Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Old October 20th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Mouse

Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?

4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?

7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?

8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?

This is character analysis so discussion how his homosexuality affected his actions throughout the books is completely on topic. Your personal reaction to his homosexuliaty can be discussed here: Homosexuality in Harry Potter

NOTE:
This thread, nay, this forum will not tolerate homophobia or Dumbledore bashing. Whether you agree or not with homosexuality is not the topic here. Members who choose to dispense with the hate and the nastiness will get a one-way ticket to bansville.

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2007, 6:00 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Well, firstly, this was kind of out of the blue, but I'm really, really happy. I don't have a problem with homosexuality at all, (I have friends that are gay or bi...it's not even a big deal at my school, which is Catholic, so I don't really see why some people, especially religious people, are so against it.) but I never really dared to hope that anyone would be gay in canon - I didn't really think that any character had been set up to be gay, so I wasn't expecting it at all.

One thing that I'd really like to mention is that, well - we shouldn't attribute Dumbledore's eccentric manner to his homosexuality...if people start to do that, I'm going to be very angry, and I think most other people will be, too. Being gay doesn't mean that you act any different from anyone else. Dumbledore's oddness was part of his personality, and I hope that JKR wrote his homosexuality to be a separate part of his character...otherwise, he would be a rather cliche gay character. Well, I'm not saying that Dumbledore is cliche, I'm just saying that having a gay character wear brightly-colored robes, etc. is, well...cliche. But hey, he's one of the most powerful wizards ever, so I guess that kind of works out. (Honestly - I'm happy about Dumbledore being gay, but I think it could have been done better, in book-canon.)

What else. Oh. Yes, I'd also like to point out that we can't start saying "Ew!" when we think about Dumbledore saying that he loved Harry too much to tell him the prophecy, etc. Being homosexual is not the same as being a pedophile, for one thing, and for another, gay people aren't attracted to everyone in the same sex, just like heterosexuals aren't attracted to everyone of the opposite sex. Imagine, for a moment, that JKR decided to make Dumbledore a woman, without any change to his character - or, if you don't want to do that, imagine McGonagall telling Harry that she loved him too much to do something or another. Would it be creepy or weird or in any way sexual? No! It wouldn't! So I'm hoping that the movie directors don't change the way they characterize Dumbledore, and that we, as fans, understand his homosexuality and his relationships with the other male characters as platonic. Well, except perhaps Grindelwald. (Can't. Wait. For. The. Encyclopedia!!! )

You know what I think is absolutely wonderful? Isn't it great that a homosexual character is the one (after Harry, maybe Lily too) who understood the most about love? I wish that this would have been revealed, somehow, in book-canon, but I guess I can understand why it wasn't. This should still have a big impact, though....we might have this entire generation growing up as un-homophobic as possible, because they understand that love between homosexuals isn't any different than love between heterosexuals, isn't any less meaningful or strong.

...Whoopee!!! Yay, JKR!!!

One apology: I'm sorry, but I really, really didn't have time to read very much of the previous thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone.

~Marisa

R.I.P. Hedwig, Mad-Eye, Dobby, Fred, Remus, Tonks, Severus, and Colin. We already miss you.

Thank you, Jo. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you....
All is well.
Old October 20th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Snidget of Champions

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?
Dumbledore presented himself as a flawless, dreamlike character until OotP. I enjoyed his tremendous magical ability, but I was glad when he admitted himself that he made mistakes, too. It showed that he was not arrogant, and that he merely accepted his status and was aware of his power - but he did not think himself superior. In HBP, this all seemed to change. He suddenly seemed much more arrogant and aware of his own "prodigious skill" being better than everyone else's. I did not like his character change - his love towards Harry seemed frenzied, as if he truly did not care. Therefore, I was not too surprised to hear in DH that he was "using" Harry to defeat Voldemort (but Dumbledore did understand that he was not killing Harry, so my respect for him remained).

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry?

Love conquers all.

Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?

I agree with Dumbledore that he should have told Harry about the prophecy much earlier than at the end of OotP. However, I agree with his decision to disclose information about the Deathly Hallows. I always thought he could have told Harry a lot more about his thoughts on where the Horcruxes were, but I think that is something Harry had to find out for himself.

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?

I was shocked, but I am glad we found out. His family made him more human, and it caused him to believe in the powers of love. His family is the reason he did not become a Grindelwald and why he became the opposite.

4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?

I think for the reason Bathilda gave: two brilliant wizards that bonded in the midst of nothing else/no one else around. I believe Dumbledore was smitten with Grindelwald's brilliance (I think at this age Dumbledore was arrogant, and seeing a wizard as brilliant as he caused him to become attracted to him). Therefore, this probably had a lot of effect on Dumbledore's susceptibility, but he had to believe in it to an extent - not even love for someone can change one's entire outlook of decency.

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

I would say Dumbledore was so secretive for a multitude of reasons: his mother, who taught him to be secretive; Ariana's fate; his brilliance/arrogance; and his homosexuality. Although I believe homosexuality was more widely accepted by the Wizarding community, I have a feeling at that age most homosexuals feel embarrassed by it, and thus become secretive.

6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?

I think it exhibits his brilliance more than his magical talents. It also shows how much he changed from the arrogant wizard who dreamed of suppressing Muggles.

7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?

No, I think Harry had to do all of those things no matter what - Dumbledore simply told him that he would have to do it. Dumbledore ultimately helped Harry because he advised him on how to do it instead of having Harry go in blindly. I think it was fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself because it truly was the only way. Dumbledore knew it would not be the end of Harry, but he also knew Harry was strong enough. Again, without Dumbledore's help/advice on what Harry had to do, Harry would most likely have been easily defeated.

8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?

It affects his character some, but not by much. His actions are still the same - just more understandable in some cases. I now understand his hesitance to go after Grindelwald much more clearly, as well as his acceptance of Snape (as well as people like Filch) and Muggleborns, and his outstanding love for seemingly everyone is much more defined. I do not think his sexuality is a big deal (not as big as fans will soon make it), for he is still the same person we have read - we are just now more enlightened. Unfortuantely, I have the feeling that he will now be the new object of ridicule in Harry Potter by non-fans.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old October 20th, 2007, 7:23 pm
Fourth Year

1. I see 3 "Dumbledores": first the one in first three books; the all-knowing, benevolent father figure. Then the planner in books 4 and 5 who is sharing things on a need-to-know basis. Lastly there's the last two books where DD stops treating Harry like a pupil but more like his equal, a young wizard.

2. Well, first and foremost he has to prepare Harry to face LV one day, most of what he does is aimed at that, secondly he is teaching him to be a man/adult. I wish he'd tell him more about Horcruxes and Hallows before book 7.

3. Somewhat interesting, but I don't think the book would have lost much without them. Obviously he rejects power and authority, and is very kind to Muggles and accepting someone like Snape as a result.

4. I guess both were talented wizards, with similar ideas on Muggles. I guess his homosexuality may have helped him listen to his ideas more.

5. I understand why (his sister), but I think he overdid it with the secrets. He could have confided with Harry, or at least McGonagall.

6. It just emphasizes his wisdom.

7. Harry was the chosen one, so I'd say expectations were high anyway. DD did the right thing by training and preparing Harry. In the end it was fair that Harry had to sacrifice himself.

8. No, I just don't care much for wizard sexuality one way or the other. I think this will sadly allow for more anti-HP feelings, fandom or otherwise.

Old October 20th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Second Year

I think he was a person who had a bigger plan and just took it step by step. I don't really see a difference between his actions, he had to do what the thought was right, it's just we didn't get to see it/learn about it until later on.

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?
I think that Dumbledore's lessons about love were the most important because no matter what, love and sacrafice for it was what it always came back to. I don't think he did a bad job per se, but he could have done a btter one. He did put off telling Harry a lot thought. He could have told Harry a lot more, but th ere wasn't anything that he SHOULD have told him. The decision was up to Dumbledore what to say and what not. Also, Dumbledore wasn't the only person taht told Harry stuff along the way.

I think that Dumbledore appreciated love a lot more after he lost the majority of his family.

They both were attracted to power and the Deathly Hallows. As Jo said, Dumbledore was attracted to Grindelwald, so he'd do more for him looking for some sort of return.

I don't think that he was wrong to keep secrets. Everybody does. I think the secrets were because of his sister. He was ashamed of being at fault for her death. He wasn't exactly keeping his sexuality a secret, it's just that nobody ever asked/doubted it.

It was good that he could recognize these faults, but since he did, he wouldn't have allowed himself to get to far. I'm glad he didn't go into the ministry because Harry's story would be waaaay different.

I think Dumbledore had no choice but to expect what he did from Harry. It He didn't think there was any other way. I'm sure Dumbledore had more knowledge about sacrafice than we are aware of, so I can't really say.

No, I always thought that he was, so I regarded things that way.

Old October 20th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Fourth Year

Just to make a comment on Dumbledore and the recent revelations:

Again, I do not think the confirmation from Rowling that Dumbledore was a gay character in the series should have any sort of effect on how we perceive his character. Dumbledore is still Dumbledore, he is not changed by this, simply because there isn't any evidence within the books of his sexuality playing a direct role in the story. The only thing this revelation does is open up discussion about the meaning of the revelation within the series as well as in literature itself.

Harry Potter has had a lot of prejudices laid against it saying the series will not stand the test of time and that this is merely a trend that will grow old. However, I believe the Potter books will become classics and will be studied and considered at length in the future. I think there will come a time when the series has "Harry Potter scholars" who specialize in the series like one might specialize in Austen or Poe or Dickens. Dumbledore became a far more complicated and fascinating character after Deathly Hallows and this new announcement is just an extra layer of characterization which adds to the humanism and reality of many of the characters. Rowling's great achievement is creating characters who seem so alive, particularly Severus, Harry and Dumbledore.

One thing I would like to bring up is the question of how long Rowling has had Dumbledore in mind as a gay character, and whether she ever did slip evidences into the writing which supported in her mind the characterization, without really giving it away to us. One thing I would think is possible, given the intolerance and prejudice she explores within the books regarding half-bloods and pure-bloods and such, is whether the wizarding community at large knew of Dumbledore as a gay figure, and perhaps in OotP, some of the bits where Dumbledore is dragged through the mud by the Ministry were reflections on this fact? I mean, I recall Skeeter mentioning either in DH or OotP, as well as the Daily Prophet and their rubbish in OotP, something about whether Dumbledore's relationship with Harry was "unhealthy" or something. Many of the articles in OotP where the Ministry tries to sway the wizarding community against Dumbledore and Harry seem to suggest, now, that perhaps Dumbledore's sexuality was known to say Fudge and it was his smear campaign to suggest that the wizened Albus was a pedophile of sorts. I mean, it all certainly smells of such discrimination and contempt if we read it that way. Again, we did not know this information during OotP so it was just a plain smear campaign within the framework of the story, but adding this layer of characterization makes that part of OotP stand out more now, as well as the hooplah surrounding Dumbledore in DH and Skeeter's book, and Elphias Doge's role as well.

Didn't I tell you all Severus was good and that he and Lily were friends???!!!
Alan Rickman is my God.
http://www.analyzing-the-evidence.blogspot.com/
Old October 20th, 2007, 8:26 pm
First Year

I must say that this news excited me so much, for several reasons. Mainly because I am a huge Dumbledore fan, and this reveals so much about him. It explains his lonlieness - not only for the lack of a intellectual equal, but of a romantic one.

And yet at the same time, it really saddens me, because now that we do know more of his personal life and his relationship with Grindelwald... this just adds a whole new depth. I mean, the explanation Albus gave us concerning the fight he and Aberforth and Gellert had was sad enough - but add to that the dimension that the man that was your intellectual equal, the man that you loved was the one that might have killed your sister? I wonder what Gellert's sexuality was - did he love his friend back, or was he ambivalent to Albus' affections?

People have been heavily debating over whether his secrecy was a good thing, whether it was morally right to raise Harry as "a pig for slaughter," who had no choice but to face Voldemort. And I agree, I questioned that as well. But this news makes me stop and think - what must it have been like for Albus? How would it have been to love one who may not have loved back, who may have killed your sister? How wise must Albus have been to force himself to see that the one he loved was so evil, and causing all this destruction, and that he had to be stopped, and that he was the only one who could do it? How must it have been to defeat the one you loved, and leave him helpless, imprisoned and alone, when you knew that not too long ago, you could have conquered the world together, for the greater good?

Yes, this changes my view of Dumbledore. It makes me see him as stronger, and I am all the more fond of him.

I will not say the day is done, nor bid the stars farewell.
- JRR Tolkien

Old October 20th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Second Year

May I ask something? Please, do NOT misconstrue this as homophobic but I really must ask. Was Rowling serious? I mean, is this actually part of his character or a throwaway remark designed to shock/amuse people?

Again, absolutely NO homophobia intended but I have to know.

Old October 20th, 2007, 8:36 pm
Fifth Year

Finding out Jo had Dumbledore as a gay character doesn't change the character for me in the least and actually I know Jo says it was Grindlewald who DD was in love with and I can see that but upon reading DH I felt Elphias Doge and DD had been a couple while at Hogwarts. Or maybe Doge just had a huge crush on DD and that was what I was seeing. Cause when Doge spoke of DD it felt to me as if he was talking about a life partner not simply a best friend.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old October 20th, 2007, 8:41 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
May I ask something? Please, do NOT misconstrue this as homophobic but I really must ask. Was Rowling serious?
I'm convinced she was. There have been already speculation about Dumbledore's homosexuality among fans before, so it seems it wasn't a surprise for everyone.

For further discussion of homosexuality in the series please all check out Homosexuality in Harry Potter. This thread is for Albus Dumbledore's character analysis only, where his homosexuality might belong to, though. Thanks!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 20th, 2007, 8:42 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
I know Jo says it was Grindlewald who DD was in love with and I can see that but upon reading DH I felt Elphias Doge and DD had been a couple while at Hogwarts. Or maybe Doge just had a huge crush on DD and that was what I was seeing. Cause when Doge spoke of DD it felt to me as if he was talking about a life partner not simply a best friend.
My impression is that they were possibly more than friends at Hogwarts and that they likely got back together later in life. IMO the press treats Doge almost like the widow in interviews.

Old October 20th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

This doesn't seem to suggest that she was joking. And I think we can be fairly sure that the remark was not intended for shock value, given that she seems to imply that she held off the disclosure for many years because she wasn't sure how it would be received.
Quote:
I wonder what Gellert's sexuality was - did he love his friend back, or was he ambivalent to Albus' affections?
The linked story has JKR saying it was an unrequited love affair, so I'd reckon that was it. And I doubt that Dumbledore had much affection left for Grindelwald after all those years, what he was probably more scared of was learning that he had cast the curse that killed his sister. So what he told Harry at King's Cross was absolutely true to that extent, he wasn't hiding anything there.
As for the new information itself, it doesn't really change my view of Albus in any way. It's like being told, in context of Molly Weasley, that she had brothers who died in the first war: it may explain some aspect of Dumbledore in greater detail, but what really mattered more to me was his early family life, and how that affected him. That was the revelation for me as far as Dumbledore was concerned, and we had it right there in the Deathly Hallows text.

Old October 20th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Elvendork

Well . . . no, not really. We only got to know him well during HBP and DH, so I can't see much difference before that. He just seems less mysterious than he did then, I suppose.

The biggest lesson Dumbledore taught Harry is the importance of choice. He taught Harry the true significance of the prophecy because of this and he also made Harry realize that he wants to kill LV himself. He also teaches Harry the importance of love. Love itself isn't something a spell can make, but it's a force that makes people do amazing things. Lily's love for Harry is a great example of this. In HBP, he taught Harry that love is the main reason Harry wants to kill LV, and it opened Harry's eyes.
I wish Dumbledore taught Harry a bit about power and what it does to people. It would have made a difference in DH if Harry knew something about how alluring power may be.

I found the background story of his life to be tragic. He made mistakes in his youth, and it resulted in the loss of his younger sister. As Harry said, Dumbledore was never free. Dumbleore carried the blame for his sister's death, and that's tragic to me.

I think Dumbledore was friends with Grindelwald because, for the first time in Dumbledore's life, he found an equal. He found someone his age that had power and intellect almost as great as his. I think Dumbledore felt isolated and frustrated that he couldn't find anyone he could express his ideas to, and when Grindelwald came around, he immediately became attracted. Dumbledore's homosexuality prevented Dumbledore for fully acknowledging the truth of Grindelwald's behavior. He said in King's Cross that deep inside he knew there was somethingw rong with Grindelwald, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it.

I think Dumbledore had to. All his life, he was full of secrets. He couldn't reveal to others the truth about his sister or the reason why his father was arrested. He never told anyone about his friendship and love for Grindelwald. He never told anyone that he may have caused his sister to die. All his life, he had to deal with secrets and deception. I'm sure some wizards had homophobia, and this enforced Dumbledore's need to keep secrets. Sometimes Dumbledore should have told other people the truth, but it's understandable why he couldn't, IMO.

It takes a lot of strength to admit flaws and resist temptations. I see Dumbledore as being even stronger than I thought he was before DH.

I think Dumbledore only expected Harry to do what he knew Harry would do. Eventually Dumbledore grew to love Harry as a son and grew close to him. He realized the truth about Harry's character and expected Harry to do what Harry ended up doing. Dumbledore thought Harry was a better man than himself and expected greater things from Harry.

Now that I'm aware of his homosexuality, it sheds light onto the relationship he had with Grindelwald. Some would wonder why a person like DD couldn't turn away from Grindelwald, but it makes sense to me now. It wasn't easy for Dumbledore to see the person he fell in love with turn his back on him.

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Old October 20th, 2007, 9:02 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
May I ask something? Please, do NOT misconstrue this as homophobic but I really must ask. Was Rowling serious? I mean, is this actually part of his character or a throwaway remark designed to shock/amuse people?

Again, absolutely NO homophobia intended but I have to know.
Judging by what I perceive to be Jo's general egalitarian principles, as illustrated in the main theme of the books (that birth and/or physical characteristics are much less important than who we choose to be), I'm sure she was serious and gave an open and honest answer to an enquiry about Dumbledore's love life. It also ties in nicely with his relationship to Grindelwald, and the fact that Elphias Doge clearly had a huge crush on Dumbledore at the very least!

Old October 20th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
Judging by what I perceive to be Jo's general egalitarian principles, as illustrated in the main theme of the books (that birth and/or physical characteristics are much less important than who we choose to be), I'm sure she was serious and gave an open and honest answer to an enquiry about Dumbledore's love life. It also ties in nicely with his relationship to Grindelwald, and the fact that Elphias Doge clearly had a huge crush on Dumbledore at the very least!
Just because Elphias Doge was a big friend of Dumbledore's doesn't mean that he was also gay and had a crush on him. I read that more as those two were very close, and Elphias hated to see his old friend being tarnished after he died. Just my opinion, though

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old October 20th, 2007, 9:32 pm
First Year

To me I dont see Dumbledore as being "just" gay. Jk Rowling said it blunt as possible but for Dumbledore it doesnt seem that simple. Dumbledore is the type of person who would love someone for who they are no matter if its male or female. Race and sex wouldnt matter at all.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old October 20th, 2007, 9:39 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadEyeCorey View Post
To me I dont see Dumbledore as being "just" gay. Jk Rowling said it blunt as possible but for Dumbledore it doesnt seem that simple. Dumbledore is the type of person who would love someone for who they are no matter if its male or female. Race and sex wouldnt matter at all.

There are, of course, different kinds of love. Based on Rowling's revelation and the hints about Grindelwald, I would say Dumbledore would only feel romantic love for a male. After all, we would not feel it is necessary to explain that Harry can love males and females, would we? He can still be Ron's best friend, even though he is only attracted in a sexual way to females.

But certainly, Dumbledoee is not "just" gay, anymore that other characters are 'just' het. Nothing we have learned thus far about his flaws, his ideals, his plans, and his treatment of others is changed by the revelation that he is attracted to other men.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:16 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
But certainly, Dumbledoee is not "just" gay, anymore that other characters are 'just' het. Nothing we have learned thus far about his flaws, his ideals, his plans, and his treatment of others is changed by the revelation that he is attracted to other men.
I agree. He is still very much Dumbledore and it only makes a difference when viewing his relationships with Grindelwald and Doge - and not a major difference there either. It's a detail - added colour, which clarifies the situation a bit but it is by no means essential to the plot to know that Dumbledore is gay. (If it was, it would have been made clearer in the books.)

Old October 20th, 2007, 11:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestua_Nox View Post
One thing that I'd really like to mention is that, well - we shouldn't attribute Dumbledore's eccentric manner to his homosexuality...if people start to do that, I'm going to be very angry, and I think most other people will be, too. Being gay doesn't mean that you act any different from anyone else. Dumbledore's oddness was part of his personality, and I hope that JKR wrote his homosexuality to be a separate part of his character...otherwise, he would be a rather cliche gay character. Well, I'm not saying that Dumbledore is cliche, I'm just saying that having a gay character wear brightly-colored robes, etc. is, well...cliche.
Oh my god... I didn't even think of that. I really hope she didn't write it like that. I don't think she did, but still. Ugh... you know fans are going to be thinking that's why he acts like that and stuff. Stereotypes suck.

Do you like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Then visit my petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/daily135/petition.html and sign your name to get the earlier episodes released on DVD!

Save the Canon at http://community.livejournal.com/sporkhpmovie

I'm engaged to Remus Lupin!!!
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:25 am
First Year

The revlelation about Dumbledore's sexuality isn't really a big surprise. I used to wonder a bit whether his trust of Snape came from some kind of secret relationship between them. That said, I think it's an irrelevent revelation now that the book is over, and I think it's something she should've left up to the fans to decide. For example, i would've been dissapointed if that actually was the explanation for his trust of Snape, not because I have any problem at all with homosexuality, but because it just seems like such an easy way out for the author. The same thing for DD's relationship with Grindelwald . I wish that she would've been more creative, within the range of her genre, to come up with an explanation of DD's character.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies