Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

A Song of Ice and Fire



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:23 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
A Song of Ice and Fire

A Song of Ice and Fire, short ASoIaF , is a fantasy series by George R.R. Martin and one of the best I ever read. So far four parts out of seven have been published:

A Game of Thrones (1996)
A Clash of Kings (1998)
A Storm of Swords (2000)
A Feast for Crows (2005)

There are three more to come. I found a non-spoilerish summary of A Game of Thrones:

westeros.orgThe story starts with a frightening prologue that tells us who the truest enemies are, and then turns suddenly to the castle of Winterfell from which the Starks rule the North for King Robert on his Iron Throne far to the south. A man is executed and on that bloody day direwolf pups are found next to the dead body of a huge direwolf slain by a broken antler in her neck. There just happens to be one for every son and daughter of Lord Eddard Stark, including his ******* Jon Snow, and what that strange coincidence can mean is a mystery. On that same day, more blood when news arrives that Lord Eddardís childhood fosterer and friend Jon Arryn, the man who had rebelled against a king to protect him and his best friend Robert and became Robertís Hand, has died. Slowly the history is unveiled, piece-by-piece like a jigsaw puzzle forming into place haphazardly, and layers of events are formed that mold the lives of all the characters.

What follows is a tumult surrounded by the distant tremor of fear that comes when we hear the Stark motto, "Winter is Coming". Politics, murders, conspiracies. Tournaments, love, hatred. War, battle, trials. Disaster and victory. And thatís not the half of it, for a parallel but separate storyline follows Daenerys Targaryen, Stormborn, the last daughter of the dragonkings who had ruled the Seven Kingdoms for three hundred years. Wed to a barbarian khal with an army of 40,000 nomadic warriors, she goes from childhood to adulthood in a harrowing journey that follows her progression further and further from the things she knew.


What I like the most about this series is Martin's love for details and his beautiful style. His characters are credible and more-dimensional and the story has so many layers that there is a lot to discuss. Be warned though, ASoIaF is not written for children. The story contains violence, swearing and several adult themes.

Let's start with something easy.
  • What is your favourite character? Your favourite house?
  • What do you like about ASoIaF?
  • Which mystery do you want to see solved in the upcoming book?
  • Who will die and who will live?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old October 8th, 2007, 3:01 am
HouseStark  Male.gif HouseStark is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4573 days
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 327
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

You can probably tell my favorite house from my name. My Favorite character is probably Jon, although I really really like Tyrion and Littlefinger, they really control alot of the events in the book.

Favorite element of the book is definitely the character development and how every character has flaws and ulterior motives. Also the fact that there is no stereotypical hero or anti-hero. The line between good and evil changes so often you can't establish who is which, they're just characters in a larger universe that are all within a single gray area. All the characters are very human as well, none of them are without their vices, no matter how honorable they appear.

I really want one of the POV characters to meet and interact with Dany at some point in the next book, I'm pretty sure Tyrion will, as one of the samples GRRM posted was of Tyrion meeting that guy that engaged Dany to Khal Drogo. Dany's sections have seemed really boring to me because while all the other characters interact, she's just alone, the only interraction we see is her and the exiled Knights from the Seven Kingdoms.

I see Cersei or Jaime, Littlefinger, Victarion Greyjoy, and either Sansa or Arya dying in the next two books.

And one prediction, Jon Snow is the child of Lianna and Prince Rhaegar, and Ned promised Lianna to take care of him, because she died in childbirth, not from illness or violence or whatever they said.


__________________
All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:46 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
You can probably tell my favorite house from my name. My Favorite character is probably Jon, although I really really like Tyrion and Littlefinger, they really control alot of the events in the book.

Favorite element of the book is definitely the character development and how every character has flaws and ulterior motives. Also the fact that there is no stereotypical hero or anti-hero. The line between good and evil changes so often you can't establish who is which, they're just characters in a larger universe that are all within a single gray area. All the characters are very human as well, none of them are without their vices, no matter how honorable they appear.

I really want one of the POV characters to meet and interact with Dany at some point in the next book, I'm pretty sure Tyrion will, as one of the samples GRRM posted was of Tyrion meeting that guy that engaged Dany to Khal Drogo. Dany's sections have seemed really boring to me because while all the other characters interact, she's just alone, the only interraction we see is her and the exiled Knights from the Seven Kingdoms.

I see Cersei or Jaime, Littlefinger, Victarion Greyjoy, and either Sansa or Arya dying in the next two books.

And one prediction, Jon Snow is the child of Lianna and Prince Rhaegar, and Ned promised Lianna to take care of him, because she died in childbirth, not from illness or violence or whatever they said.
I love Jon, too. He has grown so much since he arrived at the wall. I agree with you that there is more to Jon's heritage than meets the eye. It is very suspicious how Ned never talked about his mother and there was a lot of blood mentioned in the scene, in which his Lyanna's death is described. It would also throw another light on the meaning of the direwolf pups.

I really hope that Martin leaves Jamie alive, now that he's become truly interesting, but a part of me believes that Jamie and Cercei will die together or at the same time.

The most annoying character is Sansa and I really hope that she won't be the queen of the prophecy and dies sooner rather than later.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:20 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6317 days
Posts: 9,435
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

[Rant on]

I'm getting tired of his ****.

Does Martin write well? Sure, no doubt about it.

To me, a mark of a good author is one who engages the reader emotionally...makes an emotional connection between the characters written and the reader.

George R.R. Martin does this damn well. (Weis and Hickman did this even better in their Dragonlance books)

Martin make one angry for what happens in the books, and then tells you that you can't do a thing about it.
He created a wide cast of complex characters...nice.

Spoiler: show
The heroes that drew one into the story initially have mostly died. and when they did, it was in cruel despicable fashion. This would mark every freaking character in these books that I, the reader, gave a damn about. After Robb Stark died, I said screw it. There were only two "rulers" who seemed to be learning how to truly rule in my opinion, Robb Stark and Daenerys. (who is out in left field half a world away.)

Sure, reading Jaime Lannister seeing himself through the eyes of "that stupid ugly cow" Brienne, the Maid of Tarth, and realizing that she above all those referring to themselves as knights was the genuine article and comes to value this new perspective immensely, was a good read.

And then seeing him defend her honor towards the end of this latest book when one of his men makes cutting remarks about her was nice...and then ruined when she apparently dies in typical cruel fashion. (For a talented writer that was an awkward cliffhanger.)

If I want to read of things that are going to **** me off and can't do anything about, I can read history tracts on torture and abuse. Which is what I feel as if I have been reading, abused.
I was looking for more emotional payback here. It's the fourth book and I have not gotten it. So to hell with this series for now.
When the next book comes out I won't be buying it. At best I'll scan through it at the bookstore.

I thoroughly enjoyed the anthologies he headed, the Wildcard Series (needed to be read in order), which had a point that made you angry but it was because of something you knew about in history anyway. (The McCarthy hearings)

I read fantasy for entertainment and to set my imagination on fire. (And a Song of Ice and Fire has become less and less entertaining with every chapter.)
Maybe a spoiler or not...
Spoiler: show
Our heroes dug their graves simply by being good, just and honorable. (Which lends the unfortunate parallel to real-life history weight.)

I'll stick to fantasy where good eventually triumphs. I'll stick to stories where evil eventually is redeemed (which is even better. Being a tad cynical, I tend to see both of these ideas as very much fantasy and less realistic)
I like the way people view the supposed "realism" however...
How old is Rickon? (5yrs?) How old is Arya? (8-10?) Bran? (less than 12? and completely paralyzed from the waist down)
Consider reality when looking at their ages and all that which is supposedly endured by children.
Spoiler: show
Sansa is how old before repeatedly beaten and psychologically tortured by Joffrey and his knights? (13 going on 14?) Did Robb live to a ripe young age of 17?
And it seems that Martin regrets creating the character of Rickon, as he isn't even in the books after the first half of the first book. Another admittedly rare point of poor writing from Martin.


But then I guess this is where the "fantasy" part comes in.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:44 pm
HouseStark  Male.gif HouseStark is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4573 days
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 327
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Rickon is too young to be significant, he might become more so if that wildling chick becomes a POV character, but I dunno if that will happen. And you have to understand when you read Martin, no character is bulletproof, in fact, the more bulletproof they appear probably makes them more likely to die.

And I really doubt Sansa will be the queen of destiny, the logical ending is Dany somehow meeting Jon and them unifying their armies against "The Dark force beyond the Wall", but knowing Martin, that won't happen. Sansa is going to be important because
Spoiler: show
of what Littlefinger did for her. She's going to marry the Heir to the Veil and unite the Stark and Arryn houses. That alliance should be a major player in the next few books, because they will draw some of the Northmen that disbanded at the Red Wedding, as well as all of the previously untapped strength of the Vale.


__________________
All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:24 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
If I want to read of things that are going to **** me off and can't do anything about, I can read history tracts on torture and abuse. Which is what I feel as if I have been reading, abused.
I was looking for more emotional payback here. It's the fourth book and I have not gotten it. So to hell with this series for now.
When the next book comes out I won't be buying it. At best I'll scan through it at the bookstore.
I'm sorry that you feel this way but I find his ruthlessness refreshing. The HP universe was pretty predictable, in that it was very conventional. I always expected Harry to survive and I knew that good would triumph over bad. I like that Martin leaves me more clueless and nervous. His baddies are actually clever and powerful not only by name. They have resources and are not afraid to use them. I also love that there are so many grey characters that could turn out friends or foes and are often both.

Quote:
Spoiler: show
Our heroes dug their graves simply by being good, just and honorable. (Which lends the unfortunate parallel to real-life history weight.)
But I always had the impression that this is what he strives for. Martin loves details like coats of arms, genealogy and rules of succession. I love how he introduced credible and clever intrigues and characters like Littlefinger who know how to play the game. Also, not only the heroes lose due to their honour and sincerity. The villains trip over blind ambition and overestimation of their own cunning.

I realise that this is not for everyone and I understand why you would dislike this concept.

Quote:
Being a tad cynical, I tend to see both of these ideas as very much fantasy and less realistic)
I like the way people view the supposed "realism" however...
How old is Rickon? (5yrs?) How old is Arya? (8-10?) Bran? (less than 12? and completely paralyzed from the waist down)
Consider reality when looking at their ages and all that which is supposedly endured by children.
I don't think it is completely unrealistic. The world is different from our own and closer to medieval times. There is also a war going on. Rob and Bran talk repeatedly about how they are almost men grown, which means that adulthood comes early in Martin's universe. And Arya is a good example of what war does to children. She would have had a peaceful childhood if her father had not become Hand but she is thrown into a situation where only the toughest survive. One can see the same toughness in child soldiers in our world. Reading about children being so familiar with death and killing is uncomfortable but certainly not something Martin came up with.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 9th, 2007, 3:17 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6317 days
Posts: 9,435
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I'm sorry that you feel this way but I find his ruthlessness refreshing. The HP universe was pretty predictable, in that it was very conventional. I always expected Harry to survive and I knew that good would triumph over bad. I like that Martin leaves me more clueless and nervous. His baddies are actually clever and powerful not only by name. They have resources and are not afraid to use them. I also love that there are so many grey characters that could turn out friends or foes and are often both.
There are loads of fantasy out there that have similar plot points. (The aforementioned Dragonlance series by Weis nad Hickman was just one example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I don't think it is completely unrealistic. The world is different from our own and closer to medieval times. There is also a war going on. Rob and Bran talk repeatedly about how they are almost men grown, which means that adulthood comes early in Martin's universe. And Arya is a good example of what war does to children.
That was my point. Half of those children should be dead by now in the first book. (And Sansa still a virgin? That was reality?)
Martin attempted to play both sides of the fence of reality and fantasy and failed miserably to me.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 11th, 2007, 3:22 am
baseballblondie's Avatar
baseballblondie  Female.gif baseballblondie is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5092 days
Location: between the pages of a book
Age: 41
Posts: 489
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I love these books! I cannot wait for Dance With Dragons.


__________________
~Forever~
Dawn

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 11th, 2007, 8:00 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
Rickon is too young to be significant, he might become more so if that wildling chick becomes a POV character, but I dunno if that will happen. And you have to understand when you read Martin, no character is bulletproof, in fact, the more bulletproof they appear probably makes them more likely to die.
That's what I love about the series. The suspense is killing me.

Quote:
And I really doubt Sansa will be the queen of destiny, the logical ending is Dany somehow meeting Jon and them unifying their armies against "The Dark force beyond the Wall", but knowing Martin, that won't happen.
Exactly. One knows how things are supposed to develop and what is the logical thing to happen but Martin will probably kill off an important character one counted on and then everything is back to square one.


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 19th, 2007, 2:50 am
JadeOwl  Female.gif JadeOwl is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4416 days
Posts: 16
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I've pretty much not read much of this thread because I'm only just starting the third book and I've learned to be careful of little spoilers sneaking out!

Anyway,
* What is your favourite character? Your favourite house? Thus far, and I've learned to not get too attached to anyone, I would have to say that I'm partial to House Stark (big shock there), but also to Lannister. For favourite character, I would have to say that it's a toss-up between Arya and Jon.
* What do you like about ASoIaF? Wow, this series is complex! At first I found myself getting a bit lost with all of the story lines, but I think it was just from trying to adapt to Martin's writing style. While it also bothers me, I have to admit that I like the fact that he is not afraid to kill off well-liked characters. That's TRULY rare I think, as it doesn't happen in very many series, period.
* Which mystery do you want to see solved in the upcoming book? Ah... I'm not far enough in the books to make a good call about this year! Perhaps trying to figure out what exactly the Wildlings are up to? And that Eagle... Kinda creepy.
* Who will die and who will live? Not even going to try tackling this one! LOL. Everyone is at risk of dying in this series! No one is safe.


__________________
.:Jade:.
.:Loony FTW!:.
.:Join us at Revelio.net!:.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 19th, 2007, 4:27 am
HouseStark  Male.gif HouseStark is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4573 days
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 327
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeOwl View Post
I've pretty much not read much of this thread because I'm only just starting the third book and I've learned to be careful of little spoilers sneaking out!

Anyway,
* What is your favourite character? Your favourite house? Thus far, and I've learned to not get too attached to anyone, I would have to say that I'm partial to House Stark (big shock there), but also to Lannister. For favourite character, I would have to say that it's a toss-up between Arya and Jon.
* What do you like about ASoIaF? Wow, this series is complex! At first I found myself getting a bit lost with all of the story lines, but I think it was just from trying to adapt to Martin's writing style. While it also bothers me, I have to admit that I like the fact that he is not afraid to kill off well-liked characters. That's TRULY rare I think, as it doesn't happen in very many series, period.
* Which mystery do you want to see solved in the upcoming book? Ah... I'm not far enough in the books to make a good call about this year! Perhaps trying to figure out what exactly the Wildlings are up to? And that Eagle... Kinda creepy.
* Who will die and who will live? Not even going to try tackling this one! LOL. Everyone is at risk of dying in this series! No one is safe.
You do get to find out about the Wildlings in uhh I think it's Storm of Swords.


__________________
All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:22 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I read this on another board and it made me wonder what you guys think. Is it possible that Sansa will become a more popular figure in the upcoming book? They compared her to Jamie and that we only learned to like him in later books. However, I think that this is rather different, since we never had chapters from his perspective before. We have been reading Sansa's inner thoughts from the beginning and she just isn't a very bright person and quite superficial.


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 5th, 2007, 5:52 am
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4876 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I've been a fan of George R.R. Martin's since the mid-70's, when he won his first Hugo and Nebula (not because he won them, but because he earned them). Actually I was so taken by some of his stories (a lot of them have disappeared from sight and print, which is a pity) that I wrote him,* we became friends, and I even translated two of his short stories collections into French, published by J'ai Lu/Gallimard in France. We corresponded for years, met each other's friends (he used some of my friends' names in some books), I always told him my opinion on what he was writing. Then, as happens in life, we drifted apart.

* Nobody writes about the pain and bewilderment of lost love like George. In the period I mention, he was going through a rough time in his romantic life, and so was I, so I guess it explains our affinity.

I started "Song of Ice and Fire" with great enthusiasm. I loved the first two, got tired of things dragging out in book three, not to mention take a definite turn into the horror genre (which I don't like) and didn't even bother with A Feast for Crows. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Yes I agree House Stark is the best and most important to the plot, they and Dani's family (can't remember their name now) and their dragons, but it's meant to be. The story is mostly told from the point of view of one of the kids, who end up separated by the wars and other events to allow the reader to see every side of the wars. I keep hoping at least two of them will find each other again, and that Sansa will find another direwolf. Also of course that Robb's not really dead (or that he won't be looking as horrible as his mother if he is "undead"). I do like Jon a lot.

But, to me, the saga became too drawn-out and complicated (George's explanation being that the characters and story took a life of their own, which does happen of course) and I lost stamina and interest.

However, once everyone has read the latest and it's not a spoiler for anyone else, could someone fill me in on what's been happening? I mean, in a paragraph or two, not in 800 pages? Thank you.

If you don't want to do it in public, send me an owl. Thanks again.

Quote:
Who will die and who will live? Not even going to try tackling this one! LOL. Everyone is at risk of dying in this series! No one is safe.
But since the dead are not really dead anyway, does it really matter, apart from the fact that they lose their looks?



Last edited by FleurduJardin; November 6th, 2007 at 5:15 am. Reason: Added sentence
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 6th, 2007, 6:00 am
HouseStark  Male.gif HouseStark is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4573 days
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 327
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Spoiler: show
Robb really died. His mom only came back because that rogue Knight revived her at the cost of his own life


__________________
All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:01 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
But since the dead are not really dead anyway, does it really matter, apart from the fact that they lose their looks?
In my opinion it is not quite fair to say that this is true for every character.

Spoiler: show
Ned is definitely dead and so are the Baratheon brothers. I don't see Rob Stark and Tywin Lannister returning from the dead any time soon either.


So while some character were resurrected by magic I don't think that this is a pattern and every dead main characters will pull a Gandalf.


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 17th, 2007, 4:08 am
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4876 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

I was licking my lips when I saw "spoilers", but they appear blank, so that's no help!! (Is there any way to read what's in those blank rectangles?)

As I said before, I gave up in the middle of "A Storm of Swords" when it became obvious that the story would be dragging on and on (which each book about 800 pages), and turn more and more into horror.

I can't remember exactly where I stopped reading the book sequentially, but skimmed through chapters then peeked at the end. I think it was when Sansa was married off to Tyron (sp?) and Arya was off in the wilderness. I also remember Robb marrying for love and earning the enmity of the powerful family where he was intended to wed.

I never even considered buying A Feast for Crows so have no idea what happened there. Maybe I'll go have a look on Amazon.

Is A Dance of Dragons supposed to be the last book? At the start, it was supposed to be the third and last book, before the intended trilogy became a tetralogy, then a pentalogy then, who knows...

Maybe I should start over again, from A Game of Thrones on. But I have so much on my plate to read already, I just can't face it.

So could someone be very kind and tell me what happens to Sansa? The last I saw of her was when she was boarding a ship northbound. Though she is my least favorite among the Stark children, I got interested in her fate, she didn't have a very good life, and she's still so young.

What became of Arya and - can't remember his name, the real blood-son of the king, the illegitimate one? Last I saw, they were together in some sort of band, with Arya trying to make her way north to find Jon.

For me too, Jon is a favorite. So, did he become Lord Commander (or whatever the title was) of the army (Black Watch?) manning the Wall?

Since I haven't read A Feast for Crows, I don't know about the prophecy about a Queen. What is it about? And, just as a guess, I doubt that queen will be Sansa, it's more likely to be Dany.

Dany and Jon... Now that's an interesting thought. Yes, I'd be interested in following that particular plotline.

Moriath: Yes, I know not every character will pull a Gandalf, but I do think many dead do come back. There was this army commander who was obviously a living dead. Then (having skipped how that happened) I saw that Lady Stark (I forget her first name, something like Caitlin?) had been killed and "resurrected" (sort of).

In the very prologue of the series, in A Game of Thrones, George introduces the idea of the living dead with Ser Someone-or-other and his troops going into the forest beyond the wall and encountering some of them. My recollection is hazy, after all I read that book about 10 years ago.


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 17th, 2007, 6:30 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 6317 days
Posts: 9,435
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I was licking my lips when I saw "spoilers", but they appear blank, so that's no help!! (Is there any way to read what's in those blank rectangles?)
Depress the left mouse button and highlight the area.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)

Last edited by Midnightsfire; November 17th, 2007 at 6:34 am.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 17th, 2007, 9:48 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I was licking my lips when I saw "spoilers", but they appear blank, so that's no help!! (Is there any way to read what's in those blank rectangles?)
It's supposed to be white, so that everyone who does not want to read these spoilers can scroll down. As Midnightsfire wrote, highlight the box and the text will appear.

Quote:
Is A Dance of Dragons supposed to be the last book? At the start, it was supposed to be the third and last book, before the intended trilogy became a tetralogy, then a pentalogy then, who knows...
Nope, as I stated in the opening posts there are three more books to come. This means Dance of Dragons and two further books.

Quote:
So could someone be very kind and tell me what happens to Sansa? The last I saw of her was when she was boarding a ship northbound. Though she is my least favorite among the Stark children, I got interested in her fate, she didn't have a very good life, and she's still so young.
You really want to know about Sansa? I'd rather forget about her completely. Nothing overly exciting happened to her. She is with Littlefinger in the Vale.
Quote:
What became of Arya and - can't remember his name, the real blood-son of the king, the illegitimate one? Last I saw, they were together in some sort of band, with Arya trying to make her way north to find Jon.
Now Arya's fate is more interesting. She is on her way to leave her old identity behind and become someone very scary. She did not make it to the Wall and met the Hound on the way.
Quote:
For me too, Jon is a favorite. So, did he become Lord Commander (or whatever the title was) of the army (Black Watch?) manning the Wall?
As a matter of fact, he did.
Quote:
Since I haven't read A Feast for Crows, I don't know about the prophecy about a Queen. What is it about? And, just as a guess, I doubt that queen will be Sansa, it's more likely to be Dany.
We don't know yet. Martin can be so twisted.

Quote:
Moriath: Yes, I know not every character will pull a Gandalf, but I do think many dead do come back. There was this army commander who was obviously a living dead. Then (having skipped how that happened) I saw that Lady Stark (I forget her first name, something like Caitlin?) had been killed and "resurrected" (sort of).
But they are both connected to the red priest. And they are not alive. They go and order people around but they are entirely dependent on the red priest.

Quote:
In the very prologue of the series, in A Game of Thrones, George introduces the idea of the living dead with Ser Someone-or-other and his troops going into the forest beyond the wall and encountering some of them. My recollection is hazy, after all I read that book about 10 years ago.
The Others are not human. They are the threat from beyond the Wall.


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 17th, 2007, 7:03 pm
FleurduJardin  Female.gif FleurduJardin is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4876 days
Location: Shuttling between Europe & US
Posts: 1,607
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Thank you so much, Midnight Fire and Moriath. I managed to read the spoilers - actually, I saw that they appear in the e-mail messages I get when there's a response, but then I don't get e-mail notifications for every response, so this is a big help.

Moriath, this is to thank you - sorry to post it in the Ice and Fire thread, but it's in response to your avatar and signature. I too, love The Princess Bride. - or, to stay on thread, let's pretend these are Jaime and Cersei.



Back to GRRM: That's one of the things I don't like about his later writings, the good guys and gals almost always die, usually an unpleasant death.

Having stopped mid-third book, I have no idea what the Vale and the Veil are.

I'm disappointed about Arya. As to Sansa, oh well, **shrug**. I'm sure Rickon will come back to be an important player. He has "the Third Eye", remember? And we need another of the Stark kids now that Robb is dead (sniffle sniffle, I liked him a lot).

The characters being so young at the start, I expect they will grow up (those who don't die of course) in the course of the series. The adults will mature, like Jaime did. I kind of like him, he's not as bad as his sister/lover Cersei. But due to non-reading, I missed his later good deeds.

Do y' all think we'll eventually find out who Jon's mother was? My guess would be someone of royal blood from Dany's family (I forget most names now, apart from Stark, Lannister and Baratheon.)

You guys do make me want to go back and read, and catch up - but I already have a full reading list, plus I'm trying to write a piece of Harry Potter fan fic. Maybe I'll wait until the whole series is out. By that time, I'll be old and retired and will have more time - maybe.

Anyway, thanks. I'll be monitoring this thread to follow up on this series.

Is anyone writing fan fic on that, do you know?

[Addendum] Oh, about the Others. OK, so they're the non-human Undead and the enemy. But maybe some Undead are good and on "our" side? I don't remember who the Red Priest is, he must have been introduced in the part of the book that I skipped.

I still hazily remember a commander on the "good" side, who I thought was one of the Undead. Appearing out of nowhere to save the day at times. I'd try to look him up, but my Ice and Fire books are an ocean away from me at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeOwl
While it also bothers me, I have to admit that I like the fact that he is not afraid to kill off well-liked characters. That's TRULY rare I think, as it doesn't happen in very many series, period.
Well, JKR did kill off Cedric and Sirius mid-way through the HP series. I never got over Cedric's death, which is why I'm devouring the fan fics where he lives on. I recommend Minisinoo's "Finding Himself" and the sequels, they are parallel canons of the story from OotP on. Since this is not the thread for it, anyone interested, send me an owl.



Last edited by FleurduJardin; November 18th, 2007 at 12:20 am.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:15 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5278 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
He has "the Third Eye", remember? And we need another of the Stark kids now that Robb is dead (sniffle sniffle, I liked him a lot).
It's Bran who was thrown off the roof by Jaimie Lannister and who developed this special connexion with the raven in his dreams. Rickon's role is a complete mystery to me.

Quote:
Do y' all think we'll eventually find out who Jon's mother was? My guess would be someone of royal blook from Dany's family (I forget most names now, apart from Stark, Lannister and Baratheon.)
There is lots of speculation about Jon. His mother may have been Ned's sister and his father Rhaegar Targaryen, Dany's older brother.

Quote:
You guys do make me want to go back and read, and catch up - but I already have a full reading list, plus I'm trying to write a piece of Harry Potter fan fic. Maybe I'll wait until the whole series is out. By that time, I'll be old and retired and will have more time - maybe.
But it's totally worth it.
Quote:
Is anyone writing fan fic on that, do you know?
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I should read some ASoIaF fanfiction myself.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:58 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.