Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Chuck

Old October 7th, 2007, 4:59 am
Fifth Year

Chuck

I looked and could not find a thread for this beautiful show(shame, shame )....so I decided to make one(something I never do)..I know there has only been two episodes so far...but it's just a great show that I started watching on accident..cause I changed it there for Heroes(cause that is the best show ever and if you don't watch it there is somthing odd about you..anyway) and that show was on instead of the stupid Deal or No Deal....so we watched it....which turned out to be a great thing.....so anyway..anyone here watch it yet? cause if you haven't you should.....and if you do then you should keep on watching it....

it's on at 8:00 on NBC for those that don't know

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 5:52 am
Fourth Year

Re: Chuck

Yeah, I have been watching "Chuck", too. As far as the new shows I've seen this fall, this is one of the better ones.

"Heroes" is sandwiched between this show and "Journeyman" which isn't too bad, either.

I love the "Nerd Herd" and the electronics store Chuck works at (can't recall the name just now, but it's a total take off on Best Buy)...Saving the world at $11 an hour!

The guy who plays Chuck is so perfect. He's kinda' cute, but not incredibly handsome, very geeky and utterly naive. His friend, Morgan, is a great sidekick!

The second episode was really good with Chuck not knowing who to trust between the two government agents looking after him. And with him flying the helicopter at the end...LOL....kinda' reminded me of Snakes on a Plane!

It beats "Deal or No Deal" anyday!

Old October 9th, 2007, 7:45 pm
Curse Breaker

"Chuck" is truly funny and good fun. I've liked all three episodes so far, and the future looks bright. Frankly, NBC should own Monday night--they have two All-Star shows and a pretty good sci-fi offering up against absolutely nothing.

One thing about the show--apparently Bryce not only stole Chuck's girlfriend, but framed him for cheating at an especially difficult exam (ensuring that he'd be expelled). So why did this guy turn around and send Chuck classified information?--was it a misdirect? What if he wasn't dirty--and if he wasn't (as the code that only Chuck could break on the e-mail suggests) why did Casey, a good soldier, kill him? Plus, why did Bryce trust Chuck after five years?

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 18th, 2008 at 10:25 am.
Old October 10th, 2007, 6:13 am
Fourth Year

All good questions, just adding to the suspense, and the fun.

Maybe he thought Chuck was just innocent and naive enough to not know the secrets he was entrusted with, and would not do anything to endanger the nation by enriching himself, unlike Bryce.

Chuck doing the "girl" part of the Tango was hilarious!

I don't know if the guy called "Awesome" is Chuck's sister's boyfriend or husband, but for the few bits he gets in the show, he just kills me!

I don't know if this show has a future past a first season, but I admit, I am enjoying it.

Last edited by cazzaranda; October 10th, 2007 at 6:16 am.
Old October 10th, 2007, 6:24 am
Curse Breaker

Captain Awesome is Ellie's live-in boyfriend.

If Bryce was tempted and wanted to exploit the secrets, why would he ensure that they wouldn't end up in his head (by wearing those shades) and why did he e-mail them (with serious protection) to someone he was SURE would use them only for the greater good? His behavior toward Chuck in college and the evidence against him make him look like a profiteering twerp. However, his decision to risk his life to make sure that the secrets went to someone who was good make Bryce seem like some sort of weird Robin Hood.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 18th, 2008 at 10:26 am.
Old October 11th, 2007, 4:50 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
"Chuck" is truly funny and good fun. I've liked all three episodes so far, and the future looks bright. Frankly, NBC should own Monday night--they have two All-Star shows and a pretty good sci-fi offering up against absolutely nothing.

One thing about the show--apparently Bryce not only stole Chuck's girlfriend, but framed him for cheating at an especially difficult exam (ensuring that he'd be expelled). So why did this guy turn around and send Chuck classified information?--was it a misdirect? What if he wasn't dirty--and if he wasn't (as the code that only Chuck could break on the e-mail suggests--why did Casey, a good soldier, kill him? Plus, why did Bryce trust Chuck after five years?
The whole why'd he send it to Chuck thing....I can't really answer that, but from what I took when I was watching it that maybe he didn't mean to send it to him..he was trying to send it but when he actually sent it he was dead.......though I wasn't really paying attention cause I figured it'd be one of those stupid new shows(I was actually kinda making fun of it in a way..now I love the show to death)...cause I hadn't seen any for Chuck cause during the summer I didn't watch NBC cause Heroes was the only show I liked on it. Anyhow, maybe I just wasn't paying attention enough to that part and he did mean to send it to Chuck....... jordmundt6 seems to know more about that whole thing..so I'd go with that

oh and that show thats on after Heroes...I would watch it maybe if it were not on at 10:PM that'd be me bed time....on Mondays...(cause of Hereos and now Chuck if it weren't for that I'd be in bed around 8: or 9:00 I likes my sleep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzaranda View Post

Chuck doing the "girl" part of the Tango was hilarious!
I loved that....

Old October 11th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, the tango was funny. Also, Chuck has this whole loveable loser thing going for him, but it seems like most of the women he meets are attracted to him--even the ones trying to kill him. La Ciudad (sorry, couldn't trouble myself to learn her "real" name) said she really enjoyed that tango--and she had no real reason to lie. I just find it--well, odd.

About the e-mail--I might agree that Bryce sent the e-mail to the wrong person, but he gave it protection that only Chuck could break--so it seems clear that he meant to send it to his college roommate. If he meant to send it to someone he knew was a good guy and would use the information responsibly, was he actually as nefarious as he appeared?

Old October 20th, 2007, 7:41 am
Toodles

I just recently got into this show, and I find it to be very well scripted. I love how clueless Chuck is and the battle between the CIA and the NSA is plot thickening, though they seem to be working together, I expect betrayal by the Casey. I think that Sarah will be instructed to betray Chuck, but I think that she is falling for him.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 6:07 am
Curse Breaker

Yes, it's cute and I love most of the characters (even Captain Awesome). However, Chuck's almost unconscious charm with the ladies was getting a little tough to accept--I mean the most recent episode featured the only female spy he's encountered thus far who wasn't seriously attracted to him (both La Ciudad and Sarah's old friend were charmed by him).

Old October 7th, 2008, 6:48 am
Curse Breaker

Okay, it's been almost a full year. I've waited patiently. Why is no one else posting about this lovable little show? It has humor and heart with just enough Bond and Sci-Fi references to cross genre preferences. The leads have nice chemistry, the acting is good--and some of the supporting characters are played ably by actors popular in other things (Adam Baldwin brings a different brand of gung-ho to Casey than he did to Jane on Firefly, but he's still eminently enjoyable).

Looks like my queries earlier were justified. Bryce was actually a good soldier who trusted Chuck (with good reason), and seeing them save the day through shared nerdiness last season was entertaining. I begin to wonder about Chuck's college squeeze--Bryce had an altruistic reason for kicking Chuck out of Stanford (it was the only way he could protect him from the CIA recruitment track). Might he have a similarly good explanation for the interpersonal intervention? We might have a chance to find out next week with Bryce returning for a mission with Sara. By the way--I must say that I truly adore the use of Huey Lewis music this season.

Old October 8th, 2008, 5:22 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I just started tuning into Chuck this season since it's on before Heroes. It seems like a good show. I love the actor playing Chuck--he's adorable. And after Firefly, who doesn't love Adam Baldwin?

Old October 16th, 2008, 9:24 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay--I must say that I loved quite a few bits of the Bryce return episode. I finally got a chance to see the perfect fusion of the Captain Awesome persona and Devin--truly great scene in the hospital. I liked Anna's moves but I don't know that it really adds much to where they're going. I never thought I'd say this, but they truly miss Harry Tang. Without him, there's no truly viable work nemesis--yeah he was over the top, but at least he was consistent and brought the fun.

I love how they're handling Chuck and Sarah so far this year--a lot of his insecurity in the Laroquette episode (loved the kiss and the music video entrance, by the way) was old ground. This seemed like new ground. We saw how Sarah and Bryce worked together at the peak of their romantic relationship and it was disarming that the depth of Sarah's feelings for Chuck actually make her hesitate at some crucial junctures. I liked the Sarah/Chuck conversation at the end of the episode--though I think Chuck's absolutely right about Sarah's assurances that he'll forget all about her when this is over and done. However, I think Chuck might be just as wrong about Sarah never being normal. She's comfortable in the quiet life--truly enjoys it--and enjoys sharing in the Bartowskis' lives--this might be one instance where Beatrix Kiddo could actually divest herself of her killer instincts.

I also loved the last talk between Bryce and Chuck--you see how much Bryce cares for and respects his college buddy, and I thought the Intersect Update MI: 2 shades were hilarious.

Spoiler: show
One thing though. Bryce's comments at the end of the episode show a depth of feeling and an honor that are inconsistent with seducing Chuck's college girlfriend. Is there more to the situation with Jill than we were led to believe? Bryce does dishonorable things for noble reasons

1. He carried out two attacks on the Intersect, but sent the information to Chuck--whom he trusts implicitly to always do the right thing.

2. He had Chuck expelled from Stanford--to keep him out of the CIA.

Might there be something dark about Jill that we don't know yet? Was Bryce protecting his best buddy from danger one more time? They're supposed to cast Jill this year--so we might find out.

Side note on next week's episode, "Chuck vs. the Cougars." The preview looks okay, but the ep description that NBC released--what is it, two weeks ago--is horrendous. This ep is supposed to be about Sarah having to face an old nemesis from high school, dealing with a lot of repressed teenage insecurities. Um, I beg your pardon? You'd have a very hard time convincing anyone that Sarah didn't rule her high school because of her looks and her athleticism. There doesn't seem to be much room for her to have had an "ugly duckling" transformation--although her persistent refusal to acknowledge her own looks in her dealings with Chuck might be a hidden clue to that. Remember she claimed not to understand what was so bizarre about Chuck dating a girl like her--she could have been fishing for compliments, but that's not like her.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 3rd, 2009 at 2:35 pm.
Old October 25th, 2008, 2:21 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, I love this show. Chuck vs. The Cougars carried off fairly well--although I STILL don't buy the "Sarah was an ugly duckling" thing any more than I did before. Her self-assurance when the show first started seemed to indicate that not only was she blindingly beautiful--she was fully aware of it. In fact, a lot of her undercover work seems to revolve around her using her looks--maybe some ace training that Special Agent TT had her go through when she first joined the CIA. I think it's cool they're maintaining the mystery about Sarah's true identity, and the reasons for her father's imprisonment (since it seems like it was set up as protective custody that offered plausible deniability). I'm pleased that we're going to see Chuck's ex in the near future.

Old November 11th, 2008, 3:57 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, I gave it two weeks--I really don't WANT to double-post, but this show deserves recognition. Here we go. The video game thing was a little weird, but I liked the effort to get Jeff more involved. I liked that Chuck finally got his BA and things seemed to be moving along with Sarah and the mutual respect train. They're trying to use Hale as a new/better Harry Tang--but he doesn't have the delightful fun to his meanness, he seems like an overblown Lester (weak, and cloying without any real backbone, just a weak sort of spite).

This week--It was nice to meet Jill. I like Jordana Brewster and she works okay. Still no answer as to why she shacked up with Bryce Larkin a milisecond after dumping Chuck--but I liked most of the episode (though Chuck/Jill kisses, even at their most passionate can't hold a candle to Chuck/Sarah kisses). The only thing that truly bugged me about the whole thing was how easily Chuck was able to tell Jill that there was "nothing" between him and Sarah--not even a moment's hesitation, uncertainty, or discomfort. After all the time he's been smitten with Sarah and they've saved one another's lives numerous times--well, it didn't seem like genuine Chuck to me. Next week should be interesting as well.

This week--A much better episode, highlighting what the show would look like if they had a seamless team with both of the women in Chuck's life. I missed Ellie a bit, but this was a solid episode straight up and down. I loved Chuck's travails trying to balance a "real" relationship with his work relationship with an absolute knockout like Sarah. That said, I must add that Sarah's wink in that red dress and boots outfit was--well, you could tell she'd been listening to the conversation. I loved seeing Chuck's straight nerdiness combine with his Intersect capacities and finding out that Casey was a choirboy growing up was just priceless.

I may not be behind Emmit as a nemesis yet, but I loved the Buy More plot this week (Lester and Jeff turning on each other was nice and Morgan's whole spectrum was entertaining. Additionally, he's begun to look more scraggly again. In the first few episodes, he looked entirely too neat to match his character from last year). The reveal on Jill was nice and sets us up for a LOT of fun next week--Chuck's pain, Jill's true colors (more confirmation that Bryce Larkin is, indeed, a good friend) and the wrath of Sarah. Delicious.

Last edited by jordmundt6; November 19th, 2008 at 1:06 am.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 2:33 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, Chuck is back from hiatus and it's time for me to start posting again.

I liked the episode where Chuck had to make his choice between Sarah and Jill (including his scene practicing a "cover kiss" with Sarah). Gary Cole's guest spot was entertaining as well. However, in spite of all the Die Hard references, the Christmas episode didn't do much for me until the end. I liked seeing Sarah make that choice, although the effect on Chuck is going to throw a somewhat annoying snag into the rest of the season.

I've never been able to watch 3-D so all that was was a bunch of annoying blurring for me--but the episode was entertaining in spots. I liked Chuck's nightmare and his talk with the "rock star" about his people being "the best." I think we're well set up for the second half of the season although I don't particularly like the idea of Chuck competing directly with House. I've got no problem with Fringe since I think it's JJ Abrams' worst idea.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 22nd, 2009 at 2:14 pm.
Old February 6th, 2009, 5:10 am
Seventh Year

It's a shame this thread doesn't get more traffic, and that's a good indicator of why NBC should have aired Chuck vs. the Third Dimension after the Super Bowl instead. Much as I love "The Office" and much as I enjoyed that show's Stress Relief episode, "Chuck" needed the potential new viewers more, plus hey, you're already using those 3D glasses for the Monsters vs. Aliens ad, right?

Anyway, this is a great show; there really is something for everyone - action, comedy, romance, suspense, and a fantastic cast (they're getting more and more good guest stars too, like Gary Cole, John Larroquette, and Dominic Monaghan). I think this season has done a fine job of making Chuck just a little bit more adept at this spy thing without forgetting who he is (the last episode with him reacting to seeing Sarah kill the Fulcrum agent is a good example), as well as fleshing out parts of his past that needed to be explored (the Traitor Jill arc); basically, it's opened things up just the way a second season should. As for this Monday's 3D stunt, well, I watched in 2D and thought it was still an enjoyable episode. My favorite moment in it - and this is really minor - is Zachary Levi's Aussie-accented reading of No - if you saw the Comic-Con panel from last summer, you know that that was his imitation of Yvonne Strahovski pronunciation of the word.

Old February 6th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Curse Breaker

I enjoyed the ep--though I found it blurry (I never watch in 3-D), but I missed his Aussie "NO!" Strange. I'm always amazed at the way Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits can come to America and totally erase their accents for an American TV audience, but the second they're out of character, the accent is back and, sometimes, quite thick. Yvonne is just the latest example. Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, and Mel Gibson are big screen examples, and Hugh Laurie's portrayal of House is another great TV example--but my first real shock about this came in listening to interviews by Lucy Lawless.

And Yes, Chuck could have used the Super Bowl bump. If NBC had been smart about it, they could have given Chuck a new fanbase with an impressive episode--a smaller scale of the Super Bowl relaunch of Alias in '03 ater the Bucs totaled the Raiders.

Old February 17th, 2009, 4:32 pm
Curse Breaker

It's been a little less than two weeks since my last post, but with the return of Chuck and a nice Valentine's Day episode, I thought this deserved a new post.

They left this episode in its spot in the rotation, so we get to see Morgan and Anna's reconciliation a little late--I'm not that fussed, to be honest. The Chuckleheads had a bare bones B plot this week (though we did see Big Mike again), and it was just enough to be enjoyable without dragging. Unfortunately, no Captain Awesome, but you can't have everything.

I liked seeing the Carmichaels enjoy pretending to be married. I also liked the Andy Richter stunt-casting. Jen Mac was there to be Jen Mac, so that was okay. Casey was fun, even though I could have stood with a better line than "somebody call cable repair?" when he played Major Interruptus after the Evil Intersect brain drain. I like how Chuck is growing in composure and capacity as a spy while still being Chuck. He went from freaked out to Robot to FakeRobot seamlessly and believably. One side note. If Fulcrum is going to continue to be the Evil Agency, we're going to have to at least get a hint of a Blofeldt someplace--they can't run this the way the Bond people ran Quantum of Solace.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 17th, 2009 at 5:39 pm.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 8:11 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, I gave it two weeks. The Morgan/Anna reunion episode was pretty good...not my favorite, but pretty good. I even was able to tolerate most of the Jeffster B-plot. I liked the interpersonal stuff between Chuck and Sarah, even the fact that we finally found a look that doesn't suit Yvonne, the grunge-rock chick thing. All of it worked and flowed together pretty well.

The most recent episode--the Valentine's Day fallout, was quite aggravating. First of all, who took a vote and decided the traditional James Bond character couldn't be updated but should have oceans of skeevy creepiness poured on it. It's making all our espionage thrillers homogenized Bourne knockoffs. No fun, no wit, and aside from the Bourne series itself, no soul. Anyway--all this to say that I really dislike the British agent who's sort of a modern British form of John Laroquette's character. Underneath it all, he is brave and he might actually be a good guy but the layers of vanity and misogyny are truly annoying.

The whole second breakup storyline being kicked off by Ellie was also infuriating. Chuck's set to go with "It'll work itself out." "No, you MUST move FORWARD!" Then, he breaks up with her--"NO! Don't do that! That's stupid!" Well excuse us, Miss Well-Meaning Intrusive Sibling! Make up your mind! Or better yet, go back to supporting decisions your brother makes on his own!

The intentional fainting thing was a little funny, as was Yvonne breaking into a little of her Aussie accent in the scene. However, that was quite a lot of pain for very little payoff. The Jeff and Lester plot was insulting and a waste of time (and models). The only thing remotely redeemable about that was Casey humiliating the pair of them. It's truly sad when the jokes about Morgan's sleeping habits and his desperation to get away from Big Mike and Bolognia are the high watermark of the episode.

Last edited by jordmundt6; March 4th, 2009 at 7:33 pm.
Old March 9th, 2009, 1:56 am
Fifth Year

I don't actually watch this show all the time now, if I am bored waiting for Heroes and there is nothing else on, I'll watch it, but hey reading this has helped me know what is going on so when I do watch it, I am not to confused and the whole Sarah, chuck thing which is one of the reasons I get so annoyed...it is like Ross and Rachel....

I think they need to get them together and have them STAY together...maybe even get married, it'd help the writers and it'd save the show from death!
And I get tried of the same thing, doesn't the idea of, "protecting Chuck" get old? I think they should send him to a place to get trained....it'd be funny...and have Casey and Sarah be like his main trainers....

and I love Casey, I forget he is in Firefly, he was so stupid in that show and Serenity...lol...and one of the last ones I watched was Casey happy that Chuck wasn't gunna be with them on there next mission then Chuck felt left out s he runs and jumps in the car and he gets all mad

He also always seems to pop out of no where!

I still love the show, but they really need to do something other then break up Chuck and Sarah every other episode...

I think that Morgan [which I believe he hasn't found out yet] should find out that Chuck kinda works for the CIA and NSA....
And I had forgotten about Dominic Monaghan being in one..that was funny...

Last edited by deathplce4myhed; March 9th, 2009 at 2:00 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television