Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Did Dumbledore know who the HBP was?

Old July 30th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Second Year

Did Dumbledore know who the HBP was?

In HBP, Dumbledore kept asking Harry if he used every means necessary to acquire the memory from Slughorn. I assume that Slughorn told him (Dumbledore) that Harry won the Felix Felicis potion, but did Dumbledore know that Harry had the HBP's old book? And did he know that Snape was the HBP?

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Eldest Gruff

Re: Did Dumbledore know who the HPB was?

Just a reminder:

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Thank you!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:14 pm
First Year

Wait, did Dumbledore ever hear the HBP mentioned in the first place? I'll have to go look it up.

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:43 am
First Year

Perhaps he knew that Snape's nickname in school or what he called himself was the Half-Blood Prince, but I doubt that he would not have known that Harry didn't have it, he is a legilimens and he was probably familiar with Sectumsempra, which Harry used on Malfoy and Dumbledore would have heard of it.

Old July 31st, 2007, 4:02 am
First Year

Considering Snape would have been a student when Dumbledore was a teacher Dumbledore would have known how great a potions master Snape was... For an example look to Neville Longbottom...(Herbology)

Old July 31st, 2007, 7:28 am
Second Year

Re: Did Dumbledore know who the HBP was?

The question is.. Did Snape publicly acknowledge himself as the Half-Blood Prince? If not, wouldn't he be the only one who knew?

Old July 31st, 2007, 1:07 pm
First Year

I woukld imagine that Dumbledore would not have known that Snape went by the name "Half-Blood Prince" during his life. But, if he was told that name by somebody I would think that he would understand who it was referring to. As Snape was under the employ of Hogwarts and Dumbledore, it seems likely to me that Dumbledore will have done research into Snape's background.

If this is true, we can assume that Dumbledore knows about Snape's parentage; Prince & a muggle. Being that the Half-Blood Prince is a superb potions student (when writing in the book), and Snape is the potions master at the school it seems more than likely that it would stand out to Dumbledore that Snape is the Half-Blood Prince.

Old July 31st, 2007, 2:03 pm
Third Year

I dont think Dumbledore knew of the potions book... if he had known surely it would not have been kept in a cupboard in the potions classroom?

Old July 31st, 2007, 2:50 pm
Second Year

I think that Dumbledore had no idea. To me, Snape and the nickname of "Half Blood Prince" relates to Tom Riddle and the nickname "Lord Voldemort". It wasn't one the used openly but only with their friends, but in Snapes case it may have only been with himself.

We have to remember that both Snape and Riddle had fathers who were Muggles who were less than interested in being their father. So because of their disgust with their fathers, they cast away their names.

Old August 1st, 2007, 1:38 pm
Third Year

Well, if Dumbledore didn't know and he heard of the name then he must have figured it out it was Snape but i got a feeling Dumbledore did know and just kept it quite. He probably didn't know about the potions book though.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 1st, 2007, 2:25 pm
First Year

Yeah Dumbledore must have heard of the name in his days as headmaster but I'm not so sure he knew it was Snape

Old August 1st, 2007, 7:59 pm
Second Year

I don't think he did. I don't think Snape meant for anyone to know who the Half-Blood Prince was. The only way Dumbledore would have ever found out is if Snape told him which i think is unlikely.

Old August 1st, 2007, 8:47 pm
First Year

Yeah my thoughts exactly...Snape found out that Harry had the HBP book when Harry hit Malfoy with the sectumsempra curse...He would have even found out without applying Leglimency on him because he knew that he had invented the spell himself...Thats why Snape ordered Harry to bring his school bag with all his books...and then from then on he did not press the matter because Dumbledore would not be so pleased to find out that Snape was the prince all along...

Old August 2nd, 2007, 2:00 am
First Year

Maybe its just a feeling, but I think Dumbledore knew about everything that happened at that school. Throughout 1-6 he has said and done things that make you ask "how did he know that".

Old August 2nd, 2007, 2:49 am
Second Year

I doubt it. Snape was pretty good at keeping those things a secret,

Old August 4th, 2007, 11:12 pm
First Year

If Snape did not tell Dumbledore, where else would he have heard it? It was the name hidden in the potions book. It had to be revealed before the name was visible.

Old August 4th, 2007, 11:31 pm
Second Year

I don't think he would have cared, this was a nickname adopted by a young man while still in school it wasn't a title that he carried to any great length, like Lord Voldemort. so even if he did know about *** self proclaimed title what did it harm anyone.

Old August 5th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Third Year

I dont think Dumbledore knew about it. Snape probably used the name for his own personal thing that he didn't want to share. Also do we know if Snape made many close friends, with who he would be happy to share the name with? We only know the pensieve scene where he was sitting alone, left the exam hall alone, just studyed and kept to himself out on the lawn. Also everyone were jeering and happy to see Snape being flung in the air by James, so I dont think he told anyone, or even had anyone else who he would want to share it with.
So the question remains is how would Dumbledor find out if he did know? I'm guessing Snape told him after nevertheless though

Old August 5th, 2007, 3:01 pm
First Year

I think Snape forgot about the book long ago..It's possible that it did not turn up until Harry got it...

Old August 6th, 2007, 4:43 pm
First Year

I disagree he forgot about the book; it was in his cabinet in the potions room. I doubt he needed to refer to it though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives