Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Voldemort Created The Room Of Requirement.

Old July 10th, 2007, 7:22 pm
First Year

Voldemort Created The Room Of Requirement.

I urge readers to think twice before proceeding. As a wise man once said: " Curiosity isn't a sin, but we should exercise caution with our curiosity". It's a long read, but I promise it will be worth it.

Now let's begin at the beginning. The passage that led to the big bang in my head. The starting place and also the corner stone of my theory. It was the chapter in CoS, where Riddle goes to Dippet, asking him if he could stay at Hogwarts. Especially this passage:

Quote:
Chambers of Secret, The Very Secret Diary, P.182

"The thing is, Tom" he sighed, "Special arrangements might have been made for you, but in the current circumstances..."

Riddle's eyes had widened. "Sir- if the person was caught...if it all stopped.."
This is what made my things click in my head. We all know how it all ended. Hagrid was framed and Hogwarts remained open. Riddle imprisoned the basilisk in his chambers, until the moment he would be let loose again. Rowling never let us know what happened to Riddle’s request. She didn't because she would have given away a big clue.

Riddle remained during the holidays at Hogwarts.
I am certain Dippet decided Riddle could stay at Hogwarts. There are many indicators for it. Tom Riddle was a most promising and a brilliant student, as we have learned from many sources. Teachers liked him, clamoured to help him.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, A Sluggish Memory, P.337

"As an unusually talented and very good looking orphan, he natural drew attention from the staff almost from the moment of his arrival. He seemed polite, quite and thirsty for knowledge. Nearly all were most favourable impressed by him."
and:

Quote:

The thing is, Tom," he sighed " Special arrangements might have been made for you, but in the current circumstances...
Last but not least:

Quote:
Half blood Prince, Lord Voldemort's Request, P.405

"So Voldemort went off to to Borgin and Burkes, and all the staff who had admired him said what a waste it was, a brilliant young wizard like that, working in a shop"
This is another indication of how much the teachers believed he would do great things with his life. He did, only not like they envisioned it. That they were following his progress after him graduating, proves they cared about his persona, talent and career.

The relation Riddle shares with Dippet reminds me of Dumbledore and Harry relationship. The only difference is that Dumbledore and Harry relationship is genuine and giving both ways, Dippet/Riddle is not. It's obvious Riddle is using Dippet, using the old Headmaster fondness for his own gain.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Lord Voldemort Request, P.404

"I had advised Armando against the appointment- I did not give the reasons I have given you, for professor Dippet was very fond of Voldemort and convinced of his honesty."
Another passage witch I use to point out that Dippet did let him stay at Hogwarts. If Dumbledore did not intervened he would've probably given him the DADA job. That Dippet gave Riddle a prestigious award, and the Head Boy badge, only supports it further.

I think I have shown enough reasons why we can assume Riddle was granted his wish, to stay at Hogwarts. Now we can continue.

Why did Tom Riddle want to stay at Hogwarts?

Quote:

No" Riddle said at once, "I much rather stay at Hogwarts than go back to that- to that-" "You live in a Muggle orphanage during the holiday I believe?" said Dippet curiously.

I don't believe this is the real reason. We are talking about someone who didn't hesitate to free a murderous Basilisk in the school, witch ultimately resulted in the death of a student. Furthermore, he didn't even care that when framing Hagrid, he was destroying a innocent man's life. All this, gives me the idea that Riddle did not care, the way Dippet thought, that if he were to stay a couple holidays at the Muggle Orphanage.

An orphanage that he terrorised from a young age, now as an adult there is not much that the orphanage would dared to do to control him or order him around. His real reason behind the request I will answer later on.

Why did Tom Riddle visit the Gaunts?

Quote:

"You are Muggle-born?" "Half blood, sir" Said Riddle Muggle father, witch mother. "And are both your parents-?" My mother died just after I was born, sir. They told me at the orphanage she lived long enough to name: Tom after my father, Marvolo after my grandfather."
This another a pivotal moment in the books, because this shows us that Riddle has found out about his lineage and his family background. He knew he was named after his Grandfather, which meant he knew who his mother was and where she use to live.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, The Secret Riddle, P.257

My mother can't have been magic, or she wouldn't have died" said Riddle more to himself than Dumbledore, his voice gentle.
I think young Riddle always saw his mother, as a woman who died out of love her son. A mother that protected him safely in her womb while enduring hardship, all out of live for her son, and ultimately died of it.

It must have been a blow to him, than everything that he envisioned was false. That his mother died because of the love she felt for his father, his muggle sire. Which led to his hate for Muggles. Also when he found out that his mother, who was a witch, could have saved herself from her death by magic. Was, what I believe, the spark that ignited his search for immortality. This is where his quest began.

Quote:
Half blood Prince, Horcruxes, P.464

It's natural to feel some curiosity about these things wizards of a certain calibre have always been drawn to that aspect of magic..."

"No....well....you'd be hard pushed to find a book at Hogwarts that'll give you details on Horcruxes, Tom."
Slughorn was right when he said that. He perused the Libary, and found nothing except the word Horcruxes Like.....

Quote:
Half blood Prince, Birthday Surprises, P.357

"I haven't found one single explanation of what Horcruxes do!" she told him " Not a single one! I've been right through the restricted section and even in the most horrible books...........All I could find was this, in the introduction to Magick Moste Evile -listen- " of the Horcrux, wickedest of magical inventions, we shall not speak nor give direction"
Riddle and Hermione both share a thirst for knowledge, and usually quench that thirst in the Library. Riddle, like Hermione did after him, hit a wall. And decided to get his information in a different manner. That's why he went to the Gaunts.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Hogwarts library had failed Hermione for the first time in living memory. She was so shocked.
OT, I always found this passage very amusing.[yes] Returning to the topic again;

Quote:
Halfblood Prince, A Sluggish Memory, P.341

He moved forward into the room, allowing the door to swing shut down behind him. Harry could not help but feel a resentful admiration for Voldemort's complete lack of fear. His face merely expressed disgust and, perhaps, disappointment.
When Riddle went to the Gaunts. He expected them to be a prestigious wizarding family, living in a great mansion. He was so sure, because they were Slytherin's heirs. Their pride wouldn't have suffered anything less than the best. Slytherin is one of the greatest wizard that has ever lived, and their lineage is old and pure blood. This explains even more why Riddle was so disappointed when he entered Morphine’s quarter.

What did Tom Riddle want with Marvolo Gaunt?
After his search for a explanation, of Horcrux, in the Library of Hogwarts was futile. He took another approach. As I said, Riddle had envisioned the Gaunts to be a prestigious, old pureblooded family, and everything that came with it(Mansion, Library etc) He also believed, that since they were heirs of Slytherin, they must have a love and practise the dark arts like him.

That's the real reason for his visit to the Gaunts. He wanted to ask Marvolo about the Horcruxes. Perhaps it was knowledge that he would not get the answers he was looking for, saw what became of the Slytherin lineage and Morphins words about his mother, and perhaps even through Legillemence saw the pain he caused her. May be the reason why he framed him.

Tom Riddle visit to the Riddle mansion
As we all know it resulted in the death Of the Riddle Family, and the imprisonment of Morphin gaunt. That was a pivotal moment in the life of Tom Riddle. His transition from Tom Riddle into Voldemort you might say.

This was the first time he ever used the AK curse, and as we know the first time can be hard on someone. Tom Riddle left the Riddle mansion forever changed, with his soul troubled. But explaining it he could not.

I think he knew what the consequences were if one were to choose to use the killing curse. But the consequences, of killing his own kin, I don't think he knew.

Tom Riddle begin his Sixth Year at Hogwarts.
Riddle began this year with a new ring around his finger. The Slytherin ring, a souvenirs from his quest, like the tears he was feeling in his soul. Riddle used this year to prepare himself for the questioning of Slughorn, like Harry did.

Perhaps that was the main reason why Riddle joined the Slug club. All year he kept flattering Slughorn and showering him with gifts. Until the moment came for him to final get the answers he's been longing for. As we all know he cornered Slughorn and, due to fondness, learned about the Horcruxes and more.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Horcruxes, P.465

“Well you split your soul, you see” said Slughorn, “ and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one’s body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged.
Finally he unlocked the truth about the Horcruxes and with that the path to immortality.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Horcruxes, P.465

“By an act evil – the supreme act of evil. By committing murder. Killing rips the soul apart. The wizard intent upon creating a Horcrux would use the damage to his advantage”
He finally understood why his soul felt unsettled, and the reason for it. That, without Slughorn knowing, has already fulfilled some of the terms needed for creating a Horcrux, when he killed the Riddle family.

After that I think the relationship between Slughorn and Riddle cooled down, because Riddle had no use for him any more. Slughorn hands was tied, in his eagerness to please Riddle, he had broken moral codes and school rules. If he had told someone what he did, he would have lost his job. Instead he kept quite, hoping Riddle would do nothing with the information.

But as we all know life turned out different. Riddle became the darkest wizard that has ever lived. And Slughorn had a large hand in him become that wizard, and with that all the lives that was lost through his campaign. Another reason why he tampered with his memory, he was ashamed of his role in that.

Tom Riddle enters in his last year at Hogwarts
This was his last year, the NEWT years. Riddle was a brilliant student, and did not need all his time to study for these exams. I think most of his time went into creating the Horcruxes. In his Sixth Year he learned what was needed to make one, now he had to train himself to indeed create one.

Making a Horcrux is very hard, because you have to tear a part of your soul. If you have succeeded in that, it will be smooth sailing from there. Tom Riddle did not make one Horcrux in that year- but three. That's is why he came to seven. His soul was already torn in three pieces, after he killed the Riddles, and decided to go for the powerful seven. Also he used his last year, forming his Death Eaters and his muggle hate campaign.
Though it became his last year, I don't think Riddle was planning on leaving. He made plans for himself, so that he could stay.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Lord Voldemort Request, P.404

I did not want Lord Voldemort back at this school, and especially not in a position of power.
Due to Dumbledore interference he had to.

What were the Horcruxes Riddle made in Hogwarts?Two of the Three Horcuxes Riddle made in Hogwarts is already known: The Slytherin Ring and the Diary. The third one is Hogwarts, though I have to be more precise. I think he left a part of him in Hogwarts, in a room. Are you beginning to see where I'm headed.

Riddle only uses items that mean a great deal to him, the thing that he cares most about in the world is Hogwarts. It would be only fitting that he would choose Hogwarts, or a part of it, as one of those items.

The room Riddle chose to place his soul became the Room of Requirement as we know it now.

The nature of the Room of Requirement.
The nature of the Room of Requirement is interesting to investigate. That it only shows itself when you need it. It's brilliant. Because when we need something we usually never ask why or how, but only want to do whatever to answer that need. It reminds me of how spider entraps their victims with their web. Even the best has fallen into it.

Quote:
Goblet of Fire, The Yule Ball, P.363

“Only this morning for instance, I took a wrong turning on the way to the bathroom and found myself in a beautifully proportioned room I have never seen before, containing a really rather magnificent collection of chamber pots.“
Even the great Dumbledore used the Room of requirement, but due to his need to relieve himself, did not ask himself why the room is there.

Quote:
Goblet of Fire, The Yule Ball, P.363

When I went back to investigate more closely, I discovered that the room vanished.
But afterwards he did and when he went to investigate he found it disappeared. This nature is the Room of Requirement's protection.

As I said before I found this nature very interesting and suddenly things start to click. Because we have seen this behaviour before. That a need was fulfilled by someone, who later turned out to be a threat, a Horcrux. I am referring to Ginny and her abduction by the Diary, it's Horcrux brother.

Quote:
Chambers of Secret, The Heir of Slytherin, P.239

I’ve been writing in it, and he’s been w-writing back all year-“
As we all know Ginny was lonely, insecure and vulnerable. She had a need for friendship, a need to be consoled, a need to be understood and helped. Needs which made her vulnerable and a easy prey.

Quote:
Chamber of Secret, The Heir of Slytherin, P.228

“The diary” said Riddle. “My diary. Little Ginny’s been writing in it for months and months, telling me all her pitiful worries and woes: how her brothers tease her ……………..It’s very boring , having to listen to the silly little troubles of an eleven – year – old girl” he went on. “ But I was patient I wrote back, I was sympathetic, I was kind. Ginny simply loved me. “No one’s ever understood me like you Tom…I’m so glad I’ve got this diary to confide in…it’s like having a friend I can carry around in my pocket”

Riddle’s words, gives us a glimpse in how the Diary went to work. And how much it resembles the Room of Requirement.. That he fulfilled her need to gain her trust and then started to control her. It was Ginny's need for a friend witch led her to almost dieing.

Quote:
Chambers of Secret, The heir of Slytherin, P.228

“If I say it myself, Harry, I’ve always been able to charm the people I needed. So Ginny poured out her soul to me, and her soul happened to be exactly what I wanted. I grew stronger and stronger on a diet on her deepest fears, her darkest secrets.

The way Ginny spoke about her abduction is the same fashion in which Hogwarts finds himself, or more precisely the room that Riddle turned into a Horcrux. Could the RoR benefiting from people using it? Perhaps it’s feeding itself with the magic of the person using it. Like the Diary did with Ginny.

How a ordinary room became the Room of Requirement.
After Riddle turned the room in a Horcrux, it started to weave itself with the magical essence of the castle. It started slowly and with caution, not to draw attention to him. It was more than fifty years since Riddle left the castle, which could have given the Horcrux a lot of time to collect power. However I don't think it used it's power, until that year Harry entered Hogwarts. There never was a Room of Requirement before Harry enrolment. I have passages that support this claim.

Quote:
Order of the Phoenix, Educational Degree Number Twenty-Four, P.331

“So,” said Sirius “ How are you organizing this group? Where are you meeting?” “Well that’s a bit of a problem now” said Harry “Dunno where going to be able to go.”…….” Fair point,” said Sirius, looking slightly crestfallen. “Well, I’m sure you’re come up with somewhere”
We never heard about this room from the Marauders, who discovered every part of the castle while they were at Hogwarts. Sirius would have certainly shared this information with his godson. He shared the map, the secret passageways etc, he would certainly this infromation if he knew.

Quote:
Order of the Phoenix, Dumbledore's Army, P.344

"This room isn't just some mad idea of Dobby's; Dumbledore knows about it, too, he mentioned it to me at the Yule Ball." Hermione expression cleared. " Dumbledore told you about it?" Just in passing said Harry shrugging "Oh, well then it's all right then." Said Hermione briskly and raised nor more objections
Another strong indication for me. Because with every thing new Hermione or the trio discoveres in the castle she would look it up Hogwarts: A History (Which means that it wasn't build by the founders.) or the library for information and afterwards refer to it in her conversation with her friends. Never have we heard her say anything about reading about the RoR somewhere, or give an explanation.

I found it odd. Normally Hermione would look up some information about something before using it. Because they're going to break school rules, they at least she would make sure they wouldn't be in for suprises.

Instead she is surprised like everyone else, the first time she entered it.

Harry presence created the Room of Requirement.
I think all these years after Riddle departure and downfall. The room remained at Hogwarts dormant like a Basilisk. Waiting to be freed, waiting to be united with it's master. Then suddenly everything started to change when Harry entered Hogwarts. The room came into motion and shed it’s old skin of silence. Why did it came out of it's dormant when it's master was still less than the meanest ghost. The reason I think is this.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Spinner’s End, P.35,36

I should remind you, that when Potter arrived at Hogwarts there were still many stories circulating about him, rumours that he himself was a great Dark wizard, which was how he had survived the Dark Lord’s attack. Indeed, many of the Dark Lord’s old followers thought Potter might be a standard around which we could all rally around once more.
Though Snape based his ideas solely on Harry performance as a baby. The Horcrux room did indeed had more proof to believe it's master returned. The reason for it is- Voldemort's essence that was left in Harry as a baby. But later on, like Snape, it realised it wasn't Voldemort. Because it's real master did return, trying to capture Flamel's stone and kill Harry in the process. But as we know Voldemort failed and returned back to being a spirit.

This encounter is what made the room turn itself into the Room of Requirement. It came to the conclusion that if it didn’t want to suffer the same fate as it master, it had to protect itself, cloak itself. It started to create undercover role for itself in Hogwarts. As we know the Room of Requirement fits perfectly in the world of Hogwarts, nobody would even suspect it.

The Horcrux turned the RoR in such a construction that it would be very hard to enter the Horcrux room. What I mean is, remember Matrix Reloaded, how every turn of the key it opened a different room. That is the same way the Room of Requirement works. Making people think out what they want, so that they could tailor the room accordance. It has become the shield of the Horcux, it’s protection.

I think only when Harry stands in front of the Room of Requirement, with the Horcux room deeply in his thoughts, it will finally show the correct room.

The real reason behind Voldemort's request.
Quote:
Halfblood, Lord Voldemort Request, P.404

The castle is a stronghold of ancient magic. Undoubtedly Voldemort had penetrated many more of it’s secrets than most of the students who pass through the place, but he may felt that there were still mysteries to unravel, stores of magic to tap.
Dumbledore explanation is sound. While at Hogwarts he already uncovered the mystery behind his lineage and the Chambers of Secret on his one, where many people, even Dumbledore, failed. He discovered the secrets behind the Horcruxes. Created a Horcrux so that he could penetrate the ancient magic of the castle . He then began tapping it and storing the magic in the Room of Requirement. And this went on many years while he was gone.

All that time he was never concerned with the safety of his Horcrux. I don't think Voldemort returned to Hogwarts for the DADA position. I don't think he would be against it if it were given to him, as Dumbledore pointed out the advantages. But Voldemort already knew the answer before setting a foot in Dumbledore's office. Like with his request to Dippet, Voldemort had a different motive.

He feared Dumbledore, with his wisdom and power, would discover the Horcrux and destroy it. That is why he asked for the DADA position, because during his stay he could protect his treasure. But things did not turned out the way he wanted.

The curse on the DADA position.
Voldemort came to Dumbledore with the request, if he could become the DADA teacher. As we know Dumbledore denied his request, and since then there is a some sort curse on the DADA position. Many believe it was Voldemort who was responsible for this. He is, but not as you might think. I think this was the doing of one it's Horcrux. The Horcrux he left at Hogwarts.

Quote:
Halfblood Prince, Lord Voldemort Request, P.417

For a second, Hary was on the verge of shouting a pointless warning: he was sure that Voldemort hand had twitched toward his pocket and wand; but then the had passed, Voldmort had turned away, the door was closing and he was gone.
Voldemort was denied his request, and offended by Dumbledore words. His anger rising, his magic close to the surface almost breaking out. But Voldemort did not do anything and left.

This is what I think then happened. Through the connection the Horcrux room shared with Hogwarts and Voldemort, it felt what was going on with it's master. It felt it's anger and understood his wish, that he himself could not fulfil. This is where the Horcux came in and took over and answered his burning wish. With his grown magical power it cast some kind of curse over the position. I think over the years, as the room grew in power, it only strengthened it. Or perhaps he willed the Horcrux to take action, and when he sensed he succeeded he calmed down and left.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Lord Voldemort Request, P.418

"The aftermath of our little meeting proved that. You see, we have never been able to keep a Defence Against the Dark Arts for longer than a year since I refused the post to Lord Voldemort.
Even Dumbledore acknowledge that moment was a pivotal factor in what happened to the DADA position.

Why did Hogwarts not resist the Horcrux?
This has a simple answer. The castle is embedded with the essence of the founders magic. Riddle is the heir of Slytherin, the blood of Salazar Slytherin flows through his veins. That means the castle did not see it as a threat since it was caring some of the magical essences of it's builder.

What kind of effect does the Horcrux have on Hogwarts?
I see the Horcrux as a cancer, which is slowly but surely devouring Hogwarts from the inside. Slowly infusing with it’s magic. It could have made the castle magic, explosive, unstable, ready to burst. The Horcrux influence could be that the castle’s magic is becoming darker, abd effectig it surroundings

Quote:
Chambers of Secret, The Whomping Willow, P.60

The car, however, had reached the end of it’s tether. With two smart clunks, the door flew open and Harry felt his seat tip sideways: next thing he knew he was sprawled on the damp ground. Loud thuds told him that the car was ejecting their luggage from the boot. ………Then, the car rumbled off into the darkness, it’s rear lights blazing angrily.
A muggle car suddenly comes to life when it enters the magical realm of Hogwarts. As we know something that thinks for itself usually involves Dark magic. Furthermore, the car became hostile towards it's occupants. All this, I believe, is the result of the influence the Horcrux has begun to have on Hogwarts. Perhaps it could also explain why it fled into the forrest, to escape the Horcrux corrupting influence.

Quote:
Chambers of Secret, Aragog, P.207

Harry gave the car a grateful pat as it reversed back into the forrest and disappeared from view.
The car came to Harry and Ron's aid and ultimately saved their lives. It's behavior was normal, docile like a dog. It listened to it's occupants wishes. The car saved them from being eaten by ther spiders, and brought them savely home. But, like animals can, he sensed the danger of the dark presence again of the Horcrux on Hogwarts, and escaped again into the safe forrest.

Something of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor.

Quote:
Half Blood Prince, Horcruxes, P.474

“You think there might be a Horcrux that one was once Ravenclaw’s or Gryffindor’s?” “An admirable succinct and accurate summary, yes” said Dumbledore, bowing his head.
The castle belongs to Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. He killed two birds with one stone.

What does this mean for Deathly Hallows?
Could it be I accidentally stumbled on a twist? Perhaps Voldemort will win the battle at Hogwarts, and claim the castle. The more I think of the more it sounds right. It would be only fitting for Voldemort, to capture Hogwarts once in his life. If this is true, it would mean that Hogwarts would become his headquarters. Then the last confrontation between Harry and Voldemort will be inside Hogwarts, the place they both love the most. More precisely in the RoR.

Also, I think Half-Blood Prince potion book will return. Harry left it in the RoR. Perhaps Snape left him a advice or a spell for him to use to fight Voldemort.

Conclusion.
Tom Riddle thought himself to be the only person who could rightfully call himself the heir of Slytherin. He framed Morphin, because he was a disgrace to their lineage. Riddle did not have parents to look up to. Instead he looked up to the only family member he knew – Salazar Slytherin. He looked up to him and tried to mould himself in his reflection, tried emulate him.

That’s why my Room of Requirement theory makes sense. Because like Salazar Slytherin, when he departed. Riddle left something of himself behind at Hogwarts, before leaving Hogwarts.

[green]Me, Fail English. That's unpossible!
-Gregory Goyle.[/green]

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:02 am
Second Year

Re: Voldemort Created The Room Of Requirement.

I admit it is a good theory, but

1. It makes one wonder why he hasn't had somone else sneek in and use it before draco. or even the first war.

2. Salazar would have had an easier time creating an underground lair, that Voldy would making that room. As the CoS is nothing special except for the need to use parlsetounge to open it. As in building the castle itself somoen had to be put in charge of creating the foundation and Salazar could have added it then without anyone really knowing much. Actually I wonder how even the secret of the CoS got out, I can't imagine old Sal telling anyone.

3. Voldy would have had to have made a room that has anything and EVERYTHING in it. I imagine even if he did make it, it would have taken a very long time to create and not a simple flick of the wand. There would have been many good chances people would have passed him and wondered what it was he was doing shooting a spell at a wall while chanting some long unknown words.

Not to say I don't like the whole idea of it

Last edited by Ghaleonx5z; July 11th, 2007 at 12:09 am.
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:06 am
First Year

Excellent post, but I don't think so.

Hogwarts is very old, a lot older that Voldy and I don't think you can just 'add' a room. I believe that the room has always been there and Voldy, like many others, came across it one day.

Old July 11th, 2007, 2:41 am
Third Year

So all the stuff is just there to make it look as if it is older than it really is? Why bother? Why not just use Slytherin's trick of only letting the room respond to Parseltongue? That would keep out squatters. When Voldemort left Hogwarts he probably thought he was the last of the Parseltongues.

Why make the room so helpful? The more useful it became, the more people would speak of it, the more who would look for it, and the more who owould find it. The more who found it, the greater danger for the horcrux.

It seems to me that JKR has gone out of her way to impress upon us that the room is full of so many things precisely because it is so old, and countless students have had access to it.

Old July 11th, 2007, 2:43 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Impressive theory, and well researched, but I don't buy it--I have a hard time thinking that a room could be made into a horcrux, especially a room that could be accessed by anyone who needed "something." Considering the security precautions that Voldemort put on the ring and the locket, the idea of a room that allowed free entry to any needy soul, even a squib like Filch or a nonhuman like Dobby and Winky, being a horcrux seems far-fetched. Now, if you wish to propose that Voldemort HID a horcrux in the Room of Requirement, I could certainly go along with that.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old July 11th, 2007, 2:52 am
Third Year

I think one of the four founders created the room. I always viewed it as the ultimate multipurpose room. I do believe he knew about it and may have hid a horcrux there.

It's funny how when Harry hides the Potions book, specific items he sees are mentioned.

Old July 11th, 2007, 3:05 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
I think one of the four founders created the room. I always viewed it as the ultimate multipurpose room. I do believe he knew about it and may have hid a horcrux there.

It's funny how when Harry hides the Potions book, specific items he sees are mentioned.
My thoughts exactly.
This theory is well thought out and researched, but I don't think Voldemort himself built the room. However I believe a Horcrux is hidden in there, and that it was one of the objects Harry saw while hiding his potions book.
Pretty much I completely agree with the above poster

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:09 am
Third Year

I have a question on the room. It was said that Trelawney had been using the room for years (to hide stuffs and she mentioned that she was never chased out before) but DD does not seem to know about the room (he was surprised that a room magically full of chamberpots). Does that meant that Trelawney actually spent time exploring Hogwarts more than DD? How did Trelawney knows about the room when even DD does not.

Old July 11th, 2007, 3:09 am
Third Year

You didn't need to use parseltongue to enter the RoR. Draco didn't, and as far as others knowing about it, Prof Trelawney said she didn't realize any students knew about it ( she had been tossing her used cooking sherry bottles in there).

When DD mentioned the room with all the chamber pots, I think he was just joking around. IMHO.

FGM

Old July 11th, 2007, 3:34 am
Fifth Year

I don't think that he created this room anymore than he created the Chamber of Secrets. It was there, and he may have used it, but he did not make it.

Can you guess where I am?
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:51 am
Sixth Year

Not possible. There are generations, hundreds of years of stuff in the Hiding Room.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old July 11th, 2007, 9:08 am
Sixth Year

I think not. As said above, it would have been too dangerous as it can be exposed to so many people too easily.

Also, as a Horcrux, it would have been giving off the traces of its evil magic, something I don't believe Dumbledore would not have sensed in all these years.

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:47 am
Suteki da ne

I can't believe that he made it. I have read your theory, and it is a very good one but I think that the Room of Requirement has been in the school since it was built

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:30 pm
First Year

No way. There are lots of things that generations of student have hidden in there. It has always existed. Perhaps Harry and Sirius had already talked about the room. Not every conversation they have is recorded.

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Fourth Year

Sounds interesting, but as said by others I'm sure Room of requirements precedes Tom Riddle's Hogwarts years.

Also, he made the Ring a horcrux in the Gaunt house, as there is where Dumbledore found it. I think the diary may have been his Hogwarts horcrux (would Moaning Murtle's soul be in there?) and I agree his request to be a DADA teacher was really about horcruxes.

Old August 8th, 2007, 6:59 pm
First Year

Alright. good Theory. But I dont think so. When Harry went in there to find somewhere to hide his potions book there were millions of items stashed in there from students of previous years. Voldemort used it but he didnt make it. He thinks he discovered a room in Hogwarts no one else has ever seen. All the items Harry descirbed should have been a clue.
anyway how could he have made that kind of a room in the time he was making his horcruxes. That room has to be some crazy magic to have whatever you need in it whenever you need it.

Old August 9th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Third Year

That is a really well thought through and researched theory. Like everyone else in this thread I just dont believe Tom would have been able to make the RoR. Also like many other people, I think Tom maybe hid the Horcrux in there though.

One question though...

Quote:
Quote:

"The thing is, Tom" he sighed, "Special arrangements might have been made for you, but in the current circumstances..."

Riddle's eyes had widened. "Sir- if the person was caught...if it all stopped.."

This is what made my things click in my head.
... how did this start everything off with the RoR being a Horcruxe and stuff, it's pretty random

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 9th, 2007, 2:49 pm
First Year

Well I dont think he created the RoR

And, Sirius did not share the map with Harry, he got it from Fred and George.

Old August 9th, 2007, 2:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhristian View Post
Well I dont think he created the RoR

And, Sirius did not share the map with Harry, he got it from Fred and George.
Yh but I think he meant that Sirius wrote the map, meaning that he would have known about every single room and passage in Hogwarts. Saying that Sirius would have been able to tell Harry about it when Harry was asking for help.
I dont think the Maruaders knew about the room though, because it was never on the map. The map isnt a map of Hogwarts, it's a map of what four students think is a map of Hogwarts. The RoR never came up in the map at all.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:37 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoRetla View Post
Not possible. There are generations, hundreds of years of stuff in the Hiding Room.
I agree There is no way that in the years between LV and Harry being at Hogwarts, that many students hid things in there!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives