Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Recordatio Via

Old August 20th, 2007, 8:45 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

Recordatio Via

Discussion of the editorial Recordatio Via by Dementom (Tom Morey).

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 9:09 pm
First Year

Re: Recordatio Via

Nice, short and sweet. It made me a little teary-eyed. There will probably never be another JK Rowling, and a book series will never be as popular. I'm going to miss Harry Potter so much. I guess it still hasn't really hit me that there won't be any more HP books. I'm just so glad that there are still things like Mugglenet and Mugglecast for HP fans.

Old August 20th, 2007, 9:23 pm
First Year

Amen! I believe you are right on. I feel fortunate to have lived through this phenomenon or as Time Mag. said, "It started as a series and ended as a movement." Good thing books last forever.

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Dumbledore
Old August 20th, 2007, 9:35 pm
First Year

Will other readers join me in sending copies of the last section - "A Project for the Reader" - to the New Yorker and the New York Times Review of Books? It would be only fitting if they received several thousand copies. We owe at least that much to Ms. Rowling.

If you do, don't forget to credit Tom Morey, the author.

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:19 am
First Year

Nicely written. I think many of us sat back after reading DH and tallied the hits and misses we made about the outcomes of this last book. Congrats on your results; I wish mine had been as successful.

My favourite section of your editorial was the "Project for the Reader." You itemized the absolutely incredible achievements Jo has accomplished. Bravo.

And house_elf_dobby? That was a brilliant idea to inundate the New York Times...they quite deserve it.

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:31 am
Winning Teamster

That last bit is SO RIGHT. I'm glad someone can put this phenomenon into words so poetically (because I can't; there's too much!).

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

Old August 21st, 2007, 1:00 am
Second Year

Thank you for this editorial. It hit me after the second reading of DH that I won't have the experience of reading a new HP novel ever again. It did make me very sad. My daughter is just now reading HBP. She is only eight and just started reading the books this summer. I heard her telling my son, " you have to read the books, they are so much better than the movies". I loved hearing that!! I realized that it is just as exciting to see the books through her eyes as it was to read them for the first time myself. This is the gift that JKR has given us. As long as there are children, or adults , reading the books the magic can continue!

Old August 21st, 2007, 2:48 am
First Year

Tom,

Congratulations on a great essay. Although your Latin is a little weak, your insight and analysis are right on target and very touching. It's a perfect blend of earth, wind, fire, and water. Thank you so much for saying it so well.

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Exceeds Expectations
Old August 21st, 2007, 3:00 am
Second Year

How you finished that editorial is propably one of the most amazing things I've ever read on Mugglenet. It serves as absolute proof of why we love these books, why they are not just kid's books and why they will never be forgotten. I hope J.K reads this editorial. It was brilliant. But let's not forget there's still a HP encyclopedia to look forward to, however long it takes.

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Visit this website
godisimaginary.com/index.htm
Old August 21st, 2007, 3:34 am
First Year

Preach it!! Great insight into the amazing feat of JK Rowling... the one and only. I raise my glass, my book, and a portion (fairly large that is) of my life to her!

Harry Potter- Dare to dream
Allie
Old August 21st, 2007, 4:32 am
First Year

I absolutely loved how you ended the editorial, with A Project for the Reader. In browsing the online community since the release of DH, I've come across quite a few people who were really critical and tearing the book apart. Despite the few holes in the series, it's still really an absolutely amazing thing that Rowling has accomplished, and you really showed that perfectly. It really is a once-in-forever thing, and I'm so glad to have been able to live through the whole experience.

Old August 21st, 2007, 7:40 am
Fifth Year

*sigh*

Okay.. I thought I was done crying over the finality of it all - but your editorial just struck something again. I think you've hit the nail by saying that not only was this a once-in-a-lifetime, this was truly, a once-in-forever moment for literature. There might never again be the same level of anxiety and speculation for another series ever again. And credit goes completely to Jo for that.

And thanks to you for a truly wonderful read, and making us feel the magic all over again!

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old August 21st, 2007, 8:27 am
First Year

couldn't have said it better - thank you for putting into this editorial what I suspect just about every HP fan has been feeling since the release of deathly hallows

Old August 21st, 2007, 9:48 am
First Year

Beautiful...sigh...This series was not only a once-in-a-lifetime feat, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. As a reader, getting through this series was such a unique experience - there's nothing like it out there. It brings joy to my heart to know that through these books this feeling and experience will continue for generations. There is definately an automatic, unexplainable bond between all HP readers, even if its just for the moment of discussing one's love for the series, a favorite moment, and beyond (there's so much).

Old August 21st, 2007, 3:43 pm
First Year

Dementom:

Your editorial about the Trio representing Plato's tripartite soul is one of my all-time HP editorial favorites. I have referred many people to it, as supreme evidence that HP is not for children only. Many thanks for that.

Your current (and presumably, final) piece, is lovingly sentimental. More times than I can say, I have thanked the heavens that my children and I are alive and healthy and of the age of being able to read, discuss, appreciate and enjoy the series over all its years. I pity (yes, pity) those who missed it; either by being too old or stuck-up to realize a "children's" story has tremendous depeth and meaning, or those who come after us.

While it was excruciating at times, the year or two wait between books enabled us to re-read and mull over the story; to fathom its depths and test our theories. Without needing to wait between books, future readers will most likely miss the enthralling, captivating speculation which enhanced reading each new book. We who are reading this are all very lucky, indeed, to have been a part of it.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:51 am
First Year

You made me cry and I never cry

Old August 22nd, 2007, 5:42 am
First Year

This really summed up everything I've been feeling since the book came out. My mother started reading the first book to me right after it came out in the US when I was 7 years old. I am now 16 and completely obsessed with Harry's world. These books have gotten me through some of the key years of childhood, and on into my teenage years. Its strange to think that the first book was read to me by my mother, and I drove myself to the bookstore to get the last one. I really can't imagine my life without these books. And I feel so honored to be in the right generation to enjoy these books as they come out, waiting and discussing for years at a time. And now to have all of the books read... I can't say it better than you said it yourself, Tom. It truly is a once-in-forever experience.

Rupert Grint...
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
CHUDLEY CANNONS: Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Proud Gryffindor
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Outstanding
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:38 am
First Year

Dauntin challenge.....but you're right, reading the HP septology and knowing the story behind its inception and creation is a once in infinity sort of thing, I just want to applaud JKR and thank her for having a significant influence on a twntysomething's life.....it was magic.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:53 pm
First Year

Perfect!

Old August 24th, 2007, 5:11 am
First Year

Great editorial
I think we all had our own theories and are counting our own hits and misses.
I agree the feats that Jo Rowling has achived with the Harry Potter series are numerous and sadly once in a life time. There will probably never be another series of this greatness and magnatude ever again. Thank You Jo for your wonderful imagination and storytelling . Thank you most of all for shareing for shareing it with all of us .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial