Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room

Harry Potter and The School Curriculum

Old July 29th, 2007, 2:18 pm
First Year

Harry Potter and The School Curriculum

Mods ~ Appologies if there is already a thread in relation to this, i did search but found nothing

Ok, so after listening to the Mugglecast broadcast from DH launch night, one lady commented on HP being taught in schools.

At my school we were taught classics like Animal Farm by George Orwell, Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck and numerous Shakespeare plays.
We were shown how to analyse and when making statements in our essay questions how to support them with accurate quotes. Themes,characters and motives were discussed and ideas thrown around which lead to good class discussions.

Now i think this is a great idea that Harry could be taught in schools, but we all know how controversial the series seems to be.

What do you think? Would you be happy if your children were taught it at school??

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 2:53 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter and The School Curriculum

I'd be happy to be taught it for my GCSE's I think perhaps the first 3 books for younger readers (year 4/5/6) and then in secondary/high school, the other 4..

Old July 29th, 2007, 3:11 pm
First Year

When I was in 11th grade my AP Psychology teacher had us read them to see if any of the characters had disorders involved with them aside from being a squib or a muggle etc.

Old July 29th, 2007, 3:13 pm
Second Year

no way!

i love harry potter, but come on man, unless you're taking a harry potter class in college, it doesn't belong in the classrooom.

besides, u hardly ever have contemporary novels taught in high school.

Old July 29th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Second Year

Well, the classics like Animal Farm may have been controversial when they were written, but I agree, I think HP just seems too 'new' to be done in schools. I've also done Animal Farm in the last term before summer started ^^

And my school probably wouldn't start teaching it anyway, they take too long to pick up on stuff like that xD

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:10 am
Second Year

I would like to myself teach Harry Potter as a college literature course if I were a teacher. Just imagine, a whole semester of being able to talk about all the philosophical as well as historical and spiritual symbolism in the books. As far as regular school curriculum, if it helped kids learn, yes. I remember some years back that teachers were using that Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" to teach history. HP could be used to teach similar things.

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:11 pm
Fifth Year

No. They are good books to read and chat about but not for a classroom. In 4th class our teacher read the first two books to us and in 5th class the teacher started the third but realised anyone who liked the books already had it read and anyone who didn't like them refused to listen. I think it's alright to read them to Primary School children but not as part of a currcuum to be studied. Which book would you chose or would you have to read and study all seven?
I remember once we started English in First Year (of secondary school) we weren't allowed even do a book review on Harry Potter.

Old July 30th, 2007, 3:09 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris_Cymru View Post
Now i think this is a great idea that Harry could be taught in schools, but we all know how controversial the series seems to be.
The more controversial the better I say. Until writers like Steve King came along Steinbeck was one of the most banned authors in the US, especially The Grapes of Wrath.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 30th, 2007, 3:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
The more controversial the better I say. Until writers like Steve King came along Steinbeck was one of the most banned authors in the US, especially The Grapes of Wrath.
Exactly!
Don't get me wrong i don't think it will be taught yet, but I certainly think that the series could be used. There is so much to talk about in them - look at us here a Cos, we debate about themes and characters.

Old July 30th, 2007, 4:26 pm
First Year

I think it would be so much fun to be an high school English teacher who gets to study Harry Potter with the class. The only thing that might make it difficult is the length of the series. But there really is so much to talk about. And I would make them all writer thesis papers, but allow them to choose the topic because there are so many topics to choose from! It would be so much fun to grade.

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Third Year

I think that the HP books should be used in schools! HP is going to become one of those stories that we will all tell our kids, and so on! But schools never seem to put any fun books in their reading list!

Old July 30th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Fifth Year

Well if they had them at my school and we done an exam on it, at least theres one exam i know i passed!

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old July 30th, 2007, 6:15 pm
Second Year

As a big fan, i would love it if Harry Potter were taught at school. In year 6, our teacher read us books one, two and three-a chapter every day. The whole class loved them.

I know there are some people who don't want their children to read Harry Potter for various reasons but i think that, as a majority, people wouldn't mind it. I mean, at my school, you don't have to do religious studies if you don't want to, so why should this be any different?

Old July 30th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Second Year

Most certainly not, the first one I read while at primary School [10-12] and I think they should be introduced at that age, they are also used in the Junior Cert here in Ireland at the lower levels.

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:19 am
Fifth Year

Since when? I never heard of that. I did hear people try to put Ross O'Carroll-Kelly on the Leaving but that was just wierdnesss. Was it for Ordinary? In Junior Cycle our teacher gave us a book of reccommended reading which was basicially a list of all the books that had every been on the Junior Cert. And Harry Potter was nowhere to be seen. Course she was one of those teachers who banned Potter from anything "literature" related.

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:43 am
First Year

I think it would be cool say if there was a unit on fantasy or fiction and Harry Potter was one of the choices for students to read. I always think choices are nice. And its not like HP is just mindless enjoyment, there is a lot of wisdom for people of all ages packed in those books.

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:20 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, I think it's important to teach the classics, but it's also important to note that a lot of the classics that are taught (for instance, Steinback) are relatively recent, say, compared to Dickens or Shakespeare. As long as there was a good balance, I think it could be good to teach Harry Potter. The main problem a lot of kids have with reading for school is that they feel having to analyze and take quizzes takes the fun out of reading, and other kids don't enjoy reading, period. Harry Potter is something a lot of kids enjoy, and as we know from this forum, a lot of people love analyzing the books. I think teaching the books in school might be a good way for kids to learn to read critically in hopefully fun way.

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:35 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Problem is little of the analysis is on the literary aspects of the work.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 31st, 2007, 5:00 am
Second Year

Let's add to the controversy! Books like Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell are very controversial, so I don't see why we couldn't expand the curriculum to great fantasies such as Harry Potter. In 11th grade we read the Hobbit by JRR Tolkien, so why can't we read Harry Potter?

Old July 31st, 2007, 5:02 am
Zonko's Employee

I think it depends on the goal and age of the class. In high school literature choices are focused on college preparation: the classics and essay-writing in relation to the classics. In junior high (roughly ages 12-15) the curriculum seemed to focus more on finding meaning in the text and responding to it. We read a lot of contemporary authors like Orson Scott Card in our English classes and I greatly prefer JK Rowling. (Ender's Game is at least as dark as the Harry Potter series.)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > The Common Room