Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v3

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on Snape, post-DH?
The same as before - I've always believed in him 147 49.66%
He's not a saint but I think he's a good person at heart. 103 34.80%
I don't like everything he did but I can respect him now. 83 28.04%
I'm torn - he did a lot of good but also a lot of harm. 28 9.46%
I understand more why he acted the way he did but I still don't like him. 41 13.85%
The same as before - I've never liked him 20 6.76%
Other 21 7.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:50 pm
Mouse

Severus Snape: Character Analysis v3

Ummm. . . wow. . . v3 already! v2 is here for your reference: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v2

If you haven't answered the discussion questions, feel free to do so. Otherwise go ahead and continue where we left off.

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

2. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Volemort had targetted with the prophecy?

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

6. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?

7. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

9. There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero.

10. Did Snape fully redeem himself in your eyes? In Harry's?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:13 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v3

Ahh, the thread moved before I could respond to Morgoth! :O

Anyway...*copypasta*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
I think if there were times where the love he had was obsessive or unhealthy that part of his nature died when Lily died. Snape was on the downward spiral when he was drawn into the dark arts and his obsession with them was in part down to his desire for Lily to love him.
This got me thinking...*starts brainstorming*
From what we see of Severus' parents, his father was an abusive man. Growing up with that, perhaps young!Snape, very deep down, came to associate family with violence, and love with power. I can imagine him thinking that the power Tobias had over Eileen would be what kept her by his side.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me

Last edited by ignisia; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:16 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:13 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

YAY! Version three!!!! *parties*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Ahh, the thread moved before I could respond to Morgoth! :O

Anyway...*copypasta*

This got me thinking...*starts brainstorming*
From what we see of Severus' parents, his father was an abusive man. Growing up with that, perhaps Snape, very deep down, came to associate family with violence, and love with power. I can imagine him thinking that the power Tobias had over Eileen would be what kept her by his side.
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I agree. I can't imagine Snape would have ever treated Lily that way, seeing how deeply he loved her and how much he wanted her safe. I don't think necessarily it was power over her that Snape believed would help, but perhaps power in general.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily

Last edited by RWeasleysgirl; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:19 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:30 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I agree. I can't imagine Snape would have ever treated Lily that way, seeing how deeply he loved her and how much he wanted her safe. I don't think necessarily it was power over her that Snape believed would help, but perhaps power in general.
Yeah, that was kinda what I was saying. I was brainstorming and trying to get my thoughts out coherently.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeasleysgirl View Post
YAY! Version three!!!! *parties*

Agreed, also I think that him seeking power also had to do with good guys finish last thing. I mean if we look at it from Snape's POV James and his friends are the bad guys but girls seem to really like them and stuff so maybe he thought if he acted all bad and stuff Lily and other girls would start to like him too.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:49 pm. Reason: edited out evading of auto-censor
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:52 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scantra View Post
Agreed, also I think that him seeking power also had to do with good guys finish last thing. I mean if we look at it from Snape's POV James and his friends are the bad guys but girls seem to really like them and stuff so maybe he thought if he acted all bad and stuff Lily and other girls would start to like him too.
Yeah, that's a good point too.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:18 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy
So yeah, Snape would likely be able to hold on to an unrequitted love easily enough - especially since he wasn't seeking or even open to seeking another that we know of. But all that holding on to something that was never yours and never could be...is just obsessing.
Quote:
By Morgoth
I think if there were times where the love he had was obsessive or unhealthy that part of his nature died when Lily died. Snape was on the downward spiral when he was drawn into the dark arts and his obsession with them was in part down to his desire for Lily to love him. The two obsessions playing to one another, a dark and dangerous pattern forming, which took hold of Snape and as long as Lily was alive, to Snape there was probably always a chance for her to see him as more than a friend. But Snape wasn't hurting at this point. He was falling, but you don't hurt when you fall. You hurt when you hit the ground and Lily's death was Snape hitting the ground harder and faster than he could have imagined.

There was a quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry who said:

"If your love has no hope of being welcomed do not voice it; for if it be silent it can endure, a guarded flame, within you."

I think that after Lily's death this was the love that allowed Snape to carry on. His love for Lily could and never would have been fulfilled. He probably realised this in his heart. The tragedy of her death is that it forced him to realise his biggest mistakes and to relive those awful moments where he had abandoned the parts of him that Lily was fond of. In the end her death gave Snape the opportunity to love Lily the way she would have wanted to be loved and in turn he found that he had the strength to undertake the gravest mission his life would see. Love gives us strength as Dumbledore might say.

Maybe that doesn't come across to everyone, and there's no reason it should, but that's why I believe Snape's love for Lily was not an obsession after her death.
Well I say that is well reasoned. However, I would disagree that Lily's death gave Snape the opportunity to love Lily the way she would have wanted to be loved. She would have wanted Snape's love for her to reflect a love for Harry I am sure. According to JKR, Snape loathed Harry unjustifiably to his death. So in my opinion, something in Snape's character caused him to fail with respect to the love he held for Lily. IMO it was that he was dominated by a persistent desire to love Lily which points to obsessive behavior. If the word "obsession" is a roadblock - we can call it an on-going single minded love. What I see as the problem with that is that it does not allow Snape to extend his love to anything else or anyone else except Lily. I don't think that Lily, who saw the good in everyone, would have wanted Snape's love for her to do that to him.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:21 am
Third Year

If only Lily could've told him he didn't need the Dark Arts or to be a part of something impressive; he'd still be talented and a good friend to her.

But of course Lily never could've figured out that he was actually trying to impress her by becoming a Death Eater. It's such flawed thinking on his part that never would've made sense to her.

I'm guessing she really never knew to give him the encouragement he needed, because it would have meant a lot to him. He probably wouldn't have ignored it, and it would've been contained in the memories he gave Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Well I say that is well reasoned. However, I would disagree that Lily's death gave Snape the opportunity to love Lily the way she would have wanted to be loved. She would have wanted Snape's love for her to reflect a love for Harry I am sure. According to JKR, Snape loathed Harry unjustifiably to his death. So in my opinion, something in Snape's character caused him to fail with respect to the love he held for Lily. IMO it was that he was dominated by a persistent desire to love Lily which points to obsessive behavior. If the word "obsession" is a roadblock - we can call it an on-going single minded love. What I see as the problem with that is that it does not allow Snape to extend his love to anything else or anyone else except Lily. I don't think that Lily, who saw the good in everyone, would have wanted Snape's love for her to do that to him.
Lily's ability to see the good in everyone is part of the reason Snape did love her: It seems no one else really saw the good in him and showed him that much kindness. As a result of that, his love transformed him. Yes, he was nasty, but that was his disposition. He loathed Harry because he was James's son...but his love for Lily allowed him to overcome that and protect Harry regardless, and once Harry knew that, he didn't exactly mind that Snape had been mean whilst trying to save his life. It wouldn't have been like Snape to extend his love to Harry, and I'm not saying that justifies it because that is one of his many flaws.

However, I don't see Lily minding that Snape's love might've been a little obsessive one bit. He worked to protect her son even though she was dead and not there to appreciate it. Right when Voldemort was going to kill him, he wanted to find Harry and give him the memories. Even though he was dying and it would all be over soon, he worked to make Lily proud until the very end. (Yes, there does seem to be an after life in the HP-verse and we get the idea that the dead people know what's going on...but Snape and many of the living characters might not've known or believed that.)

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:35 am
First Year

Ok, my 2 cents about Snape as a whole:
I think he's a great tragic character, perhaps one of the greatest fictional tragic figures I know. His whole life seems to have been filled with misery, but there are some things I don't believe.
I don't believe his love for Lily was obsessive, at least obsessive in a negative manner. He didn't try anything to prevent Lily from marrying James, from what we know - he could have done something against James, wounded him or even killed him out of jealousy, but he didn't. He could have charmed Lily and forced her to love him as Merope did with Tom Riddle senior, but he didn't. When Lily broke up their friendship, Snape left her alone. He didn't stalk her or annoyed her in any way.
Snape was surely sincere when he asked Lily to forgive him for having called her Mudblood. He probably still felt guilty for that in the following years.
And then, the prophecy and the bloody night at Godric's Hollow. Snape was bitten up to his bones with remorse. But Dumbledore prevented him from wasting his life and gave him a new scope: protecting Lily's child.
I thing this triggered off some changes in Snape's life. First of all, he was already a spy for Dumbledore before Voldemort's disappearance in 1981, but he continued to be one even after that. He decided to "hide the best of him", as DD said, and that meant he already started building up his covers for Voldemort's return. He continued being a friend of Lucius Malfoy and of other acquitted DE. This proved very useful when Voldemort returned indeed.
Lily was the bleeding core inside of Snape, yes. But after her death, I don't think Snape lived only obsessed with her. Lily came to signify many things: maybe the first witch of his age he met, his first friend, his first love, peaceful days at Hogwarts before of the war, someone who considered him without prejudices (until the Mudblood etc), a bright spot in all of his life. But, as he tells Harry during the Occlumency lessons, he didn't revel in his sad memories: that would have meant immediate destruction by Voldemort's hands. We don't know exactly when he started teaching at Hogwarts (at least I don't remember it: in the same 1981-82 or in 1982-83?), but I believe Snape found pleasure in being the Potion Master, being head of Slytherin house etc. As for him being a bully teacher, yes, it's true, but at the same time I can find some justification for it. (Other members of this forum have already discussed this point). He was probably more apt teaching grown-up students than children. He was proud of the high quality of his potions class (even Umbridge can't say anything about it) and he admitted only "Outstanding" students in his N.E.W.T.s classes.
We don't have any information about Snape for the period between Lily's death and Harry coming at Hogwarts - the Weasley twins warn Harry that "Snape can be very nasty" in PS/SS, but apart from this phrase, we don't know how Snape's first years as a teacher were. When we meet him at the beginning of the series, after Lily's death, he's for sure a different man from before. He has hardened his character to survive. He was maybe the first to whom Dumbledore had said that Voldemort would come back, and he was preparing his life as a spy. That moment in GoF when Dumbledore asks Snapes to join again the DE had been planned for years, I suppose. Unfortunately he vented his bitterness of his pupils, but he had a sad history behind it.
In a past interview JKR said that Snape was probably worse than Voldemort because he had been loved. Jo said it also to make us believe that Snape was on the evil side, but I think this proved to be wrong. Voldemort's wickedness comes from the inside, not only from the outside (orphan, conceived with a love potion, etc). At Hogwarts Tom Riddle became prefect, Head Boy, prized with medal for special service to the school, he was admired by other students, and teachers went mad about him (just see Slughorn's behaviour). "He was probably the most gifted student Hogwarts had ever had", says Dumbledore. All this adoration could have changed Voldemort, but it didn't. It just lead him toward craving more power.
Snape had an abusive father at home and at Hogwarts he didn't find anyone, any adult figure, that cared for him, considered him, lead him toward the good side. He was so skilled at Potions, yet Slughorn didn't notice it. Nor Dumbledore seems to have cared for Snape while at Hogwarts. In Snape fanfictions (which are no canon at all, I'm just giving an example) it's usual to read that Snape got as many OWLs as Hermione, but no one directed his talents to a good end when he was a boy. As JKR said in the Live Chat, Snape didn't really understand why Lily was so upset by his friendship with the Mulciber / Avery gang. On his first day at Hogwarts he fell under Lucius Malfoy's wings, and no adult get him out from there, at that time. Was it fault of his hooked nose, of his poor appearance?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
From what we see of Severus' parents, his father was an abusive man. Growing up with that, perhaps young!Snape, very deep down, came to associate family with violence, and love with power. I can imagine him thinking that the power Tobias had over Eileen would be what kept her by his side.
I find it more likely that Snape viewed power as a way to prevent himself from being hurt. The person with the power in an abusive relationship is the one who isn't getting hurt. If Snape was hurt by what was going on with his parents (highly likely) then he would probably seek power to prevent people from hurting him anymore. If this premise is correct then I agree with the idea that the Marauders would help enforce this impression in Snape.

I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth ~ Janeane Garofalo
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:41 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scantra View Post
I think he wanted the safe feeling of belonging to a band of people, the self-confidence growing out of the feeling to have a fixed place somewhere (which is - entirely off-topic - also my taking on house-elves of the Winky and Kreacher sort). That is very important for a kid who was mainly alone (we see the teenage Sev lying alone on his bed, so bored that he catches flies with his wand). One friend (Lily) is all very fine, but for the feeling of security it better be some more.

In the real life, that happens all the time as a teenager. You belong to this group, and this is important to you, even though the people themselves might not be that very close to you, and at the same time you have this one or two friends of old. Even though the latter is clearly more valuable than the other, you want - and in a way, you need both.

When you look at the rather common problem of juvenile crime, you'll see that it mostly comes from a number of groups. You think all of these kids in the groups are born, incorrectible criminals? But among their peers and the group dynamics, they think they have to prove themselves, too. And these kids, who now may do nothing more serious than some bits of theft, idolise older guys with more 'street credibility', those who make the real money, those with the great cars. Most juvenile delinquents, by the way, never 'return' to 'crime' incidentally, but only very rare adult criminals started their career as adults.
Those Slytherin schoolboys idolising a group of terrorists (who in their view would certainly be rebels) weren't that different. And fifteen years old frequently mistake respect and fear - they want respect and think inciting fear was the same. In that line of thought, Voldemort as the most-feared man would automatically be the most respected - the leading figure.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:43 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant
I think it shows a lot of strength of character to have dearly wanted to and even threatened to do it, but not followed through, especially after he was knocked unconscious and probably had a bad headache from bumping his head in the tunnel so much.
Just bringing this over from the old thread. It confuses me because Snape was about to actually give Sirius and Lupin to the Dementors when he was knocked out by a triple Expelliarmus, so I don't see why anyone thinks he didn't mean it. And he was delighted when Fudge was going to make sure Sirius got the Kiss, and absolutely furious when he realised Sirius had escaped. We have to accept that Snape really did want Sirius to have his soul sucked out. There is no alternative explanation, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot
When Snape had a chance to feed Sirius to the dementors, he did the right thing and brought him back to the castle - not tied up, but on a stretcher like a parmedic would do.
Don't forget that Sirius had been sentenced to the Dementor's Kiss anyway, so handing him over to Fudge was exactly the same as handing him to the Dementors.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:46 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkginny View Post
I find it more likely that Snape viewed power as a way to prevent himself from being hurt. The person with the power in an abusive relationship is the one who isn't getting hurt. If Snape was hurt by what was going on with his parents (highly likely) then he would probably seek power to prevent people from hurting him anymore. If this premise is correct then I agree with the idea that the Marauders would help enforce this impression in Snape.
Exactly. He was probably unable to protect himself and/or his mother from his father. And at school he was powerless against the Marauders because it was four against one, and they had popularity on their side.

Voldemort's cause promises that he'll have the power he lacks, and among the Death Eaters, his talents in the Dark Arts are admired. (JKR said he joined because he was insecure and vulnerable, which fits.)

I think this is also reflected in his behavior as a teacher: He bullies because he was bullied as a child. He victimizes to escape being the victim. When he first started, he was so young that some students might have remembered him from school. In order to gain their respect, he had to be scary.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:52 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
I think he wanted the safe feeling of belonging to a band of people, the self-confidence growing out of the feeling to have a fixed place somewhere (which is - entirely off-topic - also my taking on house-elves of the Winky and Kreacher sort). That is very important for a kid who was mainly alone (we see the teenage Sev lying alone on his bed, so bored that he catches flies with his wand). One friend (Lily) is all very fine, but for the feeling of security it better be some more.

In the real life, that happens all the time as a teenager. You belong to this group, and this is important to you, even though the people themselves might not be that very close to you, and at the same time you have this one or two friends of old. Even though the latter is clearly more valuable than the other, you want - and in a way, you need both.

When you look at the rather common problem of juvenile crime, you'll see that it mostly comes from a number of groups. You think all of these kids in the groups are born, incorrectible criminals? But among their peers and the group dynamics, they think they have to prove themselves, too. And these kids, who now may do nothing more serious than some bits of theft, idolise older guys with more 'street credibility', those who make the real money, those with the great cars. Most juvenile delinquents, by the way, never 'return' to 'crime' incidentally, but only very rare adult criminals started their career as adults.
Those Slytherin schoolboys idolising a group of terrorists (who in their view would certainly be rebels) weren't that different. And fifteen years old frequently mistake respect and fear - they want respect and think inciting fear was the same. In that line of thought, Voldemort as the most-feared man would automatically be the most respected - the leading figure.
I think you are quite correct about delinquent boys groups. I think the distinction here was that Voldemort was planning to 'cleanse' the wizard world of mudbloods. He wanted immortality and to rule the wizard world. Snape and his group of friends fell behind this character and so it was more than petty theft they would be condoning. They were condoning the death of a certain portion of society, namely mudbloods (we see this is truly the case when Voldemort carry's out his earlier threats in DH killing Mudbloods). This included Lily and that makes it quite unexplainable why Snape would want to be a part of such a group if he loved her. He was all but signing on to be part of a group that would eventually kill her. Maybe he thought he could protect her?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:54 am
First Year

two little question

I don't know if these have been discussed...

1. if snape and harry had gotten a chance to talk, like harry often did with
dumbledore,would snape tell harry "everything"?or just tell him the true of
Horcrux and dumbledore's dead?
2.when dumbledore ask shape"have you grown to care for the boy, after all?"
snape made the patronum doe come out, then said "always"
what does it really mean about the doe...?
harry said snape's patronum was like his mother's,but I think maybe snape
mean harry...?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:55 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia
When he first started, he was so young that some students might have remembered him from school. In order to gain their respect, he had to be scary.
That's exactly what I thought, too. He started 1980/81, so he was only three years older than his oldest students. A whole lot of his students must have remembered how he was showing his underpants then.

Last edited by Fleur du mal; August 3rd, 2007 at 12:58 am.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:55 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyla
One thing we do NOT know is what exactly Mulciber did that was so 'evil'. IF it was truly 'evil' and 'dark' wouldn't he have been expelled? Considering this is 5th year Snape - more or less the same one whom Harry found 'funny' in 6th year, I think it quite possible that what Mulciber 'did' was use one of Snape's hexes. Hermione disapproved of those spells when Harry did them, so I'm guessing that Lily did too.
But we have it on the author's authority that Snape really was fascinated by Dark Magic and associated with future Death Eaters, so I don't see what we achieve by assuming that Lily was simply being prudish about a toenail growing hex!

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:57 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
Lily's ability to see the good in everyone is part of the reason Snape did love her: It seems no one else really saw the good in him and showed him that much kindness. As a result of that, his love transformed him. Yes, he was nasty, but that was his disposition. He loathed Harry because he was James's son...but his love for Lily allowed him to overcome that and protect Harry regardless...
He didn't overcome his loathing for Harry. According to JKR, he loathed Harry unjustifiably until the day he died. That is what I was referring to. I don't think Lily would have appreciated Snape's love for her being so single-minded as to exclude his finding love for her son. I think she would have wished that any love for her would have helped him overcome his hatred for James and learn to at least care for Harry in a real way, not just protect him against death so he could avenge Lily's death.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:58 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
According to JKR, he loathed Harry unjustifiably until the day he died
If you guys are going to use JKR as back up can you provide the quote?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 1:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Ummm. . . wow. . . v3 already! v2 is here for your reference: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v2

If you haven't answered the discussion questions, feel free to do so. Otherwise go ahead and continue where we left off.

1. Snape is revealed to have been acting throughout the series out of love for Lily, how does this effect your view of his actions in the series - his "murder" of Dumbledore, his treatment of Sirius.

2. Why do you think Snape chose to become a Death Eater?

3. How do the revelations of DH impact your view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville throughout the series?

4. What do you think of Snape's actions after learning who Volemort had targetted with the prophecy?

5. What do you think of Snape's actions after Lily's death. How do you think this death has affected his character?

6. What do you think are Snape's major strengths? What are his major flaws?

7. Do you believe Snape came to care about Harry?

8. Do you think Snape should have been sorted in Slytherin? Would he have made the same choices if he had been sorted elsewhere?

9. There are all kinds of bravery in this series, what characteristics of Snape's make him brave? In what sense is he a hero.

10. Did Snape fully redeem himself in your eyes? In Harry's?

AS THIS IS STILL A HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL AND SENSITIVE TOPIC WE WOULD LIKE TO ASK EVERYONE TO PLEASE BE SENSITIVE TO OTHERS OPINIONS. THIS MEANS NO GLOATING AS WELL AS NO BASHING. CONSEQUENCES WILL BE SEVERE.

Additionally please read How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic and Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray BEFORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD
2. I don't think his reasons for becoming a Death Eater are so very different from any other Death Eaters'. They see themselves as superiors; with notions like these, one is provoked into doing drastic deeds. When I say superior I mean in the way of magical competence and studious-ness. Why did Snape start revising potions recipes and inventing enchantments? Because he always feels different, left out even; the discovery of a brilliance sets him apart positively instead of the usual negative. As a teenager he was like an Einstein- didn't care about his appearance, hoped his intelligence would someday suffice for Lily.

3. My view of Snape's treatment of Harry and Neville? How about Hermione? How about Ron and every other dude in the world of lesser mortals than himself? Snape, as much as we like to think otherwise, isn't unique in most matters. There are plenty of slimey adults out there, slimey teachers as well. I don't know. I'm not going to go into his physicology for his actions, because everyone has all those excuses: I'm tired of people attributing their childhood and life experience to stuff they do. Maybe Snape didn't commit murder; he most definitely commited meanness! There's no good reason to be snide, arrogant, scathing, hypocritical, a dictator of humiliation. The bottom line is that if Snape were more mature, he wouldn't have become a Death Eater. If he were as wise as he is smart and cunning, he owuldn't have felt the need to degrade little kids. I'm sure he felt remorse. But many things he done are pointless.

5. I do feel sorry for him. I'm sorry that the death made him so bitter. I just still dislike the idea of him and Lily. It's too neat and tidy and it's a small world-ish. Any other girl but Harry's own mother.

7. No. So he said he came to care about Harry, but he knew Dumbledore would find it "touching". Maybe HE even thinks he cares about him, but I don't. I think he cares about Lily.

8. First of all, he wasn't going anywhere else. Dude both his names sound like snake-speak and start with s's; he was born Slytherin. But I think it again a poor excuse, to blame the choices you made on the house you were put in. Any house.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References