Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

R.A.B. Revealed

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:01 am
First Year

Re: R.A.B. Revealed.

I wasn't really surprised. I almost wanted it to be someone different because the consensus was that it was Regulus...but the way Jo had him finding out was genius

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:03 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunagranger View Post
honstly speaking I thought it would have been some one else..because Regulus just seemed too obvious....but anyways..its good sometimes obvious things can be correct too!
I think the Regulus thing was intentionally made obvious, because the Diadem Horcrux came out of absolutely nowhere.

The Diadem was JKR's compensation for making RAB so obvious.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:19 am
Third Year

it's too bad that sirius didn't know the truth about regulus before he died...not that kreacher would have told him...he was banned from telling anybody in the family.

in addition to regulus turning against LV, i wonder that he took the potion himself and spared kreacher...it would have been easy for him to have kreacher drink it and then call him out like he did previously. maybe he knew that his life was forfeit anyway after rebelling against LV...or maybe his life was already in danger?

Last edited by Pigleto972001; July 24th, 2007 at 6:22 am.
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Fifth Year

It's kind of ironical but for a large part of their lives both Regulus and Draco lead extremely similar lives. They were both broughh up to believe that they were better than the rest. They were both brainwashed by their familiy's prejudice against half bloods and muggles. They both join Lord Voldemort but are soon faced with the bitter realization that life as a Death Eater isn't what they want.
However contradictory to Sirius' belief Regulus is a much stronger charecter than Draco ever was. He had the spirit and strenght to fight for what he believed in. The fact that Regulus drank the potion and did not force Kreatcher to drink it was admirable.
Maybe if he had approached Sirius for help life would have been easier on both of them.

I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I AM UPTO NO GOOD
To Jo-
For the hours of crying and laughing.
The intense discussions the theorizing.
For the friends we've made and the life lessons learnt
Thank you for everything. It means the world and what lies beyond.
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Second Year

It was quite obvious, since it was mentioned that Regulus Black chickened out and escaped from Voldemort, it already provided enough clues to assume that RAB is indeed Regulus.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:25 pm
First Year

I knew this from the first RAB was mentioned in HBP and figured out the Hrcrux straight away as well. This is how I think JKR intended it.

However, I love how she never lets us take it for granted. We knew it, but I never would have guessed how we would find out or the twist in the plot that would result. As always, taking us where we expected to go but surprising us when we get there, nevertheless.

One of my favourite parts of the last battle was the House Elves being led from the kitchen by Kreacher yelling, "For my Master! And for Master Regulus!". That was just wonderful.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
I think the Regulus thing was intentionally made obvious, because the Diadem Horcrux came out of absolutely nowhere.

The Diadem was JKR's compensation for making RAB so obvious.
The diadem wasn't completely obvious, but knowing how Jo works I had a gut feeling that that tiara in the RoR was the final Horcrux. I just couldn't imagine going into the 7th book without all the clues in place, and, well, the way she mentioned the tiara in HBP seemed too convenient.........

My theory on why RAB turned on Voldy is simple. We find out that Regulus appeared to actually care about Kreacher. One of Voldemort's greatest downfalls was his inability to see the importance of beings that he felt were beneath him. House elves were tools.......nothing more.

When Regulus volunteered Kreacher, I don't think he had any idea what Voldemort had in store for him, and certainly didn't think that Kreacher would be sacrificed and left to die on that island. I think the shock of Voldemort did to Kreacher pushed him over the edge. That would also explain why when he went to the island with Kreacher, he drank the potion himself, to spare Kreacher's life.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:51 pm
Fifth Year

I think most fans had worked out his identity before they had closed HBP. It took me a little longer to cotton on to the fact that Kreacher had drunk the potion.

I still really enjoyed that chapter and how it made Kreacher have a 180 degree turn around towards the trio.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Second Year

i think rab was pretty anti-climatic. not the fact that it was regulus, but that harry basically saw a sign and said, oh, here he is. i was waiting for a huge relevation.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Sixth Year

No surprise for me! It was interesting to find out the full story behind how he retrieved the Horcrux though.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
No surprise for me! It was interesting to find out the full story behind how he retrieved the Horcrux though.
Yeah, that was very interesing! Especially from Kreacher's point of view.

It's just weird to think of two years ago, when R.A.B. was still a mystery. I'm pleased he turned out to be Regulus, though.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Second Year

I WAS SO SURPRISED

I cannot belive that it was Regulus. Wow. that was my initial thought after reading HBP and then i kinda looked and was like..well thats really obvious. lol. and now im like shocked. props to jk for that one.. =]]

Wise Words from a wise man..Albus Dumbledore!

~Don't Dwell On Dreams and Forget to Live
~I'm not worried Im With you
~Tom, Mearley taking you life wouldnt satisfy me
~Well....it's just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to come...whats the phrase...come quietley
~Old men are guilty if they forget what its like to be young
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:48 pm
Third Year

Okay, reading this was freaky, because I was dead on! about regulas black, the sealed locket in the cabinet, kreature having it, and mundungus....It was so creepy, because my theory are always far from the mark! the only two things I did not see coming with it though was kreature planting it in the cave and Dung giving it to Umbridge! DIE UMBRIDGE DIE!

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigleto972001 View Post
what exactly were the reasons he went after the horcrux...was regulus having a change of heart about the reasons voldie was in power or did he find out that voldie wasn't pureblood? sorry to be so dense
I thought he only signed up to protect his family. Once they were all dead he did what he could to hurt Voldemort and got himself out of the way knowing that voldemort assumed kreacher dead he would be okay.

Anyway I didn't like the RAB is Regulus theory just because I thought it was to obvious.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Curse Breaker

The Mugglenet folks pretty much nailed the whole Regulus backstory down in their theories. I wasn't surprised to discover that Regulus was RAB, but I find him a very unimpressive Arthur (Arcturus) in spite of his valiant, self-sacrificing end.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:52 pm
First Year

No surpise there, really.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:54 pm
First Year

Definitely not a surprise, although I was slightly disappointed because we never found out much of what was brought up in the Regulus threads - like how Regulus found out about Horcruxes, why he turned against Voldemort, how the potion refilled, etc. I'm still assuming it was a magically refilling potion since Regulus couldn't refill it while incapacitated, and Kreacher never indicates that he refilled it.

I was surprised and very pleased that Regulus didn't feed the potion to Kreacher, even though he could have. Poor Regulus. Wonder what made Sirius so sure that it was a Death Eater that killed him?

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:59 pm
Second Year

It was completely obvious so really came to no surprise, I was sure once I read the locket was fake that it was the one mentioned in OotP, so really nothing about it was all that shocking.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:09 pm
First Year

It was no big surprise to me. Actually, as soon as I saw R.A.B. on the paper in HBP I immediately said "Regulus Black". I even knew that Kreature had something to do with it. The exact way he found it though was absolutely genious. I would never have thought of that in a million years.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunagranger View Post
honestly speaking I thought it would have been some one else..because Regulus just seemed too obvious....but anyways..its good sometimes obvious things can be correct too!
I get the feeling alot of people thought this. but it would have been to odd if it was some totally new character. JKR had never done that before, soved a mystery with the appearance of a new character.