Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Suggestion Thread

Old October 27th, 2007, 3:03 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Suggestion Thread

I am fairly tired right now, so apologies if there is one... But is there a Snape/Dumbledore joint analysis? In light of revelation that the 2 characters had a similar experience with love - or lack of love/ unrequited love - which shaped their destiny and actions for the rest of their lives - I thought this might be an interesting discussion. The more I realize that they were alike yet so different. Just a thought & suggestion.

Thanks!

Old November 1st, 2007, 1:57 am
Second Year

I would second the idea of the Dumbledore/Snape joint analysis, because as DH makes clear, the two of them are such closely-bound allies for so long. The relationship they have is very interesting.

But I don't want to sound like I'm pestering anyone - I understand we have to let the level of tension die down first.

Old November 8th, 2007, 2:14 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I am fairly tired right now, so apologies if there is one... But is there a Snape/Dumbledore joint analysis? In light of revelation that the 2 characters had a similar experience with love - or lack of love/ unrequited love - which shaped their destiny and actions for the rest of their lives - I thought this might be an interesting discussion. The more I realize that they were alike yet so different. Just a thought & suggestion.

Thanks!
I second this, it sounds like something that could be very interesting to discuss.

Also, what would happen if a non-staff member submitted a thread on legilimency studies?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 8th, 2007, 2:53 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Also, what would happen if a non-staff member submitted a thread on legilimency studies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
We are going back to the old policy of allowing only staff to create new threads in Legilimency Studies. Threads in the moderation queue intended for this subforum will mysteriously vanish.

If you want to have a thread for a character we have missed, kindly post your suggestion here in this thread.

There is your answer

We are currently limiting the Snape discussion threads. You can create a suggested thread, along with discussion questions for staff to review, if you would like to have a particular topic started. That is how many of them get approved.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 8th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Secret Keeper

oh, if i'm getting this correctly, say if i wanted to a discusion thread about Malfoy, i would post a thread, and then a staff member would see it, and take it off and replace it?

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 9th, 2007, 2:10 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
oh, if i'm getting this correctly, say if i wanted to a discusion thread about Malfoy, i would post a thread, and then a staff member would see it, and take it off and replace it?
No, sorry if I was confusing
You would just post your ideas in this thread, and if it was approved, then a moderator would use your ideas to create a new thread.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 9th, 2007, 2:13 am
Secret Keeper

oh, gotcha, thanks!

Not that i have any good ideas yet....

My Deviantart Account

Old November 17th, 2007, 12:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I looked and did a search and did not see Bill or Charlie Weasley...

I know Charlie wasn't really seen too much, but it would still be nice to have a thread for both. I think Bill's role in DH most definitely warrants him a thread .

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:54 pm
Third Year

I second the suggestion for an Andromeda Tonks thread. Perhaps in combo with Ted Tonks? Oo, or a thread on the Black sisters?

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.
-Emily Dickenson
Old November 28th, 2007, 8:05 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldawen View Post
I second the suggestion for an Andromeda Tonks thread. Perhaps in combo with Ted Tonks? Oo, or a thread on the Black sisters?
We have threads on Ted and Nymphadora: Ted Tonks: Character Analysis and Nymphadora Tonks: Character Analysis

Outside of LS we have:
Narcissa and Andromeda and The Black Family Dynamics Revisited, which are both threads that could do with a little activity.

Old November 28th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

We need a thread on the brutal faced Yaxley!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old December 6th, 2007, 8:23 am
Second Year

Has there been a thread on Filch yet? He's something of an intriguingly unpleasant character who often gets overlooked.

Conservatives want to be your daddy, telling you what to do and what not to do. Liberals want to be your mommy, feeding you, tucking you in, and wiping your nose. Libertarians want to treat you as an adult
Old December 6th, 2007, 8:27 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover_Fist View Post
Has there been a thread on Filch yet? He's something of an intriguingly unpleasant character who often gets overlooked.
Here you go: Argus Filch - Character Analysis

Old December 6th, 2007, 8:46 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graduand_Esk View Post
I would second the idea of the Dumbledore/Snape joint analysis, because as DH makes clear, the two of them are such closely-bound allies for so long. The relationship they have is very interesting.

But I don't want to sound like I'm pestering anyone - I understand we have to let the level of tension die down first.
How funny! I was just coming in here to suggest this. The Snape/Dumbledore relationship fascinates me now more than ever, and I've been DYING to talk about it since DH. I believe there's just as much good juicy stuff to discuss there as there is with Harry/DD, Severus/Lily or GG/DD.

And - just to prove it - some suggested discussion questions for Snape/Dumbledore:

1) Do you believe Dumbledore consciously saw the parallels between his own story and Snape's?
2) Do you believe Snape knew anything about Dumbledore's past? If he did, did he see the similar patterns of their lives?
3) Do you think Severus was jealous (in a sibling-type way) of Dumbledore's fondness for Harry?
4) When do you think Dumbledore stopped trusting Severus solely because of Lily and began trusting him based on his own actions and character (i.e., when did DD start believing "sometimes we sort too soon")?
5) How much do you think Dumbledore knew of the animosity between Snape and the Marauders? Why didn't he do anything about it?
6) How/why do you think Dumbledore got Severus to keep quiet about Lupin's affliction? And speaking of the "prank," in PoA Snape accuses DD of forgetting that Black once tried to kill him, and Dumbledore tells Severus, "My memory's as sharp as it ever was, Severus." What do you think he meant by this?
7) Was it Dumbledore who taught Snape Occlumency? Given what we saw of the early DD/SS relationship, how do you think those lessons would have compared with Harry's sessions with Snape?
8) Did Albus "assign" Severus to Harry's protection solely because he needed help with the task, or was he trying to give Snape a reason to live and a means of atonement?
9) Do you believe Dumbledore came to genuinely care for Snape? What about Snape for Dumbledore?
10) Do you think it's just a coincidence that Harry names the same son after both of these men, or do you believe that Albus and Severus are inexorably linked in Harry's mind? Does Harry see the similarities in them as well? Or is it simply that they both shaped and influenced his life - for good and bad - in so many ways?

(And that's just for starters, hee! )

"Hey, Mom! Snape DIDN'T die - he's pitching in the World Series!"
[
Old December 7th, 2007, 3:36 pm
Eldest Gruff

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. Hope this fits your expectations:

Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:21 pm
Seventh Year

I've got a suggestion. How about a thread for all of the Dumbledores together? That way, we can discuss Albus' sister's death, as well as the various relationships within the family.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old December 8th, 2007, 2:26 am
Always Indy's Girl

Hi,

I was wondering about two threads actually! By the way, the Snape/Dumbldore thread is awesome.

1. James and Harry

2. Lily and Hermione.

I don't have high hopes for the second, but I thought I will post the suggestion anyway, so that it can be taken on later, if mods feel okay with it.

Thanks,

The_Green_Woods.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old December 12th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Zonko's Employee

Is there a thread on Blaise Zabini? He cropped up in our discussion on the Snape thread, and he's SUCH a cool kid.

He's one of the few black kids at Hogwarts - the school population is meant to be a fair representation of the ethnic makeup of the United Kingdom - and a pureblood Slytherin who has no time for half-blood traitors. But he doesn't have much time for potential Death Eaters either. So, he's a pureblood aristocrat, a snobbish one to boot, but also apparently isn't about to become a Voldemort groupie any time soon.

It's curious, how racism in the wizarding world is not based on the colour of one's skin ... and yet is no less malevolent in its intent.

Anyway, Blaise. Cool kid.

Old December 14th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
I've got a suggestion. How about a thread for all of the Dumbledores together? That way, we can discuss Albus' sister's death, as well as the various relationships within the family.
Please, someone make this thread. It would be so cool.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old December 14th, 2007, 9:04 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
Please, someone make this thread. It would be so cool.
Unfortunately, the discussion of Ariana Dumbledore always ventured in non-family friendly territory and to be honest, we have too little to do a character analysis for her. We already have threads on Albus and Aberforth, both of which could do with some activity.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies