Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"£$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24th, 2007, 6:53 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

Well I would have to say that this was my favorite book of the series. It stirred so many emotions in me like none of the other HP books had done. The whole seen with the resurrection stone and James, Lilly, Remus, and Sirius was probably the most emotionally draining part of the entire series.

That being said, there were some problems with it and a few questions I thought would be answered but weren't (Those are for a different thread I see). I felt some of the deaths were quite unnecessary *cough* Fred *cough* and Lupin's death was the worst because he was my favorite character (behind Sirius, who was already killed off). Also the epilogue was somewhat disappointing to me. I expected to see what the others were doing besides the trio.

Anyway, the book was extremely enjoyable and I could not put it down. For that reason alone, despite the few problems I had while reading, I gave this one an O.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 7:01 pm
Second Year

I put "exceeds expectations"
I didn't like the epilogue because I wanted to find out about the other characters. What do the other weasleys do? and Luna and Neville?
I would also like to know what happens with Hogwarts.
I wish there was a paragraph for each major character's story.

I liked the actual story in the book, and the explanation of the Deathly Hallows. I thought the characters were progressed well, and I liked the way things were dealt with.
The story telling was classic JK Rowling, however it was slightly more mature. I don't think this book is suitable for very young children, unlike the first book which was designed for younger people.
I think the deaths in the book were good for progressing, but that they were slightly unemotional and so had less impact.
I didn't like the chapter titles, as I thought they gave away too much of what would happen in the chapter.

I didn't think the cover art of the books really fitted the book, and so was slightly impressed by the story in the book.
I am also glad that the book wasn't too long. The length was effective to clear up the major plot holes in the Harry Potter world, and I'm glad it wasn't longer.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 24th, 2007, 7:13 pm
Fourth Year

I loved it. It finished off the series rather well. Of course I could have had an epilogue the size of the series and it still wouldn't have been long enough. I'm glad I got some theories confirmed while still having things revealed I never expected.
I totally ignored my whole family for the time I was reading it (sorry family!) because I couldn't put it down.
I'm sad about the deaths but not everyone could have lived I guess.

Totally happy and sad its over!

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Definitely an O from me. There were a few flaws and a few storylines that should have been in the book or been expanded on plus I didn't like the callous way she dealt with some deaths of important characters (namely Hedwig, Lupin and Tonks). However, I found the book gripping and wonderful and it's my favourite by far and therefore there's just no way to give it any less than Outstanding.

Cheers

Old July 24th, 2007, 7:23 pm
First Year

Criticism On The Book

Hello people,

I see many many comments off people that they really liked, accept the end, the book just as I did in the beginning. But that changed after reading a post on another forum, where I normally discuss about Harry Potter.

Thats why I make this topic... you can criticism the book here, because I don't understand why so many people like the book I already said this stuff in I quote myself from
http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=86 and
http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=88

I really hope that some agree with me because I don't understand how that many Potter fans can be satisfied with this book that had more questions then answers... Also I hope that people won't be rude to me :P

Lets start:

Ok there were many wierd things about the book...
first of all the first chapter was a really disappointment, deatheaters discussing about Harry (whoelse), then they kill a Hogwarts Teacher we've never seen WHO CARES!?! And then the ministery. They fell pretty easily I think. I was already wondering why Voldemort didn't do it faster. Then the chapter about the Dursleys was also dramatic. There we've got Dudley who always hated Harry and always bullied him and now suddenly he loves him? really a anti-climax not reallistic. Really it was already known to me that Rowling weakest side was drama ('Harry... you're a wizard!' book1) but that didn't ruined it for me.

Then the part that Harry founds out al kind off stuff about dumbledore. It was really disappointing he just readed everything in the goddamn newspaper!?!

Also many events happend to easily. Like Accio Hagrid? Ron speaks parseltongue by copying, far to easily!? Then at gringrots 'Oh hey we need to escape... look there is a dragon lets climp on it and escape. Then the deluminator... it is really a thing to put ligths on and out but it also lets me see were people are! HOW CONVENIENT! Rowling first said that the secret of a secretkeeper dies withhim and now Rowling says that there are 20 secret keepers at grimmauld place!!!

Bill was secret kepper of his house, but Ron could tell Dobby where he had to go???
The horcruxes where so important, but infact they played only a small part in the book. The only thing we saw was that Harry, Ron and Hermione were camping and looking for the horcruxes. Who they did find pretty EASILY. Come on.. Ron and Hermione destroy a Horcrux in the chamber of secrets, and next thing Harry destroys one because the Horcrux falles in the cursed fire from Crabbe while even Hermione brigthest witch of here age didn't even had the guts to do it.

Then Kreacher, the houself who has been manipulated for over 20 years by bad wizards and hated Harry for 2 years long (vica versa) and then he seems to be hardcore and makes the food for Harry and his friends and he starts a houself rebellion. Does everyone've to see the Light accept of Voldemort? Be realistc plzzzz. Everything has been done far to easily and everything was in advance for Harry... from Kreacher to Narcissa.

And what a strange introduction about that if you beat and then gain the wands of the opposit wizard. She could've told that before, part 2 maybe??

I really got the feeling Rowling lost the story and that see was stuck with her plot and that there had to be somethings changed so everything would lead to a happy end. Just like you do when you playing a game with someone else and you nearly lose and then suddenly say in the game NO NO that ain't the rules you must do this and that... The book could better be named Albus Dumbledore & The Deathly Hallows. The thin storyline 'finding the horcruxes' which only covered about half the book had to make place for the 'deathly hallows'

Then the people who died.. Let me be clear that I don't mind it who died but that I do mind how they died. Hedwig dies and Harry makes a drama about it. Hedwigs dead covers about 2 pages... Then the end of the book the dead of Tonks and Lupin. NO DETAILS TOTALY OFF SCREEN. Since when is that bloody owl more important then Lupin or Tonks!?! Harry even cried longer about Cedric Diggory.

And the ending. Albus Severus Potter?! What a anti-climax. These things are nice for fanfics, nice to think about the name as a fan because you know it wont be a one... but helas this is real. I really can't believe it that this is the ending chapter where she worked 17 years on.

This book has to many hollows. Instead of answering questions Rowling about things where she always did very mysterious about it, she even made more!!! Example what did James and Lily do for work? What was the Department of mystification exactly? What was the 'Viel' preccisly? All the instruments of Dumbledore.. etc etc etc

Then "Not my daughter you *****" part. I don't mind cursing but this is really the first big curs word I find in the books... really a anti-climax feeling it gives. Because at other times see made stories like 'Hermione said... RON!' Blabla.

It was a big dissapointment.

ps. the text above has not been orginally been written by me but I've this from a Dutch forum and I agree with many things what has been said by the poster. I also think it was a bit off disappointment but luckly I enjoyed the book when I readed it.

To say it pretty rude... I think JKR made the first 6 books great

but the last one was something like...

'Thanks guys for the millions of dollars/euro's WHATEVA, happy day to you.'

that kind off feeling it gives me that she leaves us with those many questions that aren't answered yet...

Dutch Harry Potter Site: www.harrypotterfreakz.com
Dutch Harry Potter Forum: www.harrypotterforum.nl

Last edited by Moriath; July 24th, 2007 at 8:04 pm. Reason: removed swearwords
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:26 pm
First Year

Great Wall St. Journal Review

Thought I'd share!

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110010373

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:33 pm
First Year

O for outstanding. I really don't have any great disappointments with the story. There were a few things that I was hoping to see that wasn't in the book, especially Harry and Snape interaction but the way that JKR did it was still brilliant so I can't be to upset. And, the book felt completely satisfying. I put down the book feeling happy and complete, not depressed and empty like I thought I would have felt.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Second Year

I loved the story but the epilogue left me cold. I hope she rewrites it and posts it on her website.
oh, and I voted the book an "E".

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Second Year

I didnt like it very much, it felt rushed and almost like a fanfiction imo, there were some good parts but there were a ton of not good parts. some of the deaths were pathetic (snape) while some were sad and well written (dobby). so it ranks dead last in my list of HP books

The Great Sogeking-Sama Approves This Message
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:33 pm
First Year

Re: Criticism On The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouser View Post
Hello people,

I see many many comments off people that they really liked, accept the end, the book just as I did in the beginning. But that changed after reading a post on another forum, where I normally discuss about Harry Potter.

Thats why I make this topic... you can criticism the book here, because I don't understand why so many people like the book I already said this stuff in I quote myself from
http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=86 and
http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=88

I really hope that some agree with me because I don't understand how that many Potter fans can be satisfied with this book that had more questions then answers... Also I hope that people won't be rude to me :P

Lets start:

Ok there were many wierd things about the book...
first of all the first chapter was a really disappointment, deatheaters discussing about Harry (whoelse), then they kill a Hogwarts Teacher we've never seen WHO CARES!?! And then the ministery. They fell pretty easily I think. I was already wondering why Voldemort didn't do it faster. Then the chapter about the Dursleys was also dramatic. There we've got Dudley who always hated Harry and always bullied him and now suddenly he loves him? really a anti-climax not reallistic. Really it was already known to me that Rowling weakest side was drama ('Harry... you're a wizard!' book1) but that didn't ruined it for me.

Then the part that Harry founds out al kind off stuff about dumbledore. It was really disappointing he just readed everything in the goddamn newspaper!?!

Also many events happend to easily. Like Accio Hagrid? Ron speaks parseltongue by copying, far to easily!? Then at gringrots 'Oh hey we need to escape... look there is a dragon lets climp on it and escape. Then the deluminator... it is really a thing to put ligths on and out but it also lets me see were people are! HOW CONVENIENT! Rowling first said that the secret of a secretkeeper dies withhim and now Rowling says that there are 20 secret keepers at grimmauld place!!!

Bill was secret kepper of his house, but Ron could tell Dobby where he had to go???
The horcruxes where so important, but infact they played only a small part in the book. The only thing we saw was that Harry, Ron and Hermione were camping and looking for the horcruxes. Who they did find pretty EASILY. Come on.. Ron and Hermione destroy a Horcrux in the chamber of secrets, and next thing Harry destroys one because the Horcrux falles in the cursed fire from Crabbe while even Hermione brigthest witch of here age didn't even had the guts to do it.

Then Kreacher, the houself who has been manipulated for over 20 years by bad wizards and hated Harry for 2 years long (vica versa) and then he seems to be hardcore and makes the food for Harry and his friends and he starts a houself rebellion. Does everyone've to see the Light accept of Voldemort? Be realistc plzzzz. Everything has been done far to easily and everything was in advance for Harry... from Kreacher to Narcissa.

And what a strange introduction about that if you beat and then gain the wands of the opposit wizard. She could've told that before, part 2 maybe??

I really got the feeling Rowling lost the story and that see was stuck with her plot and that there had to be somethings changed so everything would lead to a happy end. Just like you do when you playing a game with someone else and you nearly lose and then suddenly say in the game NO NO that ain't the rules you must do this and that... The book could better be named Albus Dumbledore & The Deathly Hallows. The thin storyline 'finding the horcruxes' which only covered about half the book had to make place for the 'deathly hallows'

Then the people who died.. Let me be clear that I don't mind it who died but that I do mind how they died. Hedwig dies and Harry makes a drama about it. Hedwigs dead covers about 2 pages... Then the end of the book the dead of Tonks and Lupin. NO DETAILS TOTALY OFF SCREEN. Since when is that bloody owl more important then Lupin or Tonks!?! Harry even cried longer about Cedric Diggory.

And the ending. Albus Severus Potter?! What a anti-climax. These things are nice for fanfics, nice to think about the name as a fan because you know it wont be a one... but helas this is real. I really can't believe it that this is the ending chapter where she worked 17 years on.

This book has to many hollows. Instead of answering questions Rowling about things where she always did very mysterious about it, she even made more!!! Example what did James and Lily do for work? What was the Department of mystification exactly? What was the 'Viel' preccisly? All the instruments of Dumbledore.. etc etc etc

Then "Not my daughter you *****" part. I don't mind cursing but this is really the first big curs word I find in the books... really a anti-climax feeling it gives. Because at other times see made stories like 'Hermione said... RON!' Blabla.

It was a big dissapointment.

ps. the text above has not been orginally been written by me but I've this from a Dutch forum and I agree with many things what has been said by the poster. I also think it was a bit off disappointment but luckly I enjoyed the book when I readed it.

To say it pretty rude... I think JKR made the first 6 books great

but the last one was something like...

'Thanks guys for the millions of dollars/euro's WHATEVA, happy day to you.'

that kind off feeling it gives me that she leaves us with those many questions that aren't answered yet...

I agree with you 100%, my review in on page 1 and covered a lot of the same things. I left the book feeling disappointed and don't know how the majority of us here voted that Book 7 is their favorite of the series in the other poll. Obviously we are in the minority though...

Basically just didn't feel the same as the other books and there were too many "easy outs" and ***? moments for me: Ron getting into the Chamber, Grabbe releasing a curse that can destroy horcruxes, Molly swearing, etc, etc... Overall felt like JK was rushed finishing the book.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:40 pm
First Year

Dreadful.

I was very disappointed.

1. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spent half of the book camping, twiddling their thumbs and wondering what to do next.

2. The end was... incredibly far-fetched and unrealistic. Yes, I realize this is a book about magic, which isn't exactly realistic in the first place, but come ON.

3. Of all of the people who died, DOBBY was the one who got the most attention. DOBBY? What about Fred? Lupin? Tonks? There's absolutely no mention of them afterwards, they just sort of... die, and that's it.

4. In this book, and in fact the entire series, everything is so coincidental. The trio founds out everything at exactly the moment they need to, people show up exactly when they're needed, and everything plays into everyone's strengths. NO ONE IS THAT LUCKY.

5. I cannot believe how completely useless the epilogue was. I'd never have guessed that Ron and Hermione/Harry and Ginny had children together! Who cares? We've known those two couples were meant to be together for years. What did they all do in those 19 years, besides pop out a couple of kids? What happened to the wizarding world?

6. I don't even want to discuss the plot holes. :/

Last edited by cheetos; July 24th, 2007 at 9:46 pm. Reason: something
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:46 pm
First Year

Hmmm. Maybe there'll start being more and more bad reviews as we go along. I think most of us that got it and read it in a day are the ubergeeks that don't care as long as we're reading Potter. Maybe now some more critical reviews will start trickling in....

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I picked "E", in part because I'm a tough grader

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Hmmm. Maybe there'll start being more and more bad reviews as we go along. I think most of us that got it and read it in a day are the ubergeeks that don't care as long as we're reading Potter. Maybe now some more critical reviews will start trickling in....
Heh, I may be rabid, but I know when I don't like a book. Witness my CoS apathy. Isn't it possible we did actually genuinely enjoy this one? =/ Eh, I guess liking books is always a personal thing, but I don't think trying to convince people they didn't like it if they did is going to be a very successful endeavour...

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:21 pm
Banned

i am still only on "magic is might" but SO FAR ITS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!! everyone keeps telling me about chapter 33 saying YOU MUST GET TO CHAPTER 33 ITS THE BEST PART ..so i am reading as fast as i can to get to it ..BUT so far this is my fav book its the most exciting...so far....

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Second Year

I put Exceeds Expectations. It was an amazing book, and the Battle of Hogwarts is the best part of any Harry Potter book I've ever read, but they loose points for the disappointing Epilouge. All 7 books are my favorite seven books and are very hard to list, but I think I liked the OOTP just a tad better.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:07 pm
First Year

A review of the seventh book

http://turnthepageblog.blogspot.com/...d-deathly.html

Check it out, I;m interested in seeing your opinions on my review.

Cheers

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Third Year

outstanding, just outstanding...

it was seriously the best book in the series. The way i played out was like nothing i expected. I had expected it to be good, it wsa better than good.

It had me crying pretty much the whole time...Dobby`s death was so well written and so sad. Snape`s was too. "Look..at...me" he whsipered. I bowled at that part and knew istantly that Snape had loved Lily. But the way it all plays out is just wonderful.

And t hen the chapter in the woods...when Harry has acepted he must die, and he uses the resurection stone. The way his parents and sirius and remus are all ther for him...I bowled the whole way through. Jo said she cried after writting a chapter near the end, im sure it was this one.

The battle was so well written, so many surprises during it.

I mean...the whole thing was just wonderful and moved at an incredible pace.

three cheers for JK Rowling!!

cheers,
pad

Harry, Ron and Hermione...our favourite trio all the way...after 10 years the end is near and we will finally know how Ron and Hermione end up together and how the saga ends....21st of July

An all new story, about the search for a demented serial killer who is killing off everyone Harry loves. to read And please leave feedback.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Sixth Year

I voted for an O. It's my favorite book in the series and it was better than I expected it to be. Just about everything I wanted to have happen, happened. I have very little to complain about concerning this book.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Second Year

outstanding for sure! My favorite book of the series.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives