Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Snape's Point of View: Deathly Hallows PTSS

Old September 11th, 2007, 5:32 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Snape's Point of View: Deathly Hallows PTSS

Witchsmart--Thanks! I'm glad you found us here. And Voldemorts 8th, I'm not sure if your praise was meant for mine, or a bit for all of us, but I'll thank you also, just in case.

Here's actually the first POV I wrote after reading DH. The visit from the Board of Governors grew out of a comment to Filch in this.

The Headmaster’s Solution

“This isn’t working, Dumbledore! I can’t be everywhere at once, and I can’t overrule the Carrows too often, or word will get around to my rivals that I’m going soft!”

“You’ll think of something, Severus.”

Snape turned from the portrait of Dumbledore and began pacing the circular office. “It’s all the worse with the students in rebellion. They make it impossible for me to protect them. Why did I get stuck with the Carrows, anyway? Why couldn’t it at least have been Lucius or Avery? At least they would have some sense about it.”

“Tom is keeping his Most Faithful isolated from his natural allies.”

“I mean, really! How do they expect students to write their essays after being strung up by their thumbs?”

Several of the older headmasters gasped at the news of this particular torture. “Why Severus, I do believe you’ve developed the soul of a teacher,” Dumbledore added.

Snape just snorted.

A medieval dressed wizard high up on the wall was unimpressed. “Thumb-stringing…that’s nothing. Now, in my day, we would--“

“We don’t want to hear anymore about your day, Gerbod!” the little dark haired Everard called out. The other headmasters echoed his sentiments.

Headmaster Gerbod huffed indignantly and then went back to sleep.

“Dumbledore’s Army is on the march again,” Snape informed the newest portrait. They keep leaving their Graffiti about in Weasley’s Wall Art Permanent Paint. Filch has a terrible time getting it off.”

The portrait of Dumbledore chuckled. “Well, at least the teachers are going against orders and not referring disciplinary problems to the Carrows.”

“No. But Amycus and Alecto find plenty of victims on their own. They keep Madam Pomfrey busy day and night. I’ve had to hire extra staff. I keep telling them they’re straining my budget, but they just don’t seem to get it!”

Snape continued to pace.

“You know…” Dumbledore’s picture spoke again. “Sometimes when I was trying to find a solution to a problem, I would go down to the kitchens and talk it over with Dobby.”

Snape stopped and looked sidelong, raising an eyebrow. “Dobby…? Dobby the House-Elf? Is there by chance a glitch in your Portraiture Spell matrix, Dumbledore?”

The figure in the painting chuckled once more. “And take a couple of butterbeers with you.”

The big clock struck the curfew hour. Snape returned to his desk and gathered up the parchments he had been working on before getting sidetracked by the conversation, and slid them into a drawer. It was becoming his habit to patrol the halls after hours, hoping to catch rule-breakers before the Carrows could.

“Do you mind my asking what you’ve been working on?”

Snape went to a cabinet the house elves kept stocked with various drinking supplies, of both soft and harder varieties, according to the occupant’s desires. He pulled out two butterbeers and slipped them into the pockets of his robes. Dumbledore’s requests could sound rather odd at times, but over the years, Snape had learned to trust that they always had a purpose.

“I’m trying to get my potion formulas down on parchment. Most of them I haven’t anywhere except in my head. With the influence I have at the Ministry at the moment, I might as well get a potions textbook published to replace that absurdly out of date thing Slughorn is using.”

“There’s always a silver lining. If you can get us some decent textbooks in here, then perhaps it will all have been worth it.”

Snape threw a grimace back to the portrait, as he was already gliding out the door.

Snape walked the dark corridors of Hogwarts as he had hundreds, maybe thousands, of times before. Sadly, his long-time home now felt like a prison to him, as confining and isolating as Azkaban could ever be. He felt it most from the teachers, his former colleagues. While none could be said to have been an actual friend, he respected them, and used to enjoy the inter-House rivalry with McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout. When forced to interact with him now, their cold, hard glares branded him the murderer of Albus Dumbledore, and the henchman of Lord Voldemort.

Horace Slughorn was the only one who still spoke genially to him--as if that were a blessing. His former Head of House continually expressed pride at his former student’s achievement, becoming a Slytherin Headmaster of Hogwarts, while avoiding mention of his method of getting there.

Quick footsteps running up behind caused him to swing round, his wand at the ready. Mrs. Norris skittered out of the shadows first with Filch not far behind.

“Headmaster! What are you doing out and about tonight? A man in your position needn’t patrol the corridors anymore. Leave that to me an’ the Carrows.”

“Right… Just feeling a bit peckish. Thought I might go down to the kitchen.”

Filch frowned up at him curiously. He had never known Snape to make nighttime raids on the kitchen. “A good idea, Professor. Yes… Well, Dumbledore’s Army’s at it again, sir. It’s that Longbottom, with the Weasley and Lovegood girls. I know it is.”

“You won’t likely catch them, but in the event that you do, take them up to my office,” Snape directed.

“Not to the Carrows, sir?”

Snape bristled. “Did I tell you to take them to the Carrows, Filch?!” he spoke low and dangerously.

“No sir. Your office, sir…”

Snape turned.

“Ah…Professor--?”

“Yes, Filch. What is it?!” he snapped impatiently.

“Well, sir, I was just wonderin’…If…er…well…I mean…”

As Filch sputtered, his mind was so easily legilimized, Snape could practically have done it with one eye closed. “I told the Board of Governors you were as indispensable to the running of Hogwarts as the house-elves. That seems to have satisfied them. For now.” Actually, Snape had told the Death Eater dominated Board of Governors that he looked upon the Squib Caretaker “like a house elf”, but what was one more lie.

“Thank you, sir. You’re very kind, sir. You see, it inn’t me so much I’m worried about, but if anythin’ should happen to me…”

Snape sighed, glancing down at the lamplike eyes. He replied much more softly. “Yes, Argus, if…it becomes necessary, I will find someone to take care of your cat.”

“Thank you, Professor! Oh, thank you, sir! You don’t know what this means to me, sir…” The old man pulled out a handkerchief and began wiping his eyes and blowing his nose.

Snape turned and fled before Filch’s onslaught of gratitude could continue any longer. At this rate, he’d never get to the kitchen. Going down the stairs, he instinctively skipped the disappearing step. The moment reminded him of those many times when he’d had to free Longbottom from it. He marveled at how the inept, nervous boy had grown into such a confident young man. His activities were reckless, and they made his job far more difficult, but there was a part of him that had to admire the open, fearless defiance.

Ginevra Weasley was another matter. He wondered why it was Draco hadn’t given her up to the Dark Lord. Surely he had seen her pairing off with Potter the end of last year? It would be a simple matter to take the girl hostage and wait for the boy with the “saving thing” to come rescue her. Of course, prior to Draco learning Occlumency, Snape had been surprised at the inordinate number of memories of the redhead in Draco’s own mind. Something about those redheads...

Lastly, Snape didn’t know what to make of Luna Lovegood. Punishments didn’t seem to leave too much impression upon the girl. He suspected she might have aptitude for Altered States Magic.

He reached the basement and the corridor full of colorful paintings of food. Raising his wand and looking up and down the corridor, he stopped before the painting of fruit in a silver bowl. He tickled the green pear, which squirmed away from his thin finger and turned into a green handle. Pulling on it, the large painting swung outward and he stepped into the Hogwarts expansive kitchen complex.

Inside, a good many of the hundred-some house elves were making preparations to begin their cleaning routines for the night. Several elves turned at his entrance. They wore little tea cozies with the Hogwarts emblem, tied up like togas. Trotting over to him, they bowed and curtsied, two of them sticking out their tongues as they did so.

“How can we be of service, Headmaster?” the leader asked, although without much enthusiasm.

Several more appeared then, offering a tray full of broken biscuits and cold tea. Snape shot them a sour look and shooed them away.

“Where’s Dobby?” he asked of the first.

The little elf with long thin nose and ears and large round green eyes came running across the kitchen, pushing other elves out of the way. “Headmaster Snape! Come to see Dobby? This is such a great honor! The headmaster of Hogwarts coming to see Dobby!”

A tall, chubby house elf made the sound of a raspberry and Dobby rounded on him. “Hogwarts house elves may express their opinions of their masters, but you will not disrespect the headmaster in front of Dobby!”

“We liked Dumbledore!” cried the other elf and made another raspberry towards Snape.

Dobby then leapt upon the offender, punching and kicking the other. “You will not disrespect the headmaster of Hogwarts!” he cried.

Snape’s dark eyes frowned down upon the wrestling elves. Peeves suddenly appeared out of nowhere, “Elf fight! Bitey, bitey, kicky, scratchy!” One look at Snape’s dark scowl, however, and Peeves was gone again.

The wizard’s dark form over-shadowed the two combatants, and his long slender hand grabbed Dobby by the back of his shrunken sweater, lifting him easily out of the scuffle. The little elf continued to swing furiously at the air.

“Which way to your quarters?” Snape inquired. At that, Dobby ceased swinging and kicking and pointed the way. Snape carried him like a lantern to a narrow corridor off the huge kitchen to numerous elfen living cubicles. Dobby indicated the location of his own. Snape had to bend low to go inside the small cell, furnitured with nothing but a small bed of old and torn discarded cushions. An odd collection of hats and socks lay in a neat little pile alongside. There was nowhere to sit, so Snape conjured himself a chair. He applied Mufilato to the door and then turned his dark eyes upon the creature before him.

“So,” Snape drawled as Dobby sat on a cushion of his bed, “you do not loathe me as do the others.”

“No-- Dobby is a free elf. Dobby works at Hogwarts because Dobby likes to.”

“Dobby works at Hogwarts because we are the only ones idiotic enough to pay you-- Didn’t you like Dumbledore--?”

“Of course Dobby liked Headmaster Dumbledore. Dumbledore was a great and good wizard. Dobby was proud to keep Dumbledore’s secrets. Dobby is proud to keep Headmaster Snape’s secrets as well.”

Snape’s eyes narrowed. “Why?”

“Dumbledore told Dobby no matter what happened, Dobby must trust Severus Snape.”

The dark wizard’s brow raised and he looked off, knowing this is what Dumbledore had sent him here to learn. Nevertheless, the ludicrousness of his situation, sitting in this cramped cell, was overwhelming.

Snape sighed. “Look at me. How did I come to this? Reduced to confiding in house elves and talking pictures.”

“Oh, but Professor, you are a great wizard!” Dobby reassured him. “The Headmaster of Hogwarts!”

“The Headmaster of Hogwarts...” There was a time when that position would have been a thing of pride to him, the culmination of his highest ambitions. But not anymore. He looked down into the sincere green eyes of the elf before him. Too large and round, as Mrs. Norris’s were too small. He suddenly realized how much he missed looking at that certain face, the hated face that held captive her eyes. He would give anything just to be a child again.

Shaking off the stupidity of his digression, he began considering the various abilities of the magical house-elf. Reaching into his robes, Snape drew out the bottles of butterbeer and tossed one to the elf. “I do have a secret, but you must promise never to tell anyone, particularly my successor, should something untimely befall me.”

Dobby clung to the bottle as though it were a holy talisman. “Dobby will throw himself into a cage of poisonous snakes if Dobby does not keep Headmaster Snape’s secret!”

“Very well,” Snape murmured, twisting off the bottlecap and taking a swig of the cold liquid. The aftertaste was sweet. “I want to protect the students from the Carrows and their rather…extreme forms of discipline, but I don’t want the Carrows…or the students…or the other teachers to know I am protecting them. Do you think you would be able to watch them, unseen, and inform me when one or both have encountered a rule-breaker?”

“Yes. Dobby would be proud to help Headmaster Snape protect the students of Hogwarts from the bad, dark wizards!”

Snape was already foreseeing the problems. “Of course, there are two of them. Ideally, we should have two tails, one on each, and others to locate rule-breakers and inform me of their whereabouts. I don’t suppose Winky would be up to the job?” he inquired without hope.

“Winky is in rehab at the moment, but Headmaster Snape has more than a hundred house-elves at his service!”

“House elves who I cannot trust, Dobby.”

“Severus Snape knows little of house elves, Dobby thinks.”

Snape bristled to be reminded of his poor upbringing, where a house elf was not a luxury. “How dare you!” he cried, rising from his chair and smacking his head on the low ceiling.

Dobby cowered. “Dobby thinks only that Headmaster Snape must have forgotten, the Hogwarts house elves will obey Headmaster Snape and keep his secrets, even if they don’t like their master, even if they don’t know what Dobby knows.”

Snape sat slowly back down in the chair, rubbing the top of his head. Perhaps…with the right orders given…besides which, Death Eaters would likely never think to question the activities of the Hogwarts house elves, who were considered beneath their notice. His black eyes were already beginning to glitter, considering the small army he suddenly realized he had at his command. He took another drink of butterbeer, growing excited by the possibilities.

“Very well. We’ll organize corridor watches, coordinated in between food preparation. Food preparation…” Snape sat forward at the edge of his seat, his long finger tapping his thin lips as he spoke. Ideas tumbling forth now as though under a Replication spell. “We can put Strengthening Solution, Pain Reduction Potions and so forth in the meals. Perhaps target certain students in particular…like…Dumbledore’s Army…”

“Headmaster Snape has many good ideas, like Headmaster Dumbledore!”

Snape glanced down, but ignored the comparison. “I will draw up a list of useful potions, and get you some vats. Madam Pomfrey may make notice of some of the effects, but I can distract her should that arise. You, Dobby will be in charge.”

Dobby’s eyes went wider still. He ran over and clung to the wizard's pant leg, thanking him in between great sobs, wiping his watery eyes and dripping nose on the hanging robes.

Repulsed by the Filch-like elf, Snape arose and did away with the chair, opened the door and walked back out to the kitchen, with Dobby still riding on his leg.

Reaching the cavernous kitchen area, Snape finally shook off his appreciative co-conspirator, and then cleared his throat. “Hogwarts house-elves assemble!” the headmaster ordered.

Crack! thundered throughout the cavernous kitchen again and again and again, until all hundred and more house elves filled the kitchen, from wall to wall, some standing upon the tables and benches that mirrored the four tables in the Great Hall above. They waited expectantly for Snape to speak, some nevertheless sticking out their tongues, and others making raspberries and other rude sounds.

“Silence!” Snape commanded and the room fell quiet. Headmaster Snape looked out over the very small army that was his.

“First things first. Headmaster Dumbledore perhaps did not mind if you called him a barmy old codger or said or did other things, but you will notice that I am not him. You will not speak disrespectfully of me, or make disrespectful faces or noises...or hand gestures,” he added pointedly to an elf in the first row that was about to do something obscene.

Clearly disappointed, all of the elves put their hands down and their little elf tongues back in their faces.

“Now then, what I’m about to tell you, you will not divulge to anyone: not to the Carrows, the teachers, Caretaker Filch, the students, the ghosts, nor to anyone else either inside or outside of Hogwarts. You will not speak of my instructions or your activities to any of my successors. Is that clear?”

A hundred and more elf heads with wobbly ears bobbed up and down.

“Well spoken, Headmaster,” Dobby praised the loophole-proof language of the secrecy command.

Snape glanced over at the free elf, hoping there wasn't going to be another display of elfen emotion. His black eyes turned back to his assembled troops. “All right then. Now that I have your attention, this is what we are going to do…”

Some glad morning when this life is o'er
I'll fly away, Fly away, In the morning--
To my home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away, I'll fly away, I'll fly away...

Last edited by The Black Adder; September 11th, 2007 at 5:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
“I’m trying to get my potion formulas down on parchment. Most of them I haven’t anywhere except in my head. With the influence I have at the Ministry at the moment, I might as well get a potions textbook published to replace that absurdly out of date thing Slughorn is using.”
I really hope he got that book published

Wonderful, the Black Adder! I love the idea of Snape's miniature army

The New Bestseller - Available Now at Flourish and Blotts!
(for fan mail, feedback, hair-care tips and marriage proposals, please click here)

One of the COS Authorteers - Barbara Kennedy, emikkime, Guardian Angel, Miri, thethirdman, leenielou, Kate Johnson, Prosperine, Lady DeMimsy and Amina, along with Potter_fan, Jessie and Captain Pookers.
Old September 12th, 2007, 1:11 am
First Year

A highly entertaining thread, full of wit and cleverness and many cunning plans. Does anyone suppose that there could be a Hogwart's house elf called Baldrick?

May all of Snape's house-elves keep all of you well supplied in parchment and quills.

Old September 12th, 2007, 1:31 am
Defender of Dogs

I would have absolutely loved to see an extra chapter in the book, one about Snape and what's happening at Hogwarts. Maybe it could've been the Gryffindor Sword scene?

Last edited by DeathlyH; September 12th, 2007 at 1:31 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old September 13th, 2007, 4:54 pm
Fourth Year

to Snapeís POV, Eye of Newt and Deathly721! Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Heir
I really hope he got that book published

Wonderful, the Black Adder! I love the idea of Snape's miniature army
Thanks, True heir. I was trying to imagine how Snape might have gone about protecting the students, since he couldnít overrule the Carrows all the time or be everywhere, and the idea of this headmaster ďresourceĒ came to mind. I love the image of Snape standing at the head of a room full of little obedient house elves...

And yes, it bothered me that his old potions book with all of his improvements went up in the fire. What a lossÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Newt
A highly entertaining thread, full of wit and cleverness and many cunning plans. Does anyone suppose that there could be a Hogwart's house elf called Baldrick?
Baldrick would definitely be a good name for a house elf.

Some glad morning when this life is o'er
I'll fly away, Fly away, In the morning--
To my home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away, I'll fly away, I'll fly away...
Old October 26th, 2007, 6:17 pm
First Year

I just found this thread (I'm a little behind apparently) I wondered if there would be a post DH version of my favorite thread. I see it has been a while since anyone has posted anything. I'm no writer, but I do love to read the great stories that are generated here. I guess I'll keep checking back.

Old December 31st, 2007, 4:43 am
Sixth Year

Hey everyone! I finally found out where this thread was again! I never got a chance to read The Headmaster's Solution, so here's my feedback on it:

Quote:
“Dumbledore’s Army is on the march again,” Snape informed the newest portrait. They keep leaving their Graffiti about in Weasley’s Wall Art Permanent Paint. Filch has a terrible time getting it off.”
Yes! Go Dumbledore's Army! I can imagine the sort of things they would put on the wall in permanent paint.

Quote:
Ginevra Weasley was another matter. He wondered why it was Draco hadn’t given her up to the Dark Lord. Surely he had seen her pairing off with Potter the end of last year? It would be a simple matter to take the girl hostage and wait for the boy with the “saving thing” to come rescue her. Of course, prior to Draco learning Occlumency, Snape had been surprised at the inordinate number of memories of the redhead in Draco’s own mind. Something about those redheads...
Hmm, do I detect a hint of care and affection for a Weasley here?

Quote:
Lastly, Snape didn’t know what to make of Luna Lovegood. Punishments didn’t seem to leave too much impression upon the girl. He suspected she might have aptitude for Altered States Magic.
Ha, I can just imagine Luna getting detention for mention snorkaks during class . . .

Quote:
“Winky is in rehab at the moment, but Headmaster Snape has more than a hundred house-elves at his service!”

A very enjoyable read! I really like how Snape was trying so hard to help the students, it shows that he really does care about their welfare. I really missed this thread, I hope new short stories will be posted soon!

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old December 31st, 2007, 5:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

What a great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
Ginevra Weasley was another matter. He wondered why it was Draco hadnít given her up to the Dark Lord. Surely he had seen her pairing off with Potter the end of last year? It would be a simple matter to take the girl hostage and wait for the boy with the ďsaving thingĒ to come rescue her. Of course, prior to Draco learning Occlumency, Snape had been surprised at the inordinate number of memories of the redhead in Dracoís own mind. Something about those redheads...
Heh. You know, I always imagine that Ginny would have been one of the very few students who would not have been that scared of Snape. And given the red hair, he might have harboured a soft spot for the girl (in an avuncular way, people!!) although he would die rather than admit it.

Quote:
Lastly, Snape didnít know what to make of Luna Lovegood. Punishments didnít seem to leave too much impression upon the girl. He suspected she might have aptitude for Altered States Magic.
I can imagine even Severus being stumped by Planet Luna. I just love Luna.

Quote:
He looked down into the sincere green eyes of the elf before him. Too large and round, as Mrs. Norrisís were too small. He suddenly realized how much he missed looking at that certain face, the hated face that held captive her eyes. He would give anything just to be a child again.
Wah, Severus. The angst, it kills me!

I loved the house-elves in this. Blowing raspberries. And, yep, Sev can trust the little blighters.

Old December 31st, 2007, 5:55 pm
Sixth Year

Sadly enough I've never read the entire Return to Hogwarts (I skipped right down to Happy Birthday, Lord Voldemort, what can I say, the title grabbed me ). However now I am reading it and I'm sure it will be great.

EDIT: I was right! Another amazing story. Severus really is an astounding actor. I can't believe he faced McGonagall without some back up, say, three or four Death Eaters! And the way you portrayed the characters was very true to the books. Very nice zgirnius, I hope you publish more!

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Old December 31st, 2007, 8:12 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
Sadly enough I've never read the entire Return to Hogwarts (I skipped right down to Happy Birthday, Lord Voldemort, what can I say, the title grabbed me ). However now I am reading it and I'm sure it will be great.

EDIT: I was right! Another amazing story. Severus really is an astounding actor. I can't believe he faced McGonagall without some back up, say, three or four Death Eaters! And the way you portrayed the characters was very true to the books. Very nice zgirnius, I hope you publish more!
Thanks, witchsmart! I am currently writing a longer story about Snape, set in the time of OotP-HBP, but using the knowledge we gained in Book 7. There is a link to the first 4 chapters in my signature. ("A Tangled Web").

Also - "Return to Hogwarts" was read on FictionAlley's podcast - there is a link to that podcast in my sig as well.

Happy New Year, all!

ďDeath is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.Ē-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old December 31st, 2007, 8:50 pm
First Year

Oh it's good to find this thread again. I've only been lurking the forums the last few months, not posting much, but I remember that this was always one of my favorite threads. I only posted one POV in one of them, think it was post-HBP, a chapter from my (still unfinished) fanfic, lol. I think I may try to write up some more, though all of the ones are already so good o.o

Old January 24th, 2008, 9:02 pm
Sixth Year

What do you all think of my new signature? (Modeled after true_heir_of_slyth's POV, Happy Birthday, Lord Voldemort!)

Twins on a Train
No Chance
Runaway

Last edited by witchsmart; January 25th, 2008 at 3:50 pm.
Old April 9th, 2008, 4:38 am

witchsmart, your sig is awesome!

I felt sad watching this thread languish at the bottom of my Pensieve...so I'm posting something.

It is an excerpt from Ch. 9 of my fic, "A Tangled Web", but works as a self-contained retelling of a scene from "The Prince's Tale" in DH.

"The Ring"

Severus Snape sat at his desk in his dungeon office. He yawned as he double-checked his sums on the budget for replacement Potions ingredients that he wanted to submit to Professor McGonagall the following morning. He’d inventoried his supply cabinets that day, owing to Dumbledore’s request he stay around.

The Headmaster wanted to meet with him, after an errand, the nature of which he had obviously been at pains to conceal, Severus recalled. He did not mind staying at Hogwarts, since the alternative would have been to spend the night at home with his unwanted guest. It was the mystery that irritated him. If the matter could have no conceivable connection to their meeting, why mention it? And if on the contrary it did…how did the old man expect him to be of service while leaving him in the dark?

Suddenly, behind him, he heard the Headmaster, speaking in a strained voice, “Severus!”

Rising and turning about in alarm, he saw the silvery Phoenix Patronus of Dumbledore. The Headmaster had indicated he would stop by upon his return, but Severus had expected this would involve meeting in person.

“I’m back. I need you…my office,” the familiar voice croaked.

The unnatural timbre of the messenger’s voice suggested Dumbledore needed his help urgently. Severus reached for the tin of Floo powder above the fireplace in his office and grabbed a handful.

“The Headmaster’s Office!” he spoke clearly, as he threw the powder in and stepped into the green flames that shot up in the empty fireplace.

Severus spun out of the fireplace into the Headmaster’s office, and the green flames winked out behind him as he steadied himself. Before him, he saw the back of the Headmaster’s thronelike chair, and Dumbledore himself, his body slumped over the armrest so that his right arm dangled freely.

“Headmaster!” he said, but received no response.

His heart in his throat, Severus hurried around the chair, horrified to behold the unnatural, waxy pallor of the Headmaster’s face and his uncharacteristically disheveled appearance. Quickly and efficiently, he reached for Dumbledore’s neck and felt for his pulse, while his eyes scanned Dumbledore’s body, seeking an explanation for his condition.

The relief Severus felt at finding a pulse, however weak and slow, changed rapidly to dismay at the sight of Albus’s ring finger. It was blackened and burned, and as Severus focused his attention on this alarming sight, he saw tendrils of darkness creeping into the hand and other fingers.

To buy time, he whipped out his wand and cast a quick "Ennervate!” He was gratified to see Albus stir ever so slightly.

A gold ring he had never seen before, with a massive, cracked black stone set in it, lay before Dumbledore’s body on the desk. A sword encrusted with rubies lay beside it.
Severus cast revealing spells on the two objects. The ring, as the blackened ring finger had led him to suspect, was the vector of a powerful curse, a curse that defied his attempts to identify its precise nature. He judged it might be a novel curse invented specifically for the protection of this artifact. The ruby-encrusted sword, though clearly also a magical artifact of some power, he judged not relevant to his immediate problem. Nor, he told himself firmly, was the question that intruded forcibly on his consciousness, of why Albus had taken the risk of wearing the cursed ring in the first place.

After making a hasty mental inventory of his store of potions, Severus flicked his wand and summoned the potion he judged best-suited to the nature of the curse and the symptoms he had observed. While he waited for its arrival, he knelt on the floor beside the headmaster and began to mutter countercurses, seeking to reverse the spread of the unknown curse. The black tendrils persisted in their incursions, as Severus tried every counterspell he could dredge from his memory, with little success. The pulse in the wrist held by the fingers of his left hand remained weak and slow, and the Headmaster’s entire hand was turning black.

As the bottle of glowing golden potion floated into the room, Severus pointed his wand instead at Dumbledore’s wrist, above the farthest incursion of the curse damage, and began to mutter a potent blocking spell, that should prevent the curse from spreading further. He set Dumbledore’s hand down carefully on the armrest to free his left hand, and plucked the little bottle out of the air, all the while continuing his spell work with his wand hand. He forced the little crystal stopper out of the bottle with his left thumb, so that it fell to the floor and shattered with a musical tinkle that Severus ignored. He pushed the Headmaster’s head back to open his mouth and poured the thick golden potion down Albus’s throat, continuing to murmur the blocking spell.

Severus waited anxiously for a few moments. Then his patient’s eyes opened, and color began creeping back into his face.

“Why,” the question he had forced to the back of his mind as he concentrated on the task at hand burst out of him, “why did you put on that ring? It carries a curse, surely you realized that. Why even touch it?”

Albus grimaced, remembering his recent experience in the Gaunt house.

“I…was a fool. Sorely tempted…”

Even Severus could tell that it was not the ring’s aesthetic qualities that had formed the basis of the temptation.

“Tempted by what?” he demanded.

A fair question, Albus allowed, but the secret of the Hallows was not one he would entrust to a man he sent to face Voldemort on a regular basis. He did not answer.

“It is a miracle you managed to return here!” Severus exclaimed, increasingly irritated at the lack of response. Did Albus not understand how fortunate he was to have survived the consequences of this ‘temptation’? “That ring carried a curse of extraordinary power, to contain it is all we can hope for; I have trapped the curse in one hand for the time being-”

The Headmaster raised his blackened, useless hand and examined it dispassionately. It was as Severus said – the curse was contained for some short time at least. He had avoided the worst-case scenario he had imagined. He would have time to pass on his knowledge of the Horcruxes.

“You have done very well, Severus,” Albus said. He kept his voice calm as he asked the question that would determine how well he might prepare Harry before the end. “How long do you think I have?”

Severus thought for a moment, weighing what he knew of such curses against the likely efficacy of the treatment he had provided. He had done well, he recognized, to accomplish as much as he had. This did nothing to relieve the sense of inadequacy that the knowledge of his failure engendered, for Albus faced a death sentence. The curse was too powerful, he had started too late, and there was nothing he could now do to cure it.

“I cannot tell. Maybe a year. There is no halting such a spell forever. It will spread eventually; it is the sort of curse that strengthens over time.” He was inwardly pleased to have matched Albus’s conversational tone.

Albus smiled at him, unable to hide entirely his relief at the news. He would have time to tell Harry of the Horcruxes properly, then. He could pass on to him all he had learned, and guide him to an independent understanding of the problem.

“I am fortunate, extremely fortunate, that I have you, Severus,” Albus said, and knew it for the simple truth as he spoke.

“If you had only summoned me a little earlier, I might have been able to do more, buy you more time!” said Severus. The compliment had brought his anger back to the surface. If he was so bleeding useful to have around, why had Dumbledore not sought his help immediately, when it would have done the most good? Why had he not been given advance notice that he might need to treat an injury of this nature? He looked down at the broken ring and the sword. “Did you think that breaking the ring would break the curse?”

“Something like that...I was delirious, no doubt….” Albus replied evasively.

The keen observation and logical mind that made Severus a spymaster’s dream had its price when it came to keeping his own secrets. It was time to change the subject, Albus decided. The certainty of his own death within the year altered his view of another problem. He’d been considering, since his last conversation with Severus, how best to rescue Draco Malfoy, while retaining Severus in Voldemort’s favor and remaining alive at the same time.

Remaining alive and undefeated, only to die from a curse cast by Lord Voldemort, however, would be nothing less than a disaster now. It would cause the Elder Wand to transfer its loyalty to Voldemort, which might destroy the frail hope of survival for Harry that Albus had clung to ever since Voldemort had dared to take Harry’s blood for his reborn body.

He sat up in his chair, and Severus could see the effort cost him, but he continued in a casual tone, “Well, really, that makes matters much more straightforward.”

Severus looked at him, uncomprehending. Certainly, Dumbledore contracting a fatal curse did wonders for simplifying everyone’s life. He kept this sarcastic observation to himself, however.

“I refer to the plan Lord Voldemort is revolving around me,” Albus clarified. “His plan to have the poor Malfoy boy murder me.”

Severus sat down in the guest chair across from the Headmaster’s desk, as he had done so often in the past five years. He wanted to say more about the hand, but Albus stopped him with a gesture. Scowling, Severus explained instead, “The Dark Lord does not expect Draco to succeed. This is merely punishment for Lucius’s recent failures. Slow torture for Draco’s parents, while they watch him fail and pay the price.”

“In short, the boy has a death sentence pronounced upon him as surely as I have,” said Dumbledore. He wanted to be sure that he understood the situation fully before putting his solution before Severus. “Now, I would have thought the natural successor to the job, once Draco fails, is yourself?”

Severus thought back to his recent conversation with the Dark Lord, about “other measures”. There could be little doubt.

“That, I think, is the Dark Lord’s plan,” he confirmed.

“Lord Voldemort foresees a moment in the near future when he will not need a spy at Hogwarts?” Dumbledore asked.

“He believes the school will soon be in his grasp, yes,” Severus replied. With both elements of his plan accomplished, with Dumbledore gone and the Ministry under his control, the Dark Lord would be able to do as he wished at Hogwarts, Severus reflected with dismay.

“And if it does fall into his grasp,” said Dumbledore casually, “I have your word that you will do all in your power to protect the students of Hogwarts?”

Severus nodded stiffly. He would, of course, but as Head of Slytherin, he was best situated to protect those students who would likely need it least.

“Good,” Albus said, pleased at Severus’s quick agreement. “Now then. Your first priority will be to discover what Draco is up to. A frightened teenage boy is a danger to others as well as to himself. Offer him help and guidance, he ought to accept, he likes you-”

“-much less since his father has lost favor,” Severus interrupted, remembering his conversation with the boy on the final Sunday of the school term. “Draco blames me; he thinks I have usurped Lucius’s position.”

“All the same, try,” Albus said. “I am concerned less for myself than for accidental victims of whatever schemes might occur to the boy. Ultimately, of course, there is only one thing to be done if we are to save him from Lord Voldemort’s wrath.”

Severus raised his eyebrows in disbelief and asked in a sardonic tone, “Are you intending to let him kill you?”

“Certainly not. You must kill me,” Albus replied. For, barring a fortunate accident or illness on which he dared not rest his hopes, a death he arranged was the only way that remained for him to die undefeated, and extinguish the threat the wand posed to Harry.

Severus looked across the desk at the man whose life he had just saved, if only for a year. To take it away again… the idea was unthinkable. Unbearable. A silence fell, interrupted only by the clicking of Fawkes’s beak. It was ridiculous for him even to have to respond to such a suggestion, Severus fumed inwardly, but Albus continued to regard him calmly, as though he had made a perfectly reasonable request.

“Would you like me to do it now?” asked Severus finally, his voice heavy with irony. “Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?”

“Oh, not quite yet,” said Albus with a smile. He had rather suspected Severus would not jump on the idea. “I daresay the moment will present itself in due course. Given what has happened tonight,” he indicated his withered hand, a reminder of the changed circumstances, before continuing, “we can be sure that it will happen within a year.”

“If you don’t mind dying,” said Severus roughly, “why not let Draco do it?”

“The boy’s soul is not yet so damaged,” Dumbledore explained. “I would not have it ripped apart on my account.”

“And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?” Severus blurted out, the words tumbling from his mouth in his distress before his mind could assemble the words to phrase a more refined objection. Albus knew the full enormity of his transgressions, knew he was no innocent. Even so, how could he so casually ask a murder of him?

“You alone know whether it will harm your soul to help an old man avoid pain and humiliation,” said Dumbledore. “I ask this one great favor of you, Severus, because death is coming for me as surely as the Chudley Cannons will finish bottom of this year’s league. I confess I should prefer a quick, painless exit to the protracted and messy affair it will be if, for instance, Greyback is involved – I hear Voldemort has recruited him? Or dear Bellatrix, who likes to play with her food before she eats it.”

Albus’s tone was light, but his blue eyes regarded Severus intently. The picture these words painted in his mind was all too credible, and with the details his memory could supply, it was too horrible to contemplate. It was not precisely a murder that Albus was asking of him, then, though it would have all the semblance of one. Could he cast the Killing Curse, accept the favor of the Dark Lord, and face the scorn of all who had not yet succumbed to the Dark Lord? This last was no more than he deserved, for the blood he had on his hands, Severus reminded himself bitterly. Yet Albus had hired him, had enlisted him to protect Potter, and had kept his secret…. He gave another curt nod. He would do it.

“Thank you, Severus…” Albus said quietly, and leaned his head back against his chair. He felt abruptly a weariness beyond measure, from which even the immense relief he felt at having avoided the complete ruin of all his plans could not buoy him.

Severus rose quickly from his chair and approached, wand drawn, to check on the condition of the arm. The barrier was in place and showed no deterioration, he ascertained quickly. The Headmaster’s sudden weakness must be due to fatigue after a long day, exacerbated by the effects of the curse. He summoned a potion for dreamless sleep from his office.

Albus submitted to this treatment, content to let his mind drift as Severus examined him. He drank the potion Severus offered him without argument, and agreed he would be getting himself to bed immediately. The further details of his revised plans, he could work out later. Severus had given him the time he needed.

ďDeath is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.Ē-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Old April 9th, 2008, 4:51 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

That was a treat to read, Zara!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old April 9th, 2008, 8:22 pm
Second Year

true_heir_of_slyth :

Wow ! That is amazing !! And I'm so totally going to read your Voyage with Vampires

James & Lily
Hermione & Ron - Luna & Trevor
u2 & Nirvana - Green Day & The White Stripes
The Doctor & Me.

A Little Bit Of Fanart
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live." - Dumbledore PS Film
Old November 9th, 2008, 3:37 am
Qvack...

Zgirnius has directed me here to post a small story I showed some people in the Election Group- so I'll post the little oneshot, and we can revive the Snape love!

-----------------------

Last Moments

Itís hard for me to explain it, even when I know that nobody can see. Itís not some angst ridden story of horror and hatred- itís a story about love, and how easily I was overcome by it- to my detriment, and to my eternal regret.

A whole lifetime passes in a blur and I find myself here. Here and now, in what I suspect are my final moments on this earth. I wonít lie, Iím absolutely terrified. I know that he can see it in my face- but he canít see it in my head, Iíve made sure of that.

Thereís no way for him to know, and yet he seems to have some inkling, some idea, some thought that allows him to guess- correctly- whatís been happening behind his back. All I can think to do is beg, but I know thatís getting me nowhere. Itís like an out of body experience, something vague and forgotten, blurred lines and hurt, no matter how hard I try to think otherwise.

Itís almost over now, I know. I see that... monster coming toward me. I wish I could have changed it all. Wish I could have gone back, and just told her I loved her. Maybe I wouldnít have taken such a sour path and made so many mistakes. You have no idea what itís like to regret almost 40 years of a life half lived. I hated it, every last second.

So why am I scared to leave it now, when it doesnít matter anymore?

I thought I would go peacefully, quietly, alone and forgotten. I can feel something warm on my neck and face. Iím not sure why heís walking away. Am I to be left here to die like this? Coward! Come back and finish what you started!!! Come back and-

Someone else is here. I jolt. Wait. Donít die yet, not now, wait. I can still pass it on. Come here.

Come here! I can still do my work! Take it, just take it! Take it and leave!!! Leave me to die alone! I donít want to see your face here!

Or do I? Not your face- but hers. Not your eyes... Her eyes.

Look at me.

Look at me.

Look..

THE DUCK.

Old November 9th, 2008, 4:06 am

Very nice, vampiricduck!

All was well.

Old November 9th, 2008, 4:28 am

I'll echo what I said in the group, which went something like this: Wow. Very well done, vampiricduck!

Old November 9th, 2008, 4:40 am
Qvack...

Stop crying!!! Stop it!!

for zgirnius!!!

And thanks to you both- I never knew this thread was here! I might give a shot at something else for here too.

THE DUCK.

Old November 9th, 2008, 8:23 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Beautiful Aisling!

Wonderfully written..makes me feel so sad for him...

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References