Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Is Harry a powerful wizard?

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:36 am
First Year

Is Harry a powerful wizard?

Looking back at the books I don't think Harry was that powerful of a wizard. I was hoping that by the end of the series that he would have grown and found his potential and been a wizard more powerful than DD. Voldemort was supposed to be the most powerful dark wizard that ever lived and I find it a little hard to believe he was defeated by Harry at the level of magic Harry displayed.

Did anyone else see Harry as a little underpowered to defeat the greatest dark wizard of all time?

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:43 am
First Year

Re: Was Harry a powerful wizard?

Yes... and I think that was the point. His greatest strengths were love and courage, not power of any sort. In book 7, JKR really showed that Harry needed everyone's help to defeat Voldemort... he only destroyed one horcrux, in the end, back in CoS. His greatest moment of 'power' was also his weakest: standing in front of Voldemort and all of his followers alone, refusing to defend himself.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:54 am
First Year

Harry definitely was not a powerful wizard, and I think that was the point that JK was trying to make. In the end, it wasn't about who had the most power, but who had the strength, courage and ability to reason, love, regret. If it had come down to a power struggle and who was able to cast the better spell, Harry surely would have died a second time, since he never paid any attention to Hermione and her insistence that he practice and study new magic.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:57 am
First Year

Yes he is powerful. His greatest strengths were Voldermorts weaknesses.

Arithmancer

Yeats I quite agree with what you said. I would have actually been disappointed if suddenly Harry was as powerful and showed huge displays of this magic we'd never seen him use in the last book. His strongest power was love and great courage.

First Year

It wasn't his talents, but his ability to love despite all that had happened to him, that made him an extraordinary wizard.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:59 am
First Year

At first I was think the same thing. Howvwer, Harry was powerful (with love) in his own right. If harry had to be some super power wizard, like Dumbledore, i think that would have ruined the message about the amazing abilities of love in the story.

An example of the wrath of countless Harry Potter fans should you spoil Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:59 am
Arithmancer

I also want to add that truely he was more powerful that Voldemort because he had the strengths that Voldemort never possessed and never would. That being love, caring, and understanding. He had people behind him showing those same attributes as well. So to me, in my eyes and my opinion he was more powerful than Voldemort because he had those things on his side. He felt those things whereas Voldemort did not and never would.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:00 am
First Year

I don't want to sound too much like Voldemort here, but what good is love and courage in a duel? If it had not been for the elder wand Harry would surely have died, so really it was all kinda luck that kept Harry alive. Personally, I think he shoulda kept the elder wand, that way he may have actually had some power... Mind you, if he wanted power he would have been in Slytherin.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:01 am
First Year

He was powerful, in his own way. As Jo shows all the time, there are things much more "magical" than waving wands and making things happen without the use of hands.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:05 am
Banned

He wasn't powerful in skill or finesse, but he was extremely powerful when it came to raw power. He wasn't particularly powerful in controlling his power, but he clearly had a lot of raw power. He blew up glasses, blew up his Aunt, disappeared a whole sheet of glass...All of that happened because of the strength of his raw power that lay in his emotions. And that was fitting, because Voldemort had no emotions other than anger and pleasure at pain. Harry experienced love, courage, fear, passion, and yes, anger, but he was a more complete person, and therein lay his power.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

It, I suppose, should have been obvious that there wouldn't be an epic battle scene with two equally matched oponents battling based on skill alone because Dumbledore would have taken a more active interest in Harry's magical education if that were the case. Instead, he just taught Harry, through manipulation, how to get out of sticky situations with bravery and quick thinking. Quirrell, the Chamber, Time Turner...etc...

He was much more concerned with Harry's emotions and ethics (the choice between what is right and what is easy) than his physical power.

I love that aspect-- Harry's vulnerability and bravery-- so opposite, yet both working off each other to make it all the more amazing! I loved the Forest scene so much. I cried like a baby!

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:06 am
Second Year

Sure, Harry was a powerful wizard for his age. He was certainly above average at least, remember the DA? He was the one doing the teaching, and he caught on to things like the Patronus much quicker than most characters did. He probably didn't grow to be as powerful as Dumbledore or anything, but I'm sure that he was always regarded as being a good wizard, just like his mother and father were.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChairThatSit View Post
I don't want to sound too much like Voldemort here, but what good is love and courage in a duel? If it had not been for the elder wand Harry would surely have died, so really it was all kinda luck that kept Harry alive. Personally, I think he shoulda kept the elder wand, that way he may have actually had some power... Mind you, if he wanted power he would have been in Slytherin.
But what good is power and talent without love?

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:08 am
First Year

Well, in knowing a lot of spells, Voldemort and Dumbledore were both way better than Harry, no talk about it. But what made Harry so powerful was that he understood the greatest power; love.

Voldemort never understood love, courage, friendship and trust. Anyone would have been forced to use all his or hers strengths to destroy all the horcruxes and Voldemort, and Harry did. His trust and love to his friends allowed them to helping him to destroy the horcruxes. Knowing and using his strenghts made Harry a great wizard.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:11 am
First Year

In this case I think there could be various definitions of being "powerful".
For one thing I'm sure that Harry wasn't "powerful" meaning not skilled in the arts of magic like other timeless wizards like Dumbledore or Grindelwald.

But I believe that Harry's power comes from his courage, wisdom and friendship. He does grow and change through the series all right. We can see in OoTP how he can't control his emotions as a hot-headed person. He still is hot-headed in the 7th book (like how he says Voldemort out of stubborness and gets caught in the Malfoy manor) but in the last scene I think he displays a coolness of understanding and bravery that stands out the most than any other book in the series.

And after all he still was a 17 year old teenager. How can you expect him to be skilled in magic powerfully?

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatz View Post
Sure, Harry was a powerful wizard for his age. He was certainly above average at least, remember the DA? He was the one doing the teaching, and he caught on to things like the Patronus much quicker than most characters did. He probably didn't grow to be as powerful as Dumbledore or anything, but I'm sure that he was always regarded as being a good wizard, just like his mother and father were.
But it's important to remember that the stuff he did well, i.e. the Patronus charm, were based in emotion. Like he had a lot of trouble with the Accio charm until he was in the thick of battle and needed it. And he was always pretty bad at transfiguration, which hardly involves emotion.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:21 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
But what good is power and talent without love?
Doesn't it depend on what you want?

Voldemort wanted power, which he had seeing as he controlled the ministry, of course he was to arrogant and thought everyone beneath him, a fatal mistake obviously.

Harry had very little power but had a tremendous amount of love. He also wins, so its hard to argue your point.

If Harry still had his parents around and nobody died to save him, and the prophecy was still true "neither can live while the other survives". Then Harry would have been killed off like he was nothing. Even though he loved everybody.

So having said that, unless someone died to save my life, I would take power over love.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:23 am
First Year

well wasn't harry marked as his equal but had the extra love-power to overcome him?

the marked as equal thing was always ambiguous to me.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:24 am
First Year

I doubt anyone would dare to challenge Harry after Deathly Hallows. This is a 17-year old kid who killed Voldemort, has possession of all of the Deathly Hallows, and has survived attempted murder so many times that even Rita Skeeter could not detail every account of every situation.

Even if we know he is not all that powerful (compare what he was doing at 17 with Dumbledore and Tom Riddle), I doubt the lore of Harry Potter will ever subside in the wizarding world.

It, however, would be interesting to see how history books remember Harry. Will they use Snape's account, a mediocre young boy who managed to survive through a combination of good luck and friends? Or will they glorify Harry as "The Chosen One", who was inevitably destined to overthrow The Dark Lord even through the darkest hours of the latter's genocidal purge of Muggle-borns?

I suspect the latter is how Harry will be remembered in the wizarding history books.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone