Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why not time travel to defeat Voldemort?

Old August 31st, 2007, 8:58 am
Sixth Year

Re: Why not time travel to defeat Voldemort?

Yeah, but the enemy you know is better than the enemy you don't. What would happen if a more evil, more dangerous Dark Lord rose instead of Voldemort?

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 3:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubairi View Post
Why didn't Dumbledore use a time turner or some other means of time travel he must have mastered (because its hard to go decades back with a time turner) to when Merope Gaunt was pregnant with him and do something about what was going to happen? Killing Merope with him inside to finish him too wouldn't be Dumbledorish, but he could have done something else, because as JKR says, Voldemort became so cold and heartless because he never received love, so DD could have saved Merope from dying, so that TMR would grow as a healthy child, and when he would return to present time, Tom Riddle Jr. would just be an old, innocent man.

Or he could have just killed him when he was born..
Because Tom Riddle wouldn't've killed anyone, therefore he technically speaking wouldn't have done anything wrong; therefore killing him would be immoral. And if Dumbledore got caught, how the heck would he explain to the Ministry that he killed a woman and child because he knew that the child would grow up to be evil?

Also time turners go by hour, not day or year; therefore Dumbledore would have to go back in time to the exact hour, or an hour around that time almost seventy years prior. And do you have any idea of how long that would take, and how hard it would be to keep track of all those turns? It's mind-boggling.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old August 31st, 2007, 6:58 pm
Fifth Year

If Dumbledore went back in time to kill Voldemort, this would erase his original intention to go back in time in the first place, causing either Dumbledore to simply faint, or in the worst case, creating a paradox unraveling the very fabric of the space-time continuum.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives