Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"£$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:49 am
Seventh Year

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

Outstanding for being something completely unexpected, invigorating, and memorable. This book was like the cherry on top of the ice cream and ended the series on a good note (except for the epilogue).

Lifestyles of the Rich and Fabulous

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:28 am
First Year

Hi,

I have read DH and I loved it, ever page, every sentance, every word. I personally feel that there where to many deaths of strong charaters. Also, the story line was amazing.

Lets talk about my points made:

1. After reading DH I felt empty. I was deeply upset about everything that had happened, but also happy that it all had ended.

2. Hegwig, Tonks, Lupin, Dobby and Fred, I felt, were unneeded deaths. Hegwig because that was Harry's very first pet, which was from Hagrid. Tonks and Lupin purely on the fact that they had just had their child (Ted). Dooby simple because he was Harry's biggest fan, and he would have done anything for him, even die... (Which he does obviously). And Fred, because he has his whole life in front of him, his twin brother George had the brilliant shop of there's. Fred's death was the most painful for me, as I have a twin brother and I don't think I could cope if he died...

3. The twists and turns in the book kept my gribbed right until I finished the book. Snape turning out to be a excellent person, helping Harry, Ron and Hermione on there quest. Also, the fact that the Deathly Hallows where objects of great power, I thought it would be a place.

Another thing I would like to ask, even though I will never get an answer is...

What happened to Fred, how did Ted take it when he found out about his parents, did Harry ever get another owl, what happened to the Dursley's...

Many questions that still need anwsering.

Thnks,

Horcruxs

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritey View Post
Heh, I may be rabid, but I know when I don't like a book. Witness my CoS apathy. Isn't it possible we did actually genuinely enjoy this one? =/ Eh, I guess liking books is always a personal thing, but I don't think trying to convince people they didn't like it if they did is going to be a very successful endeavour...

I am not trying to convince you or anybody of anything. It's just my opinion. A bunch of people I talk to in person are disappointed for a lot of the reasons that I am. I shouldn't be surprised at all the love on a fan site over the book though.

It seems to me (again JMO) that a lot of the votes are coming from the buzz from reading the book after a 2 year wait - as long as Harry didn't die I think most would be happy with whatever JK put on paper. I think that 62% of the people saying that book 7 is their favorite now is a little suspicious. I think that vote will even out more over time or as people reread the series. I'd like to see that poll 2 years from now....

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I gave it an Exceeds Expectations. Why ?
Because i felt some of the writing was a bit clunky in places, and that did take me off my reading stride as it were.

I adore the book though. The duel between Harry and Voldemort was as epic as i thought it would be.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:51 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horcruxs View Post
Hi,

2. Hegwig, Tonks, Lupin, Dobby and Fred, I felt, were unneeded deaths. Hegwig because that was Harry's very first pet, which was from Hagrid. Tonks and Lupin purely on the fact that they had just had their child (Ted). Dooby simple because he was Harry's biggest fan, and he would have done anything for him, even die... (Which he does obviously). And Fred, because he has his whole life in front of him, his twin brother George had the brilliant shop of there's. Fred's death was the most painful for me, as I have a twin brother and I don't think I could cope if he died...

why were the unncessary deaths? they were good deaths. be grateful that harry, ron o hermione weren't killed off.
i think the level of death was adequate if not a little less than expectation. afterall voldemort was killing people, there was a war going on, you cant just leave your favourite characters behind because you like then. Rowling has sensibly killed likable characters off because it shows its how it would be in real life.

Harry's parents were killed shortly after Harry was died, surely if it was unnecessary for Tonlks and Lupin to die then it would ahve been for Lily and James, and hitherto we wouldnt have had a Harry Potter saga would we.

You need tragedy for a story to work, especially in a story that revolves around tragedy.

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:59 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKL View Post
Harry's parents were killed shortly after Harry was died, surely if it was unnecessary for Tonlks and Lupin to die then it would ahve been for Lily and James, and hitherto we wouldnt have had a Harry Potter saga would we.

You need tragedy for a story to work, especially in a story that revolves around tragedy.
I see what you're saying. But we didn't even hear what happened to Lupin or Tonks. And as for Harry's parents dying when he was born, that should of given J.K a thought of letting Ted have his parents, the one's Harry never had.

We all have our opinions, that was mine.

Old July 25th, 2007, 2:44 am
First Year

Acceptable.

Okay but disappointing.

Too anti-climatic and too confused.

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:13 am
First Year

uhhh...it was absolutely outstanding.....loved it!

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:14 am
Second Year

Book Review of THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

”HARRY POTTER and the Deathly Hallows” Book Review

I usually do not post book reviews, but a great deal has been made about this last installment of J.K. Rowling’s "HARRY POTTER" series that I thought I might as well say something. I have only been a die hard fan of the series since the release of the third movie, ”PRISONER OF AZKABAN” in 2004. I had also seen the first two movies in the theaters. I had enjoyed both, but it was the third film that had induced me to read the novels. Between [b]”AZKABAN”/b] and the books, I became a die-hard fan. But this is not about the other stories. This is about the last . . . ”THE DEATHLY HALLOWS”

I am going to make this short. As much as I have enjoyed the series, I have come to the realization that I like the last five novels – starting with ”AZKABAN” more than I do the first two. I guess I find it easier to relate the increasingly ambiguous nature of the story. And if there is one thing I can say about ”THE DEATHLY HALLOWS” is that it is one hell of an ambiguous novel. In this novel, Harry Potter and his two friends – Ron Weasley and Hermoine Granger – truly start on their road to adulthood. And this, I believe, is one of the major strengths of this novel.

By the time I came to the middle of the novel, I realized that for the first time in the series, most of its setting would take place away from Hogswarts. A part of me felt slightly disappointed that Harry, Ron and Hermoine did not reach the school until the last several chapters of the novel. On the other hand, I feel that this was the correct thing for Rowling to do. For me, ”THE DEATHLY HALLOWS” definitely seemed like a ”coming of age” story for our three protagonists. It was a maturity that they strongly needed in order to face the main villain, Lord Voldemort (aka Tom Riddle) and his Death Eaters. Looking back on the story, I do not think that Harry, Ron and Hermoine would have acquired their maturity and backbone if the story had mainly been set at Hogswarts. I think it was a very good move on Rowling’s part.

And our three heroes truly did grow. Hermoine learned to face her feelings for Ron and overcome that narrow-minded superiority that originally made her dismiss the legend of the Deathly Hallows. Ron learned to overcome his insecurity about his abilities as a wizard, his views on non-human magical creatures like house elves . . . and face his feelings for Hermoine. And Harry learned to overcome his tendency to play lone wolf and realize that people are not always what they seemed to be. The truths about Sirius’ treatment of Kreacher, Dumbledore’s past and his desires for powers, Snape’s feelings for Lily Potter and his true role in the war against Voldemort were powerful lessons for Harry. And I guess one could say they were powerful lessons for Ron and Hermoine, as well.

Of course, the deaths of Fred Weasley, Colin Creevy, Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks and others were painful. But it was the death of Dobby that really moved me to tears. And the trio’s painful adventures throughout the British Isles seemed like another version of Homer’s “ODYSSEY” that probably lifted this last installment almost to an epic quality. I only have three complaints about ”THE DEATHLY HALLOWS”:

a) Aside from Horace Slughorn, none of the Slytherins had participated in the battle. It annoyed me that Rowling went through all of that trouble to allow Harry not to judge others for superficial reasons . . . and yet, she insisted upon maintaining the clichés about the Slytherins that they could not be trusted;

b) I wish that Harry had revealed to the others – especially the other Death Eaters that Voldemort was a half-blood;

c) The final battle at Hogswarts seemed like one chapter too long at times. But what can one expect when it was interrupted twice – first by Snape’s death and past memories and later by Harry’s ghostly encounter with Dumbledore?

But ”THE DEATHLY HALLOWS” also had some great moments. Here are my favorites:

a) Bill and Fleur’s wedding was a hilarious family affair for the Weasleys, until Kingsley Shacklebolt’s patronus warned them of the encoming Death Eaters;

b) Harry, Ron and Hermoine’s adventures in London – including their break-in of the Ministry of Magic;

c) Ron’s return and Hermoine’s reaction;

d) The trio’s adventures at the Malfoy Manor and their reunion with Dobby, Ollivander, Dean Thomas and Luna Lovegood;

e) The trio’s escape from Gringotts on a blind dragon;

f) Harry and Hermoine’s creepy visit to Godric’s Hollow;

g) The trio’s visit to the Lovegood home;

h) The trio’s encounter with Albeforth Dumbledore;

i) The trio’s return to Hogswarts;

j) Ron and Hermoine’s first kiss;

k) Ginny’s birthday kiss to Harry;

l) The chapter on Snape’s memories of Lily Evans Potter and Albus Dumbledore – which in my opinion was my favorite in the entire novel.

I wonder if J.K. Rowling will write any other books, now that she has finished her opus on the boy wizard, Harry Potter. If she does, I hope that they will be as excellent as the seven novels that have entertained the public for the last decade. But if her next book or books are not as good, I will not hold it against her. After all, she did create Harry Potter for all of us to enjoy for years to come – in both the novels and the movies.

Old July 25th, 2007, 6:53 am
Seventh Year

I picked Outstading. It is my favourite book of the series and a wonderful way to finish it off. It had a lot of twists and turns and was exciting and emotionally gripping. I love how beautifully she tied things up and how everything was tied together and made sense. I absolutely LOVED it.

I did however not like the Epilogue. Too fanfic-ish.

Old July 25th, 2007, 7:02 am
Registered Animagus

Oh man where to start. The only reason I finished this book is because Ive spent the past 10 or so years of my life reading HP and I had to read the final book for myself for closure and such. If it had been any other book I would have thrown it away after the third chapter.

The characters all seemed so.. out of character! Dudly feeling remorse for Harry? Not right at all. Another instance of me feeling like a character was acting out of character was when Ron returned and Hermione was so angry towards him. I kept thinking "ooh its an imposter or someone using polyjuice potion" or something because there is no way Hermione would ever act like that.
I keep feeling like the book was boring, but thats not really true because something was always happening. The problem (for me) was that I was hardly ever interested in what was going on. It was more like "oh another narrow escape.. ummm ... yay?" a lot.
So many of their escapes were so incredibly far-fetched (even for HP) that I became frustrated.

However there were bits I enjoyed. I liked how it ended up that Snape was good and Dumbledore wasnt all he was made out to be. I thought the death of Fred was really eye-opening for the characters and an important moment. It had a lot of impact (for me at least, and I felt for the other characters) because he was pretty much a child (I know legally he wasnt but he was more a child than an adult) and a child so close to the main characters.

But the worst bit for me was the "19 years later". I think we could have done with maybe one or two years later. Most devoted book-readers would know that Hermione/Ron and Ginny/Harry would happen. It didnt need to be spelt out for us.

Over all, my least favourite book. But on the plus side I am not left wanting anymore HP books. The ending was fine.

Old July 25th, 2007, 10:10 am
Superman

I awarded the book an E, mainly because I am an awfully tough marker.

My thoughts on this book are mainly positive, as it is a good book and vastly superior to the two that came before it. There are a few complaints though, that in my opinion hurt the book a little. However, to begin with I'll discuss what I did like.

Dumbledore's back story ~ The series most mysterious character and what an interesting and intriguing back story it turned out to be. It would good to hear about the young Albus and to witness the events that made him the wizard he was to become. In many ways he was a puppet-master with no one ally knowing the entire truth. Essentially he hedged his bets the whole way through, in order to eventually see the Dark Lord fall.

Great character moments ~ everyone gets their time to shine (a little), from Dudley showing appreciation to Harry for saving his life, to Percy returning to the fold for the final showdown, there are a number of character moments in this book that should please the fans of almost all characters.

Action packed and strong plot ~ My favourite book of the series remains GoF, one of the reasons I love it so much is because of the amount of action in that book. Deathly Hallows is much the same, like GoF it is plot driven rather than primarily character driven and I believe that gave it a stronger central storyline from which events could occur. This is in contrast to both HBP and OotP which were really had weak central plots (Oh and I'm still not convinced that OotP really needed to be written but thats another argument altogether).

Conclusion ~ most of it was very strong and quite smart and I don't expect most readers to understand the intricacies until their second, third or fourth readings.

Deaths ~ Some people will hate the deaths. After all, much loved characters such as Lupin were killed without too much being said and I suppose that is fair enough. I loved the deaths because most, if not all, occurred naturally within the war-like setting. In wars, people simply die, theres no great underlying reason for it and almost all deaths occur without any celebration to mask their wonderful lives. Its depressing but also real and I appreciated that.

Harry ~ He's a hero. He really is. Any doubts about that should be eroded after finishing Deathly Hallows. Like any good hero Harry was prepared to put it all on the line and pay whatever price was necessary to ensure that his friends and the world at large was protected.

No romance ~ Thank god! A massive lack of romance in this book and it was infinitely better because of it. Of course still too much Ron and Hermione nonsense (Yay! For abusive relationships) but it was not anywhere near as tedious as HBP.

Now some of the things I didn't so much like:

Camping time ~ Harry, Ron and Hermione are the series' three central characters but throughout the six books they have typically been bounced off a growing list of interesting minor characters. For the first time (or at least the first truly extended time), the three have only themselves to interact with and these passages did tend to drag a bit. For one, Ron offers very little (most notable because the book barely skips a beat when he runs away) and Hermione tends to be good for providing information but is not that good for directing intelligent conversation between the three. These sections really could've benefits from mixing it up a little more and the only reason they were not truly awful is because often then surrounded by a lot of action.

Inconsistencies ~ Secret-keeper issues, with JK personally saying that secrets die with the death of the keeper, whereas DH states that the secret is diluted between those remaining who know the secret.

A few random bits ~ Ron getting into the Chamber was a bit of a stretch. After all, this is Ron we're talking about but I guess up until that point he had done little of note. Voldemort died a little too easily, the showdown could've been a little more epic. The Deluminator directing Ron back to the group was again a little bit of a stretch - good to see that Dumbledore knew he would run away though

Overall, the pluses definitely outweigh the negatives and this was a very good book. I imagine that in time it'll settle to be my second favourite of the series and certainly was vastly superior to the mostly unnecessary OotP and HBP.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:40 am
First Year

Loved the book but you could tell that JK had originally planned it differently and had left various plotlines or sub plots that were left unresolved since they got abandoned for the new direction. Or maybe they were just red herrings.. such as Aunt Muriel's tiara.. still dont know what the deal with that was and why Jo took additional pains to mention it during the last book and this book.

Did Snape know about the horcruxes? did aberforth know snape was on their side?? because when Harry asked the mirror for help, next thing you know Snape's Patronus shows up with the sword.

Was Snape's affection for Lily the sole reason for Dumbledore trusting him?
Did others know about it?
What became of the Dursleys?
What was the eventual fate of the Mafloys? (Apparently Draco moved on and got married but were his parents ever punished?)

And oh how I wished Neville to slice off Bellatrix's head. But thats ok.. She still died..

What became of Umbridge? And Rita Skeeter?

At least Umbridge needed to die a horrible painful death.

And how I wished Dumbledore had survived. My favorite character from the series and no matter how much light was shed on him during the book, my feelings about his charisma and integrity have not changed.

Overall a great book, the main three characters did come a long way since book 1 specially Harry.. He could and in someways is the most tragic young hero in modern literature. Brave, noble and hiding a lot of misery and agony.. a quintessential hero.. A fitting end...

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:36 pm
First Year

All the deaths are described and done superbly.
However, I was quite disappointed with the endings. I expect a more tragic endings to end up this amazing series, such as the death of one of the trio

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:19 pm
Third Year

My review: overall I really enjoyed the book and it was brilliant. But it's taken a few days for this reaction to sink in, because after I finished I was so over-whelmed and upset (SNAPE!!!) that I kind of had this weird mourning period I think. I cried and cried for a while and had to go off and think about what I read. Then I went back to it and realised how brilliant it is. I loved the first half, actually up until Snape's death I was loving every minute (with a few exceptions), although I was a bit shaky and upset because I knew the conclusion was coming and I was dreading it! Snape's death, and his unrequited love, killed me and I was very upset. Again though, overall I enjoyed it, it’s very clever in terms of plot and character development, but there were parts that will put me off reading it again for a while, mostly the stuff about Snape. I don’t think I’ll be able to read any of the books for a long time actually, even though I do think it will take a while and a few re-reads to really understand the conclusion, for me anyway. I read it pretty slow, I started Saturday morning and finished Monday morning (extreme willpower!) so I don't think I need to re-read to get stuff I missed.

My favourite bits, things I loved:
1. Dudley telling Harry he doesn't think he's a waste of space
2. The wedding, and Ginny and Harry's birthday kiss
3. I thought Ron leaving was good because the three of them staying like that camping around for ages was getting a bit annoying
4. I really loved Hermione in this book, it’s the first book I've really liked her a lot actually, and I loved the thing with her and Ron kissing after he defends the house elves.
5. Other characters I loved were Ron’s aunt, Kreacher, Luna, Fred and George (ahhh) and Percy. I loved the bit where Percy came back. Also Neville was brilliant in it, so was Aberforth, running around at the end cursing people and fighting. And I loved finding out Petunia sent a letter to DD asking could she go to Hogwarts!
6. Molly killing Bellatrix was brilliant, if a bit unrealistic, but still enjoyable.
7. I absolutely loved the Snape’s memories chapter, (except for the tears!) I think its the best of any of the books, it links the whole thing together and was so well done. I always knew there was something with him and Lily, remember in OoTP, when Harry sees into his mind he sees a young red haired girl laughing...
8. The fight scene at Hogwarts was the best in the book I think, so detailed and even funny at parts, (Fred going “Nice night for it!” as Harry runs past looking for the Horcrux, lol). I loved when all the centaurs and elves and everyone joined in.
9. Other stuff I loved were the dragon, every scene with Hagrid and Grawp, the bit where Ron tells everyone in the Room of Requirement about the exceptions to the law of transfiguration, the Potterwatch station and the bit where they go to Godric’s Hollow and there’s a statue and plaque for them, that was a sad bit too.
10. Finally I loved that JKR has ended her, and in a sense our (because we love it so much) story with good triumphing over evil, in a believable, entertaining and conlcusive way. IMO she has written one of the most tragic love stories and complex characters I have ever read and I'll still be reading these books when I'm 70. (If I stop smoking..) Of course there are things we don't know, like Harry's parents jobs etc, but in fairness, we can't know everything and it just mustn't be that important to the story or else it would be in there.

Things I didn’t really like:
1. Snape’s death- oh my God, I think that is the saddest thing I have EVER read, I was in bits, I didn’t really cry at anything else, well except Dobby. When he goes to Harry, “look..at..me” and when he says to DD “always” I started crying, like an idiot! But aside from the sadness of Snape dying, alone, while everyone hates him I thought the actual death was stupid. He died for a stupid reason, because VM thought the wand was in his power. Which brings me to the next thing I didn’t like:

2. Voldemort, supposedly this great evil genius, is actually pretty stupid- I mean hiding the tiara in the Room of Requirement, seriously! It’s just not believable. Surely he knew that Malfoy used that exact room to get the Death Eaters into the castle the year before? And how he didn’t understand anything about the wand or about Harry. I get how he died, it’s basically because the wand wouldn’t work on Harry so the curse rebounded, and VM was mortal again, right? If he had been using a different wand, or if Harry had not been wand master, then Harry might have died? So it was a fluke that saved Harry, it seems, as much as it was love and sacrifice.

3. I didn’t like how, as some mention, DD came across a bit iffy, I love how he seems more human but he also didn’t really seem to know what he was doing, why leave the Hallows symbol for them if he didn’t want Harry to have them? Unless he wanted him to only get them at the very end or something. At least now we know what he was moaning about when he drank the potion in the cave though, and again I loved hearing about his family and his past. I also quite liked Grindelwald, what a fun character he was!

4. I thought Harry being related to the Peverell men was a bit far-fetched, does that mean he’s related to Voldemort? I kind of liked the hidden meaning to the cloak though, no one saw that coming.

5. I also didn’t like the epilogue, what a waste of time! Except for the Albus Severus thing though, that made up for it slightly. Poor Snape
Harry didn’t even react when he found out any of the Snape being good stuff, which also annoyed me a bit. I wish we could have seen people giving Snape serious love and respect.

6. The Griphook thing seemed slightly irrelevant, he was involved pretty heavily for a while then legged it. Maybe Jo wanted to show more different sides to all different magical creatures, which is fair enough.

7. I thought there was a bit of confusion over the Fidelius Charm, I was wondering how it was working and how Hagrid got to Godric's Hollow, something I thought would be cleared up.

8. I was also expecting someone else to be there that night, besides the Potters and VM I mean.

9. I thought the way Neviile and co. were hiding in the RoR was a bit easy or something, although I suppose Snape maybe helped. Also how everyone suddenly knew the HH barman was DDs brother when they never knew before was a bit silly.

10. I kind of both liked and disliked the new mature Harry, I suppose it’s necessary in a way and after all he is kinda the boss. But I felt sad about it too, thinking about how young he was and now it's all over and he's grown up..When he was addressing VM for the last time, and when he walked into the Forest, I was so sad because I thought this is it, Harry is grown up and it's over...

Old July 25th, 2007, 1:39 pm
First Year

Deathly Hallows: One of the Worst Books I have Read

Let me preface by saying that I did not despair on the series with the 4th, 5th, or even 6th books, as many people did. I understand in an epic piece of literature there comes a time for boring explanatory plot in the middle, and lots of it. No problem, it was well done.

On to the subject at hand though. Upon finishing Deathly Hallows I was severely dissapointed with the book. Here are a few of the things which I have problems with, starting with the least important, ending with the detrimental:

1. Everything about the way the Hallows came into play. They were introduced far too late in the series, we had heard nothing about them at all before halfway through this book. So all the sudden these legendary items become a defining and central piece of the harry potter story... at approximately 9/10ths through the story. Imagine if Frodo got to Mordor and then Gandalf sent him a message along the lines "Oh BTW forgot to tell you that dagger you've had since scene 1 is the dagger of UxkGathank and can kill Sauron with one hit." LAME.

2. The way characters died. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for main characters dying, but the ones that did and how they did was just all wrong. First thing wrong here, no one that anyone really cared about died. There wasn't a single death that overshadowed Dumbledore's, which there should have been in the climax. One of the main characters should have died, or at the very minimum Hagrid. Fred was just a poor choice, there was no real significance to him dying, other than giving the weasley's someone to mourn, could have been done with any of them. The way everyone died, like Lupin and Tonks, seemed to be off "camera" or in a very non elaborate way (IE fred, Boom goes a wall, dead is fred... boring).

3. Worthy of its own point, was Snape's death. Snape was the best character Rowling had, the most developed and believable. Yet his death scene is to sit there and hope Voldemort changes his mind? In HBP you learn that Snape is without a doubt one of the best Wizards currently alive. If you rate Dumbledore as the best, and figure even he had to use Snape for things he couldn't do (cure the ring curse), you come to the conclusion that Snape should have been somewhere near the level it takes to compete with Voldemort in a duel. Snape at the least deserved his own duel with Voldemort barely scraping out a win against him, I mean the final showdown was happening, why the **** was Snape still pretending to be on the bad side?

4. Before the 7th came out many people wanted to know how in the world three non graduated students were going to find and destroy 3 horcrux's when the pursuit of two nearly caused the demise of Dumbledore, the greatest wizard there was? Well the solution is simple, just drink some polyjuice potion, grab the horcrux, and hit it with a sword. Let's think about this, the most wanted person in the entire wizarding world manages to get into the ministry of magic, Gringotts, and Hogwart's, sustaining minor injuries throughout. He does this without the help of any full fledged wizards. I wonder how far Osama Bin Laden would get infiltrating the CIA headquarters, the Federal Reserve, and the White House, even if he did have an invisible cloak.

5. The battle between Harry and Voldemort. I mean, need a say more than weak? Okay let me paint a picture for you. Bad guy and good guy circle each other in front of a bunch of people for like 10 minutes while the good guy explains to the Bad guy why everything he does is wrong. Sounds good to me, big build up for an epic battle of good and evil, so here we go time for the fight and.... Avada Kedavra! Expeliarmus! Boom! Voldemort is dead! We waited 10 years for the final showdown between these two and all you get is a speech followed by a single paragraph description of the fight itself. Harry did nothing, he just let voldemort's spell rebound on him by virtue of the fact that he happened to be holding the Elder wand. Whippeee.

6. Where is the battle of good and evil? Oh yes I remember that good and bad people killed each other, but where is the struggle? Where is the moral dilemna? Harry never has an inkling of evil tendencies the entire series! The worst he ever does is get snappy and distrust his elders, never is tempted or has any real internal conflict. I found Harry to be completely unbelievable as a character. Snape is the only good character in the entire series, and he gets relatively little time for it. The following article expresses what I mean here much more eloquently, so here it is if you care to see:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0725/p...op.html?page=1

7. The final chapter. Blech! Is it possible to write a more cliche happily ever after ending than this one? I submit that it is not.

Rowling had a real chance to do something great with this book. It was one of the most popular (if not the most) books of all time, 12 million copies at launch or something like that. So many people were reading this story and waiting for the ending, she could have made a real point, some sort of truth for us all to learn from. At the very least something to make millions of people think. Instead she gives a cookie cutter ending that actually requires you to shut off a large portion of your brain even to stomach it.

I welcome whatever criticism you have of my position, but remember "Argument is not simply contradiction."

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Third Year

Re: Deathly Hallows: One of the Worst Books I have Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendaryhobo View Post

1. Everything about the way the Hallows came into play. They were introduced far too late in the series, we had heard nothing about them at all before halfway through this book. So all the sudden these legendary items become a defining and central piece of the harry potter story... at approximately 9/10ths through the story. Imagine if Frodo got to Mordor and then Gandalf sent him a message along the lines "Oh BTW forgot to tell you that dagger you've had since scene 1 is the dagger of UxkGathank and can kill Sauron with one hit." LAME.

2. The way characters died. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for main characters dying, but the ones that did and how they did was just all wrong. First thing wrong here, no one that anyone really cared about died. There wasn't a single death that overshadowed Dumbledore's, which there should have been in the climax. One of the main characters should have died, or at the very minimum Hagrid. Fred was just a poor choice, there was no real significance to him dying, other than giving the weasley's someone to mourn, could have been done with any of them. The way everyone died, like Lupin and Tonks, seemed to be off "camera" or in a very non elaborate way (IE fred, Boom goes a wall, dead is fred... boring).

3. Worthy of its own point, was Snape's death. Snape was the best character Rowling had, the most developed and believable. Yet his death scene is to sit there and hope Voldemort changes his mind? In HBP you learn that Snape is without a doubt one of the best Wizards currently alive. If you rate Dumbledore as the best, and figure even he had to use Snape for things he couldn't do (cure the ring curse), you come to the conclusion that Snape should have been somewhere near the level it takes to compete with Voldemort in a duel. Snape at the least deserved his own duel with Voldemort barely scraping out a win against him, I mean the final showdown was happening, why the **** was Snape still pretending to be on the bad side?

4. Before the 7th came out many people wanted to know how in the world three non graduated students were going to find and destroy 3 horcrux's when the pursuit of two nearly caused the demise of Dumbledore, the greatest wizard there was? Well the solution is simple, just drink some polyjuice potion, grab the horcrux, and hit it with a sword. Let's think about this, the most wanted person in the entire wizarding world manages to get into the ministry of magic, Gringotts, and Hogwart's, sustaining minor injuries throughout. He does this without the help of any full fledged wizards. I wonder how far Osama Bin Laden would get infiltrating the CIA headquarters, the Federal Reserve, and the White House, even if he did have an invisible cloak.

5. The battle between Harry and Voldemort. I mean, need a say more than weak? Okay let me paint a picture for you. Bad guy and good guy circle each other in front of a bunch of people for like 10 minutes while the good guy explains to the Bad guy why everything he does is wrong. Sounds good to me, big build up for an epic battle of good and evil, so here we go time for the fight and.... Avada Kedavra! Expeliarmus! Boom! Voldemort is dead! We waited 10 years for the final showdown between these two and all you get is a speech followed by a single paragraph description of the fight itself. Harry did nothing, he just let voldemort's spell rebound on him by virtue of the fact that he happened to be holding the Elder wand. Whippeee.

6. Where is the battle of good and evil? Oh yes I remember that good and bad people killed each other, but where is the struggle? Where is the moral dilemna? Harry never has an inkling of evil tendencies the entire series! The worst he ever does is get snappy and distrust his elders, never is tempted or has any real internal conflict. I found Harry to be completely unbelievable as a character. Snape is the only good character in the entire series, and he gets relatively little time for it. The following article expresses what I mean here much more eloquently, so here it is if you care to see:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0725/p...op.html?page=1

7. The final chapter. Blech! Is it possible to write a more cliche happily ever after ending than this one? I submit that it is not.

Rowling had a real chance to do something great with this book. It was one of the most popular (if not the most) books of all time, 12 million copies at launch or something like that. So many people were reading this story and waiting for the ending, she could have made a real point, some sort of truth for us all to learn from. At the very least something to make millions of people think. Instead she gives a cookie cutter ending that actually requires you to shut off a large portion of your brain even to stomach it.

I welcome whatever criticism you have of my position, but remember "Argument is not simply contradiction."

I'll take some of your points and argue them, since you offered

1. First of all, continuous comparisons between LOTR and HP annoy me. While they share similar themes and the whole father figure thing, among other things maybe, they are still very different books. I get the point you're making, and I agree that the Hallows storyline should have maybe been even hinted at or mentioned previously, but how could they have been for the plot to work? If Harry found out they existed when he was younger the whole point of them would be meaningless. Harry had to find out about them at a point when he believed he had no hope except a dark and clueless path- but he chose to trust DD and take that path anyway, becoming Master of Death in the end because of it.

2. I definitely disagree with you here. No one that anyone really cared about died?? Snape's death overshadowed DDs by a mile, especially since we found out DD planned his death and Snape risked his life by helping him! Snape died worse than any other character, his death stands out over all 7 books because he died alone (Harry was there but Harry hates him), friendless and with people thinking he was an evil coward. Snape is the true hero of the series and his death was a tragedy, as was Lupin and Tonks', although I accept these deaths as necessary for realism and plot development, because JKR nicely mirrored Harry's situation with Teddy Lupins. You say no main characters really died but Snape, Fred, Dobby, Lupin, and Moody are main and important characters, and I think it was very realistic how the deaths were done "off camera" and not in an elaborate way. It is more realistic.

3. I do however agree with you here and this point is one I've been making since I read the book. I was very, very disappointed with how Snape died because it was such a stupid reason. I can accept why Snape remained on VMs side and why there was no interaction with him and Harry but I can't accept that he died simply because Draco disarmed DD on the tower.

Some other general things, I don't think JKR has let people down or given us a simplistic ending, I think the ending is complex and will be re-read until it is fully understood. Yes, Harry won in part because of a fluke (the wand allegiance) but along the way he does have a moral dilemma (Hallows or Horcurxes?) and he does suffer horribly, and he does have the option to be selfish and run away and leave everything but he chooses not to. He gets through mostly on luck and help but also because he is unique.
I do agree with your points on Snape, but that's about it. Maybe if someone was writing a children's book on Osama Bin Laden infiltrating the CIA, we would see it happen..

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:19 pm
First Year

Outstanding. A brilliant Masterplan revealed. Engrossing from the first moment, I was worried for every single person throughout the whole book. My worries that it all might end nasty were finally lifted. And did that bug me through the years! Yes there are a few details left to speculation, and of course I would have liked the book to be at least double as long.
I haven't read anyone who can plot like JK... Three Cheers!

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:44 pm
First Year

1. The Hallows were introduced when they needed to be. What function would it have served if Harry knew in book 1 that the cloak was a Hallow? Two of the Hallows were seen before this book, they just weren't named. Dumbledore wanted him to get each as it was needed. He was afraid Harry would be tempted by them as he had been. That's how Dumbledore got himself in trouble with the ring Horcrux. But for the temptation of bringing back his sister, his hand would not have been cursed.

2. Did you want them to be murdered creatively? Go watch a horror movie.
JKR is showing us that killing is neither pretty nor exciting. Each of the good characters died doing something heroic. Fred, Lupin, and Tonks died fighting the good fight. Dobby was saving Harry's life. Snape was keeping with the plan. Hedwig, well, she was a painful casualty. I'm not sure of the necessity of her death. JKR didn't want to make provision for Hedwig (or the MIA Crookshanks) during the Trio's journey, I guess.

3. I was surprised that Snape didn't put up a fight, but perhaps he was facing death with open eyes the way Harry did. He knew it was the end of the line.

4. I find nothing simple in: making a deal with a goblin, risking life and limb, getting burned horribly, scrambling to find a way out, and blasting through a huge building to escape. Voldemort's minions got into the Ministry. It's a less secure building than it appears. Again, our heroes escaped by the skin of their teeth.

5. You've got a point on this one. It did go pretty quick. But I do like the idea that Harry didn't kill Voldemort. That his own backfiring AK knocked him off. Hitler had an ignoble death, so did Voldemort. I wouldn't want either to go out in a blaze of glory. The scene also shows that you can have great power and still screw up royally. Voldemort was convinced he was invincible, so he made foolish mistakes. Using the RoR to hide the diadem-dumb move, but he was so sure no one would ever discover his secret that he thought it was safe there.

6. For Harry's internal conflict, read book 5. This book shows us more of Dumbledore's moral conflicts than Harry's. Dumbledore even expresses how Harry is stronger than he is-having consciously avoided the dark path. Harry is on a set course to avenge his parents' deaths and save the world. This singlemindedness leaves little room for 'should I be a good guy or a bad guy'. In the scenes where the Trio wear the locket, you see how Harry and Hermoine can fight off it's negative influence better than Ron. Harry is even better than Hermoine when wearing it. He's a pure soul. The complete opposite of Voldemort's maimed, flayed child of a soul.

7. As for the Epilogue, I loved it. It gives us a pleasant view of what Wizard life is like in 2017. Two happy families sending their kids off to school. Very idyllic. It reminds me of the first book: the happy, busy mood at King's Cross. Keep in mind, this chapter was written around 1999. JKR's writing style has changed since then, it has a very different feel from the rest of the book. Yes, I would have liked to know what everybody's occupations are, what happened to other characters, why the Hell Draco named his kid Scorpius, but that would have made for a long, incongruous chapter jumping from character to character, describing what happened to each. JKR focused on the primary good guys-the Trio, and the primary surviving bad guy-Draco.
Hopefully, a History of Hogwarts compendium is in the offing.

Few books have caused me to read them entirely in one sitting. From 12:30 pm Saturday afternoon to 9:00 that night, I was absorbed into the world of Harry Potter. The book was chilling, terrifying, exciting, thrilling, and ultimately satisfying. I think that this is exactly the story JKR wanted to tell.

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:16 pm
First Year

I finished reading the seventh book to Harry Potter, and I was so happy that Harry lived and everything but I was also dessapointed because that was her last book. I mean I think that she ended the book to fast. I know that in the end HJarry ends up marrying Ginny, and Ron ends up with Hermoine. Does anybody but me think that J.K Rowling's ended her last and final book of Harry Potter a little to quick? I hope that in the future she will she that she made a mistake and wright more books about Harry Potter, don't you all agree?

I agree

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives