Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Percy's Reconciliation

Old July 25th, 2007, 10:04 am
First Year

Re: Percy's Reconciliation

I was convinced he would die protecting his father, but instead we lost fred .

I really feel it would have been more fitting if the last thing he did after cracking a joke, we save a member of his family..

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:17 am
First Year

Glad that Percy's reconciliation had such a positive impact on the whole family, especially Fred, when he had accepted Percy for the brother he grew up with. Then Fred had to die..maybe it's like you gain some you lose some.

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:07 am
Fifth Year

Do you think that the Weasleys would've reacted any differently if a major battle wasn't about to take place when Percy came back to apologize?
I think that the family was greatful that Percy came back to join them in fighting for the good. They were probably just happy that he wasn't fighting against him. They were probably more forgiving than if there wasn't a battle about to happen, but not by much.... Mrs. Weasley was waiting for this for a long time.

Did you expect it and did you think he redeemed himself enough to make up for the last two books?
Actually, I completely forgot about Percy in this book! I'm so happy that he came back though, it was a really nice touch, especially right before the final battle. I do believe I cried when he came back, out of happiness though! It was really, truly sad that he had barely an hour with his brother after years of silence before Fred was killed. They were at least acting like there had never been a falling out period, making jokes until Fred's last minute.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:30 am
Second Year

This is the first scene that made me cry... I don't know why but I cried during the scene... tears of joy maybe...

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Fourth Year

Percy came to his senses at the face of true evil. However, I would have rather have him transfigured into the toad that he is and have seen Frec survive

PRICELESS

["I wish we could get our rings tomorrow...Unbelievable—no more going to Yankee Stadium and having to listen to '1918.'"
--Derek Lowe, Red Sox pitcher
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Second Year

I think that the Tiwns knew how arrogant Percy was and for him to admit his failure in front of the family took great guts ensured they forgave him straight away. Even Ron would have, remember when Hermione said that DD told them that to ask for forgiveness is harder when you are wrong, Ron agreed and said that was the kinda of mad thing DD would say.

There is no protection against love once it has chosen to exert its power

HISTORY IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED, HISTORY IS WHAT WAS WRITTEN DOWN!
Old July 25th, 2007, 7:31 pm
Fifth Year

The weasleys are quite a kind understanding lot.They are very close to each other.He did seem sorry,I think it's nice they forgave him(though I honestly wasn't a fan of him after he left).I think Percy will really regret his decision to leave though,he'll have time with the rest of the family but he loss two precious years with Fred.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppitydee View Post
I was glad that Percy came back, I doubted at that point of the story that he ever would

It also comforted me somewhat to know that the last thing Fred knew before he died was that his long lost brother actually made a joke
That's nice.

And it did say he died with a smile on his face, which, if he had to (and apparently he did), seemed more than fitting.

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.
Old July 25th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post

Do you think that the Weasleys would've reacted any differently if a major battle wasn't about to take place when Percy came back to apologize?

Did you expect it and did you think he redeemed himself enough to make up for the last two books?

I can imagine a somewhat different reaction from the Weasleys, had Percy timed his return different. The mere mention of his name causes sour feelings throughout the family - it always stings to think of the son/brother who picked the ministry over his family. Arriving in the heat of the moment (though undoubtedly with good, pure intentions) definitely helped his cause, in my mind.

I was not expecting his return. Sadly I thought he might fall victim to the ministry, especially considering his dangerous position near the minister. In any case, returning to the battle scene to aid his family was wonderful. It might not make up for his few years of ignorance and bad choices, but at least Percy came to his senses in the end.

"CoS is in fact the seventh Horcrux. You've all been tricked by JK.
Harry has to kill this forum in order to be able to finally kill Voldemort.
He should be doing this in about 2 years time."

- Morgoth
Old July 25th, 2007, 8:07 pm
Fifth Year

Clumsy and unconvincing.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Second Year

I didn't expect it, it hoped it, because everything seemed to be rounding itself off, so i thought why not that?

i thought in a way, he did redeem himself enough, he was willing to fight in the battle, and basically put his life on the line for what he seemed to oppose for years, so to me that was reconcilation enough.

i thought it would have been a nice touch for him to die. . . i no it may sound sad and stuff, but it would have sort of made it more emotional especially after they had all just made up.

I think their reactions wouldn't have been any more different, battle or no battle, it was what they wanted all along, so i couldn't see them being stubborn about it.

<3Orlando Bloom<3
Old July 25th, 2007, 8:24 pm
First Year

I was expecting him to make an appearance though it shocked me when Fred died! I had expected Percy to suddenly appear and save a Weasleys life take a bad curse or something and then die with all the family and last words "I'm so sorry" and then Arthur grabs his hand and says " Don't be, Everythings ok now." WAW that's quite dramatic! But maybe a tad too predictable and corny! I think if that would have actually happened we would have been too focused on them and forgotten about Harry v Voldemort! It was good how JK did it though with them all joking together and Freds death but still laughing and smiling . Beautiful.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:36 pm
First Year

That was one glorious moment. And really funny too: first he falls into the room, and then there's this big awkward silence and then people talk about Teddy, and then he roars 'I was a fool!' (and an idiot and a pompous prat, haha!).

I think the whole family would have forgiven him anyway, because they're good people. And because he's acknowledged his own stupidity in no uncertain terms, and apologised. The scene was short, but well-written, and the fact that there was a battle to be fought just made it more intense.

And then in the epilogue he is 'discoursing loudly on broomstick regulations', so Percy is still Percy. Bless him.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:45 pm
Second Year

It was great timing on JKR's part! I do not think the Weasley's would have reacted differently had it been a more peaceful time, like the wedding, but I would have expected the twins to give him a harder time about it then.

I did expect him to come around, and he did redeem himself in my opinion. As Albus said, its hard to apologise when you realize you've been wrong. He came through in the clutch and joined a deadly fight on the correct side.

Mercer
Elf of Old

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Second Year

i thought percys rconciliation was brilliant he called him self a prat i think or something along those lines and he made a joke i think he should have died insted of fred because it would have been more significant. i loved how JK basically reconciled all of the characters we were mad at,.(snape, kreacher, percy)

i love it!
Old July 26th, 2007, 1:01 am
Sixth Year

I loved the book, but I thought Percy's reconciliation was a bit cheesy. It just seemed to me that he was just a jerk before that he'd have to do more than say "I'm sorry" to make it better again. But other people saying they liked it means I was wrong, I guess.

~ ars longa, vita brevis ~

Eukaryota Animalia Chordata Aves Ciconiiformes Ardeidae Butorides virescens
Old July 26th, 2007, 1:05 am
Fourth Year

I knew he'd come back and appologize to his family. After all the horrible stuff thats happened at the Ministry, there reaches a point where you realize how wrong you were and that you have to say your sorry.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:06 am
First Year

I was never fond of Percy, but I am so thrilled that he came to his senses right before
Spoiler: show
Fred dies.
It was perfect, and that way, the family was whole for one more time.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:06 am
Arithmancer

I loved that part in the story. I seen it coming though but....I had actually forgot about Percy. Is that like totally bad or what? There had been no mention of him before then, no that I can remember anyway so when Percy showed up I was like "OMG....I totally forgot about Percy"
I like the makeup scene because really that's how it usually works out in situation like that.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:19 am
Banned

I don't think Percy deserved it, to be honest. If anything, he should have died for Fred. That would have proved his sincerity. Why should Fred, who had always been true and loyal not only to his family, but to Harry as well, die? But it of course, reminds me of why I love the Weaslys! They took him back because he was family, even if he didn't really deserve it.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone