Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Old July 13th, 2007, 1:43 am
Unspeakable

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Welcome to the post-DH discussion of Draco Malfoy. Previous discussion without spoilers can be found here: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:14 am
Master Seer

Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?
I think she planned him to become one, yes. But not all pampered bullies turn out to be Death Eaters - see Sirius, and until this day, Draco remains the first person in the wizarding world who tried to befriend Harry BEFORE knowing who he was.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son. Is that a question? Because I don't agree. I think Lucius was a far more generous, loving father than many gave him credit for. I never saw that in the books, only in the CoS movie, and even there, I didn't necessarily think that power-craving Lucius had been a bad father (apart from giving his son awful morals, but hey, the man truly believes in that stuff, and you can only pass on the morals that you feel to be right). I always believed that the whole family was very much attached to each other.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?
Joining the Death Eaters thinking he could vindicate his father was childish bravado. During HBP, Draco loses more and more freedom of choice, and everything from crying when talking to Myrtle, to finally fall on his knees in front of a Death Eater and beg, 'I'm one of you' - that was deepest, desperate fear.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts. again, sorry, I don't understand the question.

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean? Neither. He's a nasty little bugger until he joins the DE, has his fifteen minutes of feeling glorious, and then realises what the heck he's in for, what everybody he cares for is in for. What there to be misunderstood? In DH, his inner life is imprinted in his face and involuntary or voluntary reactions.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH? Since he doesn't act in ANY way to get back to Voldemort's good graces - neither does any of his parents - I think he's glad he got out of that one, and simply prays on his knees that he doesn't get into another situation like this, knowing full well that he simply couldn't pull it through. He reacts quite strongly to the torture and deaths, too. He falls off the chair when Charity Burbage is murdered.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future. I'm not entirely sure he has one. If everyone who was saved from someone else had a life-debt going on... nah... the equivalent of the fire department in the magical world would be stuffed full with people collecting life-debts like fans collect Potterphernalia.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue? I don't know. I actually like that we don't get to know this in detail. He's alive, he seems to be alot like himself still - 'Scorpius'?!?!, he even found himself a wife with more spine than Pansy Parkinson. That's all right with me. I think he still believes that his parents are better than the Weasleys, and that little Scorpio is somewhat superior to a muggleborn student, but not longer with that violent hatred he grew up with. More your average aristocrat with a bit of good weather liberalism, and the secret, deep conviction that it's more special to have Mayflower ancestors than arriving on Ellis Island.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:07 am
Second Year

1. When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater? I don't think the scene at Madam Malkin's necessarily shows the beginning of a DE, but rather the characteristics of a Slytherin boy, and as we all know not all Slytherins are DE and not all DE are evil. However I disagree with Fleur and I think it's important to note that the part of Draco that shines most in this scene is his pride. He was not trying to befriend Harry, he was trying to impress him. He is proud, as his parents have taught him to be, and he wants to outshine all others. I think it is his pride, and his desire to prove his worth that is responsible for fueling most of his actions throughout the series, including him entering the DE ranks without any qualms.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son. Well this isn't a question but I do agree. Lucius likes his status. We have seen this in numerable counts where he's exercised his influence in the Ministry. And, yes, he is demanding. We saw this in CoS in the scene with Borgin where he belittles Draco about his grades. I don't think this means, however, that Lucius isn't a loving father. The buying of brooms for the Slytherin Quidditch team and incident with the Buckbeak come to mind as minor evidence for this, and of course now we know that Draco was Lucius' first concern during the Battle of Hogwarts.

3. Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado? Well that depends on which choices you're referring to. I agree that accepting his task and joining the DE was bravado, a child jumping at an opportunity to prove himself without even considering the consequences. But of course, the possible consequences soon become frighteningly evident and Draco's attempts on Dumbledore's life are then fueled by a desperation to save himself and his family. His decision not to kill him though, is largely due to fear, fear for what that might turn him into.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his fatherís and Voldemortís) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a ďthat donít impress me muchĒ reaction to his attempts. Um...this is not really clear are you stating that Draco was surprised that Harry was oblivious to his boasting? Because I don't think that's the case

5. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean? I think we've all seen that there's no such thing as "plain mean" in Harry Potter. The characters are human, driven by desires, love, fear and ambition, and Draco is definitely not the exception.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH? I think all the Malfoys regret their involvement with Voldemort as they have seen what a danger it has been to their family. I think the only reason they remained in his service was fear. As for his failure to kill Dumbledore...I don't think he regrets it. Draco is not capable of the atrocities the other Death Eaters are.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future. What future? That was it wasn't it? I think the curt little nod at the station acknowledges that the trio helped him out in the past but he remains proud Draco.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue? Working for the Ministry maybe, making himself richer. If blood status stopped counting I'm sure he'll rely on his riches as comfort. I don't think the wife is Pansy, otherwise Jo would've probably mentioned it. I think Draco changed too much to continue with that childish relationship.

"Why are we reading, if not in hope of beauty laid bare, life heightened, and its deepest mystery probed?"- Annie Dillard
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:58 am
Master Seer

ah, Serena, we don't disagree as much as you might think concerning question 1. Yes, he is proud, yes, he does try to impress Harry. Absolutely with you on that one. But from the perspective of Lucius' son, that is trying to make a friend. It's what he learnt from his parents.

Quote:
I think the curt little nod at the station acknowledges that the trio helped him out in the past but he remains proud Draco.
I very much like this curt nod and what is implied by it. Can you imagine, if everything had come differently after their schooltime, Severus and James meet at the station and acknowledge each other's presence so quietly and respectful? And Sirius standing by making a little joke how his own child isn't supposed to fall in love with Severus' kid? The trio as well as Draco have come a long way, and are capable of reassessing their judgements of old.

As for the last question - no, if it had been Pansy, we would have got the name, since we know her. I don't think Draco's wife is anyone Harry knows, or who left the slightest impression on him.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:16 pm
First Year

I don't think that Pansy is his wife. In DH, Pansy tries to get the Hogwartians to grab Harry and give him to Voldemort. She never suffered at Voldemort's hands the way Draco and his family did; it appears that her outlook on Voldemort and his rise of power hasn't changed much, as Draco's obviously has. I don't think by any means that Pansy and Draco would ever become enemies, but I do think that Draco's experiences changed him enough for him not to want to be with her.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:56 pm
First Year

I think that it is clear from DH that both Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy love their son very much - I love the scene where they are running through the battle, not even bothering to cast spells, so fixated are they on the safety of Draco. However, I think that Draco must always have been very concious of his father's position as a death eater, and although at first he would have felt proud of this (being convinced that his father's morals were correct, as any young child is) but after realising the true extent of the death eater's deeds, he, like Regulus, may have started to doubt after all. He would have become afraid and resentful after his father's fall from glory, and I sincerely doubt that in the 6th book he was still on Voldemort's "side." I think, though, that he was always too self-serving and cowardly (remember, Slytherin, not Griffindor!) to publicly ally himself with the Order, especially when it appeared that Voldemort would take power.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think Draco in DH is a very frightened young man. He is clearly terrified of Voldemort, which is probably why Voldemort gets him to Crucio his victims - to make sure he stays that way. He knows the enormous power Voldemort has over him and his family. It's the bully getting bullied - he can't take it.

He does seem genuinely attached to his family, which I thought might have changed once Lucius proved not to be the ideal he had supposed. It gives me some hope for Draco's own family. I imagine he has taught little Scorpius that the Malfoys are an ancient, pure and superior family, but I don't think he'll have boasted of his Death Eater connection. I thought the curt nod he gave Harry in the epilogue implied that they had to some degree buried the hatchet. I don't think Lucius would have behaved like that to Arthur 20 years before.

I also thought it was touching that even after Crabbe & Goyle had made it clear they weren't his devoted side-kicks any more, he still dragged Goyle to safety in the fire in the RoR and was concerned that Crabbe hadn't got out. I think the old Draco would have put himself very much first and left his stooges to do the best they could.

I don't think he married Pansy - I think Pansy might not have fancied him so much when the family broke under Voldemort. He wasn't exactly a hero any more, was he?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I don't think he married Pansy - I think Pansy might not have fancied him so much when the family broke under Voldemort. He wasn't exactly a hero any more, was he?
Good point! I hadn't really considered it from her perspective before, but I think you're right. That just strengths my conviction that Pansy and Draco would have become incompatible by the end of the war.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:01 pm
Master Seer

I think we'd underestimate Pansy if we think she wouldn't want Draco any longer because Lucius had fallen from grace with Voldemort before that one's downfall. We never get any pointer for the Parkinsons being Death Eater affiliates, for a start. Then - unlike other Death Eaters, the Malfoys are somewhat better off after Voldemort's undoing since they distanced themselves from him (as far as possible in their situation) long before the actual downfall. Ergo - their position in society is better than that of other comparable families. IF Pansy wasn't after anything but status, Draco would still make a more or less 'decent' match.

What speaks against this presumption (in my opinion, anyway) that Pansy is out for nothing but status is the fact that the first time we actually see her and Draco together as a couple is AFTER Lucius' imprisonment and long BEFORE Voldemort's 'ascension' to full power. She did stick to him when he was at his lowest low, seen from the society's point of view.

Maybe Pansy and Draco are just an example for the fact that most people do NOT marry their highschool sweetheart (something I find quite unrealistic, and Hermione/Ron, Ginny/Harry already cover that possibility).

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:28 pm
First Year

I think she did. His family history and his attitude set him up as a prime candidate to be a Death Eater. I also think however that JK started to show the change in Draco during HBP: Pampered, snobbish and a bully he may have been but that doesn't mean someone is capable of murder of the innocent.

2. Draco grew up in a home with a mother from the notorious House of Black and a father who was a Death Eater that held favor with Voldemort. Lucius craves wealth, status and power. He is a demanding father and expects nothing less than excellence from his son.

Not technically a question but i do agree that Lucius is a demanding father and expects the best from his son and expected him to follow Voldemort and the idea that Pure bloods are better then Muggles. However, i think that he and Narcissa cared a great deal for eachother and their son, two points that were both highlighted in DH by the fact that Narcissa and Lucius cared only for Draco in the end rather then protecting their lord.

A lot of Dracos choices were derived from bravado and fear. But when faced with Voldemort and his threat of killing your entire family, fear would be the driving force making you do his bidding.

I think i understand what you're trying to say with the fourth question/statement. Draco was used to being able to name drop and intimidate people into following him/keeping out of his way and he didn't like the fact that Harry and his friends didn't respond to him in this way.

. Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

Neither and both. Draco is spoiled and has taken on the attitude that his mother and father have of pure bloods being superior and so on. He may be a jerk but that, once again, doesn't mean that he's capable of murder. He proved this when he couldn't kill Dumbledore. It's hard when you're young to step out of the life your parents have mapped out for you.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH?

I don't think he regrets not being able to kill Dumbledore and i don't think he regrets any of his choices in DH. As i said before, once you're in Voldemorts camp it is near impossible to turn againt him and survive. I think Draco and his family spent most of the last book just trying to survive.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future.

I don't think it ever will. Once Voldemort had fallen i think the remaining Death Eaters and his supporters would have either fled and hid or have been captured/killed fairly qjuickly, thus eliminating any worry about the future saftey of Harry and Ron. I also don't think that Ron or Harry would ever ask Draco to repay that life debt.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue?

What did Lucious Malfoy do as a job? Did he and his wife maybe have enough Galleons to ensure they didn't have to work? I don't think he would have married Pansy, JK never mentioned that he felt any affection towards her. I think he continued to believe that Pure Bloods are better then Muggles but that it didn't really impact his life much beyond not being best pals with Muggles.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Fifth Year

Yes, I think so. From the very first minute Harry saw Malfoy, Harry knew he was a bad seed. Malfoy kept that up the entire series, so when he finally became a Death Eater, it fit perfectly.

I think Lucius expects nothing less than excellence from his son, only so heíd beat out the Muggle-borns and people like Harry and Ron. Lucius wanted (at some point, anyway) to be Voldemortís right-hand man, and since that never happened, he was still trying to get that highest status wherever he could. Thatís why he wanted Malfoy to outshine everyone; I donít think Lucius particularly cared whether or not his son had the best marks, as long as he was better than Hermione.

A first, it was bravado. Malfoy swaggered around the school like he owned the place, happy that he knew things others didnít. And when he first became a Death Eater, it was because of that trait. However, once Malfoy realised what being a Death Eater actually involved, I think he only stayed on due to fear. Itís obvious that he didnít want to be a part of it, but he knew that he had no choice. Malfoy just wanted to go back to being a regular 17 year old, but he couldnít.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his fatherís and Voldemortís) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a ďthat donít impress me muchĒ reaction to his attempts.

Malfoy grew up in the best house with the best of everything, so he expected people to respond to that. Crabbe and Goyle sure did, but they didnít have much sense. Harry knew better, thankfully.

Pre-Death Eater status, he was just plain mean. As a Death Eater, he was misunderstood. He didnít want to kill people, but itís not like he could take a leave of absence. It was either stay a DE, or die, and as a 17 year old, he picked the best choice he could.

I think he regrets becoming a DE in the first place, but heís absolutely scared for Voldemort to find that out.

It seems that they went their separate ways. I doubt Harry would go after Malfoy when he needed a favour or something. However, Iím sure Harry and Ron like knowing that someone is in their debt, just in case Malfoy tries something dangerous.

No, I donít think Pansy is the wife; Harry would have recognised her. Malfoy probably went on with some lackluster job at the ministry; he wasnít set for great and extraordinary things.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:11 pm
First Year

1. Draco chose his own destiny. He could have turned his back on his family and his upbringing like Sirius did, but he chose not to.
2. Draco's parents were very demanding, yes. But Sirius's were too. Draco was not brave or motivated enough to go against his parents will.
3. Highly motivated by fear.
4. Draco was used to getting what he wanted even if he had to use threats.
5. Misunderstood. He is not all bad, and neither is his family. He was not a killer, he remains innocent even if not the kindest person in the world.
6. I do not think Draco felt he had a choice but to serve. The only person he thought could protect him died, and he had to try and save his family and himself.
7. Hopefully there will be no need for Draco to save Harry or Ron's live, but it would be nieve to say that the world was rid of all evil when Voldemort died.
8. yep, Pansy

Old July 27th, 2007, 8:14 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Yes, though I believe she also knew from the beginning that he really would not be any good at it.

Quote:
I have never put much stock in the his-daddy-made-him-do-it defense of Draco's poor choices. I believe that this is a side effect of the whole blameless society thing we've got going on where no one has to take responsibility for their actions as long as they can pass the blame on to someone else. In my opinion, there comes a time in every person's life when they really need to stop using their brain, however small it may be, as a paper weight to hold down all the inane notions their parents filled thier head with as a child and go out and find what constitutes right and wrong for themselves. Draco's inability to do this only solidifies my dislike of his character.

Quote:
However unpopular this opinion may be, I believe that Draco truly is making his choices of his own volition, though I believe it is safe to say that both fear and bravado play both a part in his decisions. However, I do not see how a choice made under duress is any a less a legitimate choice--just because one is afraid when it comes time to make an important decision does not mean their fear automatically precludes them from making the correct choice. At the end of Deathly Hallows, it is safe to say that Harry is rather scared of dying, but he offers himself up on a silver platter to Voldemort regardless because it is the only thing that will save the lives of the people he loves.

Quote:
4. Draco has used name-dropping (his fatherís and Voldemortís) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a ďthat donít impress me muchĒ reaction to his attempts.
Wow. Some people actually believe money and status really don't trump merit. Weird. Though I suppose it would be entirely out of the question for Draco to take anything but a dislike of Harry away from this encounter.

Quote:
Part of me wonders why there is even any question about this. I mean, he stepped on another boy's face because he blamed him for his Death Eater father's incarceration for, among other things, breaking into the Ministry of Magic, attempting to steal a highly valuable magical object and assaulting said boy and his six underage friends. Draco is a bully and a coward who can't stand it when he gets a taste of his own treatment.

Quote:
If he regrets anything about his inability to kill Dumbledore it is most likely the fact that, had he actually done it, the pitfall as a result may have been enough to drag the Malfoys out of the rather dire position they find themselves in all throughout the seventh book. Either way, his regrets were not great enough for him to find the courage to actually do anything proactive about his or his family's situation.

Quote:
I've honestly no idea.

Quote:
Draco was never a character whose future I cared for greatly throughout the series, as opposed to, for example, Harry or Ginny, and I saw nothing in him during the seventh book that changed my opinion in any way. I think his actions, on the whole, proved my assessment of his character entirely correct. He is not only weak of character, but spineless and mediocre to the last degree. However reluctant he may be in hindsight to find himself a servant of the Dark Lord, he lacks both the courage and the fortitude of self required to put his neck on the line and flip sides, nor has anything he done throughout the last book proven that he regretted his decision enough to actually get himself out of it. That people thought, going into this book, he would actually turn spy for the Order is beyond me. Draco, entirely unsurprisingly, did and said anything to save his own miserable, and, to me, I suppose it is rather a shame that the character of Draco Malfoy lived to grow old and have a wife and a family when so many braver and more deserving characters got the axe. I would kind of like to know how he and his parents avoided a family stint in Azkaban for, you know, being Death Eaters.

Old July 28th, 2007, 6:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshopelost View Post
Draco was never a character whose future I cared for greatly throughout the series, as opposed to, for example, Harry or Ginny, and I saw nothing in him during the seventh book that changed my opinion in any way. I think his actions, on the whole, proved my assessment of his character entirely correct. He is not only weak of character, but spineless and mediocre to the last degree. However reluctant he may be in hindsight to find himself a servant of the Dark Lord, he lacks both the courage and the fortitude of self required to put his neck on the line and flip sides, nor has anything he done throughout the last book proven that he regretted his decision enough to actually get himself out of it. That people thought, going into this book, he would actually turn spy for the Order is beyond me. Draco, entirely unsurprisingly, did and said anything to save his own miserable, and, to me, I suppose it is rather a shame that the character of Draco Malfoy lived to grow old and have a wife and a family when so many braver and more deserving characters got the axe. I would kind of like to know how he and his parents avoided a family stint in Azkaban for, you know, being Death Eaters.
I think you're right about most of this. He remained weak and pitiful all through the book. Although having Voldemort living in your house and threatening you to do what he wanted can't have been easy. But he doesn't seem to have tried to do anything about it. I thought Narcissa was the only Malfoy to show any spirit in this book.

Draco did surprise me in the RoR though when he tried to rescue Goyle - I'd have expected him to high-tail it through the exit first and leave everyone else to their fate but he didn't. It's the first fragment of decency I remember seeing in Draco.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 28th, 2007, 7:45 am
Second Year

I really don't think so. I think she was implying that Harry and him would be enemys, but i don't think that at that point there was any forshadowing of him joining Voldemort.

I think this might have effected him more then we realize. He was always wanting to impress his father. I think that originally when he joined the death eaters, he was mainly doing it to complete the task and to impress his dad.

I think most of his choices are made out of fear, he did say that he had to kill Dumbledore otherwise he would kill his family. That is something you say out of fear, he was afraid for his and his families life.

4. Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.
ok, i normally understand explanations like this but huh?

I really think he is misunderstood because he has good touches doesn't he? he does help Harry when Harry saved his life and stuff like that. If he was just mean he would still Hate harry and not like to admit that he saved him.

I do not think he regrets anything, i just think he pretends to so Voldemort doesn't kill him.

I think he starts to understand what Harry went through and help them ifthey need help too. It is just a matter of time when the two of them need assistance too and i think that draco will give it.

If Pansey was the wife then we would have heard her name. I think Draco will live a normal life. I dont think he will go to the bad side again. Draco is not stupid, he learns from his mistakes/

Old July 28th, 2007, 11:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I think you're right about most of this. He remained weak and pitiful all through the book. Although having Voldemort living in your house and threatening you to do what he wanted can't have been easy. But he doesn't seem to have tried to do anything about it. I thought Narcissa was the only Malfoy to show any spirit in this book.

Draco did surprise me in the RoR though when he tried to rescue Goyle - I'd have expected him to high-tail it through the exit first and leave everyone else to their fate but he didn't. It's the first fragment of decency I remember seeing in Draco.
He is right, for the most part, nothing in this book contradics you opinion of Draco and indeed why should it, if is motives are already explained in book 6: Lord Voldemort threatened to kill his family if he didn't do as he says. For most people that would be enough to get your complete an utter loyalty, I just feel sorry for loveshopelost's family.

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:02 pm
First Year

Quote:

I quite agree about Narcissa; her courage in Deathly Hallows quite surprised me, as in her cues to her husband and son in the first chapter of the book (squeezing her husband's wrist slightly under the table as an order to comply with the Dark Lord's request for her Lucius's wand and shaking her head almost imperceptably as a silent order for Draco to keep his silence when the Dark Lord speaks to him) and lying to Voldemort about the status of Harry's life at the end of the book. I always knew that she, at the very least, cared whether or not her son lived or died, though I confess Lucius's concern did surprise me slightly. He is not nearly no mercenary as I thought him.

As for Draco's concern for Goyle's life, I agree that is uncharacteristicly decent for him, though not necessarily for anyone who is used to being a good friend. Most people care very much about the safety and wellbeing of their friends, and for Draco to display such a sentiment for the first time in seven whole books is hardly enough to change my opinion of him. To me it comes down to being too little too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
He is right, for the most part, nothing in this book contradics you opinion of Draco and indeed why should it, if is motives are already explained in book 6: Lord Voldemort threatened to kill his family if he didn't do as he says. For most people that would be enough to get your complete an utter loyalty, I just feel sorry for loveshopelost's family.
I would not feel sorry for my family, were I you, for they are a group of people who have done nothing to earn neither my good opinion nor my respect. There is no loss of love between us, though over a decade of unacceptable behaviour on their part towards me may have something to do with this. Quite like Harry, my friends, whom I love very much, are my true family, though I flatter myself that I would rather die to protect them, as Sirius was willing to do for the Potters, than do something I find morally repugnant just to achieve the same result with the added bonus that I would survive as well. I do not believe one should allow the threat of imminent death to make them willing to do any and every thing under the sun.

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:10 pm
Sixth Year

Okay then, let's drop that point. On another issue, you have to understand that the thread of Voldermort is much more real for him, having his arm branded against his will at the age of sixteen, being forced to torture people on his behalf. Wouldn't you be just completely overtaken by fear?

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:18 pm
Second Year

Not at first. Draco was just some spoiled rich kid to start with. It wasn't until we met Lucius that Draco had the chance to be a Death Eater.

Uh, yeah, Lucius expects the best and expects no less than Draco. Hermione surpassing Draco had to wind them up no end.

He obviously thought joining the Death Eaters to avenge his father was the family thing to do. Once he discovered what that entailed, he wanted out. He didn't have the guts to leave, for he knew what would happen.

6. Despite his decision not to kill Dumbledore, Draco continues to serve Voldemort. Do you think he regrets his failure to kill Dumbledore? Do you think he regrets his choices in DH? Draco knows he doesn't have what it takes to be a Death Eater, and is just trying to lay low and stay alive.

7. How do you think Draco's life debt to Harry and Ron might manifest itself in their future. Draco would have to feel gratitude to Ron and Harry for saving his life. He certainly acknowleges it to himself, but wouldn't give them the satisfaction. If anything, it would manifest thru Scorpius, I'm sure Draco has had the opportunity for plenty of "Don't make the mistakes I made" talks with him.

8. What do you think happened to Draco after DH? What might he have done as a profession? Is Pansy the wife we see in the epilogue? I don't think it's Pansy, Harry would've recognized her. They probably had a talk after the battle, with Pansy prattling on about how brave Draco was to serve Voldy, and finally Draco tells her to shut up.

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
Okay then, let's drop that point. On another issue, you have to understand that the thread of Voldermort is much more real for him, having his arm branded against his will at the age of sixteen, being forced to torture people on his behalf. Wouldn't you be just completely overtaken by fear?
But was he branded against his will? When he was boasting about the job Voldemort had given him on the train in HBP he seems pretty pleased about it In fact he only started panicking when he found the cabinet was hard to fix and he thought he might fail in his mission. He seemed proud at first to be selected by Voldemort for the job and he had been taught all his life that Dumbledore was the worst thing that had happened to Hogwarts. He wanted Voldemort to win; it was after all the Ministry not Voldemort who were keeping his father in prison.

I think when he realised he was incapable of killing, he began to be seriously scared - for his family as well as himself. In most of DH he is clearly scared to death - probably not helped by the fact that his father who he had previously worshipped, isn't doing anything to protect him, and in fact seems to be a loser. At that point I think he'd have given it up if he could - there was no glory in being forced by Voldy to torture people. Just fear and humiliation.

But it didn't make him a nicer person, did it? He and his goons come after Harry & co in the RoR and he seems as nasty as usual. And the choices he made were his own choices, and even though we can sympathise with why he made them, they remain poor choices.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References