Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Foul Language in DH

Old July 24th, 2007, 12:56 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Foul Language in DH

I think there were only aactually one or tw oswear words in DH, but a lot more references like, 'HArry let out a few choice curse words learnt from Uncle Vernon', and I thought it made sense. After all, there have been similar references in previous books, and its obvious that the kids will be swearing more now that they're older and in a darker situation. And I loved Molly's line, that was brilliant.

and we're just like, how rousseau depicts man in the state of nature:
we're undeveloped, we're ignorant, we're stupid, but we're happy

[los campesinos]
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope View Post
Finally. It's as though Rowling has this utopian view of everything from teenagers, sex, swearing, relationships, small children. The perfection annoyed me. The only real thing she got down pat was angsty, self-centered teenage drivel.
To be honest I don't see that. They behave realistically to me - the actual swearing isn't shown but references to swearing are abound in the books especially after GoF, and the relationship stuff is definitely there in OotP and HBP - it might not be too well written but it is definitely there. There's even a dream Harry has about Ginny which "makes him glad Ron can't perform Legilimency" or something. I mean, come on They are most definitely not pure and perfect - I thought Rowling got around the fact that she couldn't explicitly state anything, what with them being children's books, quite well.

And desertfox, it wasn't anything really bad, but it was definitely more included than in previous books

HPIA

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurvmedespair
There's even a dream Harry has about Ginny which "makes him glad Ron can't perform Legilimency" or something.
I believe that the actual wording was that Harry was "devoutly thankful Ron could not perform Legilimency," which is even more suggestive.

I was not bothered by it, considering they were few and far between. I have been waiting for this to come ever since PoA, when swearing was suggested to have occurred numerous times. As many have said, it is not unusual for seventeen-year-olds to use language of this sort, especially when they are overwhelmed by stress and the endangerment of their lives. I would actually say that more swearing was mentioned (not necessarily put into words) in the previous books than in DH. Also, if you simply walk down the street (or hallway, if you are at school) or hear a snippet of someone's conversation on their cell phone these days, you hear more swearing than there is in all of the Harry Potter books put together.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 24th, 2007, 2:25 pm
First Year

I had no probæem at all with the swearing in DH. As someone has said, it's much better to write the word han suggest an (maybe) even dirtier word.

Old July 24th, 2007, 2:35 pm
Second Year

If they didnt swear, wouldnt that look really unnatural? I mean being teens, all we do is swear, it becomes normal speech, they had to swear a little bit or else they would look really "proper" and "dignified", the situation is too stressful anyways, swearing works to relieve some of that stress.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:12 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I believe that the actual wording was that Harry was "devoutly thankful Ron could not perform Legilimency," which is even more suggestive.

I was not bothered by it, considering they were few and far between. I have been waiting for this to come ever since PoA, when swearing was suggested to have occurred numerous times. As many have said, it is not unusual for seventeen-year-olds to use language of this sort, especially when they are overwhelmed by stress and the endangerment of their lives. I would actually say that more swearing was mentioned (not necessarily put into words) in the previous books than in DH. Also, if you simply walk down the street (or hallway, if you are at school) or hear a snippet of someone's conversation on their cell phone these days, you hear more swearing than there is in all of the Harry Potter books put together.
Same.

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:20 pm
First Year

The swearing didn't bother me at all, I thought it was very fitting, considering the age of the characters and the situation.
I was a little suprised by it...I would have thought that the editors/publishers/whoever would have had a bit of problem since kids as young as 7 buy the books and some of their parents may not want them but exposed to words like b****** and b**** in a children's book.
Oh, and I LOVED Molly calling Bellatrix a *****. =D

Old July 24th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Second Year

Let it all out I say. Vent one's frustrations.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm
First Year

I noticed the curses/swears right off and I think they mirrored the theme that started at the end of HBP: that childhood is over and the time to get serious about what lay ahead had arrived. Also I felt it emphasised the lawlessness that their society had become with the ministry falling and Voldemort everywhere.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Second Year

I was all for it.

People say its a childrens book, but everyone seems to forget that most people have grown up with the book and are now a lot older. The characters have grown and they are in the middle of a war - the last thing anyone should be fretting over is the language! Swear as much as you want and let it all out!

lol, Mrs Weasley's line was the BEST! "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU *****!"

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveslupin View Post
I was all for it.

People say its a childrens book, but everyone seems to forget that most people have grown up with the book and are now a lot older. The characters have grown and they are in the middle of a war - the last thing anyone should be fretting over is the language! Swear as much as you want and let it all out!

lol, Mrs Weasley's line was the BEST! "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU *****!"
i totally agree. mrs. weasley's line made me literally laugh out loud. it was great. i also noticed quite a few "effing"s in there. and harry said blimey too many times in this book. it was a rather unharry-ish thing, i thought. seemed like ron should've said them.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Zonko's Employee

I was a bit taken aback when I read Molly's line (can't really remember anyone else's being that bad) but as an adult I can understand why it was allowed, and I feel sure that any child reading the book will understand it's context and appreciate it's level. I think it's still a minor word in the world of swearing and it really carries it's meaning.

I don't mind swearing, any word really, so long as it carries it's impact, and is necessary - I think this one was.

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:33 pm
First Year

I dont remember any "effings" were they deleted from the US version?

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:46 pm
First Year

They're seventeen. Have you ever stopped to listen to a group of eleven year olds private conversation. Personally I thought the language was really minor.

Oh and quoting mugglecast I geuss we can say it now that Jo said it.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote=panda81;4636497]Were any of the words more shocking than what is happening in the story? There was a snake in an Inferius that was rotting who was attacking Harry, bits of a deranged and shattered soul that are trying to kill Harry, claims that our beloved Albus killed his sister, Dementors waiting to suck a soul out of a living being (any will do) and there are people that found the swearing shocking???QUOTE]

H'ear', h'ear'! I think it's largely a cultural thing, getting shocked by swearing. It didn't feel gratuitious, which is when swearing annoys me- it's just the way I'd expect teenagers to talk, and it's much like how I once talked, so it's easy to relate to really.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:12 pm
First Year

I wouldn't really call the language they used "foul". It was mild compared to what the characters were going through.

Plus, Mrs. Weasley's "Sigourney Weaver" moment was priceless!

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Fifth Year

Mrs. Weasley's line definitely shocked me a little bit as it's not what I expected towards the top of the page. I don't really appreciate swearing all that much but I guess I could see why she was worried about Ginny and how she came to say what she did.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Second Year

the foul language got about some of the only bits of humor in the book...I really loved it!

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:52 pm
First Year

it was put in well. I mean we were all thinking it of Ariana's attackers, and the same of bellatrix, and when hermioey called ron and arse- i said it out aloud when he met harry by the lake (meaning it in a good way lol). Can't think where else it was used, but it fit.

I was surprised they let it through, but glad they did, much better than having to disguise it.

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorleone View Post
Let it all out I say. Vent one's frustrations.
Good way to put it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggleboy57 View Post
Oh and quoting mugglecast I geuss we can say it now that Jo said it.
True, and the mods have said we won't get in trouble for using the exact quotes.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives