Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Heroes v2

Old September 30th, 2009, 8:40 am
Sixth Year

Re: Heroes v2

Quote:
originally posted by GinnyisGenius
About the ink manipulation, the theory running out there is that it's "mineral ink". Heroes Wiki defines Samuel's ability as terrakinesis, the ability to manipulate and control geologic materials with his mind.
That makes sense. Samuel said something about making the batch himself. He could definitely make ink for himself out of minerals, or mud, or whatever he can control. That's cool.

Quote:
I think that's a pretty good theory, too. Samuel did mentioned to Lydia (as he was putting his suit on) that since Joseph dies, he'd felt lost without his compass ... or something like that. I think it would be safe to assume empaths are the ones that make the compass work.
Quote:
originally posted by Spacecadet
Hmm thats an interesting theory, i originally thought that the compass only worked for people with abilities, but if its only empaths that could have an interesting meaning for the compass... however what that is im not really sure....
Thanks. I noticed that too GiG. When Samuel said that, I wondered why he threw it away then. It doesn't make sense. I'm also wondering if there are two compasses? The one he tossed in the grave with Joseph and the one Danko had. They can't be the same one right? But I think it has to be that empaths can work it.

Samuel kept mentioning is grief to Peter. Maybe part of Peter's power, the part that's connected to the compass, is to show people how to deal with pain...to point the way so to speak. He definitely knows to say the right things to grieving people so maybe part of his empathy power is the ability to know what people need to do. This compass definitely has me intrigued!

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2009, 1:46 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post

Samuel kept mentioning is grief to Peter. Maybe part of Peter's power, the part that's connected to the compass, is to show people how to deal with pain...to point the way so to speak. He definitely knows to say the right things to grieving people so maybe part of his empathy power is the ability to know what people need to do. This compass definitely has me intrigued!
Im not so sure samuel saying the right things has to do with pointing the way through grief and pain so to speak, i think its more that he's using his powers of persuasion to manipulate people into doing what he wants them to do, and in this case he's playing on grief because he knows peter is a sensitive sympathy showing type of person. However i think the compass does fit in with the pointing the way i just dont think it necessarily comes out of grief and pain, i think its pointing the way to the group and their way of life and whatever their mystery purpose is.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old September 30th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Sixth Year

Well, I didn't mean just showing way through grief and pain. I just thought maybe that was the access point for Peter knowing how to tell people what they need to do. As an empath, it could start with grief and pain. But with the compass and a better grip on his power, maybe it could move from negative emotions to more general emotions.

Or maybe the tattoo on his arm will just point to the family and Samuel will explain something totally different.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old September 30th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Third Year

Wow. That was a really good episode (except for the Claire stuff)

Ahh, Peter Anyway, I like his story so far. For some reason I really liked the scene when he was filling out the paperwork in the deaf girl's office, and being such a nice guy he didn't make a big deal out of her headphones. And offering advice to Samuel on his brother.
Samuel is certainly an interesting guy. I wondered about the ink too, but making old-style ink out of earthy materials makes sense. So dad was the butler? When they showed the sunk-in house, I was like "Oh geez!" I think the compass is maybe to show Peter the way to something - what that is, I don't know.
Deaf girl. Visually, those were cool scenes, especially the cello. But I also wonder where this will go.
Claire just isn't very smart. After butting in to family lunch and annoying everyone, Claire still tells Gretchen whats going on. I still don't trust her. When she was like "Push, push, push, that's what I do" I was thinking of her pushing people out of windows.
Matt and Sylar. The most interesting plot of the night. I did not see Sylar's little "trick" coming. I was really freaked out, wondering what this awful man did to this poor little girl. And then Sylar's so calm and cool, and "I used your ability against you" Wow.

Oh, dumb question, but everyone is talking about empaths, in relation to Peter; what exactly does that mean?

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old September 30th, 2009, 7:14 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_human View Post

Oh, dumb question, but everyone is talking about empaths, in relation to Peter; what exactly does that mean?
dweaselqueen's theory ...

Samuel seems to be tracking down future members with abilities to be part of his carnival. We know that his brother Joseph died and that Samuel buried him with a compass. After that, Samuel sent Edgar to get another compass, the one Danko had. The compass didn't work on Noah's hand, but as soon as Peter touched it, it started spinning. At first, we thought it was because Noah doesn't have a special ability. But since Samuel has display a sudden interest in Peter after he learn he was an empath, we think the compass only works if an empath holds it.

What I don't get is why Samuel is so lost? What is he doing? Or what does he want to do?

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

“The ASP at Hogwarts”, “Hogwarts Staff Meeting” and “The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel)”: All by Inkwolf

Old September 30th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
dweaselqueen's theory ...

Samuel seems to be tracking down future members with abilities to be part of his carnival. We know that his brother Joseph died and that Samuel buried him with a compass. After that, Samuel sent Edgar to get another compass, the one Danko had. The compass didn't work on Noah's hand, but as soon as Peter touched it, it started spinning. At first, we thought it was because Noah doesn't have a special ability. But since Samuel has display a sudden interest in Peter after he learn he was an empath, we think the compass only works if an empath holds it.

What I don't get is why Samuel is so lost? What is he doing? Or what does he want to do?

i think samuel is only pretending to be l ost i think the man has a plan and its all an act to get to his end goal... what that is i dont know.

As far as the empath goes, i thought about the real meaning of the word and it has to do with someone who takes others emotions onto themselves. based on that i wouldnt really consider peter an empath, he takes others abilities onto himself but not their emotions....

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post

As far as the empath goes, i thought about the real meaning of the word and it has to do with someone who takes others emotions onto themselves. based on that i wouldnt really consider peter an empath, he takes others abilities onto himself but not their emotions....
I have thought about that before, but hadn't made the connection.

Peter's power was Empathic mimicry, to be specific. He mimicked people abilities. Now they call it "Ability replication".
(http://heroeswiki.com/Peter)

Lydia, the one with the tattoos, is actually an empath in the sense you are talking about, Spacey. At least, according to Heroes Wiki. (http://heroeswiki.com/Lydia)

So ... you are right ... Peter is not an empath right now. There goes the theory.

“The ASP at Hogwarts”, “Hogwarts Staff Meeting” and “The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel)”: All by Inkwolf

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:

And wow, Sylar has manage to make Matt interesting!
Personally I think Sylars character is old and boring.
And Matt has always been a bit boring....if one of the heroes were to die soon, I'd want it too be him..or the blond chcik(again), I have always hated that actress...err I thought they were done with her like forever ago..but nooo..

Old October 1st, 2009, 2:51 am
Third Year

Ok, thanks. I was just looking for the meaning of the word "empath". I wonder why Samuel is gathering people? What's the purpose?

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old October 1st, 2009, 3:23 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Thanks. I noticed that too GiG. When Samuel said that, I wondered why he threw it away then. It doesn't make sense. I'm also wondering if there are two compasses? The one he tossed in the grave with Joseph and the one Danko had. They can't be the same one right? But I think it has to be that empaths can work it.
I initially thought that anyone with abilities could work the compass. For some reason, when Samuel buried his brother, I assumed that each carnival person had their own compass. Samuel sent the knife guy to get his brother's compass back from Danko. That was my interpretation at the time. But maybe that's not right. Maybe you guys are right about only empaths having the compass. But then, why were there two of them?
Quote:
When she was like "Push, push, push, that's what I do" I was thinking of her pushing people out of windows.
Good catch!
Quote:
He is an empath because he absorbs other's abilities by feeling what they feel (or he used to before they changed the rules and made it so he has to touch someone to do it). At least, isn't that how Elle taught Sylar to absorb her ability? She showed him he didn't have to cut off people's heads, he could use Peter's power as an empath to absorb abilities.
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I was just looking for the meaning of the word "empath". I wonder why Samuel is gathering people? What's the purpose?
I think he's replacing some of his current crew. Peter to replace his brother. Hiro to replace the eldery time traveler who will die soon. Don't know why Claire (and who else was it? Peter and Hiro?) appeared on Lydia's back.
Quote:
I'm intrigued by her power though I'm not sure what purpose it can or will play. Definitely made for pretty special effects though. I almost wonder if they're trying to set up a new character for Peter.
The thing I don't like about her "power" is that it's not a power. It is a medical condition. People can see sound. Saw it on an episode of House and the nurse in this ep of Heroes said the same thing. So unless they develop this into something beyond seeing sound, it is not an ability.
Quote:
About the ink manipulation, the theory running out there is that it's "mineral ink". Heroes Wiki defines Samuel's ability as terrakinesis, the ability to manipulate and control geologic materials with his mind.
That makes sense. Plus, he was making his own ink, so that fits.

Old October 1st, 2009, 4:52 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
Personally I think Sylars character is old and boring.
I think I just mini-stroked.
Wow, I think Sylar's character has been the one holding this entire show together. That's how much I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I initially thought that anyone with abilities could work the compass. For some reason, when Samuel buried his brother, I assumed that each carnival person had their own compass. Samuel sent the knife guy to get his brother's compass back from Danko. That was my interpretation at the time. But maybe that's not right. Maybe you guys are right about only empaths having the compass. But then, why were there two of them?
I thought the compass the knife guy (edgar?) was sent to get was Samuel's ... Wasn't Joseph buried with his compass? I think Samuel put in the grave before he moved the dirt.

About the empath and the compass, like I said, I don't think Peter is an empath anymore. His syntethic power is more like a version of his father's power, only one power at a time.
Quote:
He is an empath because he absorbs other's abilities by feeling what they feel (or he used to before they changed the rules and made it so he has to touch someone to do it). At least, isn't that how Elle taught Sylar to absorb her ability? She showed him he didn't have to cut off people's heads, he could use Peter's power as an empath to absorb abilities.
That's a pretty good explanation,

Quote:
I think he's replacing some of his current crew. Peter to replace his brother. Hiro to replace the eldery time traveler who will die soon. Don't know why Claire (and who else was it? Peter and Hiro?) appeared on Lydia's back.
But why does he need to replace his crew? I know one is dead, they other one is dying, but why do they need to be replace at all? I think that's where the compass will play its role, whatever it is ...

Last edited by GinnyIsGenius; October 1st, 2009 at 4:57 am.
Old October 1st, 2009, 4:56 am

Quote:
I think I just mini-stroked.
Wow, I think Sylar's character has been the one holding this entire show together. That's how much I disagree.
I'm with you, GiG. Sylar has been the best thing about the show for quite a while. I'm glad Samuel's there now, too, so I have someone else to be intrigued by.
Quote:
But why does he need to replace his crew? I know one is dead, they other one is dying, but why do they need to be replace at all?
Good questions. We don't know yet, but I hope we find out what exactly is up with the carnival people soon.

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:40 am
First Year

i think Sylar's a great villan but i hope he gets killed off at the end of this season because i think the writers are running out ideas for him. i don't really like Claire's new storyline either, i wish they would write it in that claire learns how to fight. i do like the fact that Peter is being more of a hero this season.

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
originally posted by lovesdraco
i think Sylar's a great villan but i hope he gets killed off at the end of this season because i think the writers are running out ideas for him.
That one was a full on stroke! I with GiG and freelantzer, Sylar is the only reason I'm still watching the show! If he died I don't have enough love left for the other characters to keep watching.

Ok, maybe that's an exxageration. I would probably watch for a few more episodes to see what happened, but honestly, the show would lose interest for me without Sylar. I can see what you mean about the writer's running out of ideas. I wish they'd run the good Sylar storyline for a while longer. I still want to see Sylar making waffles. But since Angela lied about Sylar being a Petrelli I guess that will never happen.

Quote:
originally posted by freelantzer
Exactly what I was going to say! Samuel and Ray Park's character both called Peter an empath. I think it's because Peter's ability is the sort of abilities version of what empathy is. Like you said, he can absorb other people abilities. Empathy is the ability to feel what other people feel, to know how they feel in a situation. Peter's ability is the same thing with abilities instead of emotions. Sylar's too but with the hunger added on to make him evil. Plus, I would say Peter is an empathetic person in general. Caring nurse, once worked hospice, always taking care of people, giving Nathan the benefit of the doubt over and over.

I noted at some point last season how a lot of people's abilities tend to reflect their personalities. Sylar felt like a nobody and discovered an ability that allowed him to be the most powerful and indulged his intelligent mind (the ability to know how everything works). Nathan had a superiority complex and developed the ability to fly like Superman. Peter is the compassionate one and he develops an empathetic ability. Hiro is always searching for his destiny and he develops an ability to truly affect change (the NY bombing for instance). Matt was insecure and he learned to read people's minds. The list goes on.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old October 1st, 2009, 1:07 pm
First Year

There are so many different characters in Heroes that your always going to get characters you love or hate, i don't hate Sylar he is still a great character so long as he still as great storylines. my favourite charaters are Peter and Nathan, i was sad that Nathan died, but if he had of lived we would not have the Nathan/Sylar/Matt storyline now. this storyline is one of best in show at the moment. i guess i am thinking what next once the storyline is over.

Last edited by lovesDraco; October 1st, 2009 at 1:09 pm.
Old October 1st, 2009, 1:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
I have thought about that before, but hadn't made the connection.

Peter's power was Empathic mimicry, to be specific. He mimicked people abilities. Now they call it "Ability replication".
(http://heroeswiki.com/Peter)

Lydia, the one with the tattoos, is actually an empath in the sense you are talking about, Spacey. At least, according to Heroes Wiki. (http://heroeswiki.com/Lydia)

So ... you are right ... Peter is not an empath right now. There goes the theory.
yes im still a bit confused... my jury is still out on the whole matter. I didnt realize Lydia was an empath.... i wonder why samuel always use's her for his ink drawings....

Quote:
This is exactly what i originally thought the compass was symbol of samuel's group and somehow part of their message and overall arcing goal. I think the compass Danko had was his brother's but im not sure who the one he was buried with belongs to. Im beginning to wonder if that compass might have been a fake and possibly the reason his brother is now dead... ok just a way out there thought.

Quote:
I would agree peter is an empathetic person, but im not sure his power is really an empath as far as i understand an empath would absorb someone else's emotions not their abilities.

Quote:
I think he's replacing his crew but i think he's also always on the lookout for people he can use to accomplish his goal whatever the heck that may be. I could be wrong but did i not see HRG appear on Lydia's back last episode... or maybe it was matt i cant remember now.

Quote:
Exactly what I was going to say! Samuel and Ray Park's character both called Peter an empath. I think it's because Peter's ability is the sort of abilities version of what empathy is. Like you said, he can absorb other people abilities. Empathy is the ability to feel what other people feel, to know how they feel in a situation. Peter's ability is the same thing with abilities instead of emotions. Sylar's too but with the hunger added on to make him evil. Plus, I would say Peter is an empathetic person in general. Caring nurse, once worked hospice, always taking care of people, giving Nathan the benefit of the doubt over and over.

I noted at some point last season how a lot of people's abilities tend to reflect their personalities. Sylar felt like a nobody and discovered an ability that allowed him to be the most powerful and indulged his intelligent mind (the ability to know how everything works). Nathan had a superiority complex and developed the ability to fly like Superman. Peter is the compassionate one and he develops an empathetic ability. Hiro is always searching for his destiny and he develops an ability to truly affect change (the NY bombing for instance). Matt was insecure and he learned to read people's minds. The list goes on.
Yes i guess when you put it all that way it makes a bit more sense to call peter an empath but i still see him more of a rogue like character from x-men than an empath more of an absorber than a sympathizer (well in terms of powers anyways) But i agree these character's powers for the most part do emulate their personalities and standard emotional reactions. Well for the most part, im not sure how claire's teenage angst fits in with her having a healing ability unless its that she is constantly trying to fix herself and make things right... or how tracy's water ability says anything about her but thats a whole other ball of wax i dont really want to get into.

Old October 1st, 2009, 3:44 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
originally posted by Spacecadet
Well for the most part, im not sure how claire's teenage angst fits in with her having a healing ability unless its that she is constantly trying to fix herself and make things right... or how tracy's water ability says anything about her but thats a whole other ball of wax i dont really want to get into.
I think Claire's goes into the whole teenage invincibility thing. Let's face it. Claire is always trying to convince her dad that she can take care of herself. She wants to be independent and make her own mistakes. Her ability to heal certainly gives her the power to fix most mistakes. She can't even get drunk for crying out loud. So she can't mess with drugs, she can heal from any accident, and she can't be shot. For the most part, she doesn't need anyone. Unfortunately, Claire mixes invincibility with stupidity (see Grechin).

As for Tracy, her original power was turning things to ice. When we first met her, she was a powerful politician and campaign strategist, and I believe the reporter called her the ice queen. She was known for being cold and direct. It was what her job needed. So turning things to ice was an extension of that. Now her power has evolved to include water. Don't know if that says anything about her or if the writers just got bored of ice.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old October 1st, 2009, 6:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Yes i guess when you put it all that way it makes a bit more sense to call peter an empath but i still see him more of a rogue like character from x-men than an empath more of an absorber than a sympathizer (well in terms of powers anyways)
I agree with Spacecadet on this one ... The empathy thing could have been argue with his original ability, but not as much with his current one, the synthetic one. I see it more as absorbing one's power, a version of the power his Dad had. The fact that now he has to touch the person he is taking the abilities from, is another reason why I see it as a spin-off of Mr. Petrelli's.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:51 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I agree with Spacecadet on this one ... The empathy thing could have been argue with his original ability, but not as much with his current one, the synthetic one. I see it more as absorbing one's power, a version of the power his Dad had. The fact that now he has to touch the person he is taking the abilities from, is another reason why I see it as a spin-off of Mr. Petrelli's.
I would have classified Peter the same way honestly. But since Samuel and Ray Parks called him an empath, I'm trying to find a way of explaining why he still is an empath. Empathic mimicry, his original power, makes sense. But now I'm not sure. Maybe his power isn't empathic mimicry anymore, but it's in the empath family. Maybe there's a grouping of powers that are all empaths but don't work the same way. Peter's original power, Lydia, Mr. Petrelli, and Sylar could all be empaths, but in different forms. Like how there are so many _______kines powers. They could all be in the same family: controlling things with your mind. Does that make sense?

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old October 3rd, 2009, 4:11 am

Quote:
I wish they'd run the good Sylar storyline for a while longer. I still want to see Sylar making waffles. But since Angela lied about Sylar being a Petrelli I guess that will never happen.
Sylar's waffles!

I agree that Sylar trying to be good was a very interesting direction for that character. I loved seeing him walk the morally grey line. And pairing him with HRG was genius. Too bad they dropped that storyline. It was a casualty of Operation Fix Crappy Season. They had messed up almost everything else on the show, so they brought in new people, and basically abandoned every plotline and tried to reset things back to how they were before that season began. Too bad they weren't a bit more discriminating.
Quote:
Excellent points! To tell the truth, I had never really thought about this before but you're totally right. Also, Nikki's power--super strength. She was desperately trying to take care of herself and her child any way she could. She felt she was struggling and vulnerable; she got super strength so no one could mess with her.

Also, deaf girl maybe wishes she could hear? Who else?
Quote:
Unfortunately, Claire mixes invincibility with stupidity (see Grechin).
Too true. I guess stupidity is kind of a teenage thing, too, though. Teenagers do things without really thinking about the consequences. They don't have a lot of life experience and don't always consider the bigger picture when making decisions. I know I look back at some of the stuff I did and am horrified by what an idiot I was at times.
Quote:
I see it as a spin-off of Mr. Petrelli's
This is a very cool idea. Hadn't thought of that.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives