Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why not time travel to defeat Voldemort?

Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:49 pm
First Year

Why not time travel to defeat Voldemort?

Why didn't Dumbledore use a time turner or some other means of time travel he must have mastered (because its hard to go decades back with a time turner) to when Merope Gaunt was pregnant with him and do something about what was going to happen? Killing Merope with him inside to finish him too wouldn't be Dumbledorish, but he could have done something else, because as JKR says, Voldemort became so cold and heartless because he never received love, so DD could have saved Merope from dying, so that TMR would grow as a healthy child, and when he would return to present time, Tom Riddle Jr. would just be an old, innocent man.

Or he could have just killed him when he was born..

http://acmb.frih.net
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:26 am
First Year

Re: Why not time travel to defeat Voldemort?

That's true but what consequences could that have had in the future? LV had such an impact on the world, both good and bad, that his nonexistence would alter things in unpredictable ways.

Old August 4th, 2007, 12:33 am
Third Year

If you remember in the OotP... Hermione, Ron and Harry smashed all of the time-turners! If I remember rightly JKR answered this question and I think she did it on purpose so that was not an option!

Old August 4th, 2007, 2:34 am
Second Year

Well, there was the time before that,,

The thing is, I don't think it is very plausible to play around with the past; or for some weird reason, Dumbledore might not exist at all

Old August 4th, 2007, 3:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubairi View Post
Why didn't Dumbledore use a time turner or some other means of time travel he must have mastered (because its hard to go decades back with a time turner) to when Merope Gaunt was pregnant with him and do something about what was going to happen?
Or he could have just killed him when he was born..

First, if Dumbledore went back that far, how would he ever get back to the present? When Harry and Hermoine went back in time, they spent a lot of time sitting around and waiting. You cant go forward in time, only back.

Secondly, something tells me that going back in time and changing Voldemort's life would create a time paradox of epic proportions with serious repercussions

Last edited by Traveler1113; August 4th, 2007 at 3:15 am. Reason: spelling
Old August 4th, 2007, 3:20 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1113 View Post
First, if Dumbledore went back that far, how would he ever get back to the present? When Harry and Hermoine went back in time, they spent a lot of time sitting around and waiting. You cant go forward in time, only back.

Secondly, something tells me that going back in time and changing Voldemort's life would create a time paradox of epic proportions with serious repercussions
I don't think Dumbledore minds doing nothing for a few decades to save thousands (according to mugglecast, hundreds of thousands, and even millions) of lives

Old August 4th, 2007, 3:35 am
First Year

yes, but then present dumbledore (the one who went back) wouldnt be around to live his life and...well be dumbledore. Which could turn out to be even worse

Old August 4th, 2007, 5:35 am
Second Year

As it has been said before, messing with things in the past severely screws up events in the future. So, I think, this is why Dumbledore does not do something like this, regardless of how many lives he might possibly be able to save.

Old August 4th, 2007, 5:41 am
First Year

Travelling back in time to kill Voldemort would've been too risky; there are too many possibilities to what it would lead to, and just one tiny thing might've altered the course of history... in a really BAD way... and you never know, something you did while you were in the past might have made Tom Riddle become a good person, and then you would've killed someone who would not have grown up to be Lord Voldemort. Basically, it's too dangerous to play with time.

Old August 5th, 2007, 4:56 pm
First Year

Because time travel almost always creates more grave problems than it solves ... see this Letter from Sierra Waters...

Old August 5th, 2007, 9:54 pm
Banned

Using a time turner would be too easy.

Writing a story that is inundated with magic, J.K. Rowling had to be very careful with how she did it. It would be too easy if Harry or Dumbledore could use magic like that to defeat Voldemort. There wouldn't have been much of a story. She had to make the overall quest, like in OOTP and HBP, difficult. Otherwise, the Harry Potter series wouldn't be worthwhile.

Old August 5th, 2007, 10:58 pm
First Year

Ok, I know i have no proof, but i always said to myself that the reason they never thought of going that far back in time is that maybe there is a limit to how much you can go back in time. It's a really simple theory and it makes me stop thinking about confusing time travel

Old August 5th, 2007, 11:05 pm
Banned

There probably is. And anyway, the Ministry had the entire stock of Time Turners, and they were all destroyed at the end of OOTP.

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:30 am
First Year

Time-travel is extremely dangerous, that's why hermione had to be so careful using hers just for classes. If it's dangerous just to use it for mundane purposes, who knows what kind of consequences there would have been if DD had used one to actually commit a murder. There's the whole Grandfather Theory (or something like that) that says if you found a way to go back in time and accidentaly killed your grandfather, then you would cease to exist. Now that's a very specific example, but if you apply it more broadly and merope and Voldemort were killed, nobody knows what unforeseen consequences there could have been. People who died would have lived, people who lived might have died, and then the "current" timeline of HP would be totally different.

Old August 7th, 2007, 1:56 am
Banned

Meddling with time can have dire consequences...J.K. Rowling made a point of telling us that through Hermione. So we need to remember that.

Old August 7th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Second Year

Changing time is very dangerous, though it could be used as the last, last desperate means to stop Voldemort. If he fully took over the world, someone would need to go back in time to stop him as a last resort.

Old August 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_shalash View Post
Ok, I know i have no proof, but i always said to myself that the reason they never thought of going that far back in time is that maybe there is a limit to how much you can go back in time. It's a really simple theory and it makes me stop thinking about confusing time travel
thats exactly what i thought, i don't think time turners were made to go back in time for that long. It was probably good for everyday use or something like that.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 7th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Banned

Yep, like for students like Hermione who are just down right crazy....

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:19 pm
First Year

Philosophically speaking, I think it is impossible to change history. I think Jo provides a view of time travel that agrees with this view. Essentially, when history occurs the first time it does so with the time traveler not without. Remember that in Book 3 Harry and Hermione do not change time. Harry does not die at the mouth of the Dementors but is saved by...himself. If Jo thought history is changed then Harry should have died in the first occurrence of these events. As Harry says in the movie, he knew he could make the patronus because he had "already done it." So, Dumbledore cannot go back in time to kill Voldemort because he was not there to do it in the first place. This might be hard to grasp but instead of viewing time as linear think of it as a pretzel. It continuously loops over and around itself. Thus, history is never occurring "for the first time", but repeatedly and concurrently. And, if time is linear then time travel is physically impossible, even with magic. (I think Jo suggests that there are some physical truths that even magic cannot change, such as the alignment of the planets.) So, to make a long answer short...it is impossible (even in Jo's magical world) to change history.

I also venture to say that if one could change history, killing Voldemort would mean not simply that Harry would not have a scar but that Harry would not exist. Support for this can be found, I believe in book 7, but I will not say more on that here.

I also want to commend Traveler 1113's excellent incite into the physics of time-turners.

Old August 8th, 2007, 1:00 am
First Year

Prof_Severus makes a very good point.

In addition, I think DD would have realised that simply removing Voldy would have had only a limited value to the wizarding world. His existence and actions forced the introduction of laws and ministry procedures (as well as the discovery/invention of countless spells and lores) that I think we would have to agree would be unlikely to have otherwise come into effect otherwise. To put it simply, Voldemort's existence meant that it would be considerably harder for a "new" Voldemort to appear (after the DH timeline) and if he hadn't been there then I think it is inevitable that someone else would have taken his place.

Removing progression is pointless and I think that even if time travel were possible DD would not want to remove the triumph that was gained in the wizarding world through Voldemort's downfall.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives