Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers

Mac or PC

Old August 19th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Second Year

Re: Mac or PC

I do like my PC but it's starting to drive me insane and I'm thinking about buying a MAC

"Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:04 pm
Fourth Year

I like Macs infinitely more, but I only have PC to use.

If you're thinking about switching though, take a look at some reasons and common questions here on Apple's website.

Get a Mac - Reasons
Get a Mac - FAQ

If everyone used a mac, the world would be so much better

(notice that I grew up on Windows all my life, too)

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old November 13th, 2008, 7:06 am
Registered Animagus

Macs are good if you want to do stuff with graphics or anything similar. PCs are rubbish in comparison (IMO).

Old November 13th, 2008, 2:16 pm
Third Year

Well, since I switched for an imac two years ago I can't live without it anymore . When I see one PC I can't help but say OMG it seems sooo odd, how could I have worked on that machine for so long?

Old November 13th, 2008, 2:58 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
I like Macs infinitely more, but I only have PC to use.

If you're thinking about switching though, take a look at some reasons and common questions here on Apple's website.

Get a Mac - Reasons
Get a Mac - FAQ
Sure to be an unimpeachably unbiased source.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 13th, 2008, 3:21 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm a mac girl, have never had a PC as a home computer. I find macs easier to use, and my ibbok has only crashed once in the 3 years I've had it...pretty good going I think

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old November 13th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I fail to see how anyone finds a real difference. Having used them both the process is the same: click your app and bash away at the keyboard until done.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old November 15th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I fail to see how anyone finds a real difference. Having used them both the process is the same: click your app and bash away at the keyboard until done.
*shrug* Meh, it all comes down to how much you use the computer and how technical you are. Since I use the computer A LOT, and not just for CoS, I get used to using certain shortcuts and applications and having certain settings and behaviors turned on/off.

On the level you're describing, there really is no difference -- use the internet, word, etc. It's fairly universal

But I'm really technical, so on the level I'm describing, it makes all the difference in the world...

I've used a PC exclusively for almost 9 years of my life, but now I have a MacBook and I it. Never switching back if I have the choice...

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:07 pm
First Year

I got a Macbook for Christmas and I love it. When I told my best friend that I had gotten one, she scowled and muttered "Macs suck" under her breath. A bit oblivious to the systems, she listed off the following reasons:
1) You can't right-click!
2) You can't screenshot!
3) You can't copy and paste!
4) We won't be able to IM anymore!
5) None of our files will be compatible!

...all of those things she listed I disproved in about 7 hours. :P
I'm not a big gamer and mostly use the computer for the internet and writing, so the sleekness of macs are prefect for me.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:49 pm
Secret Keeper

how do you right click in mac anyways? since i enjoy going to the apple store just to play with the macs and i have like no idea how to use them properly

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old March 24th, 2009, 1:09 am

Quote:
*shrug* Meh, it all comes down to how much you use the computer and how technical you are. Since I use the computer A LOT, and not just for CoS,
I use it eight hours a day at work and a few hours in my own time. The worst job was when I was using Macs which were just so ordinary in all areas except for publishing software.

Old March 24th, 2009, 11:45 am
Registered Animagus

I love Macs. I would never go back to a PC. Most of what I do is my graphic work (free-lance work and for university) and I've found that Macs are far superior in every way in that department.

Old March 31st, 2009, 4:31 pm
Third Year

For my 18th birthday, my parents have said they will replace my Dell PC with a Mac so when I go away to uni I'll have a sparkly new laptop for the whole time. I want one mainly because there are so many more creative options than on PCs ie music, film and pictures. The thing is that I will be studying for a politics degree so those are not necessary and as with most unis, the one I am hoping to study at has all PCs on campus. I have a few questions therefore regarding the practicality of having a Mac:

-Assuming I get Microsoft Office for a Mac, will the files be transferrable to a PC (ie. will I be able to write an essay on Word, put it on a USB stick and then open it on a PC and do more work on it, and vice versa)?

-I listen to all my music on Windows Media Player. Can you get this for Macs so I can just transfer all my music from my PC to my Mac? ( don't have an ipod either - Sony Walkman)

-I also use Spotify to listen to music - does this work on Macs?

-I've heard stories about certain websites (Ican't remember any particular ones) not working with Macs, or shopping sites not processing payments etc properly. Is there any truth in this?

-Will my home's wireless internet still work with a Mac (the rest of the house have PCs)?

-I've heard they never crash - true?

-Are they, in your opinion, good value for money?

-Any suggestions as to which one to get? (I want a laptop one, for uni...)

Thanks in advance for any answers you might be able to give. I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions, but I can't think of any at the moment!

Do you believe in time travel?

Last edited by skistar123; March 31st, 2009 at 4:33 pm.
Old March 31st, 2009, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by skistar123 View Post
False. All technology fails.

Old March 31st, 2009, 11:01 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
False. All technology fails.
too good to be true lol!

Old April 4th, 2009, 12:18 am
Second Year

I sort of prefer PCs... They have a few Macs at my school, and I personally think they're sort of hard to use... But that's just me.

Oh why, all the possibilities I'm sure you've heard
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old April 4th, 2009, 1:17 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skistar123 View Post
-Assuming I get Microsoft Office for a Mac, will the files be transferrable to a PC (ie. will I be able to write an essay on Word, put it on a USB stick and then open it on a PC and do more work on it, and vice versa)?
Yes, absolutely -- that's why Microsoft made it!

Quote:
-I listen to all my music on Windows Media Player. Can you get this for Macs so I can just transfer all my music from my PC to my Mac? ( don't have an ipod either - Sony Walkman)
An old version of Windows Media Player is indeed available for the Mac, but if your files are just MP3s, don't bother downloading it; QuickTime/iTunes can play those just fine.

Quote:
-I also use Spotify to listen to music - does this work on Macs?
Yes; see their download page

Quote:
-I've heard stories about certain websites (Ican't remember any particular ones) not working with Macs, or shopping sites not processing payments etc properly. Is there any truth in this?
For the most part, no. These problems are NOT part of the Mac itself, but part of Apple's Safari web browser that comes with it. These rumors are old, but to be fair every once in awhile you will run across a website that won't display quite right. But you shouldn't be concerned; Safari is fine for a day-to-day browser, though personally I use and recommend Firefox.

Quote:
-Will my home's wireless internet still work with a Mac (the rest of the house have PCs)?
Yes. As long as you have the network password (if there is one), your wireless internet will work fine.

Quote:
False. As Wab so wisely states, ALL technology fails, but just purely out of experience, my Mac has crashed only once in the year I've had it...

Quote:
-Are they, in your opinion, good value for money?
It really depends what you want it for; if you're only going to connect to the internet once a week and maybe type a term paper or two on it, get a PC -- but they really are good computers, I have been really satisfied, so I think they can be a GREAT value for the money you spend

Quote:
-Any suggestions as to which one to get? (I want a laptop one, for uni...)
Depends on your budget. Most college/university students should opt for the MacBook Pro 15 inch -- the 17 inch is REALLY a dent in your wallet, so if your budget isn't the highest, the regular MacBooks are also great, just a little less bulky and a little slower.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any answers you might be able to give. I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions, but I can't think of any at the moment!
You're welcome, hope my advice was good

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old April 4th, 2009, 1:51 am

Quote:
For the most part, no. These problems are NOT part of the Mac itself, but part of Apple's Safari web browser that comes with it. These rumors are old, but to be fair every once in awhile you will run across a website that won't display quite right. But you shouldn't be concerned; Safari is fine for a day-to-day browser, though personally I use and recommend Firefox.
It's a bit of a hangover that some shopping sites and online job applications still won't work properly unless you are using Explorer but they increasingly support multiple browsers (or at least Firefox).

Old April 4th, 2009, 6:51 pm
Third Year

Yeah the Spotify one - I sort of answered my own question when I was downloading it for my other computer!
Thanks for the advice! I think i'll probably get one - hopefully my parents have an endless budget but I doubt it lol!

Old April 5th, 2009, 4:37 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna_Luvr55 View Post
I sort of prefer PCs... They have a few Macs at my school, and I personally think they're sort of hard to use... But that's just me.
That is probably just because of experience. I grew up with Macs so I find them much easier to use. Generally I do think they're simpler, but I am probably biased. All you really need to know is that the Macintosh Hard Disk (on the desktop) is a bit like the start button on a PC, and the bar at the bottom is like the bar at the bottom of a PC. Generally shortcuts are the same (but not always) except you use the apple (aka command) key instead of control

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Burrow: Mrs Weasley's Hobbies & Crafts > Computers