Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:20 am
Mouse

Severus Snape: Character Analysis.

The thread we've been waiting for. Severus Snape was probably the most controversial of the pre-DH speculation and while much has been cleared up there still remain questions to be answered. I'll start with a few discussion questions and we'll let the discussion proceed from there.

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

2. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Volemort had targetted with the prophecy?

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

6. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?

7. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

9. Did Snape fully redeem himself in your eyes? In Harry's?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Last edited by Jessica; July 23rd, 2007 at 6:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:47 pm
First Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
The thread we've been waiting for. Severus Snape was probably the most controversial of the pre-DH speculation and while much has been cleared up there still remain questions to be answered. I'll start with a few discussion questions and we'll let the discussion proceed from there.

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Volemort had targetted with the prophecy?

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Wow, so many questions. I'll just say this for now:

After reading DH, it all seems to make sense. I have a new respect for Snape, whereas before I wanted him to die a most gruesome death. I now realize what Snape and Sirius had in common: Snape despised Harry for the exact same reason Sirius loved him: They both saw James in Harry. Snape hated James, so he hated Harry, or rather, hated the fact that he was James' son and not his, and hated Harry as the living reminder of his loss. Sirius loved James, and sought to continue his friendship through Harry as a proxy for the friend he lost.

Ever notice that Snape rarely looks directly into Harry's eyes? They're a constant source of pain. Snape is really the most tragic figure of the series.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm
First Year

Severus Snape truly did redeem himself in my eyes...this, however, is partly because i have always trusted him and he has always been my favourite character. I believe that Severus redeemed himself in Harry's eyes because Harry has matured so much in this book that he is able to forgive. I think that Harry probably saw how much courage and love it took for Severus to go to Dumbledore and show the remorse he felt for causing Voldemort to go after Lily. Though he is still, even after death, not a flawless character, i believe (as harry does) that Severus Snape showed incredibly bravery by switching sides to help the Order. Despite the fact that he was essentially solely motivated by his love for lily, he still, in a sense, made greater sacrifices than any of the other characters. The humanity in Severus Snape is finally fully revealed when we see the magnitude of his undying love for Lily Potter. After all, it was love that "conquered" Voldemort.
When it comes to the fact Severus was in Slytherin, i fully agree with Dumbledore. Had Hogwarts decided to sort later, i believe that Severus would have ended up a gryffindor. It is our choices that make us who we are, Severus chose Slytherin because of the biased view he had been raised with. By postponing sorting until later in students lives, Severus would have been able to understand what his personal feelings were regarding the four houses. Who knows, if this had been the way Hogwarts was, Snape may well have been Harry's father (or harry would just not exsist).

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:01 am
Seventh Year

It really doesn't affect my view of either of these events.

We don't know what familial influences he may have had, aside from apparent neglect on the part of his parents. He was probably ridiculed by any muggle children that grew up around him and he appears to have been in some way indoctrinated into the idea of pureblood supremacy and Slytherin house (maternal grandparents, perhaps), not to mention watching his father and mother argue all the time (and probably being told it was all his muggle father's fault). He seems to have a poor understanding of house traits (Slytherin = brainy, Gryffindor = brawny), as well.

I had thought before, and am now convinced, that there was a definite "tough love" aura to it. I also believe it was amplified by Snape's feelings of guilt and remorse.

I think he was very brave.

I think her death started him down the road to being a good person.

He is incredibly brave and quite protective of the students. He also doesn't deal well with emotional "stuff" and is somewhat harsh.

Yes, it seems quite obvious that he did.

I think he would have done well in Gryffindor and I think his life may have been different, but given his treatment on the train by James and Sirius, I'm not sure how much different.

Yes.

I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth ~ Janeane Garofalo
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:18 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius?

I think it all makes a lot of sense now. Looking at how devoted he was (sleeping outside the Gryffindor Common Room, dwelling place of the Marauders!? Wow....), the whole Shrieking Shack scene is very clear. No wonder he went temporarily psycho. It reminds me of mother Molly screaming her head off at Bellatrix.
I think love is a good motivation for him. After all, many of the characters are motivated by and find solace in love. When Harry opened the resurrection stone and saw his loved ones again, it allowed him to find peace. And I think that's exactly the effect looking into Harry's eyes had on Snape as Snape was dying.

When he was a child, he seemed neglected, unloved. No wonder he had a greedy look on his face as he watched someone who he must have felt a kinship with.
Like Lupin, who was also an outcast, when he found other friends, I think he was willing to believe and go along with anything they did and said, even try to blend in. After a bit, I assume he really began to adopt the bloodist principles of the junior DEs....but Lily was the exception.
I think that once Snape lost Lily, he spent more and more time with the junior DEs until he followed them into the service of the Dark Lord.

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of
Harry and Neville throughout the series?

Actually, it hasn't much.

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targetted with the prophecy?

I'll agree with Dumbledore that it was wrong of Snape to ask Voldemort to kill Harry but spare Lily. However, I should give him props for meeting with Dumbledore and offering to do "Anything" to keep all of the Potters alive.

I think it made him more determined than ever to uphold her memory and keep Harry safe.

Same as I've always believed, really: Good is his loyalty, love, and bravery. Bad: His rudeness, unwillingness to see much good in Harry (until much later ) and extreme impatience.

Yes. Though he tried to cover it up by conjuring the Doe Patronus, I think his words before betrayed him. If he didn't care about Harry, he wouldn't have reacted to hearing that Harry would die.

I actually think Slytherin fits somewhat: "Those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends". That doesn't have to apply to selfish ends. Snape did everything he could to fulfill his purpose in the grand scheme of things.
Though, really, he could have fit anywhere. He has cunning, intelligence, bravery, and loyalty.

Well, since Harry named one of his kids after Severus and called him "the bravest man I ever knew", I'd say that Harry appreciates all that Snape did for him.
As for me...Do you even have to ask!?

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; July 24th, 2007 at 12:23 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:37 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

I posted on another thread this evening, about Snape's relationship with Lily, but I guess my thoughts are more relevant here. More to do with Snape himself. When he lay dying, with Harry at his side, he gave out his memory, and said "Look at me." Some have taken that to mean look at me so that in dying I can gaze once more into Lily's eyes, but I don't read it like that at all.

I see Jo saying look at me, look at my memories, look at my life, who I am, look at all of my life, how I have been Dumbledre's man (through and through!) all this time. Look at me, understand me.

I think Harry did, in the end.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:44 am
Second Year

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius?

I suspected that this was the way he killed Dumbledore anyway (and it was interesting twist that DD was going to die anyway!!), but i think his treatment of Sirius would have been the same regardless of his love for Lily, his treatment of James may have been different though!

He was a powerful wizard who appeared to be wholly unsatisfied with the status quo- the Dark side may have offered him the opportunity to use his powers fully. As DD showed, people can do stupid things when they are young!

I wish Snape had seen more of Lily in Harry than James- it seemed from day one of Hogwarts he disliked him. But perhaps it was easier to dislike Harry and not have any contact than have to look into his eyes

And Neville- well i think he was justbeing a bit of a prat here

I wish he had cared for James and Harrys life as much as he did for Lily

I think it made him realise the gravity of his actions, being a DE and fighting for Voldemort for a change- His behaviour from this point foward (minus of course his treatment of Harry) appears to be attempts to redeem himself- re: helping out DD etc.

Im going to have to re-read the series and get back to you on this one. Im currently still in the mindset he only cared about lily-but id love to think he cared for Harry too!

I think Snape had the cunning aspect about him that was suited to Slytherin-from the first moment he didnt get along with James and Sirius who were in Gryffindor, and so being in Slytherin would have allowed him at least some peace and quiet! Perhaps he would have made different choices in another House, but in the end he made the right choice

Yes and Yes

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:55 am
Second Year

The revelations have affected my views on Snape deeply, of course!

He seemed like a non-human to me, like Voldemort. I suspected him to have Horcruxes! He didn't seem to be a feeling being at all!

Now, I see him as the most tragic person, to be pitied beyond words:
WHAT ABOUT MY SOUL, DUMBLEDORE? He was also shocked that Harry had to die and Dumbledore didn't seem to care.... this explains the look of hatred when he murderes Dumbledore.

A PROOF HE DIDNT'T BELONG TO SLYTHERIN: he told Lily it didn't matter that she was muglle-born. This truly tore my heart: How can he have become what he became afterwards, I wondered at that point.
He was innocent, neglected, not able to hide his feelings and he turned into a cold occlumens who lived behinf´d a mask of stone.

Now think about it: Snape lived without joy for ever after Lily's death. Can you imagine him ever laughing freely again after this? And for 1 whole year he didn't ven have Dumbledore - no one to talk to at all, unable to show he was still good: staying at Hogwarts and feeling the hatred of the good side, of McGonnagal, etc.

He must have been the lonliest man that ever lived and he is as different from Voldemort as Harry is, nearly.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:57 am
Master Seer

I doesn't affect them in any way, it merely backs up what I've been thinking about him before DH, too.

Astonishingly, there's often not much solidarity among the outcasts. Severus was an outcast, in his childhood, as the son of a muggle in pureblood House Slytherin... Picking on mudbloods gave him the chance not to see himself at the bottom of the food chain any longer. And it drove him to be acquainted with people like Avery, and since he was said to be so gifted with curses even as a First Year, I'd suspect they paid him lots of recognition for his talent at least. Lily was no longer there, and he must have been craving for something to belong to, to be accepted.

I did think his treatment of these two in particular was rooted in his past, James' and Lily's son on the one hand, and on the other the one boy that could have been in Harry's place, in which case Lily would be alive still...

Erm... what do you mean?

I think it was the worst moment in his entire life - the guilt, the sadness, the despair.

His intelligence, his fierce loyalty, his incredible bravery, his self-denial, his sense of humour when he had the chance ('Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?'), his ability to love, and stick to this love no matter what - that were his great fortes. The greatest flaw that I see was also the one enabling him to pull through the game, so I don't know if it IS that much of a weakness... JKR said that Draco was such a good Occlumens because he was capable of compartementalising. Severus was such a good Occlumens, he could fool Voldemort himself, and not only there, but also in his behaviour towards Harry, we see how good he was in compartementalising. But it also made him have such difficulties with building up satisfying human relationships.

Yes, I think he did. Grudgingly, slowly, starting with the kind of care that nurses give - protection, a technical care. But by and by, and seeing Harry's awful memories in OotP at the latest, I really do believe he did care deeply about him, in the 'real' way.

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere? Yes, I actually do think that Slytherin - for those cunning folks who know how to achieve their end - was a very suitable house for the man who manages over the course of almost twenty years, to keep everyone fooled.

9. Did Snape fully redeem himself in your eyes? In Harry's? He needed no redemption in my eyes, and as for Harry - yes, I believe so, or he wouldn't have named his son after him, and say 'and the was the bravest man I ever knew'.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

Well, it shows that he had noble reasons behind all his actions. He was a very volatile person; his actions towards Harry/Sirius were understandable, especially seeing as Harry looks exactly like the person whom stole Snape's one true love.

Just following his friends from Slytherin, honestly.

I've explained my Harry/Snape views, though he was rather unnecessarily rude to Neville.

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?

Saw it from a mile away. Wouldn't expect anything less.

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death? How do you think this death has affected his character?

Well, he obviously despised Voldemort. Probably hated himself for letting her die hating him.

Pros: Bravery, loyalty.
Cons: Holds a grudge, fell in with the wrong crowd.

No further then the fact that he was Lily's son.

I do think he was meant to be in Slytherin.

If he were in Gryffindor he would have stomped with the Marauders undoubtedly. He probably would’ve gotten Lily, too.

Mostly redeemed, yes. Definitely in Harry's, seeing as he named his kid after Snape. (Albus Severus Potter)

Last edited by Blix; July 24th, 2007 at 1:30 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
I posted on another thread this evening, about Snape's relationship with Lily, but I guess my thoughts are more relevant here. More to do with Snape himself. When he lay dying, with Harry at his side, he gave out his memory, and said "Look at me." Some have taken that to mean look at me so that in dying I can gaze once more into Lily's eyes, but I don't read it like that at all.

I see Jo saying look at me, look at my memories, look at my life, who I am, look at all of my life, how I have been Dumbledre's man (through and through!) all this time. Look at me, understand me.

I think Harry did, in the end.
I completely agree with you, not to say that I don't think he wanted to see Lily, I just think that there was multiple meaning to the line.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:16 am
Second Year

OMG the reason Snape treated Neville like **** is because he wishes that neville was attacked instead of HArry so that Lily would still be alive!!!

OMG OMG oMG ONG

this is baby E signing off
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:21 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Well, it doesn't affect mine at all. I believed that was the reason behind his remorse and his work for Dumbledore, so my opinion has remained the same.

I believe he became a Death Eater much in the way Draco did, with similar results. I believe that Bellatrix's taunting him about never taking serious risks or jobs refers back to before she was imprisoned, and thus when he was still new to the Death Eater bit. I think he had lost Lily's friendship and he decided he would rather belong than not, but found he bit off more than he could chew.

They don't too much, really. One of my brothers is remarkably like Snape in personality and temperament, and it really is not a stretch for me to see the reasons behind his treatment of them. I think that it was hard for Snape to be around Harry, but that also at the same time he kind of wanted to. We saw that to look into Harry's eyes was to look into Lily's eyes for him, and that must have been very painful. I think he carried around a lot of guilt and used displacement and projection to avoid having to deal with it himself. as for Neville, I think that he was so hard on him because he just seemed to slink into the background and never really stood up for himself. Honestly, I think he saw bits of himself he loathed in Neville and tried to punish it out of him.

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Voldemort had targeted with the prophecy?
I had a feeling that those had been his actions. Like I said, I have a brother who is a lot like him. He may be willing to help after he has done something bad, but he will not admit to having ever done something reproachful. I grew up with it, so it's easy for me to understand the reasoning and emotions behind it.

I think after her death, a bit of him died, too. I think that a lot of him stopped caring about a lot of things, including those things that had caused him to become a Death Eater in the first place. I believe it made him a better person in the long run because everything he did after was to try and help correct his mistake.

His major flaws to me are impatience, cutting himself off from his emotions, and an unwillingness to compromise. His strengths are an intense loyalty to those he chooses to befriend (including DD after the targeting of Lily), a need to protect people (I think this came about as a result of wanting to protect people from the results of his own past mistakes that he was unable to), and the ability to love deeply.

Yes. I think that his outburst when Dumbledore told him Harry would be dying shows some of that to us, as well as his choices to protect Harry rather than send a little curse his way. I also highly doubt that a person like Snape would take so much time to instruct (albeit in a less than desirable fashion) someone if they didn't truly care about them.

I think at the time he was sorted he was perfect to be in Slytherin. However, I also think if the sorting could have taken place later, he may have found himself in another house. I think that after some time in Hogwarts away from the influence of anyone telling him purebloods were better, he may have done what Sirius did and come to loathe Slytherin house.

Yes and yes. What I had expected to happen did, so there wasn't really a need for redemption in my eyes. And I believe that Harry naming his child after the "bravest man" he ever knew says more than I could on the subject.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:33 am
Fifth Year

I expected it to be revealed that Snape had been in love with Lily. It really didn't change how I viewed him. How he treated Harry and others as an adult is how I viewed him and what made my impressions of him.

Because it was easy being evil, easier then being good and he felt he could not be the kind of person Lily was or Lily needed to have in her life.

It made me think even less of Snape. He knew what it was like to be treated badly (by James and Sirius specifically) and it showed that he never truly grew up. He remained the same mean spirited boy who hurt his best friend by calling her a mud blood.

Dumbeldores words are exactly how I felt upon reading it:

Quote:
"You disgust me," said Dumbledore, and Harry had never heard so much contempt in his voice. Snape seemed to shrink a little. "You do not care, then, about the deaths of her husband and child? They can die, as long as you have what you want?"
If Snape honestly thought Lily would be grateful that he managed to save her life and allowed her son and husband to die Snape was sadly mistaken. If Snape truly loved Lily he would have wanted her happy and her being with James and Harry was what made her happy. Without them she had nothing and being with Snape would not have happened. She would have hated him even more then she did when he called her a mud blood.

I don't see that it changed him for the better. If anything it made him even more cruel and vindictive. Just look at how he treated Harry and Neville who were innocent of anything that had ever happened to Snape when he was younger.

His major strength was that he allowed Dumbledore to use him because he felt guilty for Lily's death. His flaws are to vast to list but I will go with his biggest flaw being that he was a self centered jerk.

Nope, his hatred for James and Harry looking like James was to much for Snape to get past. Snape never grew up.

It's possible but highly unlikely. Just by being in another house does not guarantee you will not betray your friends, look at Wormtail.

Not in my eyes, not at all. I actually dislike him even more now. In Harry's eyes? Obviously since *gag* Harry named his second child Albus Severus and said Snape was the bravest man he ever knew. Yea he was so brave Harry he didn't care that James died and he would have prefered you die in order for your Mother to live.

"How do you feel, Georgie?" whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head. "Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him?" croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey. Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear related humor before you, you go for holey?"

Be kind, use the Search Engine|Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:34 am
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

Before I have the energy to properly respond, I'd like to add something. I believe Snape joined the Death Eaters because of the way his muggle father treated his mother. DH implied that Snape's father really was a foul being, and is probably responsible for most of Snape's 'lacking' as a person.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:51 am
Arithmancer

A lot of questions here but I'll take a stab at answering them.

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius? It doesn't effect my view on him and his actions. I figured there was a reason for his actions. I believe that his murder of Dumbledore was out loyality. He was loyal to Dumbledore and he promised that if the time came he would do it. He did it and I believe he actually felt remorse. As for Sirius...Sirius was James best friend and had a hand in the treatment that James handed out to Snape while they were in school together. James also marrying Lily had a hand in how Snape treated Sirius.

2. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater? I believe Snape needed a place to belong, something to believe in and fight for. I don't believe that he really felt Voldemort's hatred and "rule the world" view but I believe he needed somewhere to belong and to be wanted. Maybe he felt he had nothing to lose since he didn't have Lily.

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series? Again I believe that Snape seen Harry as James son. Not so much Lily's son because he seen all the bad things in James in Harry. And maybe he blamed Harry for living while Lily died. Neville I believe he seen as weak. He needed someone to take his hatred of James out on, he needed somewhere to direct his anguish and his pain of living and I believe that Snape really did suffer a lot and directing all those emotions at them maybe helped him in some small way to cope.

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Volemort had targetted with the prophecy? It's fitting of someone who is in love with someone else. He took action to try and stop what was going to happen. He had no idea what Voldemort's interpretations of the Prophecy would lead to and he showed true remorse. He wanted it undone.

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character? Truely I believe he wanted Voldemort's downfall after that. He never went to look for him after he "apparently" died.
As far as the affect it had on his character. I believe he suffered great pain, great anguish and a lot of hatred towards those who caused her death, himself included. Perhaps he loathed himself for what he did and the hand he had in her death.

6. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws? Bravery and loyality his strengths. His flaws, his inability to cope with his emotions and his treatment of others.

7. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry? Yes I do and he fought it. I think he hated himself because he cared.

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere? Good questions. I believe the choices you make influence where and what you do. Had he done as Harry did and made a choice, perhaps his path in life would have been different.

9. Did Snape fully redeem himself in your eyes? In Harry's? Yes on both accounts

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:51 am
Sixth Year

I feel there is much we have to learn about Snape. I plan to reread the series one day, but try to focus on Snape and see things from his perspective this time.

We see everything from Harry's point of view, but it is possible, to read between the lines now, knowing what we know. Snape was very snotty to James and Sirius, but they had provoked him. In his mind, he had already won Lily, she was his first friend and really only friend.

I don't really count Dumbledore as a friend, because in many ways he used Snape. Snape had asked to be used, however. This was a part of his forgiveness and redemption progress. In the end I think they may have become friends. But it was also more like a business arrangement than a close friendship where two people meet just to enjoy being with one another. I just can't see Snape and Dumbledore really enjoying one another's company. They both had a goal to meet, but it is hard to see that they were real friends.

James and his friends may not have practiced Dark Arts, but I am not so sure about that. They copied some of Snape's spells, that he had invented, and they took credit for them. I think James and Sirius may have been just as bad as Snape as children, they just didn't get caught, they just put their toe over the line now and then without fully crossing over it. They knew how much they could get away with. Anyway, they eventually grew up, and Lily found something to love in James. Snape really never "grew up" but he didn't have any friends to help him get over his anger and regret. To fully develop and mature, I think people really need friends.

I think he longed to fit in, to feel special, to have something to impress Lily with, but it backfired. Maybe he even wanted to be her Savior, so he was helping to bring about this new world order knowing she would NEED him when Voldemort was rounding up Mudbloods.

He knew Lily was a "mudblood" but he thought it wouldn't really matter. He thought he could have her and his death eater life style. Maybe he figured if he was loyal to Voldemort he could have Lily anyway, he could protect her and she would be spared. Maybe he didn't even know how bad it would be. Maybe he never imagined the terrible things Voldemort was capable of. Maybe he thought the muggles and mudbloods wouldn't have it so bad under Voldemort. Anyway, he'd have Lily, and that is all he could think of. He could be her savior and protector. He could just use his power to tell everyone she was a pure blood and they would believe it, because of his great power. Lily would always need him to do this for her, and he'd never lose her. He wanted too much. He wanted power but also wanted Lily. He couldn't have both.

He was still a jerk to them. He couldn't offer them any kindness at all. Maybe he forgot how to be kind after he lost Lily. Her death could have shut him down emotionally.

Maybe he was mean because he didn't want them to love him. Some of it may have been put on, as part of the game, too. He had to appear to hate Harry and his friends because Voldemort would suspect something if he ever showed any kindness to anyone. He had to appear to have the same views as Voldemort. So maybe he didn't mean all of it.

Remember, he had to let people DIE in front of him, he couldn't show any compassion or try to help even as the Muggle's studies teacher died in front of him! As people died around him, he could not react or all would be lost. He had to harden his heart to anyone or anything that could blow his cover.

So he is a complex character. I do think he meant some of the insults, as he WAS bitter, but maybe some of it was put on as well, as part of the game.

He was afraid of love and couldn't love, I think. He was mean to everyone because that was who he HAD to be. After a while that was not only who he HAD to be but also who he had BECOME. He had hardened his heart because he had to and also because he wanted to. He really didn't have a lot of choice. If he was nice to anyone, it was because he had something to gain from it, or that was what he let Voldemort believe. Maybe he did enjoy showing some moments of kindness when he could, but he had to make it seem like it was necessary and he didn't enjoy it much. He couldn't even enjoy the parties at Hogwarts. He had to act bored and disinterested with it all.

I don't think he was ever really nice to anyone because if he was, they might like him, and then he'd lose them, and he couldn't stand to lose anyone else. I think he wouldn't and couldn't let himself love anyone after he had lost Lily.

So I say some of the insults were just part of the game. In actuality, he may have actually liked some of his students, he could never ever show it, however.

He was selfish, he wanted Lily. He didn't care about Harry or James. When Dumbledore called him out on his selfishness, he made him realize he'd never have them. He could have left then. He had asked Dumbledore not to kill him, but let him deliver his request, and Dumbledore wasn't going to kill him anyway. Once Dumbledore told him how selfish he was, and how disgusted he was with him, I think he could have just disappeared then if he had wanted. But he still wanted to help Lily, so he told Dumbledore he'd do anything if it meant Lily could live. He realized he'd just lost her forever, but at least she'd be alive. So he agreed to help Dumbledore knowing the rest of his life he'd be a double agent. I think he shut down after this. He'd never love anyone again.

I think it was like he was half alive after Lily died. He would never be happy again.

His flaws was that after he loved and lost Lily, he could never love anyone again. He became bitter, regretful, but very very good at hiding his feelings from Voldemort and everyone else. He hid his feelings from everyone, until he had nothing left to offer but a sour attitude that drove everyone away from him, repulsed by him. Which I think, is what he wanted.

In the end, yes, I KNOW he cared. He wanted forgivness. He wanted to share his memories. He didn't have to share anything other than Dumbledore saying that Harry was a Horcrux. That was the important bit. That was all Harry needed.

He only had to share a little bit of information with Harry. Just a little. But he poured out basically everything he had to Harry. He had to love Harry to do that. He revealed his whole self to him, and wanted to look Harry in the eye as he died. He wanted forgiveness and love at last.

Maybe if he had wanted to, he could have been sorted in to another house.
Maybe if they had waited a while before sorting, he would have been sorted into a different house, if he had been, we wouldn't have had the same story at all.

There may not be a Harry Potter at all. Maybe Snape would have filled Harry's shoes, or Neville. I believe someone would have stepped up and stopped Voldemort in the end. He'd have gone down in the end. As we see, anyone could destroy his other horcruxes. So if Harry hadn't have been around, he'd have made another object into one. Someone would have learned about what Voldemort had done and someone would have stopped him. Perhaps Snape and Voldemort and Neville or some other students together would have done it.

Anyway, Snape and Lily may have gotten together, under different circumstances. Snape would have done anything for Lily, I think, once he was sure of her love for him in return.
If he'd ever really been shown true love, I think it would have changed him completely. I am not sure his mother and father loved him.

He was shown friendship, and he was never the same. If he'd never had Lily as a friend, I can see him being even more than simply a jerk. He'd have happily served Voldemort and who knows what might have happened. Voldemort might have won, because he'd have had Snape helping him. A Snape very much like him, who had never been loved. A Snape that may have destroyed Voldemort, and gone own to become the next Dark Lord.

If Snape had never had Lily for a friend, it would have been different for Snape. So if he had had Lily as simply a friend, and it changed him, imagine if she had actually loved him in return! I think he'd have been capable of being a more loving person, Lily would have shown him how to love.

But in the end, she at least taught him how to be a friend.

I think so. He didn't die with his secrets, but poured out everything he had to Harry. He didn't have to share everything, but I don't think he held anything back.

I think when someone truly wants forgiveness and redemption, they should have it, as they feel true remorse. It can be hard to learn to love and forgive, it takes some people their whole lives to learn to love and forgive. Some people never learn it at all, and for othersit seems they are born with it and are the most loving people you will ever meet. It can be the most beautiful thing in the world to show love and forgiveness and a great healing relief for some to finally get it. I think he wanted it and I think he did get it in the end from Harry. From me. Maybe not from everyone, but some people never learn to forgive and forget, and that is THEIR problem, not Snape's. He did his part by wanting to be forgiven. It is up to other people if they want to forgive him or not, but he did his part in asking.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Or face the wrath of the four-legged duckling of dooooom!

Severus Snape= Pauses Nerves
Deathly Hallows= The old hallways
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:03 am
Third Year

Well it doesn't change a thing for me because I ALWAYS knew it. He didn't even kill Dumbledore. Dumbledore killed himself with his greed to get the hallow. I don't think he treated Sirius bad so I can't really answer that question.

I think he was always attracted to it but his conversation with lily under tree showed me that he knew it was bad. When he was placed in Slytherin he was placed with people who encouraged him to do those things and made small business of it. He began to take it as a joke when he was younger he said it was bad stuff and that's why they went to Azkaban.

I think it was partly tough love.

I've heard people saying he was selfish but it is Snape we are talkign about. He never had love in his life and when he saw Lily he wanted her for himslef even from the age of nine. In his head it was always him and Lily not Him, Lily, James and Harry. He thought that Lily should have been his. I don't think Harry being alive would have been a comfort to him because he was all about Lily and Harry is definately not Lily.

I think he would have killed himself if Albus didn't convince him to help keep Hary safe. It was obvious from the patronus that life was torture for him and he wanted to die.

That he was fareless. He was able to risk so much because he really didn't care what happended to him. His flaw was naturally that he couldn't express his emotions. He kept is in for so long and never told even Lily how he felt.

This is a hot topic that maybe deserves a tread of its own. I've heard a lot of Nos but I think he did. He could have told Harry what he ahd to do without telling Harry that he loved his mother. You see him and Harry were the last two people alive who had pure, totally pure love for Lily. The way Harry was some how attracted to doe because it was so pure, like his love for Lily. So he must have realised that harry was more like Lily than James at that point.

But even before that he sent Ginny, Luna and Neville for detention in the forest with Hagrid. That was such a soft punishment. I think he did that because he knew how much Harry cared about Ginny.

I think the book hinted that he was supposed to be in Gryffindor. Only a gryffindor can obtain the sword, yet he was able to take it out of his resting place. Dumbledore had to tell him to think up on the gryffindor side of him first but he was able to take it without problems. Then there's the the Dumbeldore telling him that they may have sorted too soon.

And also the hats give you a chance to choose. He wanted to be in Slytherine because the thougght it was the brainy house, which is Ravenclaw even. He really didn't know that much about the house before he decided which one he wanted to be in. So he doomed himself to be in Slytherine. I think if he hadn't choosen Slytherine he would have been placed in Gryffindor. Harry described him as the bravest man he ever knew.

Yes In my eyes and I think in Harry's. Harry named his son after him, the one that had his eyes, hence Lily's eyes and then payed him the ultimate compliment by aknowledging that he was a legit headmaster of the school and saying he was brave after years of calling him a coward, pathetic and whatever else he could think of.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:33 am
Second Year

It doesn't really change my view of Dumbledore's murder - I always suspected that there was something more to it than what we saw in HBP, and I think I'd been waiting until DH to make my final judgement. His treatment of Sirius, however, I now see differently. While I think that a part of it was Snape holding onto a school-boy grudge (c'mon, he's still far from perfect), I think another part was a form of jealousy over Sirius's friendship with Lily - I think the scene in which Snape is holding the letter in Sirius's room is an example of this.

I think that losing Lily's friendship after the Mudblood incident was the end for him. I think that he felt alone, and that the only place that he fit in was with the Death Eaters. He'd always had a soft spot for the Dark Arts, and with the only friends that he had left delving deeper and deeper into them, I think Severus made a choice to join them. I believe that he felt that he had nothing left to lose once he'd lost Lily.

I think that he felt torn, especially when it came to Harry. Imagine how difficult it would be for him, looking into James' face, the boy he detested, and seeing Lily's eyes, the girl he loved, staring back at him. It would have been torture. I think that he had somewhat lost his ability to differentiate in the end, and his desire to belittle and humiliate James was turned on to Harry.

As for Neville, I'm not sure. As far as I'm aware, Snape has nothing against the Longbottoms, so I can't think of any particular reason for the treatment of Neville.

I think they were the actions of a desperate man. He was beside himself with worry, and horror, over what he'd done. I think Snape would have agreed to anything that Dumbledore had asked of him, as long as Dumbledore had promised to keep Lily safe.

I truly think that a part of Snape died when Lily did. I agree with what others have said - had it not been for Dumbledore's insistance that he protect Harry, I believe that Snape would have killed himself. Her death was the moment that he stopped truly living.

His bravery is above all his greatest strength. As for his major flaw? His inability to express emotion.

Yes, I believe so. I think he needed forgiveness from Harry in the end - he was Lily's son, and so forgiveness from Harry would be the closest thing to forgiveness from Lily herself. I think the fact that he shared his memories with Harry, so that Harry could truly understand the situation, demonstrates this.

I think that in the end he proved that the Sorting Hat's decision doesn't have to be the be all and end all. He was a Slytherin, and yet he acted with the bravery of a Gryffindor; look at Wormtail - a Gryffindor who acted like a Slytherin on more than one occasion. I think Snape proves that there is no black and white in the Sorting process, as you're dealing with human characterists which can constantly change.

Yes, absolutely. I believe the fact that Harry named his son Albus Severus proves this.

Last edited by *Jess*; July 24th, 2007 at 9:41 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:50 am
Queen of Apathy

I had suspected for a long time that he loved Lily. It doesn't really change them at all.

I would say there were many factors. A feeling of acceptance is probably the main one.

It really hasn't changed. Snape is not a lovey dovey person and it is clear that he ultimately wanted what was best even if he didn't know how to show it.

I think that was Snape's turning point in the series.

I think it affected him majorly and I think he has carried the guilt and remorse for years. Lily's death was the turning point in his life making him a better person.

Snape's strengths are his courage,loyalty and his love. His flaws are his harshness.

Absolutely even if he never admitted it to himself.

I am not sure where Snape should have been sorted. I think he has qualities of both houses. I think his life may have been easier in Gryffindor as far as his relationship with Lily goes.

Of course. Harry acknowledges it in naming his son as well as fondly remembering Snape as the bravest man he ever knew.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References