Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Foul Language in DH

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:28 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Foul Language in DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchamus View Post
sorry... effing... is the phonetic spelling of "F-ing"... I'm sure you can fill in the "You See Kay" after the F to get the whole word it is means...
(sorry mods.. I didn't actually say /type it)
I'm fully aware of that but many people say "effing" as a euphemism for the actual word so using it in the text is not a editoiral act of censorship but actual use.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 6:53 am
First Year

Yeah, I wasn't too sure if it was actually "censored" or not. I guess sometimes you can't really tell here where I live. Hah, but thanks for clearing it up Wab.

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:06 am
Sixth Year

Having lived on both sides of the pond, it seems to me that a certain amount of "foul language", at least in particular situations, is a bit more accepted un the UK than it is in the States. In fact, I remember that the very first swear word I ever read in-print was in a British "young adult" novel when I was probably 12-years-old. So, while the additional swearing in DH undoubtedly adds to the realism, it might also strike some of us from more prudent backgrounds as simply a cultural difference.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:11 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Well, one of the things that I have loved about the Harry Potter series is that, as the kids grew and matured, the books grew and covered more mature themes. The editors limited Jo regarding the language in the previous books, but she always found show that they were fairly normal teenagers with things like "Ron said something that made Hermione go 'Ron!'" and "Harry woke from dreams that made him glad Ron could not perform Legilimency".

In DH, they are all adults - by wizarding standards anyway. They are also facing a war and a seemingly impossible quest to find and destroy the Horcruxes so Voldemort can be killed. The increase in cursing didn't bother me and I felt it was done very well to show realism without being offensive.

And I cheered when Molly cursed at Bellatrix. She was amazing.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:29 am
Third Year

Hm, I think honestly that the amount of swearing that people are used to is totally subjective because I frankly thought that the words in DH were much milder than what I would have expected and had I been in that situation I would have been cursing like a sailor during some of the episodes the Trio faced.

However, I also quite admire Jo (or her editors) for not having gratuitous swearing for no reason because it does make it more powerful when it actually comes up.

And of course Molly's line will last forever in Potter history - I would not be surprised if it becomes a popular culture quote out of context and will certainly be up there in the most quoted parts of HP

He was the bravest man Harry knew. ~Long Live Severus Snape~
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:34 am
Second Year

It was all part of growing up. You cant have a bunch of 17 year olds who are about to die not swearing. It's unnatural. The swear words that were used werent horrendous so I wasnt too upset with it all.

Basically, I agree with meesha1971

Lord Montymort
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_black View Post
It was all part of growing up. You cant have a bunch of 17 year olds who are about to die not swearing. It's unnatural. The swear words that were used werent horrendous so I wasnt too upset with it all.

Basically, I agree with meesha1971
I think you meant to say

"You cant have a bunch of 17 year olds who are not swearing. It's unnatural. "

Michael

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:47 am
Second Year

emm....clearly Im a right foul mouthed lil thing myself or else just so used to it in real life I didnt notice, but the only swearing that registered for me was Mrs Weasley because frankly it was hard to miss!

Did they all swear much? I didnt notice!

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think we need to sermonise about this, really...firstly, if the scenes of torture, doubt and death haven't already tipped us off, these aren't kiddy books any more and haven't been for a long time. Secondly, as nearly everyone here seems to be pointing out, Harry, Ron, Hermione and their schoolmates are older now, they're legally adults in the wizarding world, under a huge deal of stress, and somehow I have the feeling swearing is a lot more rife in the Weasley household than in most (seven kids- five by the time we meet them- among them the twins, Ron and Ginny?). It isn't really out of character at all, and I for one wanted to applaud Molly when she went after Bellatrix with that epithet. You can't deny it's an appropriate one..

Last edited by Drusilla; July 24th, 2007 at 12:06 pm. Reason: I swore :)
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:56 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyMarauder View Post
Mrs Weasley calling Bellatrix a ***** = pure literary genius.
I won't call it literary genius, but yeah it was not really something uncalled for. Other books have far more swear words and frankly speaking 2 swear words isn't much.

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:59 pm
Second Year

I must say I agree with creddo buffa and think it must be quite cultural. Naturally I dant know how many of the people here are from the USA but, living in the UK me and my friends are much younger than 17 and use worse words than are in the book and have been doing so since we were about 10.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:03 pm
Sixth Year

There were admittedly more swear words uttered throughout DH than the previous books, but it didn't bother me at all - though I was a bit surprised.

And I agree, Molly's line was excellent!

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Third Year

I was a tad surprised when I read the first bad word but really, it's to be expected. They're a lot older in this book now, and I really wasn't surprised to see an increase in the language. It's just something else that makes the characters seem more real - they swear, we swear, and you can empathise more with them.

Molly's line made me give a little whoop though Go Molly!

HPIA

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Mollys line to Bellatrix came at the right time and had an enormous impact.

Just like the (more or less) same line in Aliens.

Substitute Molly for Ripley, Ginny for Newt and Bellatrix for the Alien Queen.

One of the most celebrated lines in film history

PS I thought JK peppered the story with a lot of naughty inuendo...Rons remark about a lot less 'wandwork'?

Last edited by YellowRose; July 24th, 2007 at 1:12 pm.
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:20 pm
Fifth Year

I just loved 'Merlin's saggy left ...'

that made me giggle.

Love,
Eyrún

John, Rajiv, Arieal, Ruth, Angel, Dalia, Melissa, Ruben, Devin and most importantly, Ryan - I love you guys and will never forget you. Thank you for the short time we had together.
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:28 pm
Seventh Year

I think most of the swear words used were OK as they were in a proper context and to add realism as apposed to just flung in there for the sake of it.

By the way MODs being in the spirit of the books does that mean we can use them here

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:36 pm
First Year

Were any of the words more shocking than what is happening in the story? There was a snake in an Inferius that was rotting who was attacking Harry, bits of a deranged and shattered soul that are trying to kill Harry, claims that our beloved Albus killed his sister, Dementors waiting to suck a soul out of a living being (any will do) and there are people that found the swearing shocking??? I didn't really notice it much, to tell you the truth. Although, I have to admit, Molly left me in stitches and I agree with Laufa's comment. I also liked Hermione's "Merlin's pants!"

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:38 pm
Fifth Year

Show me a 17 year old who doesn't swear, they are very few and far between.

When Hermione was swearing at Ron, you knew that she was really annoyed with him and was just relieved to see him alive.

As for Molly I completely understand, if someone was attacking my child aiming to kill I would use very 'bad' word under the sun at them.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntricateLogic View Post
In the past, JK has said that her editors wouldn't really let Harry or Ron curse. However, in this book, the boys have dirty mouths. Even Hermione and Mrs.Weasley let a few choice words out. It doesn't really bother me, but I thought it was weird that there was so much in this book.
Finally. It's as though Rowling has this utopian view of everything from teenagers, sex, swearing, relationships, small children. The perfection annoyed me. The only real thing she got down pat was angsty, self-centered teenage drivel.

Old July 24th, 2007, 1:39 pm
Third Year

heh, funny I didnt noticed any foul language <_< >_>

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives