Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Department of Mysteries

Old June 23rd, 2003, 3:33 pm
First Year

Department of Mysteries

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

So, I'm wondering if the we are supposed to be asking ourselves about the room devoted in the Dept. of Mysteries that contains information on the power that Harry has that Voldemort does not?

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 11:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2003, 3:36 pm
First Year

its gotta be love :/

Old June 23rd, 2003, 3:38 pm
First Year

Yeah, apparently Harry has the power of love on his side - something Voldemort will never have.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 3:49 pm
First Year

Thats was my thought. I wasn't 100% that it had been resolved... but I think it has been.

Old June 24th, 2003, 6:05 am
Professor Emeritus

Yes, I agree that the room is about love-- the kind of sacrificial love that made it possible for Lily to save Harry, and that Harry would have been willing to give for Sirius. Dumbledore says that Harry has "heart"-- something that's missing in Voldemort's powers. The Dark Lord doesn't have the power to love.

Old June 24th, 2003, 9:11 am
Prefect Emeritus

The room of doors -- the door left unexplored?

On p. 775-774 (American version), in the Department of Mysteries, after Harry and company have just come back from the "arch" room into the original room full doors, Harry tries opening a new, random door, but can't get it to open by force. Hermione tries using Alohomora on the door, but that doesn't work either. Harry even uses Sirius's knife on the door:

Quote:
"Sirius's knife!" said Harry, and he pulled it out from inside his robes and slid it into the crack between the door and the wall. The others all watched eagerly as he ran it from top to bottom, withdrew it, and then flung his shoulder again at the door. It remained as firmly shut as ever. What was more, when Harry looked down at the knife, he saw that the blade had melted.
Now, we know that JKR often places seemingly minor details in her books that will come up later on. I'm almost certain this is one of those things.

This door has obviously been placed under extremely advanced locking charms. When I first saw this, I thought, "this room is important." I took note of it, and waited for something else to explain it. And, lo and behold, Dumbledore mentions such a room later on. Check out the bottom of page 843, American version.

Quote:
"There is a room in the Department of Mysteries," interrupted Dumbledore, "that is kept locked at all times. It contains a force that is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than forces of nature. It is also, perhaps, the most mysterious of the many subjects for study that reside there.
I feel certain that this room, "kept locked at all times," is the one described earlier. I know this may not reveal much, but it's a detail that some might not have noticed.

(by the way -- This is probably being discussed elsewhere, but as I'm tired and don't want to look for it, I'll just hope that someone has the sense to merge this if that turns out to be the case.)

Old June 24th, 2003, 9:14 am
Superman

I'd say that the room mentioned by Dumbledore is most certainly the one mentioned earlier.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old June 24th, 2003, 9:27 am
First Year

Very, very interesting. I definitely thought there was something important behind that door when the group failed to enter, but I somehow overlooked what Dumbledore said later on. From Dumbledore's description, it sounds like something Voldemort would love to get a hold of, and perhaps something that Harry could use to his advantage. If, that is, anyone could ever bend whatever power it is to their will. From the sounds of it, that seems impossible, but I can't help but feel that it should play a significant role later in the series.

Good catch, MagpieOnaga.

Old June 24th, 2003, 9:30 am
Superman

I don't think Voldemort wants to get a hold of, as I understood it what's inside the door is something that Harry already has and it's what makes Harry different than Voldemort and the reason why Voldemort could not possess Harry. I think Voldemort wants to steer clear of what's behind that door.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:00 am
Fifth Year

Yes that room was the one Dumbledore was speaking of

Check out my podcast: www.myspace.com/threewisemenshow
or go to itunes and search for "three wise men"
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:04 am
Fifth Year

"All you need is love"
John Lennon

Great man, shot in the back, sad story

Check out my podcast: www.myspace.com/threewisemenshow
or go to itunes and search for "three wise men"
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:50 am
First Year

Anybody's guesses on what is inside that door?

Old June 28th, 2003, 10:51 am
Fourth Year

Yes, good good observation! I think you're on to something!

Old June 28th, 2003, 12:01 pm
Second Year

I don't know. There's got to be more to it than that because the door is locked. I mean, why can't Harry (who has it in abundance) at least go in? I just think there is more that Dumbledore isn't telling just yet.

Old June 28th, 2003, 12:07 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally posted by DWeasley (original post)
I don't know. There's got to be more to it than that because the door is locked. I mean, why can't Harry (who has it in abundance) at least go in? I just think there is more that Dumbledore isn't telling just yet.
There's probably a good reason for keeping it locked (Sirius's knife melted, didn't it?), and perhaps JK will elaborate a bit on that room ... so we'll just have to wait.

Also, if you're referring to Fudge's "private army of Heliopaths", I seriously doubt it. We may learn more about that in the future books, but Luna has always been a little out of line, hasn't she?

Old June 28th, 2003, 12:52 pm
Owner of the Only Uncensored Cat

The force of love I think is locked in that room to study...

Maybe harry should find a way to unlock it and then shove and lock Voldemort in the room!

Old June 28th, 2003, 1:12 pm
First Year

If its love, that sounds a bit cheesy. The whole love thing is a bit cheesy IMO.

What about the weapon hidden at the ministry, or was that the prophecy? The prophecy didn't seem like a weapon, more like knowledge about Harry and Voldemorts connection. Whats in the room may well be something that actually could be used to kill one of them for good.

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:41 pm
First Year

I wonder if Harry will be able to focus and manupilate that force(the force DD was refering to)...and use it against Voldemort... I think JKR will take us back to that room in the next book and explain further...

Well i hope at least she does

Freedom Ain't That Free After All...
Old June 28th, 2003, 5:50 pm
First Year

The force in the room has to be love. It's been said before that that is the one thing that Voldemort can't understand. And Harry is protected by his mother's love and that's why Quirrel could not touch him. That is the oen power that Voldemort does not have. He feels no love for anything. But Harry has love. It is a bit cheesy, but that is the only thing that it can be. It's been mentioned in previous books, so I don't see how it could be anything else.

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:59 pm
Third Year

Who would go in the room to study....could this be an area that Harry goes with Dumbledore to study the ancient magic.
What would be the requirement to open the door...to have loved and lost, to be willing to lay your life down to save others or to be able to love yourself. Harry doesn't think too highly of himself.

Would hate also be kept in the same room?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies