Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

Spanish

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:55 am
First Year

Spanish

This is the thread to improve your Spanish. Here you can ask Spanish-speaking members questions about the language and ask about correct translations for words.

*PS I can not speak fluent Spanish but I wanted there to be a Spanish thread so people like me can learn more Spanish.

Proud member of Dumbledore's Army!

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!

Last edited by jshapiro10510; February 14th, 2008 at 3:39 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 2:31 am
Fifth Year

Re: Spanish

Well, this is basically all the Spanish I know:

Hola, me llamo BelleSnowyOwl. Soy de Canada. Tengo diecisiete años. Vivo con mi padres y mi hermano. Soy morena y alta. A mi me gusta escucha la radio. Voy a comer el pollo.

That's one semester's worth; I'm taking Spanish 120 next semester so I'm sure I'll come back to this thread later.

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old September 12th, 2007, 2:34 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleSnowyOwl View Post
Well, this is basically all the Spanish I know:

Hola, me llamo BelleSnowyOwl. Soy de Canada. Tengo diecisiete años. Vivo con mi padres y mi hermano. Soy morena y alta. A mi me gusta escucha la radio. Voy a comer el pollo.

That's one semester's worth; I'm taking Spanish 120 next semester so I'm sure I'll come back to this thread later.
that's good, but it would be "Vivo con MIS padres y mi hermano. Also, the "me gusta" sentence should read, "Me gusta escuchar al radio." The "A" is not needed. Hope that helped!

Old September 12th, 2007, 3:18 am
Fifth Year

Thanks! uh...I mean, gracias!

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old September 12th, 2007, 4:20 am
First Year

I don't know much either. Mi nombre es jshapiro. Soy de New Jersey. Tengo un perro. Tengo que hacer mucho tarea. No me gusta escribir, pero me encanta Harry Potter! Me gusta pizza, papas fritas, pasta, y pollo. Miro el television. Juego tenis. Toco la trumpeta. Estoy muy sueno.

Proud member of Dumbledore's Army!

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
Old September 12th, 2007, 4:21 am
Second Year

My Spanish saying is:

Me gusta queso y leche.

The randomness of it makes a lot of people laugh.

Old September 12th, 2007, 4:32 am
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugino3 View Post
My Spanish saying is:

Me gusta queso y leche.

The randomness of it makes a lot of people laugh.
It should actually be "Me gustan queso y leche" because you have a plural subject.

I'd be willing to help anyone who needs any with Spanish. I've taken Spanish for over 5 years, studied abroad, and am in a 300-level course at college.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Old September 12th, 2007, 4:36 am
Second Year

ok,

Me gustan queso y leche.

thanks.

Old September 12th, 2007, 5:13 am
Fifth Year

Hola! Me llamo Aramina. Soy de Georgia. Tengo diecinueve años. Soy morena y baja. Vivo con mis padres y mi hermano. Tengo dos gatos y un perro.

Me gustan escribir, hablar francés, y ayudar mi profesora de español. Qué más? Soy soltera...estoy cansada Mi hermano y yo aprendemos español (pero él está en español 1 y estoy en español 4). Enseño una clase de niños por mi profesora, y la ayudo enseñar la clase de mi hermano a veces.

Ayúdeme, por favor, Lisa Turpin, si piense (o pienses?) que necesito su ayuda.

For those who have trouble:
Hi! My name is Aramina. I'm from Georgia. I'm 19. I'm a brunette and I'm short. I live with my parents and my brother. I have two cats and a dog.

I like to write, to speak French, and to help my Spanish teacher. What else? I'm single...I'm tired. My brother and I are learning Spanish (but my brother is in Spanish 1 and I'm in Spanish 4). I'm teaching a class of children for my teacher, and I help her teach my brother's class sometimes.

Help me, please, Lisa Turpin, if you [formal] think (or you [informal] think) that I need your help.

Old September 12th, 2007, 5:50 am
Deslumbrante

Aramina, hablas (o escritas... cualquier) muy bien.

¿Cuantos años has estudiado español?

Aramina, you speak (or write... whichever) very well. How many years have you studied Spanish?

Old September 12th, 2007, 6:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
Aramina, hablas (o escritas... cualquier) muy bien.

¿Cuantos años has estudiado español?

Aramina, you speak (or write... whichever) very well. How many years have you studied Spanish?
Gracias Pienso un año, más o menos algunas semanas. Pero hablo francés tambien y porque sé francés es más fácil aprender español.

Thank you. I think about a year, plus or minus a few weeks. But I also speak French and because I know French it is easier to learn Spanish.

Old September 12th, 2007, 3:29 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramina View Post
Gracias Pienso un año, más o menos algunas semanas. Pero hablo francés tambien y porque sé francés es más fácil aprender español.

Thank you. I think about a year, plus or minus a few weeks. But I also speak French and because I know French it is easier to learn Spanish.

¿Sólo un año? Tu español es tan bueno como my inglés, y llevo casi diez años estudiando (claro que yo no hablo francés). ¡Enhorabuena!

Only a year? Your Spanish is as good as my English, and I've been studying for almost ten years (it's true that I don't speak French). Congratulations!

Old September 12th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Gwen's Auntie

Hola, Me llamo mac_attack. Soy de Utah. Tengo diecinueve anos. Vivo con mi padres y mi hermana y mi abuela. Tengo dos gatos y un perro.

Ok...this is all my knowledge left over from Jr. High spanish and Dora the Explorer. Did I get the words right? Gatos means cat and perro means dog right? And abuela is grandmother?

I really want to improve my spanish, it's such a beautiful language! Can anyone tell me what the best, fastest way to learn is?? I took spanish I in 7th grade and Spanish II in 8th...but I can't say I learned much. Mostly we played games and conjugated (sp?) verbs over and over again and sang the alphabet. Is it best to take a class...or a private tutor...or one of those computer programs? I'd be happy to know if I need to correct any of my spanish above, thanks!!

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old September 12th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Fifth Year

Recomiendo leyendo libros en español o visitando un país que habla español. También podrías conseguir una cinta y mirar las programas españoles de la televisión.

Last edited by YellowPoofBall; September 12th, 2007 at 8:15 pm.
Old September 12th, 2007, 9:03 pm
First Year

Hi everyone! I'm spanish, I'm glad to see all the people who can speak my language. For me it's a little difficult to write in english, but i can easily underestand it. I´m here for everything you need. I think that the better way to learn a language is studing (sorry for that, because I have to pass an italian exam in few weeks) but seen tv shows or movies can help, also try to reed books, try with harry i read the books first in spanish then in english this way I don't have to look the dictionary all the time.

Suerte con el Español

Old September 13th, 2007, 1:42 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
¿Sólo un año? Tu español es tan bueno como my inglés, y llevo casi diez años estudiando (claro que yo no hablo francés). ¡Enhorabuena!

Only a year? Your Spanish is as good as my English, and I've been studying for almost ten years (it's true that I don't speak French). Congratulations!
Sí, sólo un año. Gracias Mi profesora es muy buena y me gusta aprender nuevos idiomas. También mi profesora conoce muchas personas que hablan español...ellos me ayuden practicar.

Yes, only a year. Thanks. My teacher is very good and I like to learn new languages. Also my teacher knows a lot of people who speak spanish. They help me practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack
Hola, Me llamo mac_attack. Soy de Utah. Tengo diecinueve anos. Vivo con mi padres y mi hermana y mi abuela. Tengo dos gatos y un perro.

Ok...this is all my knowledge left over from Jr. High spanish and Dora the Explorer. Did I get the words right? Gatos means cat and perro means dog right? And abuela is grandmother?

I really want to improve my spanish, it's such a beautiful language! Can anyone tell me what the best, fastest way to learn is?? I took spanish I in 7th grade and Spanish II in 8th...but I can't say I learned much. Mostly we played games and conjugated (sp?) verbs over and over again and sang the alphabet. Is it best to take a class...or a private tutor...or one of those computer programs? I'd be happy to know if I need to correct any of my spanish above, thanks!!
Your spanish is mostly fine. But, it should be "vivo con mis padres." And that's your only mistake Gato is cat, perro is dog, abuela is grandmother. Muy bien.

I couldn't tell you what the best way to learn is, though. I've only ever tried to learn a language by taking a class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall
Recomiendo leyendo libros en español o visitando un país que habla español. También podrías conseguir una cinta y mirar las programas españoles de la televisión.
En inglés: I recommend that you read books in Spanish or visit a Spanish-speaking country. Or you could...get a tape? and watch Spanish TV shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liri
Hi everyone! I'm spanish, I'm glad to see all the people who can speak my language. For me it's a little difficult to write in english, but i can easily underestand it. I´m here for everything you need. I think that the better way to learn a language is studing (sorry for that, because I have to pass an italian exam in few weeks) but seen tv shows or movies can help, also try to reed books, try with harry i read the books first in spanish then in english this way I don't have to look the dictionary all the time.
Hola! Entiendo que es dificil escribir en otro idioma...siempre tengo un diccionario cerca de mí por ayudarme. Pero tú escribes muy bueno. Estudiar mucho, mirar las programas españoles, leer los libros. Pienso a leer Harry en español pero debo le pedir (pedir es "order" en español, verdad?) de Amazon.com o Barnes and Noble.

Hello! I understand that it is difficult to write in another language. I always have a dictionary near me to help me. But you write very well. Study a lot, watch Spanish TV, read books. I plan to read Harry in Spanish but I must order it ("pedir" is order in Spanish, right?) from Amazon or B&N.

Last edited by Aramina; September 13th, 2007 at 1:44 am. Reason: adding English translation
Old September 13th, 2007, 2:50 am
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Sí, sólo un año. Gracias Mi profesora es muy buena y me gusta aprender nuevos idiomas. También mi profesora conoce muchas personas que hablan español...ellos me ayuden practicar.
Hay solamente una cosa pequeña... necesitas un "a" personal despues de "conoce" porque refieres a otras personas. Como asi: "También mi profesora conoce a muchas personas..."

There's only a little thing... you need a personal "a" after "conoce" because you refer to other people. Like this: "También mi profesora conoce a muchas personas..."
Quote:
Hola! Entiendo que es dificil escribir en otro idioma...siempre tengo un diccionario cerca de mí por ayudarme. Pero tú escribes muy bueno. Estudiar mucho, mirar las programas españoles, leer los libros. Pienso a leer Harry en español pero debo le pedir (pedir es "order" en español, verdad?) de Amazon.com o Barnes and Noble.
Sí, "pedir" es "to order." Muchas librerías tienen una sección para los libros de otros idiomas. Yo sé que en Borders vendemos los libros de Harry Potter en español en la sección por los niños.

Yes, "pedir" is "to order." Many bookstores have a section for books in other languages. I know that in Borders we sell the Harry Potter books in Spanish in the kids' section.

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:09 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Hay solamente una cosa pequeña... necesitas un "a" personal despues de "conoce" porque refieres a otras personas. Como asi: "También mi profesora conoce a muchas personas..."

There's only a little thing... you need a personal "a" after "conoce" because you refer to other people. Like this: "También mi profesora conoce a muchas personas..."

Sí, "pedir" es "to order." Muchas librerías tienen una sección para los libros de otros idiomas. Yo sé que en Borders vendemos los libros de Harry Potter en español en la sección por los niños.

Yes, "pedir" is "to order." Many bookstores have a section for books in other languages. I know that in Borders we sell the Harry Potter books in Spanish in the kids' section.
Ah! Digo a mis amigos utilizar un "a" personal...y me olvido de utilizarlo.

Ah! I tell my friends to use the personal "a"...and I forget to use it.

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:11 am
Deslumbrante

Quote:
Ah! Digo a mis amigos utilizar un "a" personal...y me olvido de utilizarlo.

Ah! I tell my friends to use the personal "a"...and I forget to use it.
Está bien. No somos perfectos todo el tiempo. Pero también creo que la frase es "se me olvidó."

It's ok. We're not perfect all the time. But also I think that the phrase is "se me olvidó."

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:24 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Está bien. No somos perfectos todo el tiempo. Pero también creo que la frase es "se me olvidó."

It's ok. We're not perfect all the time. But also I think that the phrase is "se me olvidó."
Gracias. No he utilizado ese frase antes de hoy. Sé solamente "the basics"

Thanks. I haven't used that phrase before today. I only know the basics.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab