Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8th, 2011, 3:25 pm
Mrs Grawp

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
From the Why was Peter in Gryffindor thread in the Stone Forum

I think Neville was extremely brave from the word go. JMO. I think he was as brave as Harry even in his first year. He is a frightened boy who is scared of many things and people, but I think he was very courageous too, because he stood up to Harry, Hermione and Ron to do the right thing even though it scared him to do it. That I think is true courage - not to be unafraid at all, but to go ahead to do the right thing despite the fear inside oneself. That I think Neville did - every time IMO.

In PS/SS

1) Neville joins Ron to fight Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle when they make rude comments about Harry in the Quidditch game - Gryffindor against Hufflepuff. (PS/SS - Nicholas Flamel chapter)

2) In PS/SS -
PS/SS - The Forbidden ForestHarry caught Neville's eye and tried to tell him without words that this wasn't true, because Neville was looking stunned and hurt. Poor, blundering Neville - Harry knew what it must have cost him to try and find them in the dark, to warn them

3) IN PS/SS again, Neville stopped the Trio from leaving the Common Room because they would get into trouble. He stands in awe of Harry and Hermione, but it still does not stop him from the right thing because he is scared, nervous or anything. I think Neville is by far one of the most courageous characters in the HP series, coming from such a disadvantageous home as he did, as it were IMO. (PS/SS - Through the Trapdoor)
I agree with all this. And not to forget that it was Neville who won the 10 decisive points for Gryffindor in PS so they got the House Cup, for standing up against his friends.

To throw in a random Game of Thrones quote: Can someone be brave when they are afraid? That's the only time they can be brave.

It's not brave to be bold and daring, it's brave to do stuff even being scared, and that's what Neville does right from the first book on. He just doesn't show off

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods
I think Neville was extremely brave from the word go. JMO. I think he was as brave as Harry even in his first year. He is a frightened boy who is scared of many things and people, but I think he was very courageous too, because he stood up to Harry, Hermione and Ron to do the right thing even though it scared him to do it. That I think is true courage - not to be unafraid at all, but to go ahead to do the right thing despite the fear inside oneself. That I think Neville did - every time IMO.
I agree completely with your analysis. I think Neville's early character is sometimes neglected and reduced by readers because we are reminded of and continuously presented with his fear, diffidence, forgetfulness, and trials. Although we do see these elements in Neville, I agree that through all of them his bravery is evident. Despite bullying and a lack of confidence, Neville acts on his own sense of courage, which is the true core of his character (and, hence, why he was Sorted into Gryffindor).

As you and guad say, true bravery is sometimes most evident when one must not only face the task at hand, but also face one's fears and self-doubt. Neville seems to consider himself in the early books as a failure and unworthy, but we still see tremendous acts of bravery pushing through that self-neglect. For me, he is battling himself as well as his outward foe, and to confront both of those adversaries at once is beyond brave. What is more, he also does not seem to realize that what he is doing on those occasions is courageous or chivalrous. Bravery is so ingrained in his core morals that he does not seem to even realize that his actions would be considered brave by others. To me, that demonstrates how true a Gryffindor Neville is.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 8th, 2011, 9:17 pm
Second Year

I think all Neville needed was confidence in his own abilities.

I would also like to give props to Joe for showing us that, the bullied don't always become the new bully on the playground.

Hufflepuff: We kill you with smiles and rainbows.
The Pottermore Battalion -- Unicorn Army Corp.

Pottermore Sigs Here
Old August 8th, 2011, 9:34 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
I think all Neville needed was confidence in his own abilities.
I agree. It's self-confidence that Neville lacked in the earlier books, not bravery. What he acquires in the final book, is actually the ability to go ahead and lead other people, rather than be lead, which was the case with him in the previous books; I think he found it easier to follow and do what he was told, rather than make decisions and have others follow them.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old August 9th, 2011, 2:57 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Despite bullying and a lack of confidence, Neville acts on his own sense of courage, which is the true core of his character (and, hence, why he was Sorted into Gryffindor).
I quite agree as well. It is harder to see Neville's bravery than, say, Harry's, because in the beginning, Neville's other characteristics are more in the forefront. But as the books progress, we gradually see Neville gain self-confidence, and this is when his bravery becomes more apparent. I think both Professor Lupin and Harry play a major role in boosting Neville's self-confidence; and also I think Barty Crouch Jr. unwittingly does so as well. With the help of these individuals and through the process of growing up, Neville effectively transitions into a character whose bravery is under-recognized to one where his bravery is unmistakable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Can someone be brave when they are afraid? That's the only time they can be brave.
That's totally true. And given that Neville is somewhat frequently frightened or intimidated, there are lots of opportunities where he shows bravery.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 28th, 2011, 8:02 am
First Year

Looking back, it's easy to see what covered up Neville's courage. He grew up knowing (I'm assuming) his parents had been tortured by dark wizards, and constantly being afraid that he wasn't "magic enough." He never had anyone to boost his confidence when he was young and all of that covered up his true potential. I think it was people like Professor Sprout bragging on his herbology that finally took off that cover and let the true Gryffindor show(:

Old September 18th, 2011, 12:58 pm
Mrs Grawp

I recently reread and I'm pretty sure that came up already but there's one theory I have regarding Neville's poor school achievement in his first schoolyears.

Beside of his lack of confidence (certainly due to his demanding Grandmother) he also had inherited his fathers wand.

Now, Augusta seemed to want Neville to step in his fathers shoes, and gave him Frank's wand. But Neville is not at all like his dad, schoolwise. Frank was excellent in Herbology, ok, but he also excelled in Transfiguration, Charms, Potions and DADA. (required for Auror training).

I just think that Frank's wand was simply not the right one for Neville. Augusta may have wanted Neville to be more like his dad but it never worked.

At the Ministry, Neville's wand snaps, and Augusta, being really proud, gets him a new one: Cherry wood with Unicorn hair core. We don't know what Frank's wand was made of

Cherry and Unicorn, Pottermore descriptions

[staff edit: copyright violation]

well, I don't want to overanalyze, but I think that the "lethal power" is probably softened by the "not so powerful" and that faithful and consistant fits Neville quite well, as well as least prone for Dark Arts.

And it's pink.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old April 8th, 2013, 6:38 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

From the Snape thread (in reference to the prophecy)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
On a slight side note: Maybe that's how Neville's parents got hurt, along with how Neville's memory was affected. They thought (originally) that he was the chosen one.
That would mean that other DEs would have needed to know the specific contents of the prophecy. Do we have any information that this was the case... particularly in the first war? (I'm asking because I don't remember).

Anyway... from what I recall, the attack on Neville's parents occurred after Voldemort's disappearance. Dumbledore says (in GoF?) that it happened after everybody thought that they were safe. So I don't think it was an attack on someone the DEs thought was the "chosen one." Voldemort was already gone.

According to my recollection, the attack on Neville's parents was made in an attempt to locate Voldemort. Neville's parents were Aurors and apparently, Bellatrix and gang thought that they had information on Voldemort's whereabouts.

At least that's how I remember it.

(yeah, I need to read those middle books again too!).

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 8th, 2013, 7:42 am
Sixth Year

Kind of a large coincidence though, isn't it? They want to go after Aurors because they think they'd know what happened to Voldemort...and out of all the Aurors out there they go after the two who could have been parents of the kid Voldemort wanted to kill?

I think most folks don't know about the prophecy and when they say that they went after them to look for Voldemort it's because they themselves don't know about the prophecy and are trying to figure out why the DEs went after the Longbottoms.

Old April 8th, 2013, 7:51 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Kind of a large coincidence though, isn't it? They want to go after Aurors because they think they'd know what happened to Voldemort...and out of all the Aurors out there they go after the two who could have been parents of the kid Voldemort wanted to kill?

I think most folks don't know about the prophecy and when they say that they went after them to look for Voldemort it's because they themselves don't know about the prophecy and are trying to figure out why the DEs went after the Longbottoms.
Is there any evidence stated in the text indicating that the DEs went after the Longbottoms because of the prophecy?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 8th, 2013, 8:24 am
Sixth Year

It makes the most sense. I mean, why only go after the Longbottoms otherwise?

Unless Voldemort mentioned something about both the Potters and Longbottoms before he left, without mentioning the prophecy.

Old April 8th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Sixth Year

Perhaps the Death Eaters targeted Frank and Alice Longbottom because they were both Aurors and Order members, which I think would make the Death Eaters think that they had a much greater the chance to know something useful.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old April 8th, 2013, 2:26 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Bellatrix herself confirms her motive (in GoF's Pensieve scene):

GoFThe dementors were gliding back into the room. The boys' three companions rose quietly from their seats; the woman with the heavy-lidded eyes looked up at Crouch and called, "The Dark Lord will rise again, Crouch! Throw us into Azkaban; we will wait! He will rise again and will come for us, he will reward us beyond any of his other supporters! We alone were faithful! We alone tried to find him!"

(Emphasis mine).

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old April 8th, 2013, 3:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I seem to remember Jo saying on her old website that very few people knew about the prophecy and the Lestranges weren't among them. My impression was that it was nothing to do with Neville but the Lestranges went after Frank & Alice for information.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old April 8th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Sixth Year

Still, strange coincidence that of all people they went after it had to be the folks who could've been the parents of one of the "Choosable Ones". Why them and no other Order members? Were they really they ONLY Aurors in the Order?

Old April 8th, 2013, 5:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Still, strange coincidence that of all people they went after it had to be the folks who could've been the parents of one of the "Choosable Ones".
The reason Frank and Alice Longbottom could have been the parents of the Prophecy Baby was because they had already defied Voldemort three times. I would say that it was their stance against Voldemort that made them "could've beens" by the Prophecy's standards, rather than the Prophecy causing them to be the type of people who opposed Voldemort. I think their stance against Voldemort also put them on the Death Eaters' radar when they needed information. I'm not seeing coincidence, here.

Quote:
Why them and no other Order members? Were they really they ONLY Aurors in the Order?
It was probably a very short list. Kingsley and Tonks were the only two active Auor members in the recent Order.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old April 8th, 2013, 7:54 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
From the Snape thread (in reference to the prophecy)...

That would mean that other DEs would have needed to know the specific contents of the prophecy. Do we have any information that this was the case... particularly in the first war? (I'm asking because I don't remember).

Anyway... from what I recall, the attack on Neville's parents occurred after Voldemort's disappearance. Dumbledore says (in GoF?) that it happened after everybody thought that they were safe. So I don't think it was an attack on someone the DEs thought was the "chosen one." Voldemort was already gone.

According to my recollection, the attack on Neville's parents was made in an attempt to locate Voldemort. Neville's parents were Aurors and apparently, Bellatrix and gang thought that they had information on Voldemort's whereabouts.

At least that's how I remember it.

(yeah, I need to read those middle books again too!).
You beat me to the punch there!

All I remember is that he only over heard the first part of the prophecy, iirc.

Ah, . Thanks for clearing that up too. Only reason reason why I thought the other way was even possible was that (iirc) Neville had a birthday around the same time as Harry's was.

It makes sense that they'd try to get information from them in some way, but it still doesn't really explain Neville's memory issue he had there.

My first ship, Perry Mason and Della Street .

Credit goes to Viacom for the Perry Mason films, no copyright infringement intended.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X-Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old January 26th, 2014, 4:00 pm
I want to believe

I can't resist a final thought about Neville.

Neville remains one of my favorite characters in the series. He underwent a lot of changes between book 1 and book 7: he starts off as a shy, clumsy and insecure little boy who, along the way, discovers himself and realizes his Gryffindor nature. Neville shows us that there are non-obvious ways to show bravery, and he demonstrates that the quiet ones can be strong too.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 26th, 2014, 6:18 pm
Eldest Gruff

I concur, especially about the non-obvious ways to show bravery. Plus I like that we also already see, however very shy, Gryffindor qualities from the start. Eg trying to block Harry, Hermione and Ron from leaving the common room to explore Fluffy's trapdoor, what even got Neville ten points for bravery.
This bravery grows exceptionally over the series until he, in Deathly Hallows, manages to kill Nagini.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:17 pm
Renegade

Remember him in the Department of Mysteries in OotP? He was awesome there, too.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies