradict it properly over the last year or so.

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:02 pm
First Year

Does anybody think that the portrait in dumbeldores office with the same last name as Florean Fortescue is important. It was mentioned at the beginning of HBP that fortescue vanished and we hear of the portrait Fortescue twice. He is mentioned by name in OOTP and and in HBP is described to be using a listening device to hear about dumbeldore talking to Harry about Horucrux's

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Second Year

Wasn`t the Fortescue who went missing an Ice Cream vendor? I wonder why he`d have a portrait in Hogwarts.

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:17 pm
First Year

Perhaps that Fortescue is an ancestor of his.

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:26 pm
Second Year

Possibly. It could also explain why the Death Eaters would want to persue an Ice Cream vendor in the first place.

Old July 11th, 2007, 8:34 pm
First Year

i remember one detail, in TOoP when Uncle Vernos catch harry, he take a "shock" and during the Oclumency class snape is too take a "shock"
they both have to let go harry

** i dont know if the shock is the right word - i dont have my book here.

Old July 11th, 2007, 9:16 pm
Second Year

The medal of magical merrit will be important.

I wouldn´t look for clues in Philosopher´s stone, because I don´t think JKR had the series in mind when she wrote the first book.

Old July 11th, 2007, 9:37 pm
First Year

The mention of Regulus Black was a very small affair, it only got a few paragraphs. But with the note sugned RAB, it could be really important (and hopefully is).

Also lots of characters are mentioned earlier on before they are introduced into the main plot. Luna's surname was mentioned in GoF, when Mr Weasley is talking to Amos Diggory about who was also going to the Quidditch World Cup. Rufus Scrimgeour is mentioned in OotP by Tonks just before Harry leaves for his hearing at the ministry. Mundungus is also metioned before we meet him; I think it's when Dumbledore asks Sirius to contact the 'old crowd' in GoF.

JKR does a fantastic job putting in all these details that we don't think are relevant until later on in the series.

You will be DELETED!!!!

Last edited by adam_the_ant; July 11th, 2007 at 9:40 pm.
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Mundungus is actually mentioned very very early in the series by the Weasleys IIRC, can't remember the book but I remember Mr. Weasley mentioning Mundungus and saying: " he tried to hex me when my back was turned" [from memory so innacurate, but it's there one of the first four books I think, most likely CoS]. So, yeah!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies