Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Mac or PC

Old November 29th, 2007, 8:48 am
First Year

Re: Mac or PC

OSX or Windows. Depends on what you're more comfortable with. If you're looking for a standard computer to use, then use whatever you have always used. If you're looking for a gaming PC, go with Windows. If you're looking for graphics, video and music editing go OSX. If you're looking for programing, look at something like Linux (Ubuntu is very handy).

Old December 6th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I can use both, but prefer a PC to a Mac any day. For a while all I had to use was my husband's mac and I hated it. I can do it, but I don't like to. Sometimes I still use it when I can't be at my desktop for whatever reason, but I do like PCs more.

However, I will concede that macs certainly have advantages to PCs. I just personally don't need them...but my husband does.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old April 6th, 2008, 3:55 am
Second Year

Mac and I am never going back, I nearly failed college because I spent so much time maintaining Microsoft's oh so wonderful product. I love Leopard.

Old April 6th, 2008, 7:38 pm
First Year

I don't have any major objections to either. My computer is made by HP and runs Windows Vista and my phone is an iPhone. I've also used a Mac laptop and used a Windows laptop, I think this is where Mac is superior. My laptop couldn't keep up with everything I did and just broke and refused to reinstall the OS when I tried. I've never had such disappointment with a Mac laptop and I probably should have purchased the iBook G4 when I had the opportunity rather than a piece of machinery made by Compaq. Still, I plan to buy a MacBook Pro in the quite near future so everything is fine.

Also, I appreciate greatly that Macs do not force the user to have Internet Explorer on their computer. Irremovable. I despise that browser.

Old April 10th, 2008, 10:25 am
First Year

I have a mac laptop, an XP PC and a Linux PC

Old April 14th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Fifth Year

Well... I've used both, but I know my way around a PC 10x better than a Mac. I prefer to use what I know how to use so I prefer PCs. At the same time though, I'd really like to learn how to edit videos and whatnot so a Mac would be nice. I use MacBook Pros at school because the school got a HUGE donation for technology or something like that a year or two ago. So our Macs at school are more updated than our PCs but there are still more PCs in the school because even with all the grant money they couldn't update all the computer labs to Macs.

Old July 10th, 2008, 1:09 am
Fifth Year

I'm the new owner of a Macbook. I love it, even though I'm still finding my way around it. I'm in the process of transferring my files from my Windows XP PC and now I dread using it!

I'm not done with PCs though, as my work computer is one. A deathly slow one, at that, with more than its fair share of problems.

I'm very comfortable with XP and I could (almost) use it with my eyes closed. But I'm up for the change, and so far it's awesome (and will be better once I figure everything out!)

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old July 10th, 2008, 4:16 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I'm never used a mac and am very happy with my PC

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 11th, 2008, 4:50 am
First Year

I've always used PCs and know very little about Macs. I bought a new laptop recently and I don't know how many friends told me to switch to Mac: "So reliable...so easy...so this that and whatever..." I thought about it, weighed my options. But in the end I saw Macs as being a little on the expensive side and I found a Dell Inspiron that had everything I needed...so no Mac plunge for me. xD

But if anyone can convince me to buy a Mac in the future, I may consider making the switch...but don't count on it. PCs haven't failed me yet.

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:01 am
First Year

I've only owned PCs so it's definitely easier to handle for me. But I've "tested" a Mac when I was at my brother's and had to use the internet and load on my pictures, and I must say that, after a few days struggling with the thing to understand everything, I began to love Mac. It's easy to handle too, the design is funny and there are possibilities that PC don't have (and the contrary is true too).

Old July 11th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

I've used both and found the Mac is not worth the extra money unless being used for specific purposes (publishing being one).

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 13th, 2008, 12:48 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I've grown up using a PC so it's just easier to go with PC. I probably will never switch because I have no need to. I don't usually have to worry about if the program works on my computer. I use programs that are user-credited (trust worthy, of course!) and it takes a while for the Mac versions to come out. With a PC, I don't have to worry about that.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:04 am
Second Year

I've mostly used PCs unless I'm in school. Schools here all use MACs. And i hate them. HATE THEM!!!!

Old August 1st, 2008, 10:51 am
First Year

MAC's are better looking in my opinion, and attract fewer viruses but I am familiar with the PC operating system, so PC has my vote.

Old August 9th, 2008, 9:37 pm
First Year

Mac off course!All the way Mac!!!
/A Proud Switcher!

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Second Year

My family has always had a windows computer... but i somehow convinced them to get me a mac for college and my mom is planning on getting a mac for the next computer... still learning on how to get around and all but still love windows... just prefer macs more now...

Old August 14th, 2008, 2:32 am
Fifth Year

Now that I've been using my Mac for a month now, I'm in love.

What I love about it is that basically what you see is what you get. For example, on a PC, when you delete a program, you have to go through uninstallation, and then delete the remaining program files, icons, shortcuts, etc. For Macs, just drag the program into the trash and it's gone.

While clearing off my PC, I found applications and files that I had downloaded when we first got the computer - 6 years ago. Because of viruses and other problems, over the years I've had to create new users, deleting my old one. Little did I know that there were lingering remains in My Computer all this time, taking up hard drive space. Also, the start up and shutdown times on Macs are amazingly fast compared to PCs.

And this week I knew that I'd made the right choice by switching to Mac after a computer incident at work. Everything on the PC was fine one day, and the next I got an annoying explorer.exe .dll error, where no icons, taskbar, or start button would show up on the desktop. Using another computer I found the troubleshooting for this error on the Microsoft website. I followed the instructions, putting the computer in safe command mode (which I've never used before, so it was kind of intimidating). Well I did everythign correctly, but then there was another .dll error, and this time the Microsoft site had no troubleshooting for it. Thankfully there's a computer company in the building where I work, and a guy was able to come down and fix it. He worked his magic and in 10 minutes everything was back to normal. (I have no idea what he did but it was amazing ). Aaaanyway, I've never heard of Macs having these problems. And if it weren't for the tech wizard, we would've had to take the computer in, which would have cost a good $50, even if it was only took 10 minutes to fix.

Wow, this is a long post...but I'm just very happy that I switched to Mac.

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
Old August 15th, 2008, 8:55 am
Registered Animagus

I own a PC for general stuff like Word processing, games etc but My Powerbook (Mac laptop) for everything else. I like Safari better than IE or Firefox. Firefox annoys my pants off. Also I mostly use my mac for using Adobe products and macs are miles ahead in terms of using graphics programs.

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
It's kind of hard for me to choose, because I think that Macs are better computers than PCs, but I have less experience with them. I think if I were buying a computer now, I would choose a Mac, but it would take some time getting used to.
I'm making my first post off of my new Mac laptop... and I was wrong here. I really haven't had to 'get used' to it at all; it's very common sense. I thought it would be harder to navigate through it, but so far it's been quite easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleSnowyOwl
For Macs, just drag the program into the trash and it's gone.
Remember you have to empty the trash for the programs to be truly gone though. If you don't empty it, the program will really still be on the computer.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old August 19th, 2008, 1:54 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
Remember you have to empty the trash for the programs to be truly gone though. If you don't empty it, the program will really still be on the computer.
Yeah, I figured that out when deleting almost 1GB of video, but no new space was clearing up.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers