Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Lessons Learned by the Malfoys

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:26 am
First Year

Lessons Learned by the Malfoys

The Malfoy family was used brilliantly as a plot device to display many of the lessons Dumbledore taught Harry. Narcissa, Lucius, and Draco went on a journey through these seven years and have come out as changed or maybe more changed than anyone else. These changes and developments really struck me. Let's start with Lucious...

We see Lucius as a Slytherin prefect when Snape is a first year. This makes Lucius 4-5 years older than the Lilly, James, Snape and etc. Which means during LV's first reign he was only a Death Eater for 7-10 years. (I make this estimate based of Lily and James graves saying 1960-1981 so they where of age for 4 years assuming Lucius joined after leaving school.) Appearently Lucius rose rather fast in the Death Eater heirarchy considering he was entrusted with te diary and the leadership roles he was given. It was interesting to note Yaxleys statement in chapter 1 after seeing the white peacock that Lucius always thought highly of himself. I believe his arrogance made him believe he was important to LV even a friend. He made the mistake Dumbledore spoke of to Harry in HBP and paid dearly. Once, Lucius failed LV he was no longer a trusted sergent and loyal Death Eater. He was a toy and useful only for his posesions. A man with no love has no forgiveness or empathy. Lucius's despair when LV took his wand and then subsequently broke it. Can you imagiane Lucius life without a wand? Do you think he ever performed mundane tasks by hand previously? Lucius a prisoner in his own home, This was a man who had graet political power: A school govenor (till book 2), Met personally with the minister of magic, top box as the Quidich World Cup, etc. Now a prisoner, tortured, trapped with in his own house with the threat of his or his families death hanging over his haed... He was turned into a muggle and learned first hand what the otherside felt during LV's reign. I bet Lucius is a new man now...

Draco, the difference between Draco at the start of HBP and DH is striking. How happy he was to be a Death Eater on the train vs how much he wished to be anywhere else at the table in the start of DH. His dream became a nightmare. And there he is in the end turned on by his two closest 'friends' Crabbe and Goyle, dueling a fellow Death Eater who doesn't even realize he is fighting an ally, save twice by his worst enemy, running on fear alone... His life a polar opposite of Harry's whose friends are sacrificing themselves for him and who is walking to his death for love. From arrogant leader to broken man at 17... He never toook his friends into his confidence and was abandonned in the end by them.

Narcissa, who we see has much more in common with Lily than her sister Bella. Bella who would gladly sacarfice her family for the LV vs Narcissa who fights tooth and nail to save hers. From Spnners End to the Forbidden Forest, Narcissa does everything in her power to save her family. Grabbing Lucious at the table to calm him and advise hi to just give up his wand, betraying LV to get Snape's help, lying about Harry... Her bravery at times was amazing. Her love made her strong enough to survive and to keep her family alive. She showed true Slytherin cunning and will to survive and was a much more likeable charater than I ever would have believed.

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Lessons Learned by the Malfoys

Draco seemed to learn nothing.He seemed to repent absolutly nothing he had done.Even towards the end he was trying to twart Harrys attempts to deafeat Voldermort.Theres really nothing good about him.

As for Narcissa I don't think you can compare her to Lily.She should have brought draco up better.Maybe she cared for her son but her sheer disconcern for anyone else around(even other peoples children) made her amount to very little in my eyes.I don't see her as any more brave then other mothers in this book,in fact I see her as the least.Maybe she didn't want her son to ever be a death eater(though we have no canon to support this),but she didn't distill any virtues in him,didn't teach him what was right.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifink2much View Post
Draco seemed to learn nothing.He seemed to repent absolutly nothing he had done.Even towards the end he was trying to twart Harrys attempts to deafeat Voldermort.Theres really nothing good about him.
I think he has learned and deep down he appreciates everything Harry did in DH, save his life. He's like Snape he wouldn't show his feelings to the person he most hates, but deep down understands.

as for Narcissa i think you are right Ifink2much and this happened because of Lucius and his arrogance, but this is why Dumbledore gave second chances because he believed people can change, i think Narcissa was just thankful that her son was alive.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:38 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace_Forever View Post
I think he has learned and deep down he appreciates everything Harry did in DH, save his life.
I just find that hard to belive giving his attack in the room of requirement.Maybe he did but it's a little speck buried deep deep down inside of him.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:44 pm
Second Year

Draco owes Harry, saved his life, he owes Harry big time. He may not feel remorse or guilty about his actions, but he will have to repay Harry sooner or later. Yes the humiliating situation in the Great Hall with the Malfoys after the war was sort of satisfying, to have them feel what its like on the other side of things.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:54 pm
Fifth Year

I loved seeing this family change. We always knew Cissy loved her son the way Draco would brag about the sweets his mom would send him but I went deeper then just sending sweets. Draco wanted to go to Durmstrang and his mom put her foot down and said 'no' the excuse was it was too far away but we learn distance really doesn't mean anything with apperition. I think it had to do with the amount of Dark Arts the school taught. In the forest Cissy also put her life at risk (remember Voldemort is great at knowing when a lie is being told) to see her son.

At the start of the series Lucious put his position over his son, we see at the end of the series his son came first. That is a great lesson to learn.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:56 pm
First Year

I wonder if Draco and Harry ever had a face to face discussion after the events of DH? Or, if they just exchange nods every year at Platform 10 3/4.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:31 pm
First Year

Draco reminded me of Regulus, he joined the death eater but at the end didn't like what he saw. he was saved twice by the trio. and in the epilogue Draco nodded curtly at them, something he would not have done before. as for Lucius and Narcissa i hope they see that greed and power doesn't bring you happiness. i think at the end that the Malfoys only cared that they were together.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
I wonder if Draco and Harry ever had a face to face discussion after the events of DH? Or, if they just exchange nods every year at Platform 10 3/4.
You mean Platform 9 3/4?

Last edited by Sinistra255; July 25th, 2007 at 4:45 pm.
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Fifth Year

The Malfoy family is the best example of a good wizarding family destroyed by Voldemort since we learned about the Crouch family in GoF.

Lucius is still my favorite Death Eater (am I allowed to have favorites on the other side too?) but what he did to his family in HBP and DH was utterly despicable.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:26 pm
First Year

Quote:
I believe his arrogance made him believe he was important to LV even a friend.
Also that's how voldemort works he makes people think that they have a special connection, that they alone know what's going on because they'e a like.

We've seen this - Diary Riddle does it to Harry 'You're alike you and I'- Barty Crouch Jnr repeats this 'We were both disappointed by our fathers, both shared their names'

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by espada View Post
Draco owes Harry, saved his life, he owes Harry big time. He may not feel remorse or guilty about his actions, but he will have to repay Harry sooner or later.
I imagine Draco feels the same way towards Harry as Snape did towards James. It's humiliating to have your worst enemy save your life, especially when you've got as much pride as Draco.
Quote:
Yes the humiliating situation in the Great Hall with the Malfoys after the war was sort of satisfying, to have them feel what its like on the other side of things.
Did they just sit there? Did they sneak out? Did someone (possibly Luna, it would be like her) go up to them and offer them pumpkin juice or something? Did they end up in Azkaban for a short while? I'm guessing Lucius got another wand, but maybe he was suspended from owning a wand sort of like a DUI may get their license suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainofash View Post
That's one of the things I would have liked to find out in the epilogue. Even if they did, I would think that the most acknowledgement Draco would allow himself is a slight nod. Maybe he just doesn't know how to react to Harry, although I think after 19 years he would have learned something. Maybe he's waiting for Harry to demand payment on that life-debt, sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post
Draco reminded me of Regulus, he joined the death eater but at the end didn't like what he saw. he was saved twice by the trio. and in the epilogue Draco nodded curtly at them, something he would not have done before. as for Lucius and Narcissa i hope they see that greed and power doesn't bring you happiness. i think at the end that the Malfoys only cared that they were together.
Yes, greed and power don't bring you happiness, but I think that's the lesson of the Deathly Hallows.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:41 pm
First Year

I did feel for the Malfoys, even at the beginning of HBP because of Draco mostly. Draco changed from the boy that hated Harry Potter and stamped his fac, leaving him on the train, to having Harry save his life.

He was definately thankful for it. He might not have talked to the others like he was their new best friend, but I think deep inside, he owes Harry. He just doesn't want to admit it out aloud, but I think he can safely think that he knows this is true.

If his wife is purebllod, which is likely, he might have taught her a few lessons too, about restraining yourself when you should.

Old July 25th, 2007, 9:07 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66liana99 View Post
I did feel for the Malfoys, even at the beginning of HBP because of Draco mostly. Draco changed from the boy that hated Harry Potter and stamped his fac, leaving him on the train, to having Harry save his life.

He was definately thankful for it. He might not have talked to the others like he was their new best friend, but I think deep inside, he owes Harry. He just doesn't want to admit it out aloud, but I think he can safely think that he knows this is true.

If his wife is purebllod, which is likely, he might have taught her a few lessons too, about restraining yourself when you should.
But it appears that Draco never really reconciled with anybody, just an awkward little acknowledgement at the epilogue.

Old August 4th, 2007, 9:18 am
Fifth Year

The Malfoy's may not like Harry, but they owe him their sons' life! I'd love to have seen what happened after Harry, Ron and Hermione returned to the great hall. Cissy on bended knee, thanking Harry for Draco's life....probably not there and then!

Old August 4th, 2007, 9:26 am
Sixth Year

i'll say this for Draco, i wouldn't be grateful to Harry at all. Harry was the guy that put him in harms to begin with.

Old August 18th, 2007, 4:10 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor_Gestahl View Post
i'll say this for Draco, i wouldn't be grateful to Harry at all. Harry was the guy that put him in harms to begin with.

Maybe I'm missing something....what do you mean by this?

Old August 18th, 2007, 8:21 am
Second Year

Obviously this is all Harry's fault. Had he died when Voldemort AKed him like he was supposed to Voldemort would be well on his way to controlling the world and the Malfoys would be slimy evil gits in positions of power rather then cowering selfish chicken s****. One little lie to Voldemort that Harry was dead and a bunch of snivelling does not make up for a life time of being evil, racist thugs.

They already knew how to weasel out of responsibility for their evilness, but they obviously got better at it. Old Lucius and Draco should have spent the rest of their pathetic lives in little cells. Narcissa could visit to her hearts desire.

Last edited by HPGramp; August 18th, 2007 at 8:24 am.
Old August 18th, 2007, 8:29 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsirius View Post
Maybe I'm missing something....what do you mean by this?
Who are the Death Eaters after and led them to Hogwarts? Who started the battle at Hogwarts when he neurtilised the Carrows? Who made Lucius sank in the graces of Lord Voldemort by destroying the diary? Who Disarmed him and took his wan, which to date, we dunno if he git it back? Who send his father of to Azkaban the first time?

Harry. From Draco's perspective, weighting the pro's and con's of Harry's existence, I'd still wish he was dead.

Old September 17th, 2007, 3:38 am
Fifth Year

I think that they learned a lot, they were at the top, so to speak, by having an expensive home, knowing all the right people, being with the "in crowd" at first with the Death Eaters. But once they found out what happens to those who are not in the Dark Lord's favor, they realized just how wrong things had become and I think they really wanted out, especially Narcissa and Draco.

Can you guess where I am?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone