Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Malfoy Family Analysis

Old August 9th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Malfoy Family Analysis

I'd like to discuss here the Malfoy family and their relationship to the Death Eaters and Voldemort. Thanks to Fleur du mal and chparadise for helping me come up with starting questions

Here are some starting thoughts:
1) What were Lucius's motivations for becoming a Death Eater? Did he really believe in all of their ideals, or was it just for convenience?

2) Did Narcissa fully support her husband? Did she believe in Voldemort?

3) Draco seems very proud of his family's Death Eater status in the beggining of HBP. Did this change in the rest of HBP and DH?

4) At the end of DH, the Malfoys seem to be swaying back and forth on what side they are on. What is their motivation for this?

5) Do you think Draco followed in his father's footsteps as an adult?

6) It seems as though the Malfoys caused most of their own problems - were they capable of getting out of them, and if so, why didn't they?

7) What would they have done if Voldemort had won the war?

Old August 9th, 2007, 7:36 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Malfoy Family Analysis

1) What were Lucius's motivations for becoming a Death Eater? Did he really believe in all of their ideals, or was it just for convenience?
He wanted the glory. In a way, he was worse than Wormtail. Once Voldemort became strong again, he would come crawling back to him. I'd have to say he did believe in their cause though.
I don't think so. We never found out if she did become a death eater. I'm sure she didn't believe Voldemort after forcing Draco to kill Dumbledore.
3) Draco seems very proud of his family's Death Eater status in the beggining of HBP. Did this change in the rest of HBP and DH?
He figured out how terrible he really was, that he didn't really trust in him and it was more like a punishment for the family.
4) At the end of DH, the Malfoys seem to be swaying back and forth on what side they are on. What is their motivation for this?
First of all, Draco seemed in constant danger in front of Voldemort, which made them want to go to the good side for help, but if they did, he would surely attempt to kill them and finish them off for good.
No, after seeing Voldemort like this, he would have to be stupid to follow them.
6) It seems as though the Malfoys caused most of their own problems - were they capable of getting out of them, and if so, why didn't they?
Sometimes they were capable to get out of them, they are rich and could most likely bribe themselves out of them. Besides, they always could find a way to seek help. Now, they can't because both sides are against them.
They would stay with him and try to find ways to make sure he liked them again.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I'd like to discuss here the Malfoy family and their relationship to the Death Eaters and Voldemort. Thanks to Fleur du mal and chparadise for helping me come up with starting questions

I will go through and answer each one individually.

1. I think Lucius was persuaded throughout his 7 years of being in Slytherin. I am willing to bet that living/being around people of that attitude as early as an 11 year old they can manipulate you attitude. So in the end I think he did believe in what they were proclaiming. After all his attitude stayed the same after Voldemort's first fall.

2. I believe JK answered this recently in an interview. I believe her response was somthing like "Narcissa did share the same ideals about blood status as her husband, but was never an actuall Death Eater. And obviously Voldemort did not mind that.

3. We see Draco's pride from his first introduction in SS/PS. I think we do see this lighten up quite a bit especially in book 7. However, I do not think he is at the point to abandon his beliefs, I just don't think he believes that mass murder is worth it. However, by the time of the epilouge all of his racism might be gone.

4. I think that after book 5 the adult Malfoy's (especially Narcissa) main concern was making it out alive. Lets face it, Lucius could have easily have been killed for his mess up at the Ministry. They expected Draco to die in the attempts on Dumbledores life and Narcissa not being an actual DE had no real purpose for them to keep around. So, while I do not believe that they were begining to think "half bloods and muggle borns are alright!" they were thinking "these half bloods and muggleborns are not going to kill us if we don't try to kill them."

5. No, I think that Draco is different than his father. How different I am not sure, but one thing is for sure, Draco's child did not grow up being told of the great glory serving the Dark Lord could and would bring.

6. I think they were the cause of their problems and I think they did manage to get themselves out -- by becoming neutral in the war and just trying to survive.

7. I think they would have all that they could to survive, and based on their past habbits that would be serving Voldemort in the manner they had throughout DH. However, I do not thinks would have went well for them. Obviously Voldemort would discover that Harry was still alive and that Narcissa had lied and he would have killed her. I think that Lucius would die soon after, either sticking up for his wife, or because he really had no use to Voldemort. I am not sure about Draco. We know he has trouble with the things he has to do. His character could go either way. He could become cold and hard to those emotions and become a mercyless killer, or his compassion could win out and he probably die after stopping the DE's from attacking someone.

Check out my podcast: www.myspace.com/threewisemenshow
or go to itunes and search for "three wise men"
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:45 pm
Third Year

A: He joined i think because the thought of power was there, dark power which he could use

A: I think she loved her husband no matter what he did and she has commented before that she hates muggleborns so she isn't totally innocent

A: definitly. He only panicked. he had no satisfaction of being with LV. He hated it, he had started to dislike it in HBP

A: Love vs Power

A: no he learnt from his fathers mistakes

A: no they didn't realise how deep they were in it.

A:stayed with voldermort but still been humiliated as they were before

We Love Severus Snape
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Third Year

I predict Lucius had gotten fascinated with the idea of the Dark Arts being in Slytherin. He probably saw the Dark Lord's rise to power an enthrallment. And wanted a bit of power for himself.

Yes. I am positive that Narcissa enjoyed the idea of all Muggle Borns being punished.

According to seeing him frightened and scared. I do think that torturing innocent people had taken a grip on him. This later lead on of being fed up towards his family's Death Eater status.

The motivation is only towards their care of each other. I doubt they cared about what side they were on unless this leads to protecting themselves.

I doubt it. The kindness Harry showed Draco and the regret appearing on Draco's face in the 7th book, I predict changed his way of being a Death Eater.

The Malfoy's I am sure were able to get out of sticky situations with their high status and just caring about being able to survive.

Pretend they were Voldemort's most faithful supporters after Bellatrix. And just follow on Voldemorts orders and try theor best to survive.

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:53 pm
First Year

Quote:

both. i think he liked the idea of being part of something that he thought could gain him more respect. because after he joined he got higher and higher in the ministry through fear and contacts. convienience played a big part in it i think.

i think narcissa also enjoyed the idea of her husband gaining more power as we are never really sure of her status before hand.

definately. he doesnt seem capable of doin the assigned task without it drainin him emotionally, and he also is yet untainted by bein able to kill, showin that his motives are not set through support but through fear and a hope of saving his family and gaining his fathers respect.

fear, and the prospect of their sons life ebin in danger. however they are also scared of wht may happen if they revolt against the dark lord as they will be aware what hapened to others such as regulus who turned his back on voldermort and was murdered.

i think although draco may have many of his father traits as an adult, he is more likely to show empathy and not teach his child to be as bullying and childish and to stand up for what he believes, not what other want him to believe.

because they were scared.

probably been kiled for their son had failed his mission

Old August 9th, 2007, 8:53 pm
Banned

I think Lucius believed in what he thought were the ideals of the Death Eaters, but what I don't think any of the Death Eaters understood was that Voldy just wanted power and he was just as willing to kill purebloods as muggles. As far as Lucius' motivations I would have to say that status. Often times you have to pick a side and hope you picked the one that will help you rise to the top. Look how fast he denyed once Voldy fell from grace the first time.

Narcissa, like the majority of her family, believed in being a pure blood and elevating that status and like her husband felt that was best accomplished through Voldy

[color="red"]Draco was proud only because of the fear the Death Eaters invoked. Like many of the Death Eaters, and their children, Draco realized that Voldy was in it for himself and didn't care who he took down to get there. It wasn't until he realized what Voldy was really like that it was too late to change sides[color="red"]

The Malfoys were not swaying back and forth, but firmly planted on their side where being pure blood is what matters. They may have no longer believed in Voldy, but they never believed in Harry's side either

I think he was still snotty and elitist, but otherwise no.

No they were not capable of getting out of them because by the time they wanted to get out they were in too deep

WHat they were doing through out all of the books and that is pretending to be loyal supporters.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Sixth Year

He was just in it for the cool, elite factor. He didn't quite understand what he was doing, even though he didn't mind doing it. He's the half(ish) way point between Bellatrix and Draco.

She did until Voldemort tried to get Draco killed.

Yes. He discovers the reality of the situation.

They feel betrayed and confused because they believed that, as long as they aligned themselves with the Death Eaters, that they would be safe.

No.

They're too weak to pull that off by themselves.

Good question. Hmm

Another question I think belongs on here is:
8) Do you think Andromeda and Narcissa reconciled? Explain.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:04 pm
Second Year

I think the Malfoy family are a good example of how hard it is to be truely inherently evil. Theyre not the nicest people going thats sure enough but not downright evil.

They want to be the biggest bullies in the playground but they dont have the lack of compassion and humanity required.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhgrt View Post
Do you think Andromeda and Narcissa reconciled? Explain.
That's a very good question. I think it would take a long time before it happened. Narcissa would probably not try to approach Andromeda because she is ashamed of herself for being on Voldemort's side (that's what I think anyway). Andromeda may approach Narcissa at some point when she sees Narcissa just being a regular member of society (I'm guessing she won't be going on any killing sprees or anything else bad). I do think they will reconcile in time, although they won't be close buddies.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Third Year

whos Andromeda

We Love Severus Snape
Old August 9th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Oh, I think growing up, he did believe that he as a pureblood was automatically destined for greatness. But he was no 'extremist' - when Severus Snape is sorted to Slytherin, Lucius welcomes him quite warmly, even though his family name indicates that he's at least a half-blood. I'd say Lucius was 'half-and-half' at that time; he didn't mind someone being a half-blood as long as they went to Slytherin and/or showed talent. He would have made a cut though when someone of 'lesser purity' would have tried to marry into Lucius' family or so.

Being one of Voldemort's men offered great opportunities. Really, I can see him before me - young, rich, bored, hungry for 'adventure', for combat to test out how good he really was, to compete with his buddies. It's said about the giants and werewolves that Voldemort could offer them what they could never have otherwise. I think it was the same for the boys of Lucius' generation, and being 17, 18, they could only see the thrills and the kicks.
Getting older, I think Lucius became a bit more hesitant though. In the very moment when Draco was born, at the latest, he might have realised that he should dearly like to see his son grow up, instead of being sent into war over and over again, with the Aurors having license to kill.

Quote:
I think she didn't care for anything outside of her family. Whatever Lucius would have done, be it Death Eater business, pidgeon hatching or playing the tuba, she would always have 'supported' him in the 'wonderful, darling' sort of way. I don't think though that she ever acted for Voldemort, neither do I think that Lucius would have let that happen.

Quote:
Like his mum, the kid was proud and would have been proud with everything his dad did or had ever done. I don't think he knew what he was in for. I'd imagine Lucius - before GoF, even before the Mark on his arm was being visible for the first time again - sitting before the fireplace with a glass of wine, doing a trip down memory lane, only telling his son about the excitement, never about the fears and dangers. He had got out of it, had no reason to believe they were returning, he got a bit sentimental. You often see that happening in the course of time.

Quote:
Voldemort welcomed Lucius on the graveyard, 'my slippery friend'. That's what they did - be evasive, non-commital, praying it'd all be over soon without them forced to make any kind of active standing or contribution. They wanted to survive, nothing else.

Quote:
Which footsteps? Be rich, exploit that fact, and want to be a well respected member of the community? Yes. Be as ruthless as Lucius? Certainly not. I think Draco has seen things, was forced to do things that were hard enough to come to terms with. I don't see him deliberately doing what he was not capable to do when forced.

Quote:
Fear of Voldemort, and little perspective of what they could do otherwise. Look how easily Voldemort took over the entire society within months. Where should they have turned to? What would have been their option when 'running away'? Karkaroff tried that, and where did it get him to. And Karkaroff was alone. I think Lucius and Narcissa were too scared for Draco's sake to try anything 'funny'.

Had Dumbledore stayed alive though, I think they might have considered his offer, at least in Draco's case. Simply to get him out of the line of fire.

Quote:
Heck, I got no clue... Lucius might have pretended some mental or otherwise illness to be left alone, Narcissa would have stressed her family relation to Bella, and Draco might have hoped that 'uncle Snapey' would hold his hand over him and assign him to something less 'stressful', like making potions for injured Death Eaters or so... Like I said, I got no idea.

Old August 9th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape_is_a_stud View Post
whos Andromeda
Andromeda is the sister of Narcissa and Bellatrix. She was disowned because she married a Muggle (Ted Tonks).

Last edited by Artemis_Fowl_2; August 9th, 2007 at 10:02 pm.
Old August 9th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Third Year

thanks i soo need to have a good reread

We Love Severus Snape
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Second Year

I don't think the Malfoys were ever truly evil, They were cunning Slytherins who recognized power when they saw it. They knew Voldmort was the greatest wizard of their time and that he would probably control the wizarding world so they became loyal followers to achieve power and respect. I think they would have gone with any wizard who attained power. Narcissa was never fully faithful to Voldemort, she loved her son more than she had loylaty for Voldmeort. I think that Draco always wanted to be a death eater, at Hogwarts he had never been an amazing student and never really had that much power without his Father's influence. I think that the prospect of becoming a powerful death eater seemed nice to him but when he actually became one, he realized that he didn't have the gall. He wasn't cruel enough to kill and he was constantly afraid of Voldemort and his wrath. He never truly had it in him. The reason the Malfoys switched sides at the end was because they realized that their son was more important than Voldemort and that he didn't even care for Draco's life. Also, as Harry's side began to win the battle, they noticed that they no longer had the power and decided to get out while they could. This is the only reason that they are not serving the rest of their lives out in Azkaban.

You - will - never - touch - our - children - again!
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:52 pm
Second Year

A: He did it because he craved power and they were people who shared similar beliefs.

A: She craved power and was just as much a bigot as Lucius. She would have been very enamored with the idea of Voldemort, but as we see the reality was more then she could handle.

A: Poor little Draco wanted so badly to be an evil little turd, but the best he could manage was pathetic. He was in over his head, but he never took the hand of those trying to help him.

A; Their allegiance never changed. They never offered any help to the good guys. Draco may have been too afraid to identify Potter, but it wasn’t out of some sense of goodness. At the end their motivation was pure selfish.

A: Absloutely. Why else would he name his spawn Scorpius or only offer a curt nod.

A: They lacked the bravery to take responsibility for their own actions or to accept help from those they considered inferior.

A: They would have expected reward and been disappointed when they did not get it because Voldemort saw them for what they truly were – pathetic toadies.

Old August 9th, 2007, 11:19 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:

Thanks for the acknowledgement...too bad I don't have time to answer all of them

I think Draco ended up on the straight and narrow as an adult. Harry would know to keep an eye on him. However, I don't think Draco has the "mean streak" that his father had.

I think that the Malfoys probably stayed on the "good" side, but they would still look down on muggle-borns (incidentally, Ted Tonks is a muggle-born, not a muggle, if I remember the OoTP and DH quotes correctly). They probably still are elitist, but they would not follow another Voldemort type of leader - they suffered too much in the end.

And, I think that Andromeda and Narcissa might somewhat reconcile...but some of it could depend on whether Cissy expressed sorrow over Bella killing Tonks. If Cissy didn't acknowledge this, then I could see a continuing rift.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
I think Draco ended up on the straight and narrow as an adult. Harry would know to keep an eye on him. However, I don't think Draco has the "mean streak" that his father had.
I think that unlike his father, Draco had some traumatic experiences at sixteen and seventeen years of age that left him very different.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:05 am
Fifth Year

Lucius seems highly ambitious and a lover of power. I think he felt that status within this secret, rebellious group just added to his power.

Narcissa did support her husband. I doubt she really cared about what Voldemort believed in. She likely considered herself superior to all other non-purebloods, but I don't think she would have actively done anything about it if left alone.

Draco only really seemed proud of his family's Death Eater status in front of his friends and people he was posing in front of. I think he had always been terrified of Voldemort. The only thing I see his own Death Eater status doing for him assurance in the form of the Dark Mark that he was really an adult and not just a kid anymore.

I think that, unlike Bellatrix, the Malfoys loved each other more than they loved anything else, such as power, money, Voldemort, status...

I think Draco as an adult was just as arrogant as his father was. I think the arrogance was a result of coming from money, something that didn't change despite the whole Death Eater fiasco.

I think Draco and Lucius caused their own problems through ambition, which just proves to me that they were always true Slytherins. I don't see their ambition as a character flaw, I just think they were unlucky. I think they pretty much got out of every problem they got into though.

Surely Voldemort would have killed them all. I feel Voldemort knew that none of them were loyal to him since he had threatened and attempted to destroy their family.

Old August 10th, 2007, 12:27 am
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Draco only really seemed proud of his family's Death Eater status in front of his friends and people he was posing in front of. I think he had always been terrified of Voldemort. The only thing I see his own Death Eater status doing for him assurance in the form of the Dark Mark that he was really an adult and not just a kid anymore.
That is a very good point, I think. PS, Forbidden Forest - Draco is absolutely terrified by the weird thing sucking unicorn blood. I always regarded that as a kind of foreshadowing.

And HBP, Diagon Alley - '...not a child anymore, Mother! I can do my shopping alone!'

Quote:
Surely Voldemort would have killed them all. I feel Voldemort knew that none of them were loyal to him since he had threatened and attempted to destroy their family.
Yes, he knew that - still he kept them all. I still don't get why though. Lucius I believe to be an admirable wizard in his powers, but in his state and without his wand, he was close to useless. Narcissa wasn't even a Death Eater, we never saw her do anything for Voldemort. And Draco - I got the idea that Voldemort was entertained in a sick way to submit Draco to his will, but how long can such a 'fun' last? They were of no use to him for most of the time.