Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:13 am
Auror Emeritus

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Neville Longbottom. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?

2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?

3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?

4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 7:29 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:07 am
Third Year

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Quote:
1) We know Neville’s upbringing (like Harry’s) hasn’t been a bed of roses. How have Neville’s formative years with his grand mother and extended family influence the person he is now? Would he be the same person if his parents hadn’t been tortured into madness?
I think he would have obviously been different had his parents been there for him. Perhaps he would have come into his own sooner or he might have been more confident to begin with. I think being a pseudo-orphan makes his affinity to Harry stronger though.

Quote:
2) Neville evolved into a remarkable leader of Dumbledore's Army and a true Gryffindor, do you think his previous incompetence was due to lack of confidence? What events in the series allowed him to gain the confidence he needed?
I think he had some confidence issues to begin with. Maybe he was afraid of ending up like his parents? Maybe he was simply a late bloomer? I think helping Harry and fighting alongside the DA in OotP is really where we see him come into his own. I thought I would be disappointed if he wasn't the one to kill Bella... but him taking out Voldie's snake was AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!

Quote:
3) How does the power of love manifest itself in Neville's actions throughout DH?
He loves his friends and he loves his family. I think this gave him the strength to fight to the bitter end

Quote:
4) Neville is one of the few characters whose profession we learn. What do you think of his choice to teach? What qualities would make Neville a good teacher?
He's a whiz at Herbology, so duh he ends up teaching this class! I think given his slow but steady development, he'll have the patience to deal with teaching students.

Snape Article
My Art
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:37 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme View Post
Naturally, having no parents changes the way kids learn to deal with problems. Even though he had a grandmother who probably taught him a lot, the lack of parent-figures in the traditional sense gave Neville a chance (or forced him) to grow up quickly and take care of himself. It's no surprise that a large number of child heroes in children's stories either have no parents or get rid of them, because not having parents provides a unique freedom for children as well as a different sense of responsibility. That world outlook is what bonded Harry to Neville and vice versa, as well.

Quote:
Naturally, he was a bit overshadowed by having people like Harry and Hermione in his class, so he didn't really have much of an opportunity to develop confidence except in Herbology. He also came from a very strong wizarding family and a lot of legacy to live up to which probably made him feel like he had to be particularly good at magic or he wasn't good at all. That, and the fact that he really didn't have any particular aptitude for magic (leadership, yes) probably led to his lack of confidence.

As he was able to shine through and be a valuable part of the team, and as other people who would have naturally taken leadership roles (like Harry) were out of the picture, Neville became the leader that was needed because above all he had a good heart and wanted to help in the way he could do best.

Quote:
Neville's strong belief that Harry would come back and save Hogwarts was both because he loved Harry and his friends and because he loved all the students of the school, in a way, and wanted more than anything for the school to be saved for them. I think also he loved his parents enough to have that extra reason to hate Voldemort.

Quote:
Neville showed himself to be very caring and understanding, and because he was not a star pupil he would be more able to understand struggling students and help them out. It seemed logical that after Neville found his element with leadership that he should want to continue with that line and teach

He was the bravest man Harry knew. ~Long Live Severus Snape~
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:52 am
Fifth Year

No. Undoubtedly, Neville would not have been the same person, but I don't doubt that he would still have been a formidable foe for the Death Eaters - it is, as his grandmother has reminded us (and him) time and time again, in his blood. However, his characterization and growth - from an intimidated, forgetful, somewhat frightened little boy into a much stronger and capable young man has been not only encouraged but also pushed by his drive to not only redeem his parents but to also uphold his duties to his friends.

I do think that many of Neville's earlier problems were probably due to a serious lack of confidence. As for what events led to a change in this... I think you could probably go all the way to first year when he stood up to Harry, Ron, and Hermione when they were trying to stick up. Undoubtedly, his confidence has been building in the other years, though much of his change has either been off the page or not deeply prodded (for example, he managed to ask Hermione to the Yule Ball, and even when refused, he managed again to ask Ginny. As we can see from Ron and Harry's own reactions to asking out girls to the ball, this alone took confidence and courage). Honestly, I did not expect such a drastic change from the last book to this one, but I suppose the battles in the last two books, where he not performed quite well but also survived, probably upped his confidence more than anything else.

This one is harder. Neville, I believe, has a strong code of honor. He loves his friends, and he wants to take care of them (very much like Harry), and he acts and reacts on that in this book. He is undyingly loyal to Harry until the very end - even after having his life threatened (and after he is injured) by Voldemort, he still manages to fulfil Harry's (supposed) last request, and kills Nagini. He is offered safety by Voldemort, quite unlike Draco Malfoy, who I believe parallels Neville here, he does not falter. He is determined to stand by his beliefs, his family, and his friends, and he faces death willingly to do so.

Haha! I had always hoped Neville would end up teaching Herbology (he always seemed to have an unseemly ability in the subject provided his grades in other areas), and I was not disappointed. As for what would make him a good teacher - he is obviously a capable wizard, and above that, one would hope that his own experiences in his youth as the clumsy, forgetful, and often forgotten "geek" would open him to acceptance in his own students' faults.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:15 am
Third Year

1) I think that neville would have been the same person he is now either way. It was rough that neville had to be brought up the way he did but look how he turned out. He became a leader. A strong, resilient and above all trustworthy. I was so happy to finally see Neville come out of his shell and emerge into this amazing adult.

2) Friends, i think that his lack of friends and overall support. Neville is not like harry and would turn his emptiness into a better situation. He seemed like he would always be by himself at home, which would lead to his need for friends. With friends would then also come courage.

3) I dont think it is a hard answer because there is def a link between Neville's, for lack of a better word, birth and his love he shows for everyone.

4) Neville's occupation fits him. I dont want to say i saw it coming but i mean its perfect. I think that he also would be an amazing teacher because he hass come so far. He will help those kids that he might see himself in. I hope he rights a book

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:25 am
Second Year

Quote:
Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Neville Longbottom. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here:Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

1. Neville has learned that patience is the most important key with children who where brought up like himself and Harry.

2. Harry was an amazing influence on Neville. You heard what he said to Harry. "I told them all you would never leave us, I knew you would come back!" Neville was taught by his freind for six years on bravery and ignoring rude comments by those ignorant and arrogant people. I think Neville needed to be thrust into leadership. Harry and Dumbeldore were remarkable leaders, and just as Harry needed the hero to leave so he could develope, so did Neville with Harry.

3.He learned friendship and family are the key to his Gryffindor bravery and selfless love for others.

4.Like I said, patience and kindness. He would make a great head of house.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:53 am
Sixth Year

Neville was so indescribably brilliant in this book. Thanks so much, Jo. It's kind of sad to reread PS, though... he's all grown up and decapitating giant snakes nowadays *wobbly smile*

Quote:
The DA in OotP was a huge push in the right direction (like literally, huge - he gained friends, confidence, knowledge, experience, etc.), but it seems that it really took a situation where they couldn't rely on the usual help (teachers, Harry, you know) to bring out his true bravery and leadership skills. The school was incredibly messed up, and yet Harry was no longer there to be the hero - we see the change this brings out in Neville over the course of the school year, as well as when Harry appeared to be dead. Those are the times when Neville really pushed himself and came through for his friends. I kind of loved Harry passing the mission to Neville when he was on his way to death, too... what an amazing moment. Harry has definitely been a very positive influence on him, and he's been doing it all along - right from "you're worth twelve of Malfoy" in book one.

Quote:
I think he'll be an excellent teacher. He knows what it's like to struggle, to have low self-esteem and to feel like you're not good at things, so he'll know how to handle kids in similar situations. Also, since he really loves Herbology , he'll obviously put his heart into it. Hee, "Professor Longbottom" - nope, the novelty hasn't worn off. How cool.

You know what I really loved about Neville in this book, though? He was so positive. I mean, he was bright and strong and caring and brave, even in the face of the unimaginable. I can't believe how far he's come.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:54 am
First Year

I wasn't surprised at Neville's choice of profession. He is non-judgemental, a key quality for a professor, and obviously has a passion for the subject. Like most people pointed out already, his transformation from the "ugly duckling" of his year to Horcrux-destroyer will enable him to help others come out of their cocoon.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:39 am
First Year

I was so happy to see Neville in DH finally come into his own. He seemed like plant that had lived in the shade (Harry, Harry's protection) too long and once the shade was removed he could come into his own and grow and blossom. I also think that he had been groomed by Severus to take on the Carrows, once you have withstood the cutting tongue of Severus Snape how could dimwits like the Carrows scare you!!!!

His grandmother is a formidable woman and I think that Prof. McGonagall actually did send a letter to her reminding her to appreciate her grandson for what he was. He seems almost to blossom before our eyes when Prof. McGonagall says this to him.

Hooray Neville!!!!

WOMBAT 3-- I got an E!! Woohoo!!!
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:04 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

I loved the way Neville developed in the book - his showing the trio around the room of requirement was one of the highlights. Just an aside but the only evidence we have that he was good at herbology was the false Moody telling him so in order to pass information to Harry in GoF. A self fulfilling prophecy perhaps.

And I loved his Gran turning up for the final battle.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
I loved the way Neville developed in the book - his showing the trio around the room of requirement was one of the highlights. Just an aside but the only evidence we have that he was good at herbology was the false Moody telling him so in order to pass information to Harry in GoF. A self fulfilling prophecy perhaps.

And I loved his Gran turning up for the final battle.
Well, back in PS we get this line... "Even Neville scraped through, his good Herbology mark making up for his abysmal Potions one" tucked in the final pages.

But yeah, I liked his Gran a lot better in this book. Go Team Longbottom!

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Second Year

No he wouldn't- I think he'd have a been a lot more confident from the start, less gaurded, less pressured to be like his father. His traumas really played a huge role in his life and the fact that his whole family was desperate for him to bring them some family honour made things that much more difficult. He really did expect himself to fail from the start.

I think a major turning point was Professor McGonagall writing that letter to his gran at the beginning of HBP. Neville had to realize that he had his own talents, that he wasn't his father, and that he could stand up to his gran. Also really important was the reveal to the rest of the students about the truth behind his parents- it was out in the open, he didn't have as much to hide anymore, and because truly passionate about what he wanted: the end of the Death Eaters, because when Neville really wants something, I think he can do very well. He just used to be so afraid of failing that he could never succeed. He did so much growing up in books five and six that it's really hard to pin-point an exact moment, but by the time book seven came around, he was a wonderfully strong and passionate person. I think out of all the characters in the books, his journey is the one to be most admired.

He just plain cares. About all his friends, his family. He obviously loves his gran very much, despite her mis-guidedness in raising him. He didn't have much in the way of friends to start off with, so by the time he had them, he really valued them, and was loyal, much like Luna.

He's sympathetic, he's not some grand wizard so high up on a pedestal that students wouldn't be able to relate, I think he'd make an amazing teacher just through his experiences of being a loner, struggling with magic, and his growth during his time at Hogwarts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
You know what I really loved about Neville in this book, though? He was so positive. I mean, he was bright and strong and caring and brave, even in the face of the unimaginable. I can't believe how far he's come.
Very well put. I wanted to give him a hug! I love how much he's grown over the course of the series, I grinned every time he showed up in the final chapters of Deathly Hallows, he was wonderfully brave.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Fifth Year

Neville, neville, neville. I will answer the questions later, but is there a braver, more amazing person then Neville? So many of my thoughts on the characters changed in this book; my opinion of Neville changed the most, just as Harry was seeing all the characters through adult eyes, so we as an extension of this, saw them all clearly for the first time as well. Neville is amazing.

'Why is every critical moment in fate or the adult or child so clearly coloured by emotion?’ Vygotsky
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:45 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets7 View Post
Neville, neville, neville. I will answer the questions later, but is there a braver, more amazing person then Neville? So many of my thoughts on the characters changed in this book; my opinion of Neville changed the most, just as Harry was seeing all the characters through adult eyes, so we as an extension of this, saw them all clearly for the first time as well. Neville is amazing.
I agree- I love how Harry finally saw Neville as someone he could trust, and someone that he could count on. It's a far cry from trying to avoid being his partner in class! Neville gets the respect he deserves at long last- and he lives up to his parents "standards" in his own way, not his Gran's. I think he's the character I admire and respect the most in the series.

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:12 am
Mouse

I have always loved Neville and I've known he was special since he stood up to Malfoy in SS/PS. I've loved seeing him grow into maturity from his mastery of curses in the DA in OotP to his assumption of the leadership of the DA in Harry's absence.

I love the proof the Sorting Hat gave him that he's a true Gryffindor and his use of the sword to destroy Nagini.

He showed himself to be brave loyal selfless and highly skilled in this book. I could not have been more proud of him.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm so glad that Neville really got a chance to shine in DH. Neville turned into a real leader. When there was no one else to do the job, Neville really stepped up and took over. He was also great during the end battle - I was so happy that he was able to summon Gryffindor's sword - it really validates his bravery. I like that Neville became a teacher. Sometimes I feel that teachers who were always excellent students have trouble relating to struggling students, so it's great that Hogwarts has someone on staff who can really understand and relate to these students. He can be a real role model in this regard.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:33 am
First Year

Quote:
Neville grew up without knowing his parents, only knowing that they were tortured into madness. Such information would likely be traumatic for a child, moreso when children are so much more innocent. Had his parents not been tortured, he'd have had their support in whatever he tried to accomplish, rather than an over-bearing grandmother desperate to see him turn into a good wizard like his father (which he did, fought Death Eaters), or uncles that constantly tried to scare magic out of him. Neville would've become the character we seem his as at the end of DH far earlier had his parents not been tortured.

Quote:
Neville didn't have confidence at the start of the series. He was highly self-conscious about the fact that he was forgetful and clumsy. He was constantly being hounded by Draco Malfoy, which probably greatly undermined his self-esteem, or what was left of it. He knew he wasn't the greatest in classes and his teachers never supported him, trying to get him to do his best (except in Herbology, which he was naturally really good in). Neville eventually gained confidence when he got friends that didn't walk all over him, and they even encouraged him. He came into his own in OotP after finding out Bellatrix escaped in my opinion. He had a goal to work towards, and with Harry's help in Dumbledore's Army, he was able to gain confidence in his spellwork, and found a group of close-knit people he could bond with. Afterall, Dumbledore's Army was all in it together, something Neville reminds Harry of a few times.

Quote:
Neville's love manifests through his caring for his fellow students, and mostly for his friends. He's always willing to help his friends, and at the end of DH, he follows through on his promise to Harry to kill Nagini, showing his true loyalty.

Quote:
Neville as a teacher is really well done. Neville knows how to listen to people, nor would he single anyone out. He grew up without having much confidence, but gained it through the strength of his friendships and his own abilities. It's through this he can become a role-model to the weaker students he teaches, and can help to inspire confidence in them.

Overall, throughout the entire series, Neville's character goes through a phenomenal amount of growth which was really nice to see. Meek, forgetful child into a sword-wielding, Horcrux-killing wizard? Nicely done Neville, nicely done.

Old July 25th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Howdy! Mind if I jump into the "poor ignored Neville Thread"?

One thing I loved about Neville in this book (apart from the fact that he led the student revolution against the Carrows ) was that he mostly seemed to play by his strengths. Neville's an ok dueller, but he's a much better herbologist. It was nice seeing him using plants against the DEs. He was playing by his strengths, and it seemed to work pretty well.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Fifth Year

Poor Neville! His family, especially his grandmother, tried far to hard to make him be just lik his Father. They didn't seem to realize that Neville was his own person who had his own special talents and that those talents needed to be nurtured. Had they need tried to make him live up to his fathers image I think he would have been a much different little boy coming to Hogwarts that first day. I think had his parents not been tortured into madness we would have seen a Neville who was secure in who he was and his place in this world. They would not have tried to make him be anything but what he was.

Total lack of confidence due to his families treatment of him definitely made him the way he was. Once those around him at school showed they believed in him he blossomed! That is all he ever needed was someone to show that they believed in him. He was like a plant that was denied water or sunshine but told get it yourself.

I think Neville knew his family loved him but he never felt they loved him unconditionally. His Hogwarts family did. They didn't want Neville to be anyone but Neville.

That was one of the parts of the epilogue that made me the happiest. Neville was finally right where he belonged. I think he would make an excellent teacher. He would never belittle a student or make them feel like they were not worth anything. I think he would give them help or advice and try and make them see that they are a good student and worth the attention he gave them.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 25th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
One thing I loved about Neville in this book (apart from the fact that he led the student revolution against the Carrows ) was that he mostly seemed to play by his strengths. Neville's an ok dueller, but he's a much better herbologist. It was nice seeing him using plants against the DEs. He was playing by his strengths, and it seemed to work pretty well.
Great point. I was saying before DH came out that one thing I admire about Neville is his knowledge of his own limitations but his determination to help in spite of them. In OotP, he carries Hermione and tells Harry that he's better at fighting. He manages to assist Harry without getting in his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Potter View Post
I think Neville knew his family loved him but he never felt they loved him unconditionally. His Hogwarts family did. They didn't want Neville to be anyone but Neville.
I was so happy when his Gran finally saw how remarkable he is. But you're right, she wanted him to be someone he wasn't and Neville had to find his own way and come to terms with who he was vs. who she wanted him to be.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies