Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Questions about Nagini

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:47 am
First Year

Questions about Nagini

Is Nagini a Basilsk?
I was always under the impression that she was, but after some re-reading now I'm not sure.

Gryffindor Girl

I Solemnly Swear That I am Up to No Good

Crookshanks secretly fancies Mrs. Norris... Meow!

Last edited by Nicole; May 27th, 2007 at 4:23 pm. Reason: removed 'note to mods'
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Nagini

to cos!

I think that if Nagini were a basilisk, we would have heard some accounts of people dying after looking at her. Frank Bryce, for instance, probably would have been killed directly by nagini before ever getting to speak to Voldemort.

a good thread to ask questions like this is little questions answered v11

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:56 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yeah, I don't recall hearing Nagini being a basilisk, I think she's just a very large serpent.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 18th, 2007, 1:04 am
First Year

No, she isn't a basilisk, because Pettigrew milks her without dying, and plus, shes not big enough.

"It was, he thought the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew--and so do I, thought Harry with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents--that there was all the difference in the world."

- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Old May 18th, 2007, 1:09 am
Second Year

I think she's just a regular, but large snake that Voldemort found, and grew attached to. It's been said that she's probably a King Cobra.

Old May 18th, 2007, 1:50 am
Fifth Year

I don't think that she is a basilisk. She appears to be a snake the size of a boa that has a venom.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old May 18th, 2007, 2:23 am
Sixth Year

The HP Lexicon categorizes Nagini as an ordinary but very large snake. Also, I can't imagine that Arthur Weasley would have survived his attack if Nagini were a basilisk.

Old May 18th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Second Year

Re: Questions about Nagini

even the death eaters... harry... esp wormtail and crouch jr could have been dead ages ago if she was...

Old May 18th, 2007, 10:04 pm
Fourth Year

Yeah, I heard a theory before that Nagini was a "baby" basilisk and that perhaps her eyecontact wasn't lethal yet, but I disagree as well. No mention whatsoever of her reminding Harry of a basilisk (which would probably be a clue) or anything.

Nagini is just a snake Voldemort has convinced to help him. And, perhaps he's laid a few charms on her. No telling what he's done.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:33 am
First Year

Knowing Voldemort Nagini is some kind of freak mutant python which has gone through rituals as it's abnormally large and it's venom is rather potent but I believe it would be a magical snake but not a basilisk.

Old May 19th, 2007, 12:57 am
Second Year

yeah I quite agree

Old May 19th, 2007, 5:37 pm
First Year

The term "Nagini" could have originated from the Indian word "Nag" or "Naga" for Snake. Even Nagini is an Indian name attributed to the female of the species.

Sometimes Nagini is associated with the Snake which takes both Human and Animal form. This is supposed to be a myth. The word used to denote these types of Snakes closely resembles "ICHADHARI".

Old May 23rd, 2007, 1:23 am
First Year

i don't think Nagini's a basalisk, however i did hear a rumour that she was the python that Harry set free in the zoo, in SS. that would be very cool.

WHEN SNAPES ATTACK

" Are YOU a fan of tasty delicious-ness?"
Old June 23rd, 2007, 4:57 am
First Year

What breed is Nagini?

I apologize if a similar thread has been started on this subject, but I searched and only found threads about whether Fawkes would kill Nagini or not and how to destroy her if she is a horcrux.

Her name suggests that she is some type of cobra (Nagin is the female form of Naga, which is cobra in Sanskrit). If she is a cobra, then judging by her size, she is probably a king cobra. But in the Goblet of Fire film, she was depicted as some sort of python.

Maybe Nagini is actually wizard-bred, or a wizard-bred form of a non-magical animal. Kind of like how Crookshanks is half cat half kneazle. I've heard theories about Nagini being a young basilisk, but I don't think that she is because she was never described as having the characteristics of a basilisk. I also vaguely feel as though this theory has been shot down somewhere, but I can't remember where...

Do you think that in book 7, we will find out more information about Nagini's background? We know that her venom melted stitches, and that she is possibly a horcrux. Maybe there is more to her than meets the eye.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 6:14 pm
Second Year

Well, assuming that Nagini is a horcrux...of course she will be more than just a snake.
Quote:
i don't think Nagini's a basalisk, however i did hear a rumour that she was the python that Harry set free in the zoo, in SS. that would be very cool.
Yes! that would be very cool.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 6:34 pm
First Year

I think she's a large and magical snake that Voldemort has tamed to do his bidding... hmm... I personally don't think horcrux but that's another thread, I think she may be important to the future and maybe her magical powers are very magical and she destroys the whole world! mwahahaha... okay, I've gone too far now. She's a very large snake.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 6:34 pm
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead_warrior View Post
That would be a cool twist, but I kind of got the feeling the snake in the zoo was friendly. But, I have always wondered where it went. I think it would be funny if Harry saw a news report about a Brazilian snake lose in Britain sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmisery
Maybe Nagini is actually wizard-bred, or a wizard-bred form of a non-magical animal. Kind of like how Crookshanks is half cat half kneazle. I've heard theories about Nagini being a young basilisk, but I don't think that she is because she was never described as having the characteristics of a basilisk. I also vaguely feel as though this theory has been shot down somewhere, but I can't remember where...
Is it possible she could be half-Basilisk? I can't see Voldemort keeping just a normal snake as a Horcrux since he was going for more impressive items.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 6:51 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Since it is my contention that Voldemort first learned of horcruxes from Egypt, and that I believe the trio will have to journey to Egypt to discover some of Voldemort's secrets, Nagini is a pet that Voldemort picked up after he and Wormtail visited Egypt to get the materials he needed to become Babymort. Nagini is an asp, a venomous, African version of a cobra.

Though exceptional for her species.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old July 9th, 2007, 1:24 pm
First Year

I think Nagini is more likely to be an Ashwinder. In the lexicon's bestiary asgwinders are described as,

HP Lexicon BestiaryA thin grey serpent with glowing red eyes

Considering that LV has glowing red eyes and that part of his soul is (probably) in Nagini, this makes more sense to me.

All H/G Shippers go to SIYE now for the best h/g fanfiction!

VOTE SAXON!

MASSIVE DH
Spoiler: show
Mwahahahahahahaaaa! Serves You Right For Looking!
Old July 9th, 2007, 2:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddzag View Post
I think Nagini is more likely to be an Ashwinder. In the lexicon's bestiary asgwinders are described as,
HP Lexicon BestiaryA thin grey serpent with glowing red eyes
Considering that LV has glowing red eyes and that part of his soul is (probably) in Nagini, this makes more sense to me.
But as far as Iremember ashwinders aren't venomous, aand Nagini is not thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
Since it is my contention that Voldemort first learned of horcruxes from Egypt, and that I believe the trio will have to journey to Egypt to discover some of Voldemort's secrets, Nagini is a pet that Voldemort picked up after he and Wormtail visited Egypt to get the materials he needed to become Babymort. Nagini is an asp, a venomous, African version of a cobra.

Though exceptional for her species.
Thats a great idea. We don't know when Voldemort aquired Nagini, I always thought he already had her while he was living as Vapomort, but I can't think of any canon for that.
I don't think Harry will go to Egypt though, Jo has said there won't be any more forein witches or wizards in the books, and ther is so much to do in DH that travelng to Cgypt won't fit in. They couls ask Bill and Fleur to get something done during their honeymoon though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives