Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis

Old February 10th, 2010, 11:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini001
So I get this, Voldemort brought the snakes into Albania then? I did know that he possesed them but where he got them is the question?
No, I do not think Voldemort brought any snakes to Albania. When he went to Albania (after Godric's Hollow), he was a ruin - "pure spirit," as he calls it. Therefore, how could he have brought snakes with him? No, the snakes he possessed appear to be the ordinary (non-magical) ones that we would see in Albania:
GoF, Ch. 33, The Death Eaters, Page 654, American, HB"I sometimes inhabited animals - snakes, of course, being my preference - but I was little better off inside them than as pure spirit, for their bodies were ill adapted to perform magic . . . and my possession of them shortened their lives; none of them lasted long. . . .

GoF, Ch. 33, The Death Eaters, Page 655, American, HB"His filthy little friends [rats] told him [Pettirew] there was a place, deep in an Albanian forest, that they avoided, where small animals like themselves had met their deaths by a dark shadow that possessed them. . . .

Instead, I believe he came by Nagini simply by chance (i.e. he just stumbled upon a [semi-] magical snake while he waited) or else Nagini sought him. As seen in the second passage I provided, there was a rumor among animals of "a dark shadow that possessed them." This is where, I think, we may be delving into the actual character of Nagini.

I believe, if this is how Voldemort and Nagini truly met, that Nagini was enthralled by the power of the "dark shadow that possessed" small creatures. She probably "laughed" at the weakness of the animals that died from their possession by this shadow, and she set out to find this force, either to face danger or to benefit from its power (or both). This is why I think Voldemort would not have possessed her (at least to the point of killing her): he saw that Nagini shared some traits with him - the desire for power, the love for danger, the disdain of "lower" beings, etc.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:03 am
Splendide Mendax

Actually, Malpolon insignitus grows up to 2.5 m, is poisonous and aggressive... and green.

This might explain the magical properties, as well as spark some really interesting theories about 'the first date'.

Old February 11th, 2010, 12:04 am
Second Year

I completely agree with everything you just said. I like the idea of Nagini finding Voldemort. There must have been something in Nagini that Voldemort found in her.

I confess myself... disappointed.
Not one of you tried to find me..." -Lord Voldemort
Old February 11th, 2010, 5:59 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
Actually, Malpolon insignitus grows up to 2.5 m, is poisonous and aggressive... and green.

This might explain the magical properties, as well as spark some really interesting theories about 'the first date'.
Yeah but that snake for sure doesn't eat humans.

I had a theory before, what if Nagini was voldemort's creation. What if he somehow created her himself, transfigured a normal snake into something more magical and added preferred traits.

Old February 11th, 2010, 6:57 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Her being some sort of a magical variation of a snake is an interesting idea, especially given that her name is derived from "Naga", which are mythical giant snake in the lore of some parts of India.

Old February 11th, 2010, 7:21 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Her being some sort of a magical variation of a snake is an interesting idea, especially given that her name is derived from "Naga", which are mythical giant snake in the lore of some parts of India.
What if Nagini is actually a naga?

from what I see do the mythical nagas share some features with HP Nagini.

- being able to transform into human (Nagini transformed into Bathilda)
- carry the elixir of life (her venom helped Voldemort live)
- they guard treasures (Horcrux?)
(- they like frogs ... did anybody see Trevor? )

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:49 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
What if Nagini is actually a naga?

from what I see do the mythical nagas share some features with HP Nagini.

- being able to transform into human (Nagini transformed into Bathilda)
- carry the elixir of life (her venom helped Voldemort live)
- they guard treasures (Horcrux?)
(- they like frogs ... did anybody see Trevor? )
I'm actually more inclined to believe this than that she is any other kind of snake; I remember trying to figure out what she was at some point, either shortly before or shortly after DH came out, and she was certainly nothing I could find native to Europe or Asia; her sheer size and the characteristics given to her just didn't match anything I was able to find.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:54 am
Splendide Mendax

Quote:
I had a theory before, what if Nagini was voldemort's creation. What if he somehow created her himself, transfigured a normal snake into something more magical and added preferred traits.
Hmm... Somehow I don't think he was in a shape to transfigure anything around the time of their supposed meeting.

She could have been 'transfigured' by the very association with him, though, if we go with the theory that she had some magical properties to begin with.

And what would a naga be doing in Albania, of all places?!

Old February 11th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:

I have thought about that myself, probably my biggest question?

Old February 11th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Maybe Voldemort made a trip to Tibet while exiled from his body. That's where he learnt to fly, too!!

Old February 11th, 2010, 9:11 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Maybe she's a computer expert and she got a green card for Europe and she hissed good bye to her family and slithered to Europe to stumble upon Voldemort in Albania? Unfortunate soul, her destiny was to become CEO of Intel and now she's dead.

Oh well, was just an idea, as Jo pulled her name from the Indian myth.

Old February 11th, 2010, 9:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Maybe she's a computer expert and she got a green card for Europe and she hissed good bye to her family and slithered to Europe to stumble upon Voldemort in Albania? Unfortunate soul, her destiny was to become CEO of Intel and now she's dead.

Oh well, was just an idea, as Jo pulled her name from the Indian myth.
Thats going a little bit to the extreme.

Old February 28th, 2010, 9:57 am
She Who Walks Behind

Something I wonder about is why Voldemort kept her in this cage at the end of the book. Did he fear she'd escape?

The End of the Dream.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:15 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Something I wonder about is why Voldemort kept her in this cage at the end of the book. Did he fear she'd escape?

Voldemort placed Nagini in the cage to protect her, because by then he was aware that Harry had been destroying his Horcruxes. Dumbledore predicted that there would come a time when Voldemort would keep her safe.

DH, The Prince's Tale

'There wil come a time when Lord Voldemort will seem to fear for the life of his snake.'
'For Nagini?' Snape looked astonished.
'Precisely. If there comes a time when Lord Voldemort stops sending that snake forth to do his bidding, but keeps it safe beside him under magical protection, then I think it will be safe to tell Harry.'

"he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time they were children." ~ Harry Potter

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:20 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Voldemort placed Nagini in the cage to protect her, because by then he was aware that Harry had been destroying his Horcruxes. Dumbledore predicted that there would come a time when Voldemort would keep her safe.

DH, The Prince's Tale

'There wil come a time when Lord Voldemort will seem to fear for the life of his snake.'
'For Nagini?' Snape looked astonished.
'Precisely. If there comes a time when Lord Voldemort stops sending that snake forth to do his bidding, but keeps it safe beside him under magical protection, then I think it will be safe to tell Harry.'
Ah I see, makes sense. But why was she sent on the Mathilda Mission by him, when he feared for her dear life? Wasn't he aware of the Horcrux destruction by then?

The End of the Dream.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:37 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Ah I see, makes sense. But why was she sent on the Mathilda Mission by him, when he feared for her dear life? Wasn't he aware of the Horcrux destruction by then?
Voldemort didn't become aware of the destruction of his Horcruxes until after the trio had raided Gringotts and taken Helga Hufflepuff's cup.

DH, The Final Hiding Place

'Tell me!What did they take?'
...a s...small golden c - cup m - my - Lord...'
The scream of rage, of denial, left him as if it were a stranger's: he was crazed frenzied. It could not be true, it was impossible, nobody had ever known: how was it possible that the boy could have discovered his secret?

I imagine it was after discovering that Harry had taken the cup, that Voldemort put Nagini in her protective cage.

"he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time they were children." ~ Harry Potter

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; February 28th, 2010 at 10:46 am.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:44 am
She Who Walks Behind

Ok, everything makes sense then. thanks for the quotes.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:22 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?

I think Voldemort's soul piece would have affected Nagini. Harry wasn't a 'properly created' Horcrux and Voldemort's soul slither still influenced and affected his emotions and state of mind. A Horcrux located seperately if "you get too fond of or dependant on the Horcrux,' can exert influence over someone, so I think Nagini who was an intentional Horcrux, and had a fondess and a form of companionship with Voldemort, would mean he had a significant sway over her. Being so intermittently connected constantly to someone else's soul would, I think, allow greater exposure of their intelligence, personality, emotions and nature.

Due to her extremely large size and well as having magical properties in her venom that forces wounds not to heal, I also wondered like other posters whether Nagini was a magical snake before initially meeting Voldemort. Or whether he magically altered her with enchantments and various spells.

Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?

I think he treated her well, feed her, showed her affection as much as Voldemort was capable, so in a similar way to a pet, Nagini extended her loyality.

We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?

It might be enhanced. However, the python that Harry communicates with at the zoo, seemed perfectly self-aware, had no problems understanding and responding to Harry and able to indicate/articulate its feelings as to its situation.

Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?

I don't think she can really be blamed, in sense of self-responsibility, for what Voldemort trained her to do, plus the influence Voldemort's soul may have had on her own. She developed a taste for human flesh, but again this was due to Voldemort's feeding methods. A human condemning other humans to a horrendus death. I don't think the animal can be blamed for developing a taste for the diet it's provided.

All the above is my own opinion.

Credit for avatar: rlf_icons
Credit for signature: Terry Pratchett and Paul Kidby.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:43 am
First Year

Nagini is definitely a character that fascinates me, mostly because that she is perhaps the one thing that Voldemort truly cares for, and 'loves' (if that is the right word) her enough that he trusted her with his soul.
She might even return his feelings and think of herself as being far more than his pet, and maybe even superiority over the rest of his followers. Unless of course "pet" is in the sense of "favorite".

I'd like to see an interaction for when Voldemort got to Godric's Hollow when she called him, only for Harry to escape. Gonna have to write that...

And, even though she is containing Voldemort's soul, I kinda wonder if she'd be willing to die for him. Improbable, most likely, but it sure would make an interesting twist.

Old July 29th, 2011, 1:20 am
Seventh Year

1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?

The soul bit made it easier for Voldy to control her to do his bidding, and for him to see things through her eyes, and vice versa.

2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?

Voldy fed her and kept her safe and warm. He seemed to care more for her than any other living creature (including Bella). I think she cared to the greatest of her snakely ability. It had to be exciting when she found out a human could talk to her. Imagine if a snake could talk to me!

3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?

The snake in PoS also seemed to have conscious thoughts - it was lonely and wanted to go home. Nagini had the added ability to know Voldy's thoughts and to share them.

4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?

Voldy's soul piece inside her was evil, but Nagini was neither good nor bad - simply a snake.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies